Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
I'm an english major as well and I enjoy Shakespeare's plays..Macbeth and Julius Caesar being 2 of my faves...just hate having to go through em in every class. Like I said, to me they're plays and should be treated as such not books. Idk why but I have a huge bias against Shakespeare in my english classes, maybe it because it seems a few of my teachers and professors have tried to shove it down my throat and I hate that.
Julius Caesar? Really? God that is seriously the most boring ******* play. I get it, "beware the ides of march", "Et tu, Brute?", and "Brutus is an honorable man", but my god that's a boring one with a bunch of ******* blabbering on and on.

Give me The Tempest, King Lear, Much Ado, and Midsummer Night's, Coriolanus, Comedy of Errors, Merchant of Venice, Taming of the Shrew, 12th Night, Winter's Tale, Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello, Titus Andronicus, and Henry the 5th, before I ever have to read Caesar.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A Midsummer Night's Dream = greatest.
Macbeth / Othello / Taming of the Shrew / Much Ado About Nothing = great.
Rest = meh.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
A Midsummer Night's Dream = greatest.
Macbeth / Othello / Taming of the Shrew / Much Ado About Nothing = great.
Rest = meh.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The one I absolutely hate is Romeo and Juliet. That one really chaps my ass.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read Midsummer night's Dream in high school... surprisingly, I loved it

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read it too...or was supposed to anyways...can't say I remember much.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just started Infinite Jest. This book is ******* huge.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Just started Infinite Jest. This book is ******* huge.
but ******* awesome. Very few books that large are difficult to put down, Infinite Jest absolutely is.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
but ******* awesome. Very few books that large are difficult to put down, Infinite Jest absolutely is.
That is why I picked it up. Heard nothing but great things and it sounds fascinating. Also picked up Brief Interviews With Hideous Men and Beat the Reaper. Gotta start reading more again.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't read infinite jest but have heard wonderful things about it. We started our existentialism class with a long reading from one of Wallace's books and it was interesting to say the least. Reading about his suicide is also pretty depressing. The fact that he thought he could control emotions somewhat and find happiness even in sadness was a flawed logic that would lead most people down the same road with that line of reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
The one I absolutely hate is Romeo and Juliet. That one really chaps my ass.
Actually many say that's his best.... probably b/c it was the 1st. Loved Mercutio's dying speech (I repeat it to myself every election yr ) :

"A pox on both your houses! You've made worm's meat of me!"

B/C my Shakespeare prof got busted for drugs many decades ago (heavy rap in Texas) when I was an English major, I took Shakespeare at Long Beach St. -- the designated dirty back alley campus of the Cal St. system when I lived in Orange Co. )Actually Chico St. is the party school ...............)

Anyway I really loved the bigtime tragedies like MacBeth ("Double, bubble, toil & trouble"), Hamlet, R&J, etc. that end the last act with the curtain coming down on a stage full of dead people.

The whole class saw Ian McKellan's Richard III at UCLA, very creepy, set in a hypothetical fascist England in the 1930s, great stuff!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114279/

King Lear was surprisingly scary & also very creepy, like a horror movie, Act I is all about the concept of zero & nothing.

I recommend seeing the film Anonymous is you like his biog & wonder about his life & times, I saw it & was blown away, thought it was Pic of the Yr. material, unfortunately no one else saw it though.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
On book 3 of The Hunger Games atm and I'm enjoying it. The first was really good and the second was pretty good.
Just my opinion, but Mockingjay sucked. The books go from best to worst 1, 2, 3. I feel like Collins just wanted to stop writing and end the story, so she just started writing in stuff that makes little sense and just makes things abruptly happen.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Just my opinion, but Mockingjay sucked. The books go from best to worst 1, 2, 3. I feel like Collins just wanted to stop writing and end the story, so she just started writing in stuff that makes little sense and just makes things abruptly happen.

I agree with you, I thought the 3rd book was terrible.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't think the third book was terrible, but the way she decided to "wrap up" a few of the storylines really pissed me off.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't think the third book was terrible, but the way she decided to "wrap up" a few of the storylines really pissed me off.

I guess it was just a huge let down to me after the first two. I was expecting some things to happen that I didn't want to happen, but just the whole way things happened and what happened just made me go, "Um, ok then..."

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reading The Road, not really my favorite writing style but only 90 pages

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I love Cormac McCarthy!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Reading The Road, not really my favorite writing style but only 90 pages
I'v wanted to read that for a while now, just based on the topic, but wasn't sure about the style. What is it like?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't read much this year, but I did re-reads of Utopia, Brave New World and Animal Farm in January and re-read Slaughterhouse Five a few weeks ago. SH5 is probably my favourite book of all time.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SH5 is on my list of books to read. I picked up Fahrenheit 451 last night and started reading it.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Road is pretty good, not great. I liked it. There is much better McCarthy, though.

Slaughterhouse V is just the tits.

I'm engrossed with labor history literature at the moment, so I've only been working in some graphic novels for the past month or so. Brian Vaughn, mostly, and some Batman. The usual light stuff.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Started reading a series of books by Matt Hilton. His character is an ex-military tough guy named Joe Hunter. Him and his sidekick Rink seem to get themselves into major fixes without really trying. I wouldnt put this guy in the same league as Lee Child's Jack Reacher but he is none the less entertaining. The Jack Reacher series (around 15 books by now) is second to none in that detective/problem solver genre.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Read this over the course of three days during work. Infinite Jest required more of my attention I figured so I held off. I have to say I was kind of blown away by how good Super Sad True Love Story was. Really entertaining novel, thought provoking, and all around just a pretty great book.

Never read this one before and just started. Loving the hell out of it so far. Vonnegut is the man.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Loved Cat's Cradle so much that I decided to read The Sirens of Titan. ******* incredible novel. I mean really incredible.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since the current discussion is trending towards dystopian novels, has anyone read 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami? I just started it today and read about a fifth of it already (it's 928 pages long.)