Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-21-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just finished a great book: Sting like a Bee: The Muhammad Ali story by Jose Torres. It's a really interesting read, because I found that being so young, the only stuff you hear now about Ali is how great and funny he was. This one was published in 1971, and ends right after Ali-Frazier 1. It gives a lot of perspective into the life of one of the greatest, most influential and most controversial athletes of all time. Despite being a good friend to Ali, he seems really honest about everything. He says in the book that he actually picked Frazier to win the fight with Ali, and gives solid reasoning to it as well. It's not a big book either, just a little over 200 pages, and it was pretty cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
Never said little.
I could have sworn you did... gebus I'm insane.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I think Breakfast of Champions might be his best book. Personal opinion, but its awesome
I really liked the Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, the apocalyptic black comedy decades ahead of its time Cat's Cradle, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, & the best is ......

Slaughterhouse 5 !!

Billy Pilgrim time travel (being "stuck/unstuck in time") & Vonnegut's WW2 autobiog experience as a Battle of Bulge POW who survived the fire-bombing of Dresden by being locked into Schlachthof Funf underground..... great stuff, unlike other comic existentialists & black humorists, Vonnegut, an ex-tech writer at IBM in Poughkeepsie, NY, has some punch in his prose. Movie version was kind of meh, BoC film was worse with Bruce Willis, book was good with his hand drawn cartoons mixed into the text.

Everything after Galapagos sucked though. There are 2 new collections of previously unpublished works, one fiction & one nonfiction, released for the Xmas mkt. Def made my Xmas list.

If you can find it, KV's 1st & best short story collection Welcome to the Monkey House is a great read, Harrison Bergeron the best short story IMO, unusual great film version with Sean Astin. It's never come out in hardback to my knowledge.

Last edited by LizardState : 12-22-2009 at 11:03 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bukowski is so awesome.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufFan71 View Post
just finished the Inheritance series

(eragon, eldest, brisingr)

great series
Yeah some people hate Paolini, but I think it's a pretty awesome series. Reminds me of Lord of the Rings, and I guess I'm into that stuff so. The only part that sucks is waiting for him to release the next book or ATLEAST let us know when it will be released...

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got a late christmas gift, the blindside. Looking forward to reading it after seeing the movie.
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still ******* waiting for the Windup Girl to come. Pumped, but it's taken Borders more than a week to get it. Ordered it Christmas night, didn't even ship it until four days later. Also ordered the Etched City. I'll rage if it's not here by Sunday.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone read Crichton's pirate book?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:36 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soccernomics is a great book for anyone interested in soccer.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Still ******* waiting for the Windup Girl to come. Pumped, but it's taken Borders more than a week to get it. Ordered it Christmas night, didn't even ship it until four days later. Also ordered the Etched City. I'll rage if it's not here by Sunday.
Oh God, I plowed through that book in about a week. Having a book that I'm legitimately interested in makes reading fun...yes, I said fun.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Got a late christmas gift, the blindside. Looking forward to reading it after seeing the movie.
The movie does a great job of portraying how great of a story the Michael Oher situation really is. But, even as Oher pointed out, the movie makes him look 'stupid' when he started high school football.

Thankfully the book shows how it really was...He was a natural and dominated almost from the start. A little too much Hollywood made him look confused when he strapped on a helmet, not true.

In this case, the book is better in my opinion.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WATCHMEN!

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Books are 95% better than the movie usually.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:53 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
Oh God, I plowed through that book in about a week. Having a book that I'm legitimately interested in makes reading fun...yes, I said fun.
I've heard nothing but GLOWING things about it and I've been so broke I haven't been able to read a book in a month. Really want it to arrive :(

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
All-NFLDC

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished Last Words the George Carlin semi autobiography. Spent all of today reading it and **** it was fantastic. I already respected the hell out of Carlin and consider him an inspiration but the book just made my love the man even more.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Finished Last Words the George Carlin semi autobiography. Spent all of today reading it and **** it was fantastic. I already respected the hell out of Carlin and consider him an inspiration but the book just made my love the man even more.
I considered picking that up.

On another note, I'm 150 pages into Tucker Max's book and literally bored. It's all the same after a while.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
That goes with out saying.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post

I would go 70%, actually. There are more movies that are superior than you would think.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the book series which true blood is based off of is not great, the show is way better

Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I considered picking that up.

On another note, I'm 150 pages into Tucker Max's book and literally bored. It's all the same after a while.
Thats because Tucker Max is the epitome of what is wrong with the current generation and contributes to the stupid frat boy stereotype which not only gives guys actually able to hold a conversation about something other then beer, sex, or their dick size an awful reputation by gender alone, while also influencing several other important mediums as well.

I hate that ****.

Also, just read The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. Been wanting to read it for a while, but never got round to it till the holidays. Nice read, if you want to learn to bury and and all opponents both military and political.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Nice read, if you want to learn to bury and and all opponents both military and political.
I love The Prince. I dont know why, because I'm not the aggressive/motivated type.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Appropriate for this thread, not a New Yr's resolution: How many books did you read last yr? List them here if you wish.

My best guess was 8:
  • Tijuana Straits, Kem Nunn
  • Up In Honey's Room, LaBrava, & Road Dogs, Elmore Leonard
  • Inherent Vice, Thomas Pynchon
  • Wicked Plants, Amy Smart
  • Best American Mystery Stories of 2000
  • I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to Be Destroyed By Me: Emblems from the Pentagon's Black World, Trevor Paglen

I will enter pleas of laziness & too much cable, like they said back in the 80s about cable, 500 CHANNELS & NOTHING IS ON!! Really, really sick of reruns.....

I'm hoping to break a dozen books read in 2010.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet between university and my own personal reading, I must have burned through about 40 novels last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I would go 70%, actually. There are more movies that are superior than you would think.
This I don't believe. There are a very large number of movies made based off of books and considering that, in general, the large percentage of movies suck anyway, very very few wind up even living up to the book, much less surpassing it.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well a large percentage of books suck too.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote