Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stalking Brian Leonard and Raymell Rice
Posts: 24,661
Reputation: 4323141
scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

you know if i said that, i'd be getting ridiculed for being a homer...i'm still a homer...but still
__________________
We ALL bleed scarlet
New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11,475
Reputation: 1827586
CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
you know if i said that, i'd be getting ridiculed for being a homer...i'm still a homer...but still
Wow we now have scotty on record worried about appearing to be a homer. Amazing stuff.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 29,449
Reputation: 4397441
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Just wait till Mohammed Sanu takes the NFL by storm.

RU orgasm*
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.
Posts: 20,775
Reputation: 2041711
Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
Frank Gore when healthy is amazing as well.
My FF team is just waiting to unleash the beast.
__________________
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,424
Reputation: 307159
Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Rice is good, but I still think I'd rather have AP, Chris Johnson, Turner, Gore, Mojo, DeAngelo Williams and possibly Leon Washington. Rice is definitely equal or really close to most of these guys though.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,652
Reputation: 83184
JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Too many health issues to take over some of these guys, though I definitely agree. MoJo is the only real argument I can come up with here since I'm not the biggest Jackson worshipper.
Here's a theoretical.

What if the Colts had drafted Maurice Drew in 2006 instead of Joseph Addai, as they seriously considered doing?

He would have been PERFECT for their offense. Running against five or six men in the box every play? I'd say 1,400 yards rushing and 700 yards receiving every year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
MJD is an exception to every rule.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,461
Reputation: 175801
49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Yeah because if I could I would take Steven Jackson; unfortunately he is wasting away in St Louis watching his best years pass him by.
Steven Jackson needs to be traded, the Rams are obviously rebuilding and it could be years before the Rams get competitive. Jackson's in his prime and should be traded, but it's hard to think of a trade partner.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NOVA
Posts: 3,556
Reputation: 104940
BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
Here's a theoretical.

What if the Colts had drafted Maurice Drew in 2006 instead of Joseph Addai, as they seriously considered doing?

He would have been PERFECT for their offense. Running against five or six men in the box every play? I'd say 1,400 yards rushing and 700 yards receiving every year.
oh my god, that would be so unfair yet so fun to watch. but for the sake of the Ravens and any other team in the league; Thank god that never happened.
__________________
BmoreBlackByrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,728
Reputation: 56147
BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The thing about Running backs is so many are average getting those four and give yard carries that are so important to offensive production, they'll tick away with 2 and 3 yard carries and then bust a big gain late in the game, good enough for the stat page sure, but Ray Rice is one of those guys who's perfect in the 3/4/5 yard carries and though he's not got tremendous breakaway speed he'll hit long enough and hard enough to pick up the few extra yards offenses need to be more efficient.

I'm happy with the guys we have and there's definitely better backs in the NFL, but if I've got one series and I need to get consistent production out of a back there's few in the NFL that I see who're better in that area of gaining "good" production consistently.
__________________

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: wrigleyland
Posts: 7,668
Reputation: 93956
awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Steven Jackson needs to be traded, the Rams are obviously rebuilding and it could be years before the Rams get competitive. Jackson's in his prime and should be traded, but it's hard to think of a trade partner.
eh...

I'm gonna go on a limb and say:

Indy, Giants, NE and GB are the only teams that'd have more use from sjax than the rams.

Because most of the teams that have bad RB's have plenty more problems.
__________________
http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 29,449
Reputation: 4397441
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
The thing about Running backs is so many are average getting those four and give yard carries that are so important to offensive production, they'll tick away with 2 and 3 yard carries and then bust a big gain late in the game, good enough for the stat page sure, but Ray Rice is one of those guys who's perfect in the 3/4/5 yard carries and though he's not got tremendous breakaway speed he'll hit long enough and hard enough to pick up the few extra yards offenses need to be more efficient.

I'm happy with the guys we have and there's definitely better backs in the NFL, but if I've got one series and I need to get consistent production out of a back there's few in the NFL that I see who're better in that area of gaining "good" production consistently.
I personally think D. Williams is the 2nd best RB in the league. Its not his fault his offense is abysmal this year. Put him on the Ravens and he'd be toe to toe with Adrian Peterson imo.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: anaheim - home of the...ducks?
Posts: 9,998
Reputation: 307973
soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I personally think D. Williams is the 2nd best RB in the league. Its not his fault his offense is abysmal this year. Put him on the Ravens and he'd be toe to toe with Adrian Peterson imo.
i agree. the thing with peterson is that his rookie season was SO good, that we put him on an ungodly pedestal.

Granted, he is still the best rb in the league, but the gap isn't as big as people think.

Deangelo Williams is fast, elusive, can catch out of the backfield. The panthers just have horrible play calling and don't give him the ball enough.

Don't sleep on J-stew though. If he was on a different legitimate team, he'd be a top 10 rb as well.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Uncle Sam is CLUTCH!
Posts: 5,876
Reputation: 25259
Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I'll add something about the MNF game, but I have a lot on my agenda tomorrow so I figure I will post something now:

It Is Early, Yet..

The Saints are the best team in the NFL. The Colts are right up there with them, but I would give the Saints the edge because they have a much better running game and the defense is playing a little better. This team has impressed me much more than the 2006 team that went to the NFCCG.

