Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the best CB in the NFC East
Sheldon Brown 11 6.40%
Lito Sheppard 60 34.88%
Terence Newman 86 50.00%
Shawn Springs 14 8.14%
Anthony Henry 1 0.58%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to answer to why I voted Lito (and I'm definitely not a Cowboys or Eagles fan, if I am partial to any NFC East team, it's the Skins from growing up in the area) -

Yes, I believe, pure coverage, Terence Newman is probably the best corner on that list. But I don't believe Lito's coverage abilities is that much worse off than him, and I believe that people didn't challenge Newman as much this year in part because Henry was injured and could be attacked (and no, I don't think Henry would be the number 1 on a lot of other teams, on a couple teams, maybe). Since I don't think the overall cover abilities are that much different between the two, Lito's playmaking ability and instincts is what gives him the edge for me. Granted, a case can be made that the poor play of Brown this year and the openings in deep coverage may have helped Lito as well.

BBD - I actually look for Gregg Williams to mess around a bit more. Last year, he ran a cover 2 base, but not the Tampa 2 base, in an effort to try and protect agains the pass and stuff the run. That blew up in his face, when the personnel overthought the requirements, and the offense wasn't consistent enough to protect against the flaws.

Here's one random thing I'll toss out (not saying this is what he'll do ... but just a random idea) - I wonder if the Skins might be able to really get creative, and perhaps, say, run a 2-gap cover 2 scheme that blitzes. Sounds like a ton, and I obviously am just throwing it out there. But personnel wise, the Redskins lack the ability to create pressure from base sets, as they ideally need another pass rusher on the outside to pair with Carter, and an interior pass rusher. If they bulk up on base sets, a 2-gap scheme could protect against the run a bit better, and allow the linebackers to roam a bit more. Their secondary has better depth with the Fisher and Smoot signings, but both are questionable signings as well, although they should be improvements from last year. The safety position next to Taylor is iffy, but Taylor, though, can't consistently sit back as it limits his impact, and he needs to be put in a position where he doesn't have to overthink his role and can trust his instincts.

Just random thoughts I guess that I was scratching out for fun at a meeting the other day when I started daydreaming. In short, though, I expect Gregg to throw some wrinkles in there.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

No, Newman is just as good of a playmaker, he just doesn't get thrown at. Watch his college tapes. The reason Lito gets more picks is because 1, you get more pressure, and 1, he is thrown at A LOT MORE. Have you ever seen the Eagles d-line rotation, as much as I hate them, they are pretty nasty at getting pressure. Probably top 3 in the league, so thier CBs look a lot better because of that. Newman doesn't have that luxury.

And now eaglesalltheway you are reverting to acting like a 2 year old, and swearing.

And if you don't think Newman plays just like Deion, expectbetter tackling, your definitly on some type of drug.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
No, Newman is just as good of a playmaker, he just doesn't get thrown at. Watch his college tapes. The reason Lito gets more picks is because 1, you get more pressure, and 1, he is thrown at A LOT MORE. Have you ever seen the Eagles d-line rotation, as much as I hate them, they are pretty nasty at getting pressure. Probably top 3 in the league, so thier CBs look a lot better because of that. Newman doesn't have that luxury.

And now eaglesalltheway you are reverting to acting like a 2 year old, and swearing.

And if you don't think Newman plays just like Deion, expectbetter tackling, your definitly on some type of drug.
Are you Terence Newman's mom or something? I defend my favorite players too but wow now you're just making ignorant staments.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You are out of your mind. I am pretty sure Deion Sanders was never beaten by receivers of the caliber of Mike Williams, Michael Jenkins, and Ashley Lelie. I like Newman, I voted for him, but your homerism gives all 'Boys fans a bad name.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's just as good of a playmaker? He had one pick all season, and Lito was out for four games and had 6 INTs. As for acting like a two year old, your the one who kees PMing me to tell me why Newman is better, which isn't true. I told you four PMs ago I would like to stop, but you had to keep going. And by the way, I saw I had another PM from you, and I deleted it, so stop wasting your time PMing me because I will delete another one. So in conclusion, get over it, stop whining (Like that one better, I don't want to stoop down to your level) and just shut up about this already.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Dillen hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Are you serious? Do you watch the Eagles? When Kearse went out, the defensive line rotation SUCKED. For 14 games, there was no rotation. 3 DEs. 3 DTs. Every team does that. There was hardly any pressure on the QB last year. 40 sacks, and 16 came in the first 3 games. After that there was almost no pass rush to be seen, other than when they played the Drew Bledsoe statue.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

I am not saying he is as good as deion, I am just saying his playing styles are just like Deion's. And all 3 of those TDs Newman gave up, the QB had over 5 seconds, which shouldn't happen, because our pressure sucks.

And the eagles are known for there pressure. They have 10x the pressure the cowboys do, and Lito definitly benefits from it.

I just love how eaglesalltheway actually thinks Newman isn't the best CB in the East, lmao.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As for the college stuff, that is college, not the NFL. The talent is much better in the NFL than college. Lets see how much of a fan you are of this guy TNew, if this guy is your favorite player, you should know where he went to colloge and High School. I will expect that information within 10 minutes of this post, though it should be 5, I am cutting you a break, so be thankful.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

Eaglesalltheway, I am not whinging, you are. I won, you lost. How is Newman not a better CB?

And did you not read my post?

Newman doesn't have half the pressure you do, and he is thrown at about 3x less than Lito, so he can't make plays, but Lito can. Newman is a beter playmaker, it is not his fault he doesn't get the chance.

Oh well, everyone says Newman is the best in the East, and he is. So you stop whining.

He went to college at Kansas State, I don't care about high school. And why does that matter in this arguement?...
Old 03-10-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am not saying he is as good as deion, I am just saying his playing styles are just like Deion's. And all 3 of those TDs Newman gave up, the QB had over 5 seconds, which shouldn't happen, because our pressure sucks.

And the eagles are known for there pressure. They have 10x the pressure the cowboys do, and Lito definitly benefits from it.

I just love how eaglesalltheway actually thinks Newman isn't the best CB in the East, lmao.
I know right. How dare he have an opinion.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Eaglesalltheway, I am not whinging, you are. I won, you lost. How is Newman not a better CB?

And did you not read my post?

Newman doesn't have half the pressure you do, and he is thrown at about 3x less than Lito, so he can't make plays, but Lito can. Newman is a beter playmaker, it is not his fault he doesn't get the chance.

Oh well, everyone says Newman is the best in the East, and he is. So you stop whining.

He went to college at Kansas State, I don't care about high school. And why does that matter in this arguement?...
Ypur winning because you have about 5 times as many Cowboy fans on here than ther are Eagles fans, so if you take that into account, Lito would be pummeling Newman in the votes, which don't matter anyway.

TNewFan41
Veteran

If Lito was on the Cowboys, we wouldn't even know who he was, lets put it at that. We don't have alot of pressure, so he would get owned. While Newman still shuts his guy down all the time. If Newman were on the eagles, he would shut his guy down, and have double digit picks. That is why he is better.

OMG eaglesalltheway, did you not read what everyone said, half of lito's votes are just votes to piss me off, not real votes. And only 3 cowboys fans voted. So Newman is actually pummeling Lito. Thanks for trying though.
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

5 minutes TNew

Old 03-10-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

for what????
Old 03-10-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Apparently you don't read the posts, but now you have 5 minutes to tell us where Newman went to college and High School. He is your favorite player, so you should know all of this stuff.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

tic tic, tic tic. Clocks a'wastin

Old 03-10-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

He went to college at kansas st., I already told you that. And I don't care where he went to high school.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i value corners strictly for their coverage abilities after suffering through years of Bly + Fernando Bryant, so i'll go with Newman.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:
If Lito was on the Cowboys, we wouldn't even know who he was, lets put it at that. We don't have alot of pressure, so he would get owned. While Newman still shuts his guy down all the time. If Newman were on the eagles, he would shut his guy down, and have double digit picks. That is why he is better.

OMG eaglesalltheway, did you not read what everyone said, half of lito's votes are just votes to piss me off, not real votes. And only 3 cowboys fans voted. So Newman is actually pummeling Lito. Thanks for trying though.
So you're bashing your whole defense just to hype up 1 player? And enough with the ignorant statements, you are making yourself look like the biggest ass right now.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The epitome of Terrence Newman: In the Carolina game, Delhomme threw a jump ball to Keyshawn Johnson. Instead of turning around, attacking the ball in mid-air, Newman jumps up and blocks Johnson from getting the ball. If he had ball skills and actually tried to make plays, like a Champ Bailey, he would be one of the best corners in the game. Right now he is on the 'very good' plateau. He benefits from teams not attacking him at all. Why should they? Because Anthony Henry, Roy Williams, whomever they've had at FS, are all poor in pass coverage. As anyone who watched them last year, and isn't blinded by homerism, can attest to.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-10-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Isn't he your favorite player? You don't care where he honed his skills to eventually become the best CB in the NFC East, supposedly.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

Dude, are you serious? I don't care where he went to high school.

ANd yes, I am bashing my d-line, not anyone else. Ask any cowboy fan. We couldn't get any pressure at all last year.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The epitome of Terrence Newman: In the Carolina game, Delhomme threw a jump ball to Keyshawn Johnson. Instead of turning around, attacking the ball in mid-air, Newman jumps up and blocks Johnson from getting the ball. If he had ball skills and actually tried to make plays, like a Champ Bailey, he would be one of the best corners in the game. Right now he is on the 'very good' plateau. He benefits from teams not attacking him at all. Why should they? Because Anthony Henry, Roy Williams, whomever they've had at FS, are all poor.
Are you serious? ball skills are one of his best attributes, but ok.

And henry is a great #2 CB, just to let you know.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Champ Bailey>Terrance Newman
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

No, really?