Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC East Division Forum

NFC East Division Forum Discuss the NFC East

Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default My Crystal Ball says...

My Crystal Ball says...

This is how the NFC East final standings will look like:

NY Giants 11-5 - NFC East Champions, First Round Bye
Dallas Cowboys 10-6 Wild Card
Philadelphia Eagles 7-9
Washington Redskins 6-10

Notes:

- The Giants will face some early to midseason tribulation, but will acquire a big piece in a trade (perhaps Anquan Boldin?) that will boost their playoff push. Injuries will hurt them early on, but will return in time to help them make a SB run. Bernard turns out to be a better player than Canty. Hakeem Nicks is ok, but is just another rookie still learning the game. Terrell Thomas leads the team in take aways (combination of FF, FR, INTs). Both Osi and Tuck finish with 13-15 sacks.

- Tony Romo will have his best statistical season and lead the team to their first playoff win...possibly more. A SB run is legit. Breakout seasons for Felix Jones, Martellus Bennett, and Sam Hurd. Roy Williams does everything as asked, but finishes with less than 1000 yards and 10 TDs. Jason Garrett turns into everyone's Hero, takes over as HC. Wade stays on as DC. Dallas leads the league in sacks. Terence Newman reaches All-Pro status. DeMarcus Ware is League MVP and breaks Strahan's sack record. *Thanks to Jason Peters*

- This is the year Westbrook starts to show signs of slowing down. He's no longer the #1 threat in the NFC East as he used to be. That title now belongs to Felix Jones. Youth shines in Philly, but is not enough to carry the team. Injury bug will bite hard. Michael Vick will start a game. They are the biggest disappointment in the division. They will be in last place for most of the year, then leapfrog Washington by a game to finish out the season. Shady McCoy is LEGIT.

- Washington's Defense is statistically best in the division according to Points Allowed, but the offense will have a ton of difficulty scoring. The Jason Campbell Project fails. Colt Brennan will get some time and win 1 or 2 games. Clinton Portis hobbles to the finish line. Washington will look to address QB, RB, and OL. Devin Thomas shows flashes of greatness. DeAngelo Hall returns to Pro Bowl form. Carlos Rogers returns to horrible form. Washington never drafts a player from Auburn again in the history of time. :D

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-26-2009 at 01:33 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has 6 games in the NFL really made Felix Jones a bigger threat than Westbrook? No, not yet at least.

And that sounds REALLY optimistic for the Cowboys, superbowlz?!?!?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Dallas Cowboys 10-6 Wild Card
Well well well, look who came around. ;)

Before, D-Unit was like

Last edited by Geo : 08-25-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Well well well, look who came around. ;)

Before, D-Unit was like

Can't see that here, but yes, I have come around. The draft pissed me off royally and I was in a bummy mood. I think it's going to hurt us more down the line than immediately now. Still think it was a crummy draft today. I mean, the biggest impact guy for us this year is a kicker imo. lol. Outside of Jason Williams, I can't say that I have much of a hope that any other player will be a starter one day.

But last year we were 9-7 and missed Romo for 3 games and Felix for pretty much the season. 10-6 isn't a far reach if everyone is healthy.

Plus actually, I have been harder on the Cowboys IN the Cowboys forum, but in other places on the forum, I have defended them.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34372

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-25-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

BTW, this thread is meant for all of you guys to post your own Crystal Ball posts too. Not just mine. :p
Old 08-25-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol D-Unit you better hope that o-line remains heathly and somehow can stop speed rushers off the edge.

I see the Giants domnating the entire NFC, 12-4/14-2. The second team will be the Eagles with a 11-5/10-6 record, the talent they have on the skill postions, and trenches, are too deep to not have success. The loses of their MLB and Johnson will lose them some games though. Next, the Cowboys. I believe they lose more then gained anything in an already weak front 7. A lot of questions remain on that offense so I see them going 8-9/7-9. The Redskins spent too much money on less players; the o-line isn't depenable to help out Portis and their passing attack can not dominate games, because of poor QB play. The defense is full of what ifs and not much depth behind the starters, so i predict a 6-10/4-12 season.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
u8pp
Rookie

u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.

I'm an Eagles fan and I say
Giants 11-5
Eagles 10-6
Cowboys 8-8
Redskins 7-9

Once again the NFC East retains its status as the best division in football. Every game between division opponents is a tight-played two-way physical beatdown. Eagles and Giants play each other in the NFC Championship.
u8pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
lol D-Unit you better hope that o-line remains heathly and somehow can stop speed rushers off the edge.

I see the Giants domnating the entire NFC, 12-4/14-2. The second team will be the Eagles with a 11-5/10-6 record, the talent they have on the skill postions, and trenches, are too deep to not have success. The loses of their MLB and Johnson will lose them some games though. Next, the Cowboys. I believe they lose more then gained anything in an already weak front 7. A lot of questions remain on that offense so I see them going 8-9/7-9. The Redskins spent too much money on less players; the o-line isn't depenable to help out Portis and their passing attack can not dominate games, because of poor QB play. The defense is full of what ifs and not much depth behind the starters, so i predict a 6-10/4-12 season.
Well, I do have the Giants winning the NFC East, so we're not far off.

The Eagles have most of the world thinking they are as good as you're saying. I'm just not buying it. I know I'm going against the grain by saying what I said.

The Cowboys so called, "weak front 7" lead the league in sacks last year and we really focused on addressing our defense in FA and the draft. Questions on offense sure... but that doesn't mean those questions won't be answered. It's like your justification for them being bad is that there is an unknown factor. If there are questions, then how can you already answer it with a bad answer? If it's bad, then there's no question about it. LOL. Not gonna buy that argument with no basis. There is concern about OL depth and that scares me. DL depth scares me too. So they could very well have another disappointing season if health is an issue. Not gonna deny that.

The Redskins Defense is flat out sick. They will carry the team, but we agree on where they finish in the standings (last in the NFC East). Though, I really could see them finishing above the Eagles. Right now, the Eagles are feeling so good about themselves that they love smelling their own farts. Just watch it all unravel. I see a huge collapse for them this year. A lot of people are calling them the best team in the East. We'll see about that.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dunno if 10-6 gets you a bye week.

I like the predictions though. Im also starting to think Philly is due for a let down.

Oddly enough, I think the Giants are in for one too unless we see some dramatic change from our pass protection. Dallas is poised to win the division if they stay healthy bc their depth is doo doo.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I dunno if 10-6 gets you a bye week.

I like the predictions though. Im also starting to think Philly is due for a let down.

Oddly enough, I think the Giants are in for one too unless we see some dramatic change from our pass protection. Dallas is poised to win the division if they stay healthy bc their depth is doo doo.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. I'll give you guys an extra win because I feel more strongly about you guys getting the bye week than finishing 10-6.

You're like the only non-Cowboys fan that I've heard say that Dallas is poised to win the Division. I love guys who have the balls to say things that are against the grain. ;)

... I mean Cowboys fans say that all over the place, but they are only homers when they say that. hahaha.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
- Tony Romo will have his best statistical season and lead the team to their first playoff win...possibly more. A SB run is legit. Breakout seasons for Felix Jones, Martellus Bennett, and Sam Hurd. Roy Williams does everything as asked, but finishes with less than 1000 yards and 10 TDs. Jason Garrett turns into everyone's Hero, takes over as HC. Wade stays on as DC. Dallas leads the league in sacks. Terence Newman reaches All-Pro status. DeMarcus Ware is League MVP and breaks Strahan's sack record. *Thanks to Jason Peters*
Really? How has nobody even noted how homer this is?

-Tony Romo has a breakout year? WHAT? So he loses his best and favorite target and somehow he manages to improve? Sorry it doesn't work like that. All you have to do is look at what happens when TO leaves. Jeff Garcia never again topped 13 TD passes or 3000 yards without TO when with TO, Garcia was throwing for 32 touchdowns and 4000 yards. When he left Philly? Same. McNabb put up career numbers with TO and has yet to put up the numbers he put up with TO. So is Tony Romo going to magically break the pattern? I highly doubt that. Terrell Owens was Romo's favorite target, he targeted Owens on 115 throws. I find it incredible that anyone could actually believe that Romo will get better without TO, what is your logic? Your logic is "I'm a Cowboys Fan."

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...age=200932qDAL
Quote:
Consider this: Of Romo's 450 passes last season, 115 of them -- 25.6 percent -- were intended for T.O. Sure, he caught only 57 of those balls, but that was more than enough for 952 yards, which was 27.6 percent of Romo's total yardage for the season, not to mention 34.6 percent of his touchdown passes. At an average of 16.7 yards per reception.
And now you replace him with Roy Williams? The same receiver who has only topped 65 receptions and 1000 yards once, both of which happened when he played in Mike Martz's system. And don't tell me he wasn't a target, he was thrown to 82 times and he caught on 44% of those. And he says he swallowed the playbook so that wasn't an issue according to him.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0...html?post=true
Quote:
The Tony Romo to Roy Williams connection is still a work in progress. On one play, Williams ran a post route, but Romo threw a corner route about 15 yards away from him.
Also some reports have him throwing fits in the middle of the field because he gets open but Romo doesn’t see him. One scene that I recall is him jumping up and down and flailing his arms in the middle of the field while yelling at Romo that he was open. That sounds like a classic TO move not Roy Williams.

Oh and then there is this:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...allas-offense/
Quote:
Receiver Roy Williams went public with his displeasure about the Cowboys’ offense on Friday in a series of radio interviews.

He said the Cowboys had “the easiest offense to figure out” and that his former team, the 0-16 Detroit Lions, practiced harder than the Cowboys.

On ESPN-FM 103.3, Williams said the Cowboys need to move people around just to change things up.

“But, like I said, I’m a coachable wide receiver,” Williams said. “I’ll run what I’m supposed to run. And I’ll continue to have the cornerbacks ask me, ‘Why do they got you running this same thing over and over again.’ ”

Williams was acquired at the trade deadline, and it was thought he could help take pressure off Terrell Owens. But Williams, who had 19 catches for 198 yards and one touchdown, made no real impact.

At one point, Williams said of quarterback Tony Romo, “The gunslinger ain’t looking my way.” Williams also claimed learning the playbook wasn’t an issue.

“I’ve done swallowed that thing whole,” he said.

Williams had at least one idea how he could get more involved.

“We can start with like a slant or something,” Williams said on 103.3. “I feel like I’m a pretty good receiver. I can catch a slant and turn it into a 20-yard gain or something, but I didn’t run a slant this past season until the Philly game.”
And a superbowl run is legit? Yeah, OK.

Martellus Bennett and Felix Jones might break out but will Sam Hurd? Why would he break out? Its not like he is taking a larger role seeing as he was a #2 before and didn't do anything so why would he now?

Sorry Jason Garrett is an awful coordinator who wants to throw throw throw when he has 3 great backs and he really lacks creativity and is predictable as Roy Williams pointed out. And Jerry Jones was practically forcing him out the door this season when other teams were looking for a HC, Jerry Jones was recommending him left and right, but why would he recommend him if he is the future HC of the Cowboys? He was trying to get Garrett's contract off his hands because he figure out that he doesn't deserve it.

And then not only does Jason Garrett save the Cowboy's day, Wade Phillips is so overjoyed that he takes a downgrade! Wow, all is good in Cowboy land I guess...

What reasoning do you have to believe that Newman will be an all-pro? He really struggled last year and was not even a top 50 CB in the NFL and he is injury prone, not to mention he is in his thirties and on the decline.

How do you expect the Cowboys to make the playoffs when your offensive line is awful, your defense is the worst in the division, your receivers are the worst in the division, the only pass rusher you have is DeMarcus Ware and you lost your best receiver and offensive playmaker. Not to mention that your run defense aside from Ware isn't great. (please question me on these)

Quote:
- This is the year Westbrook starts to show signs of slowing down. He's no longer the #1 threat in the NFC East as he used to be. That title now belongs to Felix Jones. Youth shines in Philly, but is not enough to carry the team. Injury bug will bite hard. Michael Vick will start a game. They are the biggest disappointment in the division. They will be in last place for most of the year, then leapfrog Washington by a game to finish out the season. Shady McCoy is LEGIT.
Ugh. How in the world does Felix Jones now have the title of best weapon in the NFC East? I'm not even sure if Westbrook is, but to say Felix Jones is is just crazy. Because essentially what you're telling me is that Felix Jones, the guy who caught a grand total of 2 passes and ran over some of the worst defenses in the NFL is the best weapon in the NFC East.

Yeah, when Felix Jones ran against a team in the top half of the NFL in run defense he averaged 3.3 yards per carry. Other than that he ran over the 28th, 26th, 21st and 16th rated run defenses. And he didn't do as fantastic as some would have you believe. Sure he had a great average but that was because he would bust a long run, if you take away all the big plays you have an above average back. If you take away his big runs, you still have him running at a respectable 4.5 average but it kind of brings his numbers back down to earth because 4 of his carries went for 148 yards.

Last edited by Thumper : 08-25-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

-Tony Romo has a breakout year? WHAT? So he loses his best and favorite target and somehow he manages to improve? Sorry it doesn't work like that. All you have to do is look at what happens when TO leaves. Jeff Garcia never again topped 13 TD passes or 3000 yards without TO when with TO, Garcia was throwing for 32 touchdowns and 4000 yards. When he left Philly? Same. McNabb put up career numbers with TO and has yet to put up the numbers he put up with TO. So is Tony Romo going to magically break the pattern? I highly doubt that. Terrell Owens was Romo's favorite target, he targeted Owens on 115 throws. I find it incredible that anyone could actually believe that Romo will get better without TO, what is your logic? Your logic is "I'm a Cowboys Fan."

And now you replace him with Roy Williams? The same receiver who has only topped 65 receptions and 1000 yards once, both of which happened when he played in Mike Martz's system. And don't tell me he wasn't a target, he was thrown to 82 times and he caught on 44% of those. And he says he swallowed the playbook so that wasn't an issue according to him.

Also some reports have him throwing fits in the middle of the field because he gets open but Romo doesn’t see him. One scene that I recall is him jumping up and down and flailing his arms in the middle of the field while yelling at Romo that he was open. That sounds like a classic TO move not Roy Williams.

Martellus Bennett and Felix Jones might break out but will Sam Hurd? Why would he break out? Its not like he is taking a larger role seeing as he was a #2 before and didn't do anything so why would he now?

Sorry Jason Garrett is an awful coordinator who wants to throw throw throw when he has 3 great backs and he really lacks creativity and is predictable as Roy Williams pointed out. And Jerry Jones was practically forcing him out the door this season when other teams were looking for a HC, Jerry Jones was recommending him left and right, but why would he recommend him if he is the future HC of the Cowboys? He was trying to get Garrett's contract off his hands because he figure out that he doesn't deserve it.

And then not only does Jason Garrett save the Cowboy's day, Wade Phillips is so overjoyed that he takes a downgrade! Wow, all is good in Cowboy land I guess...

What reasoning do you have to believe that Newman will be an all-pro? He really struggled last year and was not even a top 50 CB in the NFL and he is injury prone, not to mention he is in his thirties and on the decline.

How do you expect the Cowboys to make the playoffs when your offensive line is awful, your defense is the worst in the division, your receivers are the worst in the division, the only pass rusher you have is DeMarcus Ware and you lost your best receiver and offensive playmaker. Not to mention that your run defense aside from Ware isn't great. (please question me on these)

Ugh. How in the world does Felix Jones now have the title of best weapon in the NFC East? I'm not even sure if Westbrook is, but to say Felix Jones is is just crazy. Because essentially what you're telling me is that Felix Jones, the guy who caught a grand total of 2 passes and ran over some of the worst defenses in the NFL is the best weapon in the NFC East.

Yeah, when Felix Jones ran against a team in the top half of the NFL in run defense he averaged 3.3 yards per carry. Other than that he ran over the 28th, 26th, 21st and 16th rated run defenses. And he didn't do as fantastic as some would have you believe. Sure he had a great average but that was because he would bust a long run, if you take away all the big plays you have an above average back. If you take away his big runs, you still have him running at a respectable 4.5 average but it kind of brings his numbers back down to earth because 4 of his carries went for 148 yards.
Several things wrong with your post.

1) Saying the loss of TO will hurt because it hurt everytime he left teams in the past is a completely irrelevant point. Those teams relied on TO too much because he was the only weapon. Our problem was the opposite. We relied on TO too much and neglected our other weapons. There is plenty of options for Romo to go to now that TO is gone. Dallas is not left with an empty basket like Philly and San Fran were when TO left.

2) You can criticize Roy. As I pointed out, he'll finish the year with less than 1000 yards and 10 TDs. Thereby, NOT technically filling TOs shoes. So I have no argument there. Just listen to me when I say he won't be used and targeted the same way TO was.

3) Your links about Roy are outdated. ...and yes, June 9th, the beginning of TC is outdated. Roy and Romo have had many a good practice since.

4) Sam Hurd... breakout year. Not saying he'll have great stats or anything, he'll just be an impact player, unlike what he's been in the past. I know his past doesn't indicate that he'll do it (like you're trying to use as justification). That's the reason why I have him as a breakout player, duh.

5) Jason Garrett has taken a large burden upon his shoulders to repair his reputation and we've already seen some major adjustments being made. You'll see. I just have a feeling it's going to work out.

6) Newman did not in fact "really struggle" last year. He had a down year according to his own standards, but his standards are elite level. He also was dealing with injuries and he looks like he's now in the best shape of his life. This one is a bit homeristic, but I've seen proof of how good he can be and he was always borderline All-Pro.

7) Our OL depth looks awful, but to say our starting 5 is awful is just hatin'.

8) Our defense is the worst in the division? Let's see how this plays out before you give them that label. Last year, we lead the league in sacks. Expect more of that pressure in the backfield. I'm just loving how terrible Jason Peters has looked so far. Demarcus Ware says... Yummmm....

9) You can criticize Felix Jones now. Please continue to do so. He's going to overtake Westbrook as the most dynamic playmaking threat in the division this year. Yeah... That's what I'm saying.

These points I'm making are bold. No going around that. I'm not denying that it defies logic. You'll just have to watch it unfold. Keep giving me fodder. Either you or me will be eating a lot of crow. haha.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love me some bold predictions :)
Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
i love me some bold predictions :)
Yes, and let's see more! :) What do you guys think about this upcoming season?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those with signatures turned off and can't see the link: Outlook on the 2009 NFL season
Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
For those with signatures turned off and can't see the link: Outlook on the 2009 NFL season
Giants NOT in the playoffs.... You ARE bold. :)

Love the guts to call it now.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Ummm....

I'm an Eagles fan, and D-Init and I have butted heads it seems recently, but this is laughable.

Not anywhere that I saw (got tired of reading about 3/4 of the way through) did you mention Jason Witten. Jason Witten, you know, the #1 TE in the whole NFL right now?

Now Felix may not be wuite what D-Unit is billing him up to be, (I don't know, I haven't seen enough of him) but I have seen enough of him to know that he is a dangerous weapon who will make plays, and you can't just tazke away his big plays when you are in arguments like this, he did what he did, and if you take away any of his results it makes your results useless. Sorry, just the way it is.

Martellus Bennett scares me. For real. He will step up and show some great performances if the coaching staff allows him the chance, which they should.

As for the WRs that D-Unit mentioned, I'm not really sure where Roy stands, but without any statistical information, I feel like he won't be a big factor. Won't flop, but won't have the impact that many Cowboy fans hope. Just a gut feeling.

Sam Hurd has been supposed to break out for 2 years now. Miles Austin too for a while I heard. I have one of those gut feelings that the team is getting a little too high on their backup WRs in recent years.

As for Romo having a career year, I can't see it. He will put up solid numbers statistically, if only because of the playcalling, but despite the Cowboys fans statement that losign TO won't hurt them. I got news for them... it will, maybe not so much because you have good receiving options elsewhere, particularly in Witten, but it will impact the team greatly. It has happened everywhere else when he is left, so don't expect much different here.

I personally love the Cowboys three headed attack. Barber is one of my favorite backs in the league, and Felix Jones has incredible talent, no doubt about it. Tashard Choice is also a great RB. On many teams, he would at least be a #2 RB, if not seeing significant action in a 2 back system. I think the Cowboys offense would benefit greatly if they dedicate more offensive playcalling to running the ball. It not only takes advantage of the skill players at RB, but it plays into the advatages of the O-line and with two TEs who are good blockers, it is an added bonus. Will Garrett make the switch to a more run-heavy attack? I don't think so, which leads me to my next point.

The O-line has some major concerns, particularly when it comes to health and when it comes to pass protection. They are a great group of run blockers, but pass pro is not what they are best at, and overall, it is a major weakness in that line. I think Garret can minimize the effect of this weakness with more run plays, but once again, I don't think that is a big issue.

Dallas front 7 is a minor issue. DeMarcus Ware is a beast and always will be, and as a result, gets a lot of attention and can help mask some weaknesses in the front 7. As it was last year, that front 7 had issues against the run, and as much as I love Jay Ratliff, he is a small part of that. Ratliff himself is good against the run, he has quicknees to compensate for his size, but for some reason, the coaching staff doesn't seem confident in his run stopping abilities because other defenders are brought inside when many instances it isn't needed, and that results in holes in the running game elsewhere. There are some unproven/new guys there as well, it is something to watch.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Several things wrong with your post.

1) Saying the loss of TO will hurt because it hurt everytime he left teams in the past is a completely irrelevant point. Those teams relied on TO too much because he was the only weapon. Our problem was the opposite. We relied on TO too much and neglected our other weapons. There is plenty of options for Romo to go to now that TO is gone. Dallas is not left with an empty basket like Philly and San Fran were when TO left.

2) You can criticize Roy. As I pointed out, he'll finish the year with less than 1000 yards and 10 TDs. Thereby, NOT technically filling TOs shoes. So I have no argument there. Just listen to me when I say he won't be used and targeted the same way TO was.

3) Your links about Roy are outdated. ...and yes, June 9th, the beginning of TC is outdated. Roy and Romo have had many a good practice since.

4) Sam Hurd... breakout year. Not saying he'll have great stats or anything, he'll just be an impact player, unlike what he's been in the past. I know his past doesn't indicate that he'll do it (like you're trying to use as justification). That's the reason why I have him as a breakout player, duh.

5) Jason Garrett has taken a large burden upon his shoulders to repair his reputation and we've already seen some major adjustments being made. You'll see. I just have a feeling it's going to work out.

6) Newman did not in fact "really struggle" last year. He had a down year according to his own standards, but his standards are elite level. He also was dealing with injuries and he looks like he's now in the best shape of his life. This one is a bit homeristic, but I've seen proof of how good he can be and he was always borderline All-Pro.

7) Our OL depth looks awful, but to say our starting 5 is awful is just hatin'.

8) Our defense is the worst in the division? Let's see how this plays out before you give them that label. Last year, we lead the league in sacks. Expect more of that pressure in the backfield. I'm just loving how terrible Jason Peters has looked so far. Demarcus Ware says... Yummmm....

9) You can criticize Felix Jones now. Please continue to do so. He's going to overtake Westbrook as the most dynamic playmaking threat in the division this year. Yeah... That's what I'm saying.

These points I'm making are bold. No going around that. I'm not denying that it defies logic. You'll just have to watch it unfold. Keep giving me fodder. Either you or me will be eating a lot of crow. haha.
No major issues with this except for a few minor things...

As it stands now, I do think the Cowboys overall defense is the worst in the division. Now "worst" here still probably means top 12 or so in the NFL, if not more, but i believe the Giants and Redskins defenses will be very good, if not dominant, and the Eagles have a great defense as well. The Cowboys are hurt by the run game, that is my big thing here.

Also, Jason Peters has played maybe, maybe 20 snaps on the Eagles. He gave up 2 sacks, I am aware, but look at the sacks. One of which he plain got beat off the edge, but the other was a communication mistake that he will have hammered out by the time the season comes around. And he had been working on new footwork before the first preseason game with Juan Castillo, and as a result, if you look when he got beat off the edge, he mixed (what I assume) is his footwork in Buffalo with the footwork being taught to him by Castillo, and it resulted in some wasted movement, which contributes a bit to him getting beat in that play. Once he is familiar with the blocking scheme and with the rest of the OL, I don't think it will be as big of an issue as you are making it out to be. Though I fully expect Ware to notch some sacks in the 2 games just simply because Ware is a monster.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Well D-unit is the only other one, so here are some of my NFC East Bold predictions...

Eagles: 11-5 (#2 in NFC)
Giants: 11-5 (#5, wildcard)
Cowboys: 8-8
Redskins: 6-10

You can +/- each record one or two games, that about how I see it playing out.

Eagles:
Donovan will approach his best statistical year. With all these versatile weapons, it is bound to happen.

LeSean McCoy will have over 1,100 all purpose yards (I feel like I'm being conservative with this)

DeSean Jackson will have 1,200+ yards and ~8 TDs

Quentin Mikell will have an All-Pro calibur season. Does he get the status...?

Asante Samuel will have 6 INTS, 2 TDs, and give up 6 TDs this season, all while never tackling anyone...lol.

Andy Reid will show an unheard of commitment to running the football.

Leonard Weaver will steal hearts and bring joy to the earth.

Giants:

Jacobs will easily eclipse 1,000 yards and Bradshaw will near it, if not pass it as well.

Hakeem Nicks will be inconsistent, but will have at least 3 100 yard receiving games, as well as 7 or more TDs.

Steve Smith will step up and be like Amani Toomer has been in recent years, only better.

Osi and Tuck will both have ~12 sacks, maybe more.

Antonio Pierce will race Molasses down a hill... and lose.

Kenny Phillips will be surprisingly... average.

Madison Hedgecock will steal hearts and bring joy to the earth.

Cowboys:

Witten will have 1,200+ yards and 12+ TDs.

Bennett will have near 50 receptions, and will be lined up all over the place.

Felix Jones will have 1,100+ all-purpose yards (Once again, feel like I'm being conservative)

DeMarcus Ware will once again challenge the season sack record, tying it this time.

The scoreboard will be hit 8+ times this season.

Redskins:

Chris Cooley will show his ***** another time on his website.

Campbell will pick up his play to that of an average NFL QB, making the decision to let him go tougher.

Albert Haynesworth will perform under expectation.

Orakpo will show everyone major glimpses, and will prove to be the pass rusher the Skins have missed for so long. (If he is ever moved back to DE)

Laron Landry will go back in time and conceive Jesus, who is actualy Jordy Nelson.

Mike Sellers will steal hearts and bring joy to the earth.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Nobody on the Cowboys will steal hearts and bring joy to the earth? :(

I like most of your calls.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this post is reserved for my bold predictions that I'll post around 10ish. they're awesome fyi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Witten will have 1,200+ yards and 12+ TDs.
What is the best statistical year for a TE? Because those numbers would be ridiculous.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ok, here it goes. Just some minor things I think/feel will happen.

Giants:

-Eli will cement himself as one of the betterQB's in the league. He'll put up nice numbers and win games with what is not a very good or experienced WR corps.

- Our WR corps will have some guys step up on some days, and others on others. No one will seperate themselves as our #1 guy. But Steve Smith will turn some heads. He will emerge as our top guy.

-Osi will remind you how great a player he really is. Extremist elert, BUT: Osi will finish this year and have people talking about him as the #1 DE in the game after this season. 17+ sacks.

- Kevin Boss will be our leading TD guy with around 7 or 8.

- Bradshaw and Jacobs will each eclipse the 1,000 yard mark.

-Ray Rice will emerge as an elite back, breaking the single season rushing record.

-Kenny Phillips will become the next great safety from the "U". He'll reach stud status. Behind Osi, I'm most excited for KP this year.

-Jeff Feagles will continue to defy father time and be more awesome than anyone on Philly, Dallas or Washington.

Iggles:

-Vick will make for an exciting addition. It'll be rusty and not fluid the first 1-2weeks, but weeks 3-7 Vick on the iggs will take the league by storm. Until the league figures out how to shut it down.

-Philly's offense will rip defenses because of their immense speed.

-Their downfall will be if a team out muscles them and figures out a way to keep a check on Westy

-Westy's health is the key. Yea, there's shady. But it's all on Westy and Mcnabb staying healthy.

-Minus JJ (RIP), Dawkins, and Bradley, this defense takes a step or 2 back. Cole loses a step as well, having an off year. (with like 8 sacks still)

Washington:

- I will continue to feel terrible for Jason Campbell and how poorly the Skins have treated him

-Clinton Portis will be awesome.

-However, the rest of the Skins offense will not be.

-Fat Albert will be good. that's it. not great, not dominant, just good.

-Rocky Mac will devour souls and be awesome.

-The Skins corners don't fix their bad case of stone hands

-Laron Landry will lay lots o' people out.

-Except Brandon Jacobs.

-Chris Cooley is recognized as just annoying now.

Dallas:

-Tony Romo isn't the golden boy. And it'll show. He's nothing without Jessica

-Witten will prove he's the best TE in the league. so much so that I'll actually admit it. but i'll still hate his stupid hick face and dumbness

-Martellus Bennet will make a Crunch Berries commercial. and proceed to put up very large numbers.

-Tashard Choice will be better than Felix Jones who'll start sliding to the "bust" catagory after a very disappointing year.

-if one starter on the OL goes down(for more than 2 games), Romo will get injured this season

-Speed rushers will continue to destroy the cowboys OL.

-Barber will cement himself...as the 4th best starter....in the division.

-Garrett will get his stuff together and utilize his plethora of backs and TE's to make up for the extreme lack of talent at WR, making the offense dangerous at times.

records? well since you asked:

Giants 11-5 (division winners)
Eagles: 10-6 (WC)
Cowboys: 7-9 (worst possible scenario for them. they need to win now or tank. Tank to get a stud in the draft and ditch Wade or make the playoffs, winning's contagious)
Skins: 6-10 (they show flashes, but this OL is not good and I don't like the way they're put together. oh and Campbell gives the whole team the bird and just stops playing.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
ok, here it goes. Just some minor things I think/feel will happen.

-Ray Rice will emerge as an elite back, breaking the single season rushing record.
I hope so :D.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Ummm....

I'm an Eagles fan, and D-Init and I have butted heads it seems recently, but this is laughable.
K.

Quote:
Not anywhere that I saw (got tired of reading about 3/4 of the way through) did you mention Jason Witten. Jason Witten, you know, the #1 TE in the whole NFL right now?
Yes. I am aware of Jason Witten, but could you please show me where D-Unit mentioned him? Why would I mention someone that we're not debating? Kind of dumb.

Quote:
Now Felix may not be wuite what D-Unit is billing him up to be, (I don't know, I haven't seen enough of him) but I have seen enough of him to know that he is a dangerous weapon who will make plays, and you can't just tazke away his big plays when you are in arguments like this, he did what he did, and if you take away any of his results it makes your results useless. Sorry, just the way it is.
Fantastic, he might be the best Cowboy's weapon but is he really the best weapon in the NFC East after playing 6 games against some of the worst defenses in the NFL, caught 2 passes and when he actually faced a decent defense he averaged below 4 yards. Sorry but he is not the best weapon in the NFC East, but that isn't to say that he isn't a good weapon.

Quote:
Martellus Bennett scares me. For real. He will step up and show some great performances if the coaching staff allows him the chance, which they should.
I think that I said I think that Martellus might break out so... what are you spouting off about?

Quote:
As for the WRs that D-Unit mentioned, I'm not really sure where Roy stands, but without any statistical information, I feel like he won't be a big factor. Won't flop, but won't have the impact that many Cowboy fans hope. Just a gut feeling.
OK, I think he is a bust because he is not worth the top 10 pick spent on him, he is not worth the huge amount of picks the Cowboys sent to get him. Simply put, Roy Williams is lazy, injury prone and he doesn't play hard, all you have to do is watch all of last year to figure that out, he was awful.

Quote:
Sam Hurd has been supposed to break out for 2 years now. Miles Austin too for a while I heard. I have one of those gut feelings that the team is getting a little too high on their backup WRs in recent years.
What does this have to do with anything I posted

Quote:
As for Romo having a career year, I can't see it. He will put up solid numbers statistically, if only because of the playcalling, but despite the Cowboys fans statement that losign TO won't hurt them. I got news for them... it will, maybe not so much because you have good receiving options elsewhere, particularly in Witten, but it will impact the team greatly. It has happened everywhere else when he is left, so don't expect much different here.
So Witten is now going to produce good enough numbers to compensate for the loss of TO and keep up his production? Sorry, even if Witten has a career year it still does not compensate for TO. Jason Witten was targeted 120 times and TO was targeted 132 times. My point stands, TO was Romo's favorite target.

Quote:
I personally love the Cowboys three headed attack. Barber is one of my favorite backs in the league, and Felix Jones has incredible talent, no doubt about it. Tashard Choice is also a great RB. On many teams, he would at least be a #2 RB, if not seeing significant action in a 2 back system. I think the Cowboys offense would benefit greatly if they dedicate more offensive playcalling to running the ball. It not only takes advantage of the skill players at RB, but it plays into the advatages of the O-line and with two TEs who are good blockers, it is an added bonus. Will Garrett make the switch to a more run-heavy attack? I don't think so, which leads me to my next point.
So are you even addressing my post anymore?

Quote:
The O-line has some major concerns, particularly when it comes to health and when it comes to pass protection. They are a great group of run blockers, but pass pro is not what they are best at, and overall, it is a major weakness in that line. I think Garret can minimize the effect of this weakness with more run plays, but once again, I don't think that is a big issue.
So... you attack my post calling it laughable and now you have failed to give any back-up and are going on your own little tangent?

Quote:
Dallas front 7 is a minor issue. DeMarcus Ware is a beast and always will be, and as a result, gets a lot of attention and can help mask some weaknesses in the front 7. As it was last year, that front 7 had issues against the run, and as much as I love Jay Ratliff, he is a small part of that. Ratliff himself is good against the run, he has quicknees to compensate for his size, but for some reason, the coaching staff doesn't seem confident in his run stopping abilities because other defenders are brought inside when many instances it isn't needed, and that results in holes in the running game elsewhere. There are some unproven/new guys there as well, it is something to watch.
The defensive line needs a lot of work. They lost their best DE in Canty and replaced him with Igor Olshansky. Not to mention they lost their Nickel LB in Burnett, they lost their starting LOLB in Ellis and replace them with Carpenter, Brooking and Spencer, two of whom are unknowns and Brooking is on the decline.

The numbers WITH Canty were this:
When the ball was ran outside of the LT, the Cowboys ranked 3rd in the NFL allowing less than 3 yards per carry.
When the ball was ran behind the LT the Cowboys ranked 14th allowing 4.04 yards per carry.
When the ball was ran up the middle (LG, C, RG) the Cowboys ranked 18th allowing 4.21 yards per carry
When the ball was ran behind the RT the Cowboys ranked 28th allowing 4.6 YPC
When the ball was ran outside the RT the Cowboys ranked 28th allowing more than 4.9 yards per carry.

And the RE (left side of the offense) in Chris Canty who was the best defensive lineman is now gone and who do they replace him with? Igor Olshansky who held down the right side of the Chargers to defense to the tune of a 28th ranking when the opposing team ran behind the LT for upwards of 4.8 yards. Yeah, the front 7 is an issue.

My post is laughable? Please...