Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Early Needs going into 2010 Draft

Hey guys

I want to contribute more to the Steelers team board so I decided to make a thread detailing the different needs you and I see that need to be addressed in the 2010 draft.

I feel offensive line is the most glaring need especially at the book ends.

Please contribute accordingly, also bring up some specific prospects you would thnk fit the Steelers.

thanks

This post is not meant to be a Dear John letter or a Hallmark card.
no bare feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After tis weeks performance I think this is a perfect thread to start thinking about future needs. I, for one, think offensive line needs A LOT of help.

Some prospects I like and realistically could get: Ciron Black, Jason Fox, MIke Petrus, Vladimer Ducasse, and Sam Young who I think could be a stud RT. I want to see some more of Urbik though.

Mid To late round secondary help would be nice. Brandon Ghee is very solid, Myron Lewis could be a S or CB, I am starting to become a huge fan of Walter Thurmond III.

Any sort of line and secondary help. Depth along the D line and LBs can never hurt. A future repalcement for Hampton may be a need. Hoke is a solid replacement but not the future. The 3-4 NT class this year does not look overally promising. I think the 3-4 DE class is very good.

Last edited by no bare feet : 09-28-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we need to go sexy in the first round and nab a big-time player.

This year's guy was Percy Harvin, being a WR, HB, very fast, Wes Welker-ish. Some doubted him, and look at what he's done. One TD in every single game, including a 101 kickoff return for a TD.

Here's my list of guy's I'd like to get:

Non-Realistically:
1. Taylor Mays - S - USC --- A guy with such physical abilities and raw power is bound to be a great player. Plus, he's got great instincts and is the closest a prospect has been to Polamalu in a while.
2. Eric Berry - S - Tennessee --- A clone of another AFC North safety, Ed Reed. There's only one category where I believe he is superior to Mays, and that is when switching from defense to offense. Once he gets a pick, watch out, cause he's the best in the nation at returning them to the house. He's set the record, and it wasn't an easy task.
3. Trent Williams - OT - Oklahoma --- Dominating in pass-protection and run blocking, athletic, and has incredible upside. Very coachable. Franchise LT for the next decade.
4. Gerald McCoy - DT/DE - Arguably the best player that could enter the draft, he a beast. Extremely disruptive in the backfield, great pass-rusher/pocket pusher, monster run-stuffer, has size for the 3-4. Him opposite Ziggy = best 3-4 D-Line in league for years to come.
5. Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma State --- Great OT, fantastic pass-protector, can improve in run-blocking but still great at it. Athletic, definitely a franchise LT.
6. Sergio Kindle - DE/OLB - Texas --- Orakpo's replacement, he's basically the same thing, though might not be as beastly strong as Orakpo, but still a beast. Monster pass-rusher, can bull-rush as good as anybody and has the finesse speed moves. There's a clip of him throwing an OT down with one arm. Him and Woodley could wind up being just as good as Harrison and Woodley.
7. Joe Haden - CB - Florida --- Excellent playmaker, has top-notch speed, nice size and isn't afraid of taking on bigger players. Makes tackles, hits, does it all. Stud CB for many years.
8. Terrence Cody - NT - Alabama --- A mountain of a man, he's immobile and unblockable with only one guy. He's actually nimbler than given credit for, and if he loses a bit of weight, he could be even faster. First true 3-4 NT available in draft, specializes in run-stuffing. Also has experience as a lead blocker (yes, as goal-line fullback).
9. Ndamukong Suh - DT/DE - Nebraska --- Another great DT. Not as overly dominating as McCoy can be, but is still a force to be reckoned with. Again, an athletic 6'4, 300 lbs. guy who constantly gets pushes against O-Lines. Not as talented a pass-rusher as McCoy seems to be, but still good and a solid run-stuffer.
10. Arrelious Benn - WR - Illinois --- Mendenhall's former teammate. He's got great height (6'2), heavier than most receivers (220 lbs.), and still possesses dangerous speed (4.40 ish). The guy can make plays, Can take big hits.

Not Realistically:
1. C.J. Spiller - RB - Clemson --- Lightning quick RB who I see as a mixture between MJD and Chris Johnson. He's got nimble, light, feet, great hands, and is a polished return man. A big-play guy, can change games, would be perfect compliment to Mendenhall.
2. Brandon LaFell - WR - LSU --- Dwayne Bowe clone, has nice hands, good speed, and is extremely physical. He doesn't shy away from contact and can make plays. Having a WR core of Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Sweed, and LaFell could be downright dangerous. If Ward retires anytime soon, this would be the guy to replace him, a 6'2 215 lbs. guy with good hands and ability to take hits. Best senior WR in country.
3. Brandon Spikes - LB - Florida --- A tough, gritty LB who can play both ILB and OLB. Provides position versatility and good depth. Him beside Timmons could be deadly. Yeah, we've got Farrior and Fox as well, but I think that Farrior said he was only going to play three more years, and he said that before the start of last year's season. Fox is good, but Spikes could be much, much better.
4. Patrick Robinson - CB - Florida State --- Another CB with good size and speed, he's fundamentally sound and has great technique. While we did draft two corners last year, this guy is still a better prospect and it's highly likely he ends up being a better pro.
5. Anthony Davis - OT/OG - Rutgers --- The guy has great size (6'6, 325 lbs.) and reminds me of Ryan Clady minus the superb pass protection. He's a solid guy, great athlete, and has great upside. Rutgers line has been struggling though, but he's still a guy who could pan out as a franchise LT, or a franchise guard (if there is such a thing...).
6. Jahvid Best - RB - Cal --- Speedster that's a threat every time he gets the ball. If Willie leaves, this guy is basically his clone. He does everything Parker does, and he too would be a great compliment to Mendy too.
7. Kristofer O'Dowd - C - USC --- As good a center, or better, than Mack was, he's played every single game he's had at USC. Started as a freshman and hasn't missed a game since. Excellent in run-blocking and pass-protection, would be an immediate improvement for our O-Line and would command it for many years to come.
8. Jared Odrick - DT/DE - Penn State --- Another guy who could play well in a 3-4 d-line, would be a great playmaker opposite hood.
9. Eric Decker - WR - Minnesota --- Not all that fast, but rarely drops passes. Perfect replacement for Ward, as he's basically the same type of receiver, not elite speed, but sure hands and reliability.
10. Nate Allen - S - South Florida --- Great reactions to plays, fast, reads plays correctly and rarely makes mistakes. Not overly powerful, but doesn't hurt him at all.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems to me that we need depth as opposed to starters. The only major holes I can think of will be at DT and FS if Clark isn't resigned. Other than that, the quality of our Oline can be improved. We need a backup safety to replace Carter and more LB's, especially inside backers. Assuming Clark is resigned, I would put our needs at:

1. NT
2. Oline
3. Safety
4. LB
5. HB
and then everything else.

I'd think we'd go O, Dline, or safety in the first 3 rounds, then LB, HB, and depth the rest of the way. I can't see us going QB or WR early, unless they deem Sweed to be a waste. I think he gets one more year before that happens though. It will probably be BPA as usual though.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Defiantly need depth at the safety position, rb, Lb.

Starters on the o-line.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends on who we resign at the end of the year. Hampton, Clark, Parker, Colon, Reed, and others will be free agents.

Whoever we don't sign, creates a need. Even if we were to get all of them, we need depth at safety, depth at linebacker, and help on the OL.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. LG
2. Safety
3. ILB/OLB -- someone who could project at both positions potentially.
4. DL depth and talent
5. TE -- someone who would allow the offense to remain in their base set (2 TE's) and be a viable threat as a receiver and blocker. Spaeth is not and is one of the reasons the team gave a serious look at Pettigrew.
6. QB - developmental QB because Dixon has not progressed as much as I would have liked and Batch has to be on his last legs.
7. RB depth. Someone who can run and catch.
Cobra39 ™

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Curious as to why you put LG as a need? I agree that our guards can be improved upon, but Kemoeatu has been playing pretty solid so far this season. RG could use some more stability, and depth is certainly a concern, but other than the occasional hold he seems to be doing pretty well. He was destroying guys on Sunday night. Just curious of your reasoning, otherwise I completely agree with the list.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These guys are our free agents next year (and what I think happens to them):

QB Charlie Batch - retires
RB Willie Parker - leaves as free agent
FB Carey Davis - leaves as free agent
TE Matt Spaeth - leaves as free agent
RT Willie Colon - resigned (priority)
RG Darnell Stapleton (restricted) - tendered
DE Travis Kirschke - retires
NT Casey Hampton - leaves as free agent
CB William *** (restricted) - tendered
CB Deshea Townsend - leaves as free agent
FS Ryan Clark - resigned
S Tyrone Carter - resigned
K Jeff Reed - franchised
P Daniel Sepulveda (restricted) - tendered

Overall, we lose players at these positions:

QB
RB
FB
TE
DE
NT
CB

Regarding those positions, I don't think we need to address them all as 'high' priorities. While we will need to get players in those positions, we will have a huge chunk of cap room available (if CBA is re-structured), meaning we have the luxury of signing a "high" profile FA, though it's unlikely.

That being said, the only positions we'd need to really focus on are NT, RB, and DE.

For NT, we only have Chris Hoke if Hampton leaves. We'd need a rookie ASAP and maybe a veteran as well.

For RB we do have Rashard and Moore, but no other proven back. There's a reason Redman is still on the PS, as is Vincent. Summers is now our FB. We need someone to help them, because we recently seem to have RB injuries all over the place. There are a couple good, affordable free agent RB's this upcoming season that we could take a look at. Chester Taylor comes to mind, or Jerome Harrison.

For DE we'd have Smith, Keisel, Hood, and Eason. That's a good pair of starters, but they're old and who knows if they hold the entire season. Hood looks like a keeper, but Eason is solid at best.

The other positions are relatively set:

For QB, we have Dixon who, after two years learning the system, should be a capable backup.

For FB we'd have Summers back, and if his injury is worse, then simply resign Davis.

For TE, Spaeth never really seemed to fit the system, as his blocking is questionable. McHugh and Johnson are much better fits, and having them two alongside Miller seems a better fit, even if we're passing more now.

For CB, we just drafted two guys. Ike and *** are set as starters, Ratliff is #4 right now, and Lewis and Burnett can develop gradually. Not exactly the most pressing of needs.

I also think that LB, FS, and O-Line are needs, but again, not necessarily 'high' ones.

Thus, I propose the following mock:

1. C.J. Spiller - RB - Clemson
2. Vince Oghobaase - DT/DE - Duke
3. Toby Gerhart - RB - Stanford
4a. Kam Chancellor - S - Virginia Tech
4b. John Jerry - OT/OG - Ole Miss
4c. Phil Taylor - NT - Baylor
5. Rusty Smith - QB - Florida Atlantic
6. Austen Lane - DE/OLB - Murray State
7a. Pat Simonds - WR - Colgate
7b. Brandon Banks - WR - Kansas State

I've been saying it recently, and I'll continue saying it. Spiller is an ideal pick for us. The offense proved Sunday what it can do, and imagine how much more damage we could do with a blazing fast, versatile threat like Spiller. Run, catch, return, you name it; he's the perfect guy to spell Mendenhall.

Oghobaase gives us more depth for our D-Line, which is something that we really need. He's a big guy, tough, physical, and can make plays.

What?! Two running-backs in four rounds?!?! Yes, I believe this would provide a huge boost for our run game. Gerhart is the definition of a power-runner. He's the Stanford offense right now, and while he shouldn't be available at this pick, there are many talented guys that could go before him. Jonathan Dwyer, Jahvid Best, CJ Spiller, Charles Scott, Evan Royster, Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson are guys that could go before him. He'd give us a great rotation of Mendy, Spiller, Moore and him, and he'd solve many tough, short-yardage situations.

Chancellor is basically a slower version of Taylor Mays. He likes laying the wood, and would complement Polamalu rather nicely. He's built like a LB, and could even transition if necesarry.

Jerry is a road-grater that plays both guard and tackle. Tomlin likes position versatility, Jerry has position versatility, enough said.

Phil Taylor is a big, powerful guy. He has the size to replace Hampton, and with some technical polishing, he could be a nice replacement for years.

Smith is a good QB with a solid arm that has showed the ability to manage an offense. His numbers went down last season, but he's doing pretty well right now.

Lane is a sack machine, but he doesn't face top-notch competition. 6'6, 250 lbs., and 4.6 40 yard dash. Pretty good physical abilities, and definitely what you look for in regards to size and speed for the prototypical 3-4 OLB. He's racked up 145 tackles (34 for a loss) and 18 sacks in 32 games. His 2008 campaign was his best yet, recording 63 tak (22 for a loss) and 12 sacks.

Simonds and Banks are both relatively unknown prospects, but they are big playmakers in their colleges. Simonds is huge at 6'6 and 223. Last year he put up 64 catches for 1136 yards, 17.5 ypc and 9 touchdowns. He doesn't have great speed though. Banks is very small, but is a burner. 4.25 40 (unofficial), and also put up similar numbers to Simonds. 67 catches, 1049 yards, 15.7 ypc, and 9 TD's. This was with Freeman as QB.

And there you have it guys, my latest take on our draft/free agency/needs.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.

while it is obviously early, I have a hard time envisioning our draft not being laden with young defenders.

on offense, our only really old guy is Ward, and we've seemingly already found a successor in wallace. hartwig is 30ish, but we just extended him. the rest of the OL is fairly youthful, the depth especially so. ben will be 28 with dixon in reserve. mendy is young, david johnson young, heath in his prime.

on defense - different story. farrior, aaron smith, kirschke, hoke, townsend all reaching their mid-30s now. hampton likely gone. we've little pass rush depth after harrison/woodley. and starters like clark (if he's resigned), harrison and keisel are getting up there in years as well.

we could justifably pick almost any defensive position on the draft's first day except strong safety.

when you couple the above factors with the clear strides the ravens have made on offense, I think it will be wise to allocate several picks to that side of the ball.

some prospects I'm planning to check out, by position:

NT: terrency cody - one of the few giant NTs to be had in an otherwise ridiculous draft; dan williams out of tennessee, who's likely more of a 2nd-4th rounder; phil taylor from baylor, kade weston from UGA

DE: almost too many to mention. I worry about DE, even with ziggy on board. looking at allen bailey, arthur jones (both probably out of our reach), along with V.O., jared odrick, and brandon deaderick.

ILB: rolondo mcclain. farrior, his great game against minnesota not withstanding, will eventually decline. I like keyaron fox, a lot, but wouldn't mind finding another wrecking ball for the middle of this defense. brandon spikes would merit serious consideration as well.

OLB: eric norwood - always making plays behind the LOS. we're kind of screwed if woodley or harrison gets hurt. jerry hughes will be another prospect worth reviewing.

FS: darrell stuckey from kansas; not that I'll ever be watching kansas play, but I'll youtube him when the time comes. seems like a complete player in the event we have to replace clark.

CB: I'd like to see more from keenan lewis and joe burnett before we go drafting corners high. think we've got bigger draft needs elsewhere on D, but I'll take a look at javier arenas and joe haden, maybe trevard lindley.
lance uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why wouldn't you want to draft a SS, I know Troy is great but when he gets injured we have Tyrone **** pants Carter.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Yeah, we do need some defensive players, and I'd actually like to use the majority of picks in defensive guys.

I'd rank them:

1. CB: as good as Willie *** is, he's still the weak link on this defense. I'd take a long, hard look at Florida's Joe Haden or Florida State's Patrick Robinson. Having Ike and and an elite corner opposite him would be downright nasty.

2. FS: Clark loves to destroy players, and this, unfortunately takes a toll on him. Chad Jones is a guy I'd like.

3. D-Line: any position would be great. The guys we have right now can hold the fort for a litle more time, but we def need help soon.

4. Olb: Need good depth, and Future starter.

5. MLB: Fox showed he can start and play well, Tummins still young, an Farrior MIGHT have started to decline. Would simply need depth.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Why wouldn't you want to draft a SS, I know Troy is great but when he gets injured we have Tyrone **** pants Carter.
first off, that's an awesome avatar. thanks.

second off, good point. although, I wouldn't want to go SS first day. round 3-4? sure.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

If this CB class was better i'd hope for a CB. But I think next year's CB class is going to be full of future shut down corners. That could change if some of the juniors decide to declare for the draft this year.

Last edited by no bare feet : 12-15-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 AM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

Joe Haden is the only 1st round CB. The secondary has issues and I feel the offensive line could be addressed as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Saltydawg
Rookie

Saltydawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree wiht Haden from Fla.
But I still hate the thought of drafting lineman early but when they are that good it is worth moving up for and therefore I wouldnt be crushed if they moved up to get some big OL (Okung) to help Big Ben out.

I like the sexy pick Spiller but folks are recognizing him more and more and downt know if he will be there when PItt goes on the clock. It will be close.

Maybe grab the big OL and see if RB from Fresno State is there in the 2nd rd (although he is no Spiller) perhaps its Spiller or no one.

Thoughts??
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydawg View Post
But I still hate the thought of drafting lineman early but when they are that good it is worth moving up for and therefore I wouldnt be crushed if they moved up to get some big OL (Okung) to help Big Ben out.

I like the sexy pick Spiller but folks are recognizing him more and more and downt know if he will be there when PItt goes on the clock. It will be close.

Maybe grab the big OL and see if RB from Fresno State is there in the 2nd rd (although he is no Spiller) perhaps its Spiller or no one.

Thoughts??
welcome aboard.

I think we could use another runner as well, but believe that's a secondary need. I could get onboard with drafting montario hardesty in the 3rd, or ben tate in the 4th. but too much age on defense to go chasing spiller or jahvid best on day one.

as for OL - I could see taking Bulaga or Davis if they were available.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:15 AM    (permalink
AgentM
Rookie

AgentM hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydawg View Post

Thoughts??
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut View Post
welcome aboard.

I think we could use another runner as well, but believe that's a secondary need. I could get onboard with drafting montario hardesty in the 3rd, or ben tate in the 4th. but too much age on defense to go chasing spiller or jahvid best on day one.

as for OL - I could see taking Bulaga or Davis if they were available.
As exciting as it would be to get Spiller or Best I agree that defense is the top priority (secondary, ILB, NT) and O-Line, depending on who is available when we are picking.

To keep it simple I'll stick to the first round for now. Who of these guys are worth the #18 pick in the draft right now?

Cornerback
- Joe Haden - He'll be long gone
- Patrick Robinson - I have no clue if he's worth it

Safety
- Taylor Mays - Tons of talent but does he have a prayer of picking up our defense?
- Earl Thomas - I wouldn't be unhappy with him

ILB
- Rolando McClain - God I wish he'd still be there. He's my favorite player in the draft
- Brandon Spikes - Not sure if I like him as a pro.

NT
- Mount Cody - I like him but I'm scared by how gigantic he could become
- Dan Williams - Don't really know much about him. Is he a 3-4 NT?
AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was thinking through our weaknesses and needs last night and my take is;

-If Big Snack or Clark leaves, they become our instant biggt needs.
Its pretty much a given that Willie Parker is gone, so a 2nd runningback is a need.

-Our corners are pretty much the biggest weakness in terms of starting talent, so that is a need...the jury is still out on Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett, but ive got a feeling one of them might be tried at FS. I like Lewis as a CB, but im not sure id be happy going into next year with William Gai, Lewis and Burnett as our only options, a top flight CB would be nice.

-Our o-line still isnt up to par, but i cant see who would be replaced...when healthy Chris Kemo is a good starter, especially in the run game. Justin Hartwig is solid and cheap, albeit not spectcular. Trai Essex came on strong, but he is still average. The coahces seem enfactuated with Willie Colon, so i cant see him losing out. Max Starks has been up and down, great at times, poor at others. I like our interior depth tbh, Ramon Foster, Craig Urbik, Doug Legursky are all talented backups. Our tackle depth is another matter...Tony Hills and Ramon Foster...thats it. Tackle depth, and a possible starter is a big need imo.

-Our depth at OLB is prett much piss poor...Andre Frazer is the only possible fill in...i wouldnt be happy with Patrick Bailey, Rocky Boiman or any other of our backups filling in if Deebo or Woodley go down. Also they never get a break, if we had another good passrusher we could keep the starters fresher, another plus.

-2nd TE/FB cold be upgraded, Matt Spaeth doest really fit. I like David Johnson allot as a blocker, but he doesnt bring much as a catching threat.

-Other then that, depth on the d-line and o-line are needed.

I think are needs are in this order:

- NT
- S
- RB
- CB
- OT
- OLB
- TE/FB
- D-Line

Can anyone give me some targets at those positions? I aint watched much college bal this year X'D

Cheers bro's!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
As exciting as it would be to get Spiller or Best I agree that defense is the top priority (secondary, ILB, NT) and O-Line, depending on who is available when we are picking.

If Noel Devine declares, I'd absolutely love to get him in the second. Spiller would be a good pick at #18, Best a bit of a reach. And as you mentioned, second RB is not the top priority right now.

To keep it simple I'll stick to the first round for now. Who of these guys are worth the #18 pick in the draft right now?

Cornerback
- Joe Haden - He'll be long gone Yup, won't last.
- Patrick Robinson - I have no clue if he's worth it He's worth it. Incredible athlete, very fast, physical. Is getting compared to Antonio Cromartie a lot, who is also a great athlete.

Safety
- Taylor Mays - Tons of talent but does he have a prayer of picking up our defense? He's a smart guy, just has bad instincts. He'll have to talk a lot with Troy to be mentored and pick up on subtle details from quarterbacks and stuff, things that Troy is a master at.
- Earl Thomas - I wouldn't be unhappy with him He's a good player.

ILB
- Rolando McClain - God I wish he'd still be there. He's my favorite player in the draft Indeed, could be the next Patrick Willis.
- Brandon Spikes - Not sure if I like him as a pro. He's a second round prospect right now.

NT
- Mount Cody - I like him but I'm scared by how gigantic he could become Exactly, that's his biggest knock. Pretty much the same problem we have with Hampton, though, but Hampton is already a great player, and if Cody comes into camp out of shape he'll get the diet training and his development could be delayed/stunted.
- Dan Williams - Don't really know much about him. Is he a 3-4 NT? He could be a great 3-4 NT. He's big and agile for a guy his size. Could very well wind up being the pick, as Cody is beginning to slide as he's very one-dimensional, only stopping the run. Some are saying Cody could become a 2nd rounder.
Quote:
Was thinking through our weaknesses and needs last night and my take is;

-If Big Snack or Clark leaves, they become our instant biggt needs. Yup.
Its pretty much a given that Willie Parker is gone, so a 2nd runningback is a need. Yeah, a speedy one to complement Mendenhall.

-Our corners are pretty much the biggest weakness in terms of starting talent, so that is a need...the jury is still out on Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett, but ive got a feeling one of them might be tried at FS. I like Lewis as a CB, but im not sure id be happy going into next year with William Gai, Lewis and Burnett as our only options, a top flight CB would be nice.

I don't know if the team would be willing to take a 1st round corner with two young guys that have yet to play. We usually don't take corners very high. Taylor was a 4th rounder, Townsend a 4th too, Gai a 5th, Madison undrafted. The last high-pick CB we took was Colclough, and he was a total failure. The team might want to give them more of a chance to play. I'd rather sign a guy, Leigh Bodden is the best example as most others will be restricted free agents.

-Our o-line still isnt up to par, but i cant see who would be replaced...when healthy Chris Kemo is a good starter, especially in the run game. Justin Hartwig is solid and cheap, albeit not spectcular. Trai Essex came on strong, but he is still average. The coahces seem enfactuated with Willie Colon, so i cant see him losing out. Max Starks has been up and down, great at times, poor at others. I like our interior depth tbh, Ramon Foster, Craig Urbik, Doug Legursky are all talented backups. Our tackle depth is another matter...Tony Hills and Ramon Foster...thats it. Tackle depth, and a possible starter is a big need imo.

Yeah, we need a tackle and badly. I'd actually like to get Iupati at #18. The guy is very strong and a monster in the run game. He's got great size for a guard, and Scott and others have been saying that he might be able to switch to guard, kind of like Brandon Albert did back in 2008.

-Our depth at OLB is prett much piss poor...Andre Frazer is the only possible fill in...i wouldnt be happy with Patrick Bailey, Rocky Boiman or any other of our backups filling in if Deebo or Woodley go down. Also they never get a break, if we had another good passrusher we could keep the starters fresher, another plus.

Agreed.

-2nd TE/FB cold be upgraded, Matt Spaeth doest really fit. I like David Johnson allot as a blocker, but he doesnt bring much as a catching threat.

Spaeth had a deplorable year. 5 catches, 25 yards, 1 td, and a fumble. His rookie season was better (5 catches, 34 yards, 3 td's, no fumble).

-Other then that, depth on the d-line and o-line are needed.

I think are needs are in this order:

- NT
Dan Williams - Tennessee - 1st round
Terrence Cody - Alabama - 1st round
Torrell Troup - Central Florida - mid rounds
Kade Weston - Georgia - mid rounds
Cam Thomas - North Carolina - mid rounds
Phil Taylor - baylor - midrounds

- S
Taylor Mays - USC - 1st
Earl Thomas - Texas - 1st
Reshad Jones - Georgia - 2nd
Nate Allen - USF - 2nd
Kam Chancellor - virginia tech - 3rd

- RB
CJ Spiller - Clemson - 1st round
Jahvid Best - UCLA - 1st round
Noel Devine - West Virginia - 2nd round
Charles Scott - LSU - 2nd round
Montario Hardesty - Tennessee - 2nd round
Toby Gerhart - Stanford 2/3 round

- CB
Joe Haden - Florida - 1st round
Patrick Robinson - Florida State - 1st round
Donovan Warren - Michigan - 2nd round
Perrish Cox - Oklahoma State - 2nd Round
Brandon Ghee - Wake Forest - 2/3 round
Trevard Lindley - Kentucky - 2/3 round
Myron Lewis - Vanderbilt - 3rd round
Syd'Quan Thompson - Cal- 3rd round
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - Indiana (PA) - 3rd round

- OT
Russell Okung - Oklahoma State - 1st round
Anthony Davis - Rutgers - 1st round
Trent Williams - Oklahoma - 1st round
Bryan Bulaga - Iowa - 1st round
Bruce Campbell - Maryland - 1st round
Vlad ducassee - Umass - 2nd round
Charles brown - USC - 2nd round
Selvish Capers - West Virginia - 2nd round
Jason Fox - Miami - 2nd round
Kyle Calloway - Iowa - 2/3 round
Jared Veldheer - Hillsdale - 3rd round
Ciron Black - LSU - 3rd round

- OLB (for us, so DE tweeners)
Brandon Graham - Michigan - 1st round
Sergio Kindle - Texas - 1st round
Greg Hardy - Ole Miss - 2nd round
Jerry hughes - TCU - 2nd round
George Selvie - USF - 2nd round
Eric Norwood - South Carolina - 2/3 round (could up at ILB in a 3-4 though)
O'Brien Schofield - Wisconsin - 3rd round
Brandon Lang - Troy - 3/4 round
Austen lane - murray state - 4/5 round

- TE/FB
Garrett Graham - Wisconsin - 3/4 round
Tony Moeaki - Iowa - mid rounds
Michael Hoomanawanui - Illinois - mid rounds

- D-Line
Ndamukong Suh - Nebraska - 1st overall
Gerald McCoy - Oklahoma - 1st
Jared Odrick - Penn State - 1st
Arthur Jones - Syracuse - 1st
Corey Wootton - Northwestern - 2nd
Tyson Alualu - Cal - 2/3 round
Mike Neal - Purdue - 2/3 round
Vince Oghobaase - Duke - 3rd round
Brandon Deadrick - Alabama - mid rounds

Can anyone give me some targets at those positions? I aint watched much college bal this year X'D

Cheers bro's!
Many more could appear, depending on who declares.

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 01-06-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Saltydawg
Rookie

Saltydawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post

Cornerback
- Joe Haden - He'll be long gone
- Patrick Robinson - I have no clue if he's worth it

Safety
- Taylor Mays - Tons of talent but does he have a prayer of picking up our defense?
- Earl Thomas - I wouldn't be unhappy with him

ILB
- Rolando McClain - God I wish he'd still be there. He's my favorite player in the draft- Brandon Spikes - Not sure if I like him as a pro.

NT
- Mount Cody - I like him but I'm scared by how gigantic he could become
- Dan Williams - Don't really know much about him. Is he a 3-4 NT?
Id love to see McClain there as well. vEry smart player. I would like to know more abgout Baluga or Iapati but they culd be solid if Davis is gone and of course Okung is as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:35 AM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RD1- Earl Thomas FS Texas

Thomas is a ballhawk who plays a very complete safety. He can and will support the run, he can blitz, he will throw his body around. Only negative he's 5-10 195lbs. He also is only 20 years old.

RD2- Jason Fox OT Miami
Max Starks has proved time and time again he is not an NFL caliber LT. Fox has the size, feet, and hands to play LT. This also allows us to move Colon to Guard and really improves the entire offensive line.

RD3- Daryl Washington ILB TCU

Farrior lost a step but this kid can fly. He is a 4.6 forty guy who makes plays sideline to sideline.

RD4- Kyle Wilson CB Boise St

Probably our biggest problem at CB is dropped picks. This kid has 11 career picks and took two to the house last year.

RD5- Eric Olsen OC Notre Dame

The one bright spot on the Golden Domes o-line. Only gave up one sack last season.

RD6- Brandon Banks WR/KR Kansas

Lights out return man and a pretty good receicer. Imagine having Holmes, Wallace, and Banks with their sub 4.3 forties on the field at the same time.

RD7- Michael Smith RB Arkansas

Parker is probably gone. So we get a nice change of pace back from Mendenhall. Smith was all set for a break out season but got injured. A lot like Warren Dunn.
FordFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM    (permalink
steelcrew43
Veteran

steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.

what do u guys think of chad jones -s-lsu... my personal favorite in the draft.. not best safety but id like him in the second

sig by me
Go buckeyes,steelers, cavs

PM me for jersey transfers
steelcrew43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM    (permalink
WorldBFree
Rookie

WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcrew43 View Post
what do u guys think of chad jones -s-lsu... my personal favorite in the draft.. not best safety but id like him in the second
I like him a lot. I hope he gets drafted in round 2 as well. I really hope the Steelers focus on defense in this draft. Maybe take an OL early, but focus mainly on the aging defense. I see post about how the team will be beter when Smith and Troy P come back. The assumption is that they can come back and play an entire season. I think there is little tread left on the tire in both cases. We need to start moving in younger players throughout the defense.
WorldBFree is offline   Reply With Quote