Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had impressive size and athletic ability, accuracy, came from a pro style offense and proved he could make NFL reads and throws against top notch competition.

No one foresaw this huge regression in skills, especially after such an impressive finish last year.

Lets not pretend he was always that bad though, he showed a lot of nice things down the stretch last year, without any weapons but Zach Miller.
Saints-Tigers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Russell is a bust. I thought he'd be a bust before he got drafted. You don't draft a qb with poor work ethic #1 overall. I was surprised so many people liked him coming out. He just had a big arm, thats all.
Exactly the same for me too. Russell had too much of a bust factor for me, and felt like stretching need over BPA Calvin Johnson.

Although to be fair, I would have considered Brady Quinn, who isn't looking too hot either. So goes to show, I guess.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Russell more than Quinn,* but I thought Russell was the worst fit for the Raiders. Someone with his question marks was doomed by going to Oakland; if he went to a team with a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room he may not have turned out this poorly. That being said you have to take a chance on the franchise QB and hope that you hit. I think it was worth a shot, especially since Calvin Johnson hasn't exactly made an impact on the W-L column.

* I despised Quinn as a prospect, no lie.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Exactly the same for me too. Russell had too much of a bust factor for me, and felt like stretching need over BPA Calvin Johnson.

Although to be fair, I would have considered Brady Quinn, who isn't looking too hot either. So goes to show, I guess.
Very true. I was also in the Brady Quinn camp. I thought he'd be good.

The thing with Quinn is, he's great at making adjustments presnap and he gets it, he can read defenses, its just theres this mental block thats killing his confidence right now.

He's scared to throw downfield and checks down way too much. The guy knows what he's doing, but for some reason, just isn't doing it.

Russell on the other hand, just has no clue what he's doing.

I liked Trent Edwards too. He sucks as well. That was just a terrible draft class. Kevin Kolb looks like the only qb from that class that has potential of panning out.

And I think its no coincidence that he was able to sit and learn, and had a great organization to give him exactly the treatment he needed to succeed. A strong front office goes a long way with these guys.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darren McFadden questions to all:

1. Will Darren McFadden be a consistent 1500 yards from scrimmage and 12 TDs player for the Raiders?

2. It's called the Wildcat now, but it was really the Wildhog with McFadden and Felix Jones doing an excellent job at it at Arkansas. Should the Raiders use McFadden for a Wildhog look now?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Mayock nailed the criticism of McFadden coming out:
  • Stiff Hips
  • Does not break enough tackles for his size
  • Major case of fumblitis
That being said I think he could be more successful on a different team, but never to the point of living up to his draft position.

They might as well try the "Wildhog" with him and Bush, it cannot be worse than what they are trying to do now offensively.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember getting killed for thinking McFadden had high bust potential in him.

He was just too lanky for my liking. I didn't go out on a limb and say he'd be a bust, but I definitely wasn't his biggest fan either.

That said, once I saw him put on pads in the NFL, I thought he'd prove me wrong, he looked good in spurts. He just needs to get out of Oakland.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with McFadden is that his only real shot at being a 1500 yard rusher is in a successful zone blocking run attack, which is something that Oakland can't do very well with their interior line the way it is. Gallery is out, Grove is gone, and Carlisle is old. This forces the Raiders to try and get McFadden the ball on sweeps, which didn't work at all yesterday (Houston's linebackers were blowing that up in the backfield all day long).

Perhaps the only plus to Cable sticking around was that it meant a continuation of the best possible scheme for McFadden. When he leaves, Oakland may wind up with a far less conducive system for McFadden.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can hear the din of the Raider fanbase calling for the return of Norv.

Has the legal system ever requisitioned a coach midseason like this before? Are we in new territory? Exciting.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I liked Russell more than Quinn,* but I thought Russell was the worst fit for the Raiders. Someone with his question marks was doomed by going to Oakland; if he went to a team with a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room he may not have turned out this poorly. That being said you have to take a chance on the franchise QB and hope that you hit. I think it was worth a shot, especially since Calvin Johnson hasn't exactly made an impact on the W-L column.

* I despised Quinn as a prospect, no lie.
I mean, a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room presence are things all QBs need. The list of guys that have saved a franchise and performed well despite these things is very very low.

Raiders are a bad situation for any QB at the moment, and it all begins at the top.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Yeah, but if you put someone like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning I have a feeling they would do their best and play hard even surrounded by such terrible surroundings. But Russell had concerns that he was "lazy" (kinda like Crabtree with his diva attitude) and Oakland is the absolute worse place for someone like that.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I mean, a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room presence are things all QBs need. The list of guys that have saved a franchise and performed well despite these things is very very low.

Raiders are a bad situation for any QB at the moment, and it all begins at the top.
at least he got a good check.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I manage a team better than Al Davis.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Russell is a bust. I thought he'd be a bust before he got drafted. You don't draft a qb with poor work ethic #1 overall. I was surprised so many people liked him coming out. He just had a big arm, thats all.
And 85% of this very football forum blasted me when I said literally the same thing.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Darren McFadden questions to all:

1. Will Darren McFadden be a consistent 1500 yards from scrimmage and 12 TDs player for the Raiders?

2. It's called the Wildcat now, but it was really the Wildhog with McFadden and Felix Jones doing an excellent job at it at Arkansas. Should the Raiders use McFadden for a Wildhog look now?
might as well run the Wildhog and even let him throw every now and then.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
I can hear the din of the Raider fanbase calling for the return of Norv.
ya right, just look what he (and injuries) are doing to the charger organization. Norvel wouldn't be able to save JaMarcus and he's a terrible head coach, I hope he stays with san diego for a long long time.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Russell has a great work ethic and he sucks so much because he listens to his coaches. I bet Asmougha is a total space-case.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote