Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:27 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, this is much more of a problem with the scoreboard placement than it is that the punter hit it. It's not so much that the punter might not be great, but the fact that it can be hit. No punter is perfect, so even that one time a season that they do hit the scoreboard is enough to say it's a terrible layout.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 PM    (permalink
u8pp
Rookie

u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.

Me thinks Jerra might be overcompensating for something else of his that isn't very big...
u8pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love it. Anything that pisses Jerry Jones off is awesome.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Jerry's board isn't moving at least not until Bono comes to Arlington.

http://startelegramsports.typepad.co...deo-board.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/528/story/1566941.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...124a4f032.html

It seems to indicate this could be revisited after this season to possibly change the 85 foot league specification.

Last edited by dpl85 : 08-28-2009 at 10:39 AM.
dpl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all fairness to Jerry, he put it higher than the league asked him to and it still became an obstacle.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how this is such a hot topic. If he isn't required to move it per NFL regulations, then he doesn't need to move it. Its as simple as that. People love to get on Jones' case whenever possible, but he has done nothing wrong, and everyone and their mom want to throw him under the bus becuase of this. Im not Jerry Jones' biggest fan at all, I think he is the embodiment of "stuck-up white-collar". Also Cowboys' play-by-play man Brad Sham (who has been doing his job for over 30 years) said AS SOON as the ball left Trapasso's foot that the punt looked like it would be quite short(because of how vertical it was) and speculated right on the spot that he was trying to hit the scoreboard. Now lets hear your thoughts on that, and don't tell me "Oh well Sham IS the COWBOYS play-by-play man so OF COURSE he would say that!" Give me a better reason than that.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076 View Post
I love how this is such a hot topic. If he isn't required to move it per NFL regulations, then he doesn't need to move it. Its as simple as that. People love to get on Jones' case whenever possible, but he has done nothing wrong, and everyone and their mom want to throw him under the bus becuase of this. Im not Jerry Jones' biggest fan at all, I think he is the embodiment of "stuck-up white-collar". Also Cowboys' play-by-play man Brad Sham (who has been doing his job for over 30 years) said AS SOON as the ball left Trapasso's foot that the punt looked like it would be quite short(because of how vertical it was) and speculated right on the spot that he was trying to hit the scoreboard. Now lets hear your thoughts on that, and don't tell me "Oh well Sham IS the COWBOYS play-by-play man so OF COURSE he would say that!" Give me a better reason than that.
Uh, if I remember correctly during the pre-game they said BOTH punters were hitting the scoreboard before the game with regularity on the Fox broadcast.

And yeah, it kind of is a sham to take anything the play by play man from the home team says seriously, regardless of who it is or what team he is broadcasting for. Pretty much all pre-season broadcasters are homers because thats what they're paid to do.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Uh, if I remember correctly during the pre-game they said BOTH punters were hitting the scoreboard before the game with regularity on the Fox broadcast.
That's because they were aiming for it. It's not like they were taking real ingame punts during the warm ups. They were having a game of tag the video screen.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
That's because they were aiming for it. It's not like they were taking real ingame punts during the warm ups. They were having a game of tag the video screen.
Were they? I don't remember if they showed them actually punting so I can't say. Nonetheless, if both punters can hit it with regularity in pre-game warm ups I would say that there are still going to be plenty of instances when a punter isn't trying to drill it and it does happen.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The NFL has ruled that the down will be replayed and clock will be reset if a football hits the massive video display board that hangs over the field at Cowboys Stadium.
Perhaps the key piece of the ruling, issued Friday morning, is that it is only for this season. The league can review it after the season.
By setting the video boards 90 feet above the field, the Cowboys cleared the current league standard by 5 feet. But this action indicates the 85-foot rule might be re-examined in the offseason, which could force the first major renovation to the $1.15 billion stadium.
This could work to some punters advantage. If I were a punter and I was getting rushed, I would just kick it straight at the screen if possible and then just replay the down and hope my blocking or snap is better the next time. Also couldn't a qb pretty much throw the ball at the screen and not get called for intentional grounding? I see more problems ahead with this, should be interesting.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the leagues fault, not Jerry's. I think they realized 85 feet, or even 90 isn't high enough. Personally I think if it can be raised it should, as long as people realize who is at fault here. Can't blame Jerry when he went over what they told him to place it at.

I don't think they have worked out little things like what if their was a penalty prior to it hitting the screen, holding, running into the punter etc etc, lots of minor details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caleb Hanie and Jay Cutler have discussed in practice whether or not Jay could hit the scoreboard throwing.

Unfortunately, Bears don't play @ Dallas this year, but there's always the playoffs.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 08-28-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Caleb Hanie and Jay Cutler have discussed in practice whether or not Jay could hit the scoreboard throwing.
O didn't you know Jay Cutler can hit it the Dallas video screen form Chicago on his knees with the wind blowing.

Last edited by Splat : 08-28-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
O didn't you know Jay Cutler can hit it form Chicago on his knees with the wind blowing.
Wind is not necessary. In fact, he will wait until the wind is blowing in to attempt it.

Happy Jay Cutler Day all!

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the do over rule is so flawed.

what if its 4th down with 2 minutes left on the 50. and you have to convert to keep that drive going to win the game.

qb in shotgun hikes the ball, sees a ton of guys about to sack him so the play is about to end, and instead of throwing up a prayer, aims for the scoreboard and hits it for a do over.

Now they get a 2nd chance on 4th down.

I think this rule is very flawed.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree the rule is flawed but on paper Dallas didn't break any rules so it is what it is I'm sure the rule will be tweaked some.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this isn't dallas's fault. the league dropped the ball on this one.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:58 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
the do over rule is so flawed.

what if its 4th down with 2 minutes left on the 50. and you have to convert to keep that drive going to win the game.

qb in shotgun hikes the ball, sees a ton of guys about to sack him so the play is about to end, and instead of throwing up a prayer, aims for the scoreboard and hits it for a do over.

Now they get a 2nd chance on 4th down.

I think this rule is very flawed.
no way that a qb can make that scoreboard, it does work with fake punts prolly.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
no way that a qb can make that scoreboard, it does work with fake punts prolly.
Jay Cutler would give it an extra asshole.

Then he'd flex his muscles, and all the women in the stadium would faint.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
This is the leagues fault, not Jerry's. I think they realized 85 feet, or even 90 isn't high enough. Personally I think if it can be raised it should, as long as people realize who is at fault here. Can't blame Jerry when he went over what they told him to place it at.

I don't think they have worked out little things like what if their was a penalty prior to it hitting the screen, holding, running into the punter etc etc, lots of minor details.
Im not sure if he talked with the league beforehand or not. I heard reports of Jerry using surveyors during last preseason at the Alamodome. Jones supposedly asked Mat McBriar to punt a bunch of balls for the surveyors so they could see how high the videoboard would need to be placed. Thats what I heard on one of the radio shows on the Cowboys' website.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Jay Cutler would give it an extra asshole.

Then he'd flex his muscles, and all the women in the stadium would faint.
I'd like to see Cutler and Orton in a drinking contest a la Marianne's intro in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
I'd like to see Cutler and Orton in a drinking contest a la Marianne's intro in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Orton wins hands down. The man does not have the diabeetus so it is not a fair fight. However, Sexy Rexy vs Cutler in a wetting panties contest would be a different discussion.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
Orton wins hands down. The man does not have the diabeetus so it is not a fair fight. However, Sexy Rexy vs Cutler in a wetting panties contest would be a different discussion.
drinking game, alex boone is in

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

49ers P Lee also hits Cowboys video boards
Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
This is definitely gonna be a big problem for Jerry Jones, the NFL may have to forcibly make Jones elevate the video boards, twice in the preseason... this will happen many many more times in the regular season.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote