Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought releasing Ed Johnson was a bad idea and this game didn't do anything to change my mind. Dan Muir played well so I can understand wanting him to start. But the depth behind him and Mookie is thin. Eric Foster is smart and does well on passing downs, and Moala will probably eventually be a good player, but right now if one of the starting DTs gets injured we are in trouble.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 AM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default I agree to an extent

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I thought releasing Ed Johnson was a bad idea and this game didn't do anything to change my mind. Dan Muir played well so I can understand wanting him to start. But the depth behind him and Mookie is thin. Eric Foster is smart and does well on passing downs, and Moala will probably eventually be a good player, but right now if one of the starting DTs gets injured we are in trouble.
I agree with the lack of quality depth. But then, you have to understand the Colts were playing prevent D in the second half since they were up considerably. That is when Jackson's runs happened. If you saw the first half, you can tell how well we played Jackson. We play another run happy team in the 49ers. We will find out more next Sunday.

Plus, hoarding too many DTs is not going to help much for the special teams' speed since you can only use so many DTs on special teams. Eric Foster has other uses and Moala, with reps, is only going to get better. Moala will never get the reps for him to pan out if Ed was still on the roster. With Muir, I do think we are able to rush the passer better than Ed from the DT position. With Ed, he was a better run stuffer, from what I have seen so far. Muir will pay dividends more against teams like the Texans and Patriots.

Also, with Moala not there yet and Terrance Taylor busting, I am not excluding the possibility of Polian drafting a DT after trading down to the top of the second next year, just a hunch.
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After reviewing some of those plays I agree, Ed wouldn't have made a ton of difference versus Jackson in the 2nd half. The Colts stopped playing the run like they were in the 1st half. The DEs were strictly going for the QB, the LBs were playing back in coverage more, etc. Hagler was more the problem IMO as he didn't adjust and wasn't in his gap. Though there is a chance they were playing nickel in which case I don't think Hagler would be in anyway. I didn't notice, honestly.

I think between Silva and Francisco one of them could've been cut before Ed. They're both solid on STs but not irreplaceable. And if Antonio Johnson goes down Muir has to be our only NT. Given how good he was playing next to Johnson I don't want to lose that. I still think either they made a bad decision or there was more to it than they're letting out. You demote an underperforming starter. Bench him, inactivate him for a game, etc. You don't just cut him. They didn't even cut Gilbert Gardner in '06.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Chad made a good point regarding having too many DTs on the roster.

Who'll play on ST coverage unit?
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Who plays on STs now? I personally have no idea.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who plays on STs now? I personally have no idea.
I can't be arsed finding the game footage but I have the tackle numbers.

CB - Jacob Lacey - 4
FS - Aaron Francisco - 4
TE - Jacob Tamme - 4
CB - Tim Jennings - 3
LB - Ramon Humber - 3
SS - Jamie Silva - 3
LB - Philip Wheeler - 2
LB - Clint Session - 2
CB - T.J. Rushing - 2
RB - Chad Simpson - 1
DE - Keyunta Dawson - 1
LB - Jordan Senn - 1
RB - Mike Hart - 1
LB - Freddy Keiaho - 1
SS - Melvin Bullitt - 1

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
I can't be arsed finding the game footage but I have the tackle numbers.

CB - Jacob Lacey - 4
FS - Aaron Francisco - 4
TE - Jacob Tamme - 4
CB - Tim Jennings - 3
LB - Ramon Humber - 3
SS - Jamie Silva - 3
LB - Philip Wheeler - 2
LB - Clint Session - 2
CB - T.J. Rushing - 2
RB - Chad Simpson - 1
DE - Keyunta Dawson - 1
LB - Jordan Senn - 1
RB - Mike Hart - 1
LB - Freddy Keiaho - 1
SS - Melvin Bullitt - 1
There is only one D-lineman in it (Dawson) and I'd rather have the solid tackling, hustle and solid coverage over the real big hits a D-lineman like Darrell Reid can provide to a kick returner. Not saying Darrell Reid wasn't good at ST (he was outstanding, on the field and off the field as ST leader). Just saying that we could not afford to have 2 Darrell Reids on STs by any means. Let us not forget Francisco was the ST coverage team leader back in Arizona. I haven't felt this relaxed about our ST kickoff coverage in years.

Now, if we can get our returners going a little more. I did like Chad Simpson showing some aggression during some of his returns on kickoffs. Maybe he can continue that while protecting the ball. Even if it is the 30 yard line and not the 15-20 yard line that Manning starts, I will take it as long as he protects the ball.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I suppose with all the injuries to the secondary cutting Ed Johnson might've been a move they were partially forced to make. In a more ideal situation the smart move would be to demote him, but I guess they just needed the space for Stover. It'll be interesting to see if they re-sign Ed, especially if any of the DTs get injured or even if there is an injury scare. As we found last year it isn't that easy to just plug in a 300 lb. guy off the street.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

It's Thursday, time to update this thread for week 8.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I suppose with all the injuries to the secondary cutting Ed Johnson might've been a move they were partially forced to make. In a more ideal situation the smart move would be to demote him, but I guess they just needed the space for Stover. It'll be interesting to see if they re-sign Ed, especially if any of the DTs get injured or even if there is an injury scare. As we found last year it isn't that easy to just plug in a 300 lb. guy off the street.
I think in the Offseason and the Draft we need to target a really good, dynamic Kick Returner. It would free up 3 Roster spots. If we get a Receiver who is really talented as a Returner then we can cut Baskett, Simpson and Rushing and that gives us more leeway with the 53 man Roster. Currently, for our 5th Wide Receiver, our Kick Returner and our Punt Returner, we use 3 Roster spots out of 53. If we bring in a new, very talented Returner we will then use 1 Roster spot for those 3 positions.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Two candidates for kick returning wideouts I like - Jacoby Ford of Clemson and Jordan Shipley of Texas. Jordan Shipley will fit our system better, I would think.

Jacoby Ford may go earlier by the time the combine comes around he may wow them with a 4.3 40. Jordan Shipley, with his production in college, will be preferred by BP, I think, and could be available at the end of the first.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:17 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's up Colts fans. I'm excited to watch this game. Realistically i don't think we'll win this game but as they say, any given sunday. I'm hoping Alex Smith can give this offense some life after an impressive game against Houston, but we'll see.

What do you guys think about this game? Haven't seen any discussion about it so far.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

49ersfan, the Tampa 2 is relatively weak against 3 things:

1) The Run - Tampa 2 is smaller (even though we are getting bigger in Indy) and this allows teams, especially real power run teams, to run the ball really well.
2) Play Action - The SS and the MIKE drop deep in coverage on pass plays and come into the box on run plays so Play Action can badly get Tampa 2 teams out of position. The Colts cover this by just blitzing Freeney every play. It makes us more susceptable to runs to the Left Tackle but it stops must Play Action problems.
3) The Tight End - There is a small seam where Tampa 2 coverage isn't good. Traditionally, a really good Tight End will be covered by the SS but in the Cover 2 the SS is deep so it puts the Tight End normally in a one on one matchup with either a CB or the SAM.

So you could see big games out of Frank Gore and Vernon Davis. I could see Alex Smith having problems. You O-Line has been iffy at best and piss poor at worst. The Colts get a lot of pressure. The Colts also have Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, probably the two best strip sack artists in the NFL and the 49ers have Alex Smith, a player with real ball security issues.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something needs to be done about this run-blocking.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

My thoughts on the game.

1. SF played nickel and dime all the time challenging us to run knowing that Donald Brown was not going to be there to keep Addai's legs fresh.

2. Manning did not take enough checkdowns, went for the deep ball way too often

3. Mike Pollak, our RG, had one lousy game and was dominated by the 49ers D-line, and was replaced by DeVan in the second half mostly and our protection improved definitely

4. Because our O-line was dominated, Dallas Clark had to be kept back to pass protect instead of running his routes. In the second half, once DeVan was there, DC was roaming, and had more catches

5. We missed Anthony Gonzalez

P.S: Game ball should go to Pat McAfee, he put our ST and D in good spots so that they could get the job done. Our D was exceptional as well, did you know we are #1 in scoring D (ppg allowed)? Let us hope our D stays this way against the Texans and Pats.

Our O-line did better once Kyle DeVan was in the game, and thus DC roaming free allowed Manning to take underneath routes more, that is why we did better in the second half offensively. SF is #6 against the run for a reason, that is why we should give Addai some credit for managing to somewhat carry the entire load despite the O-line getting dominated for at least a half and not getting enough push. Since we were playing from behind, we still had to pass more thus forcing Addai to play more for the pass protection. Addai should get a lot of credit for this game, IMO.

It did not help that Manning did not take enough checkdowns, it was an off day but we needed this close game to increase our focus on sharpness in practice before the next divisional match up.

Last edited by chad72 : 11-02-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Our team can so dominant right now, it's not even funny.

O-Line is really dragging us down.

I really hope they improve, we are about to enter a big stretch in our schedule.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

The OL is pathetic. I hope Pollack gets benched. I didn't think Devann was any better but after yesterday I guess he is. Saturday needs to kick it back up a notch, he is looking like a fat old guy. That may be what he is but he needs to stop playing like it. Those were the worst two yesterday that I saw.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Like I've said in another thread, there may come a time when Pollack is a good starter for us, but at this point he's mediocre.

Saturday isn't what he once was.

And as far as Lilja, well, I think he was always much better as a pass-blocker then as a run-blocker. He's just a technically-sound blocker but isn't an overpowering blocker.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Interesting read of interview with Bill Polian:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-India...rong-as-before
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This week's game could go a long way toward determining the division. The Colts are up against the Houston Texans, who for the first time in their franchise's history have a winning record after 8 games. Thus far they've been getting it done through the air, with Matt Schaub leading the NFL in both passing yardage and TDs (who ever thought they'd see that phrase?), but last week they lost a key component to their attack when TE Owen Daniels went down for the season with a knee injury. Defensively, they haven't gotten much done, they're middle of the pack in scoring defense, they've allowed almost as many touchdowns by air (9) as by ground (11), they allow opponents over 200 yards passing and over 100 yards rushing per game, they don't get much in the way of sacks, but they do manage to force some turnovers, with 6 interceptions and 9 recovered fumbles to their name. I think if the Colts do the following, they'll get to 8-0 with a great chance to not only clinch the division by Week 12, but also start making some breathing room for themselves in the seeding of the playoffs:

When the Colts have the ball
  • Keep the ball in Manning's hands
When you have an all-time great at QB and are facing a defense that has struggled generating pressure all season, you want to put the ball in his hands. Of course the Texans do have some talent in their front 7, and some LBs that could force some pressure, but Manning has the 2nd best QB rating against the blitz in the NFL. Add to that that the Texans secondary, which is not all that strong, will be defending a receiving corps that seemingly is completely in sync with Manning right now, and it's a no brainer to put the ball in his hands as much as possible.
  • Double Mario Williams constantly
As I said, the Texans have some talent in their front 7, the most notable of it would be the 2008 Pro Bowler Mario Williams. Charlie Johnson has struggled with Williams in the past, and I can't imagine this matchup will be much easier for him. If I were Tom Moore, I'd have my backs and TEs chipping him as well as shifting protection toward him. I'd also have a few more short drops in the playbook than usual. Keeping him as far away from Manning as possible is priority number one on any dropback.
  • Use playaction to its fullest advantage
The Texans also have a talented young group of LBs, with the key word in that (in this case) being young. Using playaction will probably get them to bite on the run, giving the receivers the seams they need to get open. They've been doing it well thus far this season, even using it at times to set up quick passes like screens, and it should work better against a young defense with aggressive LBs.

When the Texans have the ball
  • Get after Schaub
The key to the Texans success on offense this season has been Matt Schaub's success, so getting to him will be key. A good game from Freeney or Mathis would likely mean a great game for the defense. A strip sack or two wouldn't hurt either. :D
  • Contain Andre Johnson
This is probably the biggest key to success on the defensive side. If I'm Larry Coyer, I put Jerraud Powers on him every play and probably give him over the top help. With no Owen Daniels, taking Johnson away from Schaub might derail their offense.
  • Shut down the run
They've been relatively good at it this season, especially as of late (minus one long run by Frank Gore), but the defense will sometimes let a bad rushing team get a really good game, and Steve Slaton has given the Colts some problems in the past. As long as Muir and Johnson keep playing the way they have been, it's not too much of a concern, but one that should still be brought up.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

When Slaton is carrying, our guys need to put hands and helmets on the ball. He has terrible ball security.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Marlin Jackson is out for the Season as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Well, I hope Powers and Lacy continue playing well.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Marlin Jackson is out for the Season as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Well, I hope Powers and Lacy continue playing well.
Especially considering the news that Hayden might miss this weeks game with a concussion. It means that against a pretty explosive passing game we have 2 Rookies and Tim "Fifteen Yard Penalty" Jennings.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default This is what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Especially considering the news that Hayden might miss this weeks game with a concussion. It means that against a pretty explosive passing game we have 2 Rookies and Tim "Fifteen Yard Cushion" Jennings.
Fixed it for ya.

BTW, Bob Sanders is out for the season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4628597
Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just swinging by to say... here's to an injury free game.

I liked the write-up, dam. Our defense has stepped up as of late. Not saying we'll dominate you guys or anything as you guys are most likely the best offense we'll face this yr. However our first 3 games skewed our stats in a negative way. Our sack # is low, but we've been putting pressure on QB's. Our run defense has stepped up in a huge way. Not that that's a huge drawback on you guys.

Our secondary is also much improved. Obviously Manning will get his, but we shouldn't be shredded to pieces. Our guys @linebacking are young, but they have shown good responsibility on the field. Brian Cushing has been playing more like a veteran than anything.

Anyhoo, whoever wins this game will have to work for it and it should be really entertaining. Again heres to an injury free game.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote