Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 10-17-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 6 - Raiders vs Eagles

Here's some insight into Russell leading up to this game:

Quote:
The Philadelphia Daily News spent inordinate amount of time on a story about Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell this week. What follows is the bulk of that story, with critiques of Russell by scouts, former players and former general managers:

Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Sean McDermott is expected to hold another blitzfest at the Oakland Coliseum on Sunday when the Eagles play the 1-4 Raiders and their struggling young quarterback, Russell.

Russell, the first overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, is playing about as badly as a quarterback can play right now. He is at, or near, the bottom of every pertinent NFL passing category. His .421 completion percentage is can’t-jump-out-of-a-boat-and-hit-the-ocean stuff. His 47.1 passer rating is 10 points below Josh Johnson’s. He has just one touchdown pass in five games and has yet to complete more than 12 passes in a game this season.

“This has the potential to be really, really ugly,” former Kansas City Chiefs vice president of player personnel Bill Kuharich said. “The Eagles should eat him up this week with their blitzes.

“This kid has zero confidence right now. And I haven’t seen any indication, except for maybe one drive against the Chiefs [a 13-10 Raiders win in Week 2] that he is going to get this thing squared away.”

Last week, the 6-6, 265-pound Russell was sacked six times in the Raiders’ embarrassing 44-7 loss to the New York Giants. He completed just 8 of 13 passes for 100 yards. The week before, he was 12-for-33 for just 128 yards in a 29-6 loss to Houston. The week before that, 12-for-21 for 61 yards in a 23-3 loss to Denver.

Ask a dozen NFL personnel people why Russell’s career is heading down Ryan Leaf Road and they’ll give you a number of factors, including an inability to read coverages, bad throwing mechanics, a poor work ethic and a young receiving corps that he’s not on the same page with.

“When he came out, I thought he had the most dominating physical skill-set of any college quarterback I’d seen in the last 10 years,” said respected NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock. “Having said that, I also said I couldn’t draft him in the first round because I didn’t think it mattered that much to him.

“One of the things I’ve learned from some of the better coaches and talent evaluators in the NFL is that after God and family, football had better be next. If it’s not, I don’t want him, No. 1. And No. 2, I sure don’t want him in the first round.

“The bottom line for me with this kid is I never thought he wanted to be the best in the league at his position. At that position, you want the gym rat. And I never, ever got the sense that he was close to being a gym rat.”

Russell pretty much wasted his rookie season when he held out until September and played in just four games for the Raiders. He finally seemed to be headed in the right direction late last season after playing well in the Raiders’ season-ending wins over Houston (18-for-25, 236 yards, two TDs) and Tampa Bay (14-for-21, 148 yards, two TDs). But there have been few positives in his play so far this season.

“He’s regressed,” Kuharich said. “His problem, to me, is his ability to read defenses, No. 1. Secondly, his accuracy. And thirdly, his inability to process things fast enough and get rid of the ball. He holds on to the ball too long.”

“I don’t see any development at all in him,” said NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger. “I watched Josh Johnson’s first two starts and could see development from the first week to the second. He made some throws to Kellen Winslow last week that were great throws. He uses his speed. He uses his athletic ability.

“I don’t see that in JaMarcus Russell at all. I don’t see any foundation where you put the tape in from 2 years ago and put the tape in from now and see any command of the position and what he’s looking at.”

Like Mayock, Baldinger questions just how important the game really is to Russell and how much work he’s willing to put in to get better.

“JaMarcus just wants everything that goes with being the No. 1 pick and a star NFL quarterback without doing any of the work,” he said.

“I did a game for Fox out there last year. I was at their Friday practice. JaMarcus had twisted his knee the day before, but was supposedly fine. He’s out there with a sweat shirt and sweat pants on. He’s not standing by the quarterbacks coach. He wasn’t following the game plan whatsoever. He wasn’t even paying attention.

“If you get hurt in practice, all right, that happens. But at least have the [play] script in front of you and be tuned in to what all the calls are and what you’re looking at.”
http://raiderbeat.com/?p=5262
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go Raiders?!?!?!?!?!?!

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trent Cole and co are going to have a field day.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we win this one,we're going to need major major yards on the ground and some inspired defensive play.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:07 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Advice, if you have the Eagles D on FF, start em. I did.

All I want this season now is for Russell to improve. If he doesnt, I dont see how we can believe he is our future.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say we start doing something new in Oakland. We have obviously seen that what we are currently doing is not working our offense is dismal. Russell's mind just isnt there to be a QB in the NFL. He plays with no emotion he should be the one fireing up this team all I see him do is go straight to the bench and put on his beanie. I think we should bech Russell to get him fired up show him he isnt guaranteed anything on this team. The key in this game will be our running the ball effectively and our play on D and if we cant get it goin on offense like ususal I say we run some Wildcat what do we really have to lose at this point.
SwagU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have nothing to lose,and if JaWalrus can just hit some simple throws,and our running game gets going,we might have a shot.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:22 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Our running game wont get going since we cant pass. Teams are putting 8 or 9 guys in the box because Russell cant complete anything. DMC is becoming a bust this season and Bush isnt the type of load horse you can hand the ball to the whole game.

Things wont change until Al changes. He has to give the coaches control and hire a GM. I remember last year people saying theres a chance Bill Parcels could come over here is Al would allow it. They are friends and well Parcels has a great track record. Ive heard some rumors of Jon Gruden still wanting to coach and is willing to coach in Oakland again if he can have some control.

We have solid pieces to the team like Asomugha, Seymour, Henderson, Miller and some others, we just lack leadership in the locker room and effort. Im all for getting rid of Russell and drafting Jake Locker. Locker has a good arm, accuracy has improved every season, great athlete and gives us a new demention to the offence.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 10-17-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's forget this Raiders myth of the Raiders being a one-dimensional vertical passing team. During all our Super Bowl years our offense was predicated on the success of our run game. That's how I feel we're going to be successful offensively with or without Russell for the next few years.

Right now despite what everyone says we don't have the combination of backs to get the job done consistently. At their size and height both DMC and Bush are easy targets to tackle, especially DMC who's very limited in his change-of-direction skills. We don't necessarily need a Darren Sproles type back, however, someone who can handle a greater workload and have a bigger effect in the run game like an Ahmad Bradshaw would be most ideal.

Watching Mark Ingram tonight made me realize how much we could use a back like him to help get us out of this mess.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

goooooooooo raaaaaaaaiiideeeersssssssss!
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 AM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Our running game wont get going since we cant pass. Teams are putting 8 or 9 guys in the box because Russell cant complete anything. DMC is becoming a bust this season and Bush isnt the type of load horse you can hand the ball to the whole game.

Things wont change until Al changes. He has to give the coaches control and hire a GM. I remember last year people saying theres a chance Bill Parcels could come over here is Al would allow it. They are friends and well Parcels has a great track record. Ive heard some rumors of Jon Gruden still wanting to coach and is willing to coach in Oakland again if he can have some control.

We have solid pieces to the team like Asomugha, Seymour, Henderson, Miller and some others, we just lack leadership in the locker room and effort. Im all for getting rid of Russell and drafting Jake Locker. Locker has a good arm, accuracy has improved every season, great athlete and gives us a new demention to the offence.
Offensive Line should be our first priority. Henderson hasn't been too bad,but we need an upgrade.Draft Okung or Suh to help that porous run D. 2nd round maybe look at a QB or more line help on either side.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SwagU is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont think DMC is a bust yet. I just think we just arent useing him the right way. When I watch the raiders on TV all I see are these up the middle runs with Mcfadden. I think we should use him more like they did with him in Arkansas he is a playmaker so get the ball in his hands wether its passing the ball or whatever. He has been plagued by injuries his first to years and LT can tell you how hard it is to come back from those toe injuries. Bush I dont believe can be are every down guy but he shows great running ability in spurts with some more developement this duo could be like Wheatley and Garner back in 2002 if we use them and develop them right.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 AM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank the lord that 2010 will be an uncapped year. We can get rid of sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many horrible contracts (hopefully).

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNixon View Post
Offensive Line should be our first priority. Henderson hasn't been too bad,but we need an upgrade.Draft Okung or Suh to help that porous run D. 2nd round maybe look at a QB or more line help on either side.
I agree with you the oline needs a big upgrade(some1 like Bulaga or Okung to play LT and Henderson RT would be great), but I feel Locker is the real deal prospect that is going to be what Vince Young was going to be. He has atleast 4.5 speed and a good arm. I watched him last night and he looked great IMO. His team is only alright, but he makes them good.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 10-18-2009, 12:27 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
Thank the lord that 2010 will be an uncapped year. We can get rid of sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many horrible contracts (hopefully).
Thats another great thing. Hopefully its good bye Walker, Kelly, Carlisle, and we work out new deals with Gallery, Morrison, Seymour and Henderson

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 10-18-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

Quote:
I agree with you the oline needs a big upgrade(some1 like Bulaga or Okung to play LT and Henderson RT would be great), but I feel Locker is the real deal prospect that is going to be what Vince Young was going to be. He has atleast 4.5 speed and a good arm. I watched him last night and he looked great IMO. His team is only alright, but he makes them good.
O-line does need some big revamping but this years class is so weak. If we get a top 5 pick like I think we will we have to go Suh I believe he is goona be dominant and will shut down those running holes in the middle we leave open and be a valuable pass rusher. He is way more athletic and doesent give up on tackles like Kelly. If not trade down from the early first and acquire more picks I dont see to many O-linemen going top 10 if we decide to go that route.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

stream for the blacked-out?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

My friend is at the game in the hole and said we went 3 and out on the 1st drive. Russell is getting booed already

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 10-18-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

we sacked mcnabb though
SwagU
Veteran

Great first defensive stand for the Raiders sack by Trevor Scott on 3rd & 8. This is why we should be calling more blitz plays.
locseti
Veteran

anyone got a link?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

http://eplsite.com/channel7.html
Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Does any1 know where I can watch this for free on the internet? IDK why but I have a feeling that we are going to play alright this game. We always seem to get our ass's handed to us for a few weeks then play a decent game against some1 we should be killed by.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 10-18-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

check the post above you
Old 10-18-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
SwagU
Veteran

Im watching on the sunday NFL ticket. But I believe you can watch the game on Justin.TV.