Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mayock: I'd Take Mack Over Clowney

Thoughts?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl... ney/15825518
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think both end up being star players
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
There's a good reason he's not employed by an NFL franchise.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 AM    (permalink
I_C_DeadPeople
Rookie

I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
There's a good reason he's not employed by an NFL franchise.
He clearly stated the reason was questionable work ethic and not physical talent or potential. It is a legitimate concern. Quite frankly, I would not be drafting any player high with a questionable work ethic.
I_C_DeadPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I can see where he's coming from. Mack isn't just a pass rusher, he's a complete linebacker who can cover, hit, and tackle in addition to blitzing and being a 10+ sack per year guy. Clowney has a lot more risk and baggage. In five years we might look back on those comments and say, "yeah, he was kinda right." We could be more likely to see Mack as a consistent dominant defensive player than Clowney over his career for sure.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would it really be an Earth shaking shock if Mack is a better NFL player than Clowney? It's not like all the top defenders in the league were the top rated defenders in their Draft. I have no idea who will be better, but being the top rated defender doesn't guarantee Clowney is a lock to be better than all the other defensive prospects.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its not ridiculous, but I'd be shocked if Mack ended up better. I love Mack as a prospect, I just think Clowney is on a different level than just about anyone.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:37 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Mack did just have 100 tackles, 19 TFL, 10.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, seven pass breakups, three interceptions and two touchdowns his senior year (and was a four year starter) and Clowney had like 3 sacks total last year. Clowney has ridiculous physical talent and skills, but ya never know.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM    (permalink
GoonSquad
Rookie

GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Well Mack did just have 100 tackles, 19 TFL, 10.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, seven pass breakups, three interceptions and two touchdowns his senior year (and was a four year starter) and Clowney had like 3 sacks total last year. Clowney has ridiculous physical talent and skills, but ya never know.
Of course someone looks at stats and makes them out to be the end all be all.

Clowney has to be accounted for like no other player in the history of the sport.

Regularly double and triple teamed no matter where he lined up on the field. People that look at the stat line and say Clowney wasn't tremendous this year mean nothing to me.

Watch games, not the stat line or highlights.
GoonSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Because comparing statistical output from the SEC and MAC makes sense?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
There is no doubt that the pros don't like prospects who take a season off to protect their health, it puts a red flag next to their name. However, it doesn't necessarily mean they won't play hard as a pro, so I still have confidence in Clowney to become a top NFL DE. However, unless the top 3 QB's aren't as good as advertised and begin to slip on draft boards, Clowney likely goes #5 to Oakland if 3 QB's get drafted early. He could also go #4 if the Rams trade back twice which is quite possible if both the Browns and Atlanta trade up.

That being said, how much do we really know about Mack except his one game against Ohio St. where he looked great. They are calling this draft the best of the last decade and just maybe Mack is one of the reasons why, maybe he is a lot better than we think. I know I'll be watching very closely at the Combine to reach my own conclusion. Mayock has wetted my appetite.

This is why they hold the Combine and Pro days to sort out the truth and I guess Mayock just raised Mack to a prospect worth paying close attention to.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Would it really be an Earth shaking shock if Mack is a better NFL player than Clowney?

Seriously though, watching Clowney play this year, I felt like I was watching the defensive end equivalent of DeWayne Robertson. I realize he looked phenomenal the prior two years, but essentially taking off his senior season..... that's a big warning sign to me. There are a lot of players who had all of the physical tools and had good numbers in college, but didn't do anything in the pros and I'd be very concerned Clowney is the next inductee into that coulda-been club.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonSquad View Post
Clowney has to be accounted for like no other player in the history of the sport.
How did you determine this? Did you use an accountedforometer? Did Clowney measure higher than Suh, Peppers, Mario Williams or Courtney Brown on the accountedforometer?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mack to me, I love that kid, and just because he played in Buffalo, I’m banging the tables for him.
What Mayock?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Camp Arm
Rookie

Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike mayock has always been a guy that loves effort and high motor guys over supreme talent with questionable motivation.

He loves "football players" as he puts it.

In this comparison though i would not be surprised at all if mack ends up the better player.
Camp Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to say I would be surprised if Mack turns out to be better than Clowney, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This isnt surprising Mayock has always been a play on the field guy rather than a measurables guy
Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me it's:

Do you want Julius Peppers or Von Miller? Most would say Miller. The thing that kept Peppers from being the better player(assuming Miller keeps playing like he did when healthy) is his work ethic. Same issues/concerns with Clowney.
SRogers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Regularly double and triple teamed no matter where he lined up on the field. People that look at the stat line and say Clowney wasn't tremendous this year mean nothing to me.

It's not just about stats. Clowney was pretty quiet most games, even though he did make a big impact in several games where he didn't accumulate big numbers. Watching Mack, especially seeing him dominate like he did against Ohio State, was very impressive. He's a football player and a great athlete and gives great effort.

Point wasn't that Mack is better b/c of stats, it's that he produced consistently and Clowney pretty much took most of the year off. Watch the tape, hehe. It's obvious how many more plays he took off in 2013 compared to any other year before.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Stats are never the end all, agreed.

Clowney accounted for historically like no other is a joke. Derrick Thomas was the same way, but still managed something like 26 sacks (note Clowney's goal at the beginning of the season), watch the tape. The other comparisons noted by Hasley hold true, watch the tape. I wont even start pulling out the B. Smiths, L. Taylors, and R. Whites of the world. "Like no other in the history of the sport." Please.

Both were regularly double teamed, its not like teams did not know who was Mack entering the season, or teams in the MAC dont know how to adjust pass protection, or double team people. I watched the games. Clowney's athleticism and potential are unreal, and rare, but there are issue's with him for sure, when Spurrier regularly calls you out through the media there is an issue, he watches the tape, and the game in person.

Singling either one is asking for trouble, its on the tape.

Who would you bet is going to work harder to achieve their potential? I'd bet my money on Mack, despite not being the freak athletically that Clowney is. Ability like stats is not the end all. History shows anyone watching that.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
Stats are never the end all, agreed.

Clowney accounted for historically like no other is a joke. Derrick Thomas was the same way, but still managed something like 26 sacks (note Clowney's goal at the beginning of the season), watch the tape. The other comparisons noted by Hasley hold true, watch the tape. I wont even start pulling out the B. Smiths, L. Taylors, and R. Whites of the world. "Like no other in the history of the sport." Please.
You realize that sacks were counted differently when Thomas played right?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:47 PM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
You realize that sacks were counted differently when Thomas played right?

It doesn't change his point. People accounted for Thomas.
SRogers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
lol no (10 char)
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:33 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Worst overuse of hyperbole in the history of the universe right here.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if Mack is better than Clowney, doesn't mean it would be right to take him over Clowney.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote