Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reading The Forever War right now on a suggestion from a friend. Quick and entertaining read so far.

I think I may do Game of Thrones again next, not sure though.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read The Old Man and the Sea today as my first exposure to Hemingway. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would like to read another of his works. Any suggestions peeps?

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Read The Old Man and the Sea today as my first exposure to Hemingway. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would like to read another of his works. Any suggestions peeps?
The Sun Also Rises. One of my personal favorites.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Sun Also Rises it is Brent. Thanks duder!

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Year of Yes by Maria Headley is an awesome book, recommend it to all.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

also, read a few books recently that were all wonderful:

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damned was actually good? I am a fan of Palahniuk's earlier works. Mainly Survivor but I also really enjoyed Rant. Read the back of Damned, thought it sounded ********, and decided I had no intention of reading it.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bukowski can lick both of my testicles.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Damned was actually good? I am a fan of Palahniuk's earlier works. Mainly Survivor but I also really enjoyed Rant. Read the back of Damned, thought it sounded ********, and decided I had no intention of reading it.
I love me some Chuck P., so I might be a tad biased, but I thought it was really funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
That's like saying you hate Hank Moody.

Last edited by Brent : 07-18-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I love me some Chuck P., so I might be a tad biased, but I thought it was really funny.
Right on. I read the part about her overdosing on weed and laughed to myself, deciding not to read it. Maybe I will give it a chance then since I am also a Chuck P fan. Just haven't read any of his books since Snuff (which I actually liked).
Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How the...Why? Bukowski is one of my favorite authors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
That's like saying you hate Hank Moody.
I do hate Hank Moody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
How the...Why? Bukowski is one of my favorite authors.
I cannot stand him and I never could. He is probably my least favorite author ever. Ugh.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well all my friends are at school now and I'm not, so I have taken up reading these past two weeks. During this time span, I have read The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, Heart of Darkness, Grapes of Wrath, and To Kill a Mockingbird. I think you can tell I am aiming for reading what are generally considered "classics." And that is what I am looking for suggestions on. Admittedly, I should clarify that by "classics," I am simply looking for anything that would be considered a hallmark of its genre. Although there are undoubtedly many lesser known books that are great, and I am sure there are many recently published books that are such, that is simply not what I am looking for yet.

It may help those who want to suggest books for me if I give my opinions on those books I listed above. Grapes of Wrath was definitely my favorite, Steinbeck's ability to encapsulate the conditions and lives of California migrant workers is just astounding. Gatsby was second, surprisingly. I "read" it in high school, but honestly could have given two shits about it back then, and I was honestly rereading it simply to say I had actually read it(a bit ironic given the subject matter). On rereading it though I gained an actual appreciation for it, I can now understand all of the fanfare, it is truly great. Of Mice and Men was third. I read this after and because of Grapes of Wrath, perhaps I just have a Steinbeck bias. Heart of Darkness I would put fourth, short but powerful. To Kill a Mockingbird was fifth. It was a very enjoyable novel, last on the list primarily because its subject matter appealed less to me than the others.

Also, here is a list of books/authors I am considering for any opinions;

- Ernest Hemingway
- Cormac McCarthy
- Slaughterhouse-Five
- On The Road
- Catcher In the Rye
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
- Moby-Dick

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Well all my friends are at school now and I'm not, so I have taken up reading these past two weeks. During this time span, I have read The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, Heart of Darkness, Grapes of Wrath, and To Kill a Mockingbird. I think you can tell I am aiming for reading what are generally considered "classics." And that is what I am looking for suggestions on. Admittedly, I should clarify that by "classics," I am simply looking for anything that would be considered a hallmark of its genre. Although there are undoubtedly many lesser known books that are great, and I am sure there are many recently published books that are such, that is simply not what I am looking for yet.

It may help those who want to suggest books for me if I give my opinions on those books I listed above. Grapes of Wrath was definitely my favorite, Steinbeck's ability to encapsulate the conditions and lives of California migrant workers is just astounding. Gatsby was second, surprisingly. I "read" it in high school, but honestly could have given two shits about it back then, and I was honestly rereading it simply to say I had actually read it(a bit ironic given the subject matter). On rereading it though I gained an actual appreciation for it, I can now understand all of the fanfare, it is truly great. Of Mice and Men was third. I read this after and because of Grapes of Wrath, perhaps I just have a Steinbeck bias. Heart of Darkness I would put fourth, short but powerful. To Kill a Mockingbird was fifth. It was a very enjoyable novel, last on the list primarily because its subject matter appealed less to me than the others.

Also, here is a list of books/authors I am considering for any opinions;

- Ernest Hemingway
- Cormac McCarthy
- Slaughterhouse-Five
- On The Road
- Catcher In the Rye
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
- Moby-Dick
Read Brave New World by Aldus Huxley.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Yes. Anything and everything by Hemingway and On The Road. Start with those.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Enders Game

Les Miserable

The Invisible Man
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't steer you away from any of those, though I have read barely any Joyce. Don't think I've ever gotten through On The Road in one consistent session.

I personally enjoy the three you have at the top, the most. Would probably add Brave New World by Aldous Huxley to the list, based on what you're looking for.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Read Brave New World by Aldus Huxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
I wouldn't steer you away from any of those, though I have read barely any Joyce. Don't think I've ever gotten through On The Road in one consistent session.

I personally enjoy the three you have at the top, the most. Would probably add Brave New World by Aldous Huxley to the list, based on what you're looking for.
^^^

Two of us agree. Make it so.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also have a lot more free time than I expected, right now, since city schools won't be open for a couple weeks.

Running through this, currently, which should take no time:

Also wanted to reread this one before I check out the movie, because, you know, high school:

Then figured I'd get around to this one, right here:

Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is good advice. On the Road is one of my favorite novels ever. Also, if you're looking for classics, make your way to some Faulkner. A Light in August is a beautiful book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You seem to be reading a lot of the books I read in AP English in high school so I'll suggest two that I loved.

The Stranger by Albert Camus
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Cuckoo's Nest is fantastic. One of my absolute favorites.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
^^^

Two of us agree. Make it so.
I would also suggest Brave New World.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
You seem to be reading a lot of the books I read in AP English in high school so I'll suggest two that I loved.

The Stranger by Albert Camus
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
The Stranger is another one I read in high school and another I would suggest.

Oldie but a goodie.