Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
i just watched some gaines adams highlights and read up on him a bit. i take back everything i said and am embarassed for defending him. he is a bust. good move by the bucs to swallow their pride and cut their losses while adams still has some value.
Sure, so far he's a bust. And he very well might be a bust. But it's a risk that, as a Bears fan, that I'm pleased with. He's still young enough, and the chances of the Bears landing an end with that talent in the 2nd round next year was unlikely. While Rod Marinelli was bad as HC, I am a huge fan of his as a DL coach. Again, don't look it as a move necessarily for this year. It's as much a move about next year, for me, and it gives Marinelli more time to work with him. This year, Adams is essentially a 3rd/4th end ... and that's a solid 3rd/4th end, imo.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What an excellent move for the Bucs. They get rid of a scrub and get a second rounder for him. It doesn't get much better, unless it's a first rounder.

The Bears FO should be ashamed. They don't have a single day one pick now, and they gave their only one up for a bonafide scrub.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chicago overpaid for Gaines. Good trade.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good trade for the Bucs but I think Adams still has some upside.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Sure, so far he's a bust. And he very well might be a bust. But it's a risk that, as a Bears fan, that I'm pleased with. He's still young enough, and the chances of the Bears landing an end with that talent in the 2nd round next year was unlikely. While Rod Marinelli was bad as HC, I am a huge fan of his as a DL coach. Again, don't look it as a move necessarily for this year. It's as much a move about next year, for me, and it gives Marinelli more time to work with him. This year, Adams is essentially a 3rd/4th end ... and that's a solid 3rd/4th end, imo.
How hard is it to coach Tommie Harris (1st round), Adewale Ogunleye (had to trade for), and now Gaines Adams (former top 5 pick, traded for). Who are examples of guys Marinelli has coached up? I ask out of sincerity because I don't know everything there is to know about the Bears.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I guess this is a trade that, for me, is a win-win for both sides, then. I certainly understand the desire to clear deck and getting a mid-late 2nd for Gaines, after his disappointment, is a nice plus. I still think, though, that this is a very good move for the Bears to get Gaines in and working with Rod Marinelli for a year before he's actually expected to do anything. If they don't see enough out of him, they can always spend on Adewale or sign another FA. Again, this was likely to be the dominant Bears need for this upcoming offseason, even perhaps moreso than WR. I still say that the Bears wouldn't have found a DE with Gaines talent at their likely mid-late part of the 2nd round.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
How hard is it to coach Tommie Harris (1st round), Adewale Ogunleye (had to trade for), and now Gaines Adams (former top 5 pick, traded for). Who are examples of guys Marinelli has coached up? I ask out of sincerity because I don't know everything there is to know about the Bears.
He's actually made all of them better this year. Adewale and Alex Brown didn't exactly come off quality seasons. Mark Anderson has, in what I've seen so far, been better than last year. Marcus Harrison looks better, and Israel Idonije, always useful before, seems to have more bounce, for lack of a better term right now. Short of it is, he's made them better pass rushers based on technique and gameplanning, which is all you can expect out of a coach. The Bears pass rush really wasn't all that good last year. Certainly, the increased Ron Rivera type defense has helped a bit, but the DL has been getting better penetration early in the year.

Tommie says Rod has made a huge difference, although part of me thinks it's a healthy Tommie, and part of me thinks that the Bears have been utilizing him better.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this trade could very well benefit both teams.

For the Bears, they get a former Top 5 overall pick who's just entering his 3rd season in the NFL. Bears have one of the best DL coaches in the NFL in Rod Marinelli, and it's not like the scheme will be different at all in Chicago. If they can get more out of him than Tampa could, which apparently they think they can, then this move could pay off for them.

For the Bucs, they're not getting what they want out of Adams, and were able to find a trade partner who would give them great value for him. It sucks to miss on a Top 5 pick, but at least you were able to sell high before Adams's lack of production possibly continued and his value gradually decreased more and more. They now get a 2nd RD pick to invest toward their rebuilding effort, and can move on.

I'd probably be pretty optomistic over this trade if I were a fan of either team. The gamble seems worth it for the Bears, and the compensation is generous for the Bucs.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wowwwww........

I love this trade. With O-Gun up for free agency next year we needed a replacement. I just wonder how they are going to get everyone playing time.

Rod Marinelli FTW!!

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Minnesota alum Stylez G. White moves into the starting lineup!! Best name ever!!

Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofi View Post
The Brown aren't regretting drafting Joe Thomas. And what's funny about this is that Wisenhunt would have drafted Brown even if Thomas was still on the board.
What was his reasoning again for picking Brown even if Thomas was available?
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rod Marinelli does not turn **** to gold.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:56 AM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wowzerzzz!!!!

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:14 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bears still need maybe another WR, a couple if not more Olineman, and maybe depth at LB, help in the secondary. But clearly this a team charting a path towards the SB.

I would bet that Adams will be a better player in Chicago than he was in Tampa. But it is worrisome that he never flashed for the Bucs, (10+ sacks).

It's not like they drafted him and then played him at OLB. All he had to do was line up wide and abuse OTs, which clearly he couldn't do.

IMO, the Bears should have kept that 2nd rounder and tried to sign a LB, Olineman, or WR - positions that could have helped put Chicago closer to a title than signing Adams.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:19 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Bears still need maybe another WR, a couple if not more Olineman, and maybe depth at LB, help in the secondary. But clearly this a team charting a path towards the SB.

I would bet that Adams will be a better player in Chicago than he was in Tampa. But it is worrisome that he never flashed for the Bucs, (10+ sacks).

It's not like they drafted him and then played him at OLB. All he had to do was line up wide and abuse OTs, which clearly he couldn't do.

IMO, the Bears should have kept that 2nd rounder and tried to sign a LB, Olineman, or WR - positions that could have helped put Chicago closer to a title than signing Adams.
we need more depth at LB? really? we dont need them we have at least 4-5 starting caliber LBs if not more. both the top2 MLBs and the SLB where out and we hardly lost a beat. What makes you believe we need a LB

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:51 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like this trade is getting an almost overwhelmingly positive response from the people that matter; Bucs and Bears fans.

I guess this trade is truly win-win because both parties fans seem to be happy for the most part.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:59 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i guess seeing what Marinelli did from last year to this year makes us really confident about him.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
i guess seeing what Marinelli did from last year to this year makes us really confident about him.
Seeing Gaines under achieve for this last 2 and a bit seasons is why we are happy.

He won't be horrible, but I seriously doubt he'll be a 10+ sack guy.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Well, I guess this is a trade that, for me, is a win-win for both sides, then. I certainly understand the desire to clear deck and getting a mid-late 2nd for Gaines, after his disappointment, is a nice plus. I still think, though, that this is a very good move for the Bears to get Gaines in and working with Rod Marinelli for a year before he's actually expected to do anything. If they don't see enough out of him, they can always spend on Adewale or sign another FA. Again, this was likely to be the dominant Bears need for this upcoming offseason, even perhaps moreso than WR. I still say that the Bears wouldn't have found a DE with Gaines talent at their likely mid-late part of the 2nd round.
I agree.

And even if Gaines does succeed, I won't be upset. 2 years and a bit was more than enough for our staff to pass judgment on him.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Seems like this trade is getting an almost overwhelmingly positive response from the people that matter; Bucs and Bears fans.
The rest of us don't matter. :(
Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
This is so surprising, at first I want to think it was a nice aggressive move by Chicago, but seriously, who drafts a guy top 5 and in a few years trades him for a 2nd rounder? It's painfully obvious he was a bust for them to consider this move, so it's a risk that he turns into the talent that made him a top pick.

I really hope a 4-3 team steps up and makes this type of deal for Dorsey, I love him as a 2nd round pick to a 4-3 team because I feel like the system is holding him back more so then talent or motor.
Worked for them for McFarland! But hey, the Bears won't have very many picks in this upcoming draft not.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I understand that by 4th pick in the draft standards Gaines has been a bust, but if there was a late 2nd round pick that had 13 sacks in his first two years, I wouldn't consider him a bust.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I understand that by 4th pick in the draft standards Gaines has been a bust, but if there was a late 2nd round pick that had 13 sacks in his first two years, I wouldn't consider him a bust.
Sacks don't tell the whole story though. He's been abysmal vs the run.

Again, I understand why Chicago did this, and I can see where they're coming from, but I don't agree with it.

Maybe I overvalue picks, but I think Chicago gave up too much. A 3rd round pick would be good, but a 2nd? I think thats too much.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRickJames View Post
The Bears FO should be ashamed. They don't have a single day one pick now, and they gave their only one up for a bonafide scrub.
Why? because They'd magically be free from picking up a scrub in the draft?

The difference between this and using that pick in the draft... is that you know what you're getting, you have 2 years of NFL level competition, 2 years that Marinelli can do the things that Gaines is Lacking. Focus and Consistency in Technique... Most former players credit Rod for improving both of those tremendously. Do the little things right all the time, that's the difference.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Sacks don't tell the whole story though. He's been abysmal vs the run.

Again, I understand why Chicago did this, and I can see where they're coming from, but I don't agree with it.

Maybe I overvalue picks, but I think Chicago gave up too much. A 3rd round pick would be good, but a 2nd? I think thats too much.
We've had this conversation before, but I could really care less what my DE's do against the run if they can produce a pass rush. Let's say it's the 54th pick (I think 9-10 wins is reasonable for the Bears). The last 5 guys at 54 are:

2009- Phil Loadholt
2008- Jason Jones
2007- Turk McBride
2006- Bernard Pollard
2005- Eric Shelton

We'll see what Loadholt does, but I'd take Gaines over the other 4 no question.