Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Slightly OT... Troy Smith

Now i'm an admitted Ohio State Homer, and will always be a huge fan of Troy. But am I the only person here who can't shake the feeling that he'll be a starting quarterback in the NFL at some point or another?

Troy had all but won the starting job in Baltimore prior to coming down with a bad illness. Of course, we all know how that turned out with Flacco taking over and having a solid rookie season. Nevertheless, Troy has continued to look solid, tearing it up in the preseason game this year, and playing solidly in the few opportunities for him to actually start.

I don't think the NFL would hold him at very high value since he hasn't played an entire season, but I kind of think he's the next Matt Cassel. He just needs his chance to shine in an offense and show what he can do. Anyone else agree?
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's going to be hard for a 6'0 QB making it. I'd be interested to see if he can, but the chips are stacked against him.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
It's going to be hard for a 6'0 QB making it.
Drew Brees says shut your mouth. :)
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
Drew Brees says shut your mouth. :)
Isn't Brees 6'1 or 6'2? If not, then he is an exception to the rule. Plus it's not like he started out good. He picked it up, and Cam Cameron helped him out, and from there took off. That's pretty rare to have it click like that, and for him to do well for his height.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees...e?id=BRE229498

I'm not a big Troy Smith fan and don't see him being a full time starter but I don't think his height should discredit him.

Last edited by Splat : 08-20-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Isn't Brees 6'1 or 6'2? If not, then he is an exception to the rule. Plus it's not like he started out good. He picked it up, and Cam Cameron helped him out, and from there took off. That's pretty rare to have it click like that, and for him to do well for his height.
Honestly Brees at 6' is generous. I've stood right next to him and felt significantly taller, and I'm 6'1.

That is as far as I'm willing to go when comparing Brees and Troy Smith though.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees...e?id=BRE229498

I'm not a big Troy Smith fan and don't see him being a full time starter but I don't think his height should discredit him.
I think it's a big reason. If that's the case more of these guys would be scouted and height wouldn't be a factor. I think it def. is a factor when your OL is 6'4 or higher, and you're 6 feet, it does make a difference. I think Brees really did prove to be the exception to the rule, not the norm. What he did is pretty sick in it's own right.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I just don't like when people say a player is to short or to small it has been proven time after time size is overrated being a QB makes it more of a challenge but still it can be done.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I just don't like when people say a player is to short or to small it has been proven time after time size is overrated being a QB makes it more of a challenge but still it can be done.
If that's the case scouts wouldn't make it an issue. There would be a physical attributes section, or statements like " he has great size as a good" or prototypical size. If that's the case then why hasn't someone 6 or shorter been drafting high on a consistent basis.

Just think of it this way, your system would have to be very limited, and you'd need a lot of sprint out, roll out, protections and plays. Could it work? Yeah, but it's just a hard thing in my opinion.

Why aren't there 5'10 offensive linemen? If the guy has the strength, technique and weight why don't we see a lot more of those guys? Scouts really do look for that.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

watching him while he was in baltimore I really think he can be a starter in the NFL. I am a fan of him I hope he goes and does well. Rumor has it since we brought in 2 QBs mid training camp that we may send Smith and other pieces to Denver for Brandon Marshall
Old 08-20-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea maybe he can start for Denver and Marshall can start for us :)
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has unreal mobility, a strong arm, but his accuracy is pretty bad and he does get a lot of balls batted down. I think he'll be a decent career backup, kind of like Seneca Wallace. If only he were a little bit faster he has the build to make the RB conversion ala Michael Robinson.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
He has unreal mobility, a strong arm, but his accuracy is pretty bad and he does get a lot of balls batted down. I think he'll be a decent career backup, kind of like Seneca Wallace. If only he were a little bit faster he has the build to make the RB conversion ala Michael Robinson.
I'm pretty sure Robinson is the 49ers starting FB now.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I'm pretty sure Robinson is the 49ers starting FB now.
Sure isnt, that would be Moran Norris. Robinson is our special teams ace and back up FB.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drew Brees isn't a great example, or the model for 6'0 QBs.

Thing is, Brees is about as perfect a passer as it gets, his height IS what keeps him from topping guys like Manning and Brady. A lot of his INTs and incompletions come from balls being batted at the line(probably a much higher proportion than other Elite QBs).

Troy Smith did look good going into last year, and I think he can make it, but trying to use Drew Brees as a model for success is like saying every 6' guard can be an MVP candidate because Chris Paul is.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Troy Smith has a good chance to be a solid starter. Just getting a chance will be tough. Backups are rarely given a legit shot to start when they hit the open market.

Minny trades a 3rd rounder for Sage and they still sign on old veternan and just declare him the starter. If Farve plays well he will likely re-sign, if he struggles Childress will likely get fired. A new coach probably will look at a new direction at QB. Unless Farve gets seriously injured or he really bombs early Sage probably will never get a chance.

Most teams are set at QB or have a young 1st rounder. Of the teams that don't, a lot won't want Troy Smith as a potential starter and a couple that do will end up drafting a 1st round QB.

Last edited by Bucs_Rule : 08-20-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like smith a whole lot and if he were a free agent i'd be more comfortable with him than moore or mccown

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reminds me of this:

jump to 2:50

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
But am I the only person here who can't shake the feeling that he'll be a starting quarterback in the NFL at some point or another?
yes you are. go away.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh... Stop with the Drew Brees crap. He's the exception to the rule. Just because he's one of the top quarterbacks in the league doesn't mean that every quarterback around 5'11" or 6'0" has a chance to be good.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Ugh... Stop with the Drew Brees crap. He's the exception to the rule. Just because he's one of the top quarterbacks in the league doesn't mean that every quarterback around 5'11" or 6'0" has a chance to be good.
Just like it doesn't mean that every 6'4" or 6'5" QB has a chance to be good.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
I think Troy Smith has a good chance to be a solid starter. Just getting a chance will be tough. Backups are rarely given a legit shot to start when they hit the open market.

Minny trades a 3rd rounder for Sage and they still sign on old veternan and just declare him the starter. If Farve plays well he will likely re-sign, if he struggles Childress will likely get fired. A new coach probably will look at a new direction at QB. Unless Farve gets seriously injured or he really bombs early Sage probably will never get a chance.

Most teams are set at QB or have a young 1st rounder. Of the teams that don't, a lot won't want Troy Smith as a potential starter and a couple that do will end up drafting a 1st round QB.
Unless a Matt Schaub type of situation arises.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
reminds me of this:

jump to 2:50
God bless you, Sal. **** Troy Smith.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IIRC Troy looked pretty good in his short stint as a starter. I think I would take him over Tavares Jackson and Alex Smith.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
IIRC Troy looked pretty good in his short stint as a starter. I think I would take him over Tavares Jackson and Alex Smith.
There's a lot of guys I would throw out there instead of those two.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote