Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
machoking6

I think it's safe to say that the Eagles need to address the LB situation in this year's draft. But what LB position? What round do we feel we need to address it? It seems like a fair assessment that Trotter will man the MLB position, Gaither the WLB, and Gocong the SLB. Gaither will be Trotter's backup at MLB, McCoy will be Gaither's backup at WLB, and Dhani Jones (if he isn't cut) will back up Gocong.

I personally feel that Gaither is our future at MLB. They drafted him with this intent, and he's done nothing to make the Eagles change their mind about it. A lot of people like him at WLB, but the Eagles invested a 2nd round pick on McCoy. As bad as he was last season, the Eagles aren't ready to give up on him just yet. Gocong was selected to be the SLB, and none of us can say for sure if he's going to be the guy. I truly do not believe that Dhani Jones is fit for this starting position anymore. As far as drafting goes, I'm thinking we gotta go OLB. I'm liking Antwan Barnes from Florida International. He had a great combine and he could push McCoy or Gocong.

Last edited by machoking6 : 03-09-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Because
Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you really think that Gaither is our future at MIKE, than OLB should be addressed earlier in the draft. I am one of the people that sees Gaither staying at WILL, so I think if Willis would be available at our first pick, we should grab him. If not go Safety with Griffin hopefully and get a guy like Anthony Waters in the third to fifth round. Waters has the ability to be any LB on this team, so he could be a great pick as well for your situation. The thing that have people worried about Waters is his ACL tear, but he just ram a 40 time in the 4.6 range, so I think he is pretty much healed. If he isn't 100% healed, and ran that time anyway, I would want him even more.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
machoking6

Again, Gaither has done nothing to make the Eagles change their minds about him not being our future at MLB. Not once did I read anywhere that the Eagles were debating on keeping him at WLB. Did you? Or are you just going off of your own personal expert opinion? Maybe I missed an article or a story on the news about Gaither staying at WLB. I did read stuff about Trotter being cut from the team to save money, and having Gaither start at MLB. It may have been just rumors, but I did in fact read something about that.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Trotter would be cut, it woule put a huge dent into the cap. The Eagles will either wait till his contract expires or let him retire, most likely the first.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone of you know if the Eagles signed Ryan Fowler to an offer sheet? And if so, how much money we talkin'?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Dillen hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
If Trotter would be cut, it woule put a huge dent into the cap. The Eagles will either wait till his contract expires or let him retire, most likely the first.
He has less than $2M of his signing bonus left. That's not even 5% of the entire cap, it isn't a huge dent at all.

There is no way in hell Trotter finishes his contract. You think he still have 3 years left and is going to be worth $3.3M at something like 35 years old?

Bigmac, they didn't sign him to an offer sheet I dont think. What do you know about him?

Thanks to jkpigskin
Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I'm just saying its not like the Eagles to cut a player that has been important to their franchise for the past few years. He will etither retire or finish his contract.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

You mean like Hugh Douglas? Or Corey Simon? Or Jon Ritchie? Or Todd Pinkston? If the player is done he's done. Period.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 03-10-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Hugh Douglas and Corey Simon were not cut, the Eagles let their contracts expire, so they hit FA. Lets be honest, do you really think Todd Pinkston was important to our organization? Plus, he had a severe injury as well. Jon Ritchie was a FB, and the Eagles don't value them all that highly, plus we had what we thought was a very competent guy to fill in for him, even though it was Josh Parry.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Hugh was brought back after Jacksonville cut him, just like Trotter after Washington. Hugh was cut the year after because he wasn't going anywhere. He was on the Eagles for a long time and established himself here. And they ended his career.

Corey Simon was cut. They had the franchise tag on him and then took it off. It's the same thing, I dont care about literal meaning.

Pinkston was a decent player. He was a ***** but Reid and the front office were in love with him. They loved Pinkston. When he was done, they cut him.

Ritchie was the best FB the Eagles had since Keith Byars. He was a huge signing. Again, the team and coaching staff loved him. When he was done, they cut him.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 03-11-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Just found out the Eagles placed an offer sheet for Ryan Fowler. I don't want him, we could get a lot more people that are better than him in the draft.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
mikesmdone

Fowler is solid he just didn't have that much of a shot in Dallas. I think it's a good signing and he will at least compete for a starting job and if he doesn't get it he does help the Eagles on special teams.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fowler won't make the team here..
Old 03-11-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmdone View Post
Fowler is solid he just didn't have that much of a shot in Dallas. I think it's a good signing and he will at least compete for a starting job and if he doesn't get it he does help the Eagles on special teams.
He wasn't signed, he was given an offer.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:10 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Just found out he sgned the offer sheet, Dallas has until Sunday to equal the offer, or he is an Eagle. My newspaper says the deal is for 4 year, and offers about 4 mil the first year. I hope not, that kills our chances at getting Curtis or Dillon or a run-stuffing DT.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the deal is structured properly, the Eagles will still have the cap room necessary to make this deal. I think Fowler's run-stuffing ability could fit well in our rotation. It could also mean the end of Dhani Jones. Fowler is an underappreciated player, and he'll definitely help on ST's.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
dobe12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillen View Post
Hugh was brought back after Jacksonville cut him, just like Trotter after Washington. Hugh was cut the year after because he wasn't going anywhere. He was on the Eagles for a long time and established himself here. And they ended his career.

Corey Simon was cut. They had the franchise tag on him and then took it off. It's the same thing, I dont care about literal meaning.

Pinkston was a decent player. He was a ***** but Reid and the front office were in love with him. They loved Pinkston. When he was done, they cut him.

Ritchie was the best FB the Eagles had since Keith Byars. He was a huge signing. Again, the team and coaching staff loved him. When he was done, they cut him.

You couldn't be more correct. The eagles have no problem cutting anyone when they think their value is worn out.... well except maybe the golden boy, McNabb. I'm not a hater, but am I the only one who is starting to hate his constantly calm attitude. COME ON!!! SHOW SOME FIRE!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McNabb still has plenty of value when healthy. You can't ignore the ridiculous numbers he was putting up. I guarantee the Eagles are looking at the number of quality years he has left, and they will behave accordingly. Heckert's new power in the personnel decisions means that McNabb's ultimate demotion is a real possibility at an opportune time. Still, if he can come back healthy next season, the team is primed to do quite well.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
If the deal is structured properly, the Eagles will still have the cap room necessary to make this deal. I think Fowler's run-stuffing ability could fit well in our rotation. It could also mean the end of Dhani Jones. Fowler is an underappreciated player, and he'll definitely help on ST's.
The deal is structured so Fowler gets 4 mil this coming year. The only way I see us getting Curtis now is if we get Donovan or Kearse or someone to restructure their contract.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
McNabb still has plenty of value when healthy. You can't ignore the ridiculous numbers he was putting up. I guarantee the Eagles are looking at the number of quality years he has left, and they will behave accordingly. Heckert's new power in the personnel decisions means that McNabb's ultimate demotion is a real possibility at an opportune time. Still, if he can come back healthy next season, the team is primed to do quite well.
I agree with you there, all of the teams in the NFC East will go the way of their QB this year.