What I like is they've shown they can win with defense and a running game and they don't rely on Brees slinging it around, although they are fine doing that. Pierre Thomas has been quietly becoming one of the NFL's best backs. They need to keep feeding him the ball and with him, Bell and Bush they should be able to grind out a lot of wins.

With that being said: They still have two games against a 4-1 Atlanta Falcons team that lost its only game to a strong Patriots team in Foxboro. I've said it before, I think the two games could amount to 150 total points. Both defenses are opportunistic and certainly both offenses are legit.

There is still a long way to go, but as of this moment the Saints are the front-runners.
The Saints defense is playing better than the currently 2nd ranked defense in the NFL in terms of points allowed? I have to strongly disagree with this statement. Give Peyton Manning a defense that only allows the opponent 14 points per game, as his is currently, and the Colts are going to win quite a bit of the time considering they're currently 49-0 with Peyton Manning under center when allowing 14 points or fewer. I would say the Colts defense is playing at a much higher level than the Saints defense. That doesn't make the Colts the better team, they just currently have the better defense IMO. Right now I'd also say the Saints offense is playing noticeably better than the Colts offense, so it kind of evens out. That said, it would be fun to watch a game between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post

Strange That We All Forgot About Them


The Arizona Cardinals made it to their first Super Bowl and nearly won it. They started slow and a lot of us chalked it up to the SB losers curse. Now they are tied for the division lead and I would give them the advantage going forward. Kurt Warner, contrary to what I thought, has maintained an elite level of play and I trust him over Shaun Hill in a tight division race. The run defense has played exceptionally well and if they could get Beanie Wells going (he is stuck in a Mendenhall like purgatory) they could really go off.
It would take a lot for me to believe that Kurt Warner still has whatever magic he found in the late 90s/early 00s. They may be able to win the NFC West and make another run (though I'd watch out for the 49ers), but I think they're roughly the same team they were last year, which was at times one of the league's best, but more often sporadic and unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
What's Wrong With Tom Brady?

Now we will see a transition from Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about Brady's struggles to Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about his successes. At the end of the day I don't think anything was wrong with him to begin with. He has had some tough match-ups and has had struggles with the line in front of him. The Titans secondary, however, is the cure to all passing game woes.

I would say that New England is a team that is very dangerous. I know people have talked about the Broncos and Colts as being front-runners, if I were them however I would be terrified of facing New England in the playoffs. They are not quite as good as they were in 2007, they are probably better than they were in 2004 and 2005 though.
Better than 04 or 05? I'd like to see their defense face a real challenge that isn't a sophomore QB having a bad day before I said anything like that. Why should the Broncos fear them? They've already beaten them. I'm looking forward to the usual sweeps matchup this year, but the Colts are consistently getting pressure on opposing QBs. If that continues, they should be able to shut down the Patriots offense, as that's been their weakness all season thus far. That said, I'm glad the Colts currently have a 2 game advantage on them, but no moreso than I am that they have a 2 game advantage on the Steelers and Chargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The NFC Least

This division has imploded thus far. What has happened, I think, is all the teams were forced into making high risk maneuvers to stay competitive with one another and it hasn't paid off. Only the Giants stuck with their draft philosophy to fill their needs and it is no coincidence that they are the best team in the division. When will teams learn not to rely on big acquisitions? In a high pressure media environment with high expectations it is hard to resist the temptation to trade for a Roy Williams or sign an Albert Haynesworth.

These teams just are not consistently good football teams. The Eagles can look great, then they go out and lose to the hapless Raiders. The Cowboys barely beat the Chiefs before the bye week off of the gift of two missed tackles by Mike Brown. The Redskins cannot even eek out a winning record against winless teams. I think it is safe to say that the NFC North and South are superior divisions right now.
The Eagles had a bad week, I still think they have all the pieces to compete in the postseason. Other than that, I agree though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The Best Ravens Player Is Named Ray

Rice, not Lewis. It has been an interesting thing to watch the Ravens become an offensive football team; but when you have Ray Rice and Joe Flacco, why not? I have not seen a RB with that kind of balance in a long time, he just keeps upright and moving forward. Right now he is on pace for a 1,176 yard rushing, 867 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns. Behind that O-Line and with the weather going south soon I see no reason he won't meet those numbers. I know many liked Rice coming out of Rutgets, I know I did, but how many people saw him being this good?
Scotty and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Missed Opportunities

The Houston Texans were a sexy pick as a playoff team this year. They should be in the hunt, but due to a few mistakes they are still quite a ways behind. Matt Schaub has become a legitimate NFL QB and as long as he stays healthy the Texans can score with the best of them. Unfortunately the run defense took a while to appear, they have been strong in the last two games though. But the biggest problem is their running game; Chris Brown (he's still in the league?) single-handedly lost two games at the goal line, Steve Slaton hasn't been nearly as effective as he was as a rookie and they have shown no signs of life in that facet of the game. They were two plays away from being 5-1, but now they are 3-3 and have an uphill path to the playoffs.
The Texans have actually surprised me thus far, but they seem to be becoming what the Jacksonville Jaguars were a few years ago, the team that flashes a ton of potential but makes dumb mistakes that cost them and winds up on the outside looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
How to Build a Top Flight Team

Let us look at the 2008 Atlanta Falcons draft:

1. Matt Ryan -I don't really need to go into too much depth into why this was a great pick. He wildly out-performed my expectations for him, especially when it comes to his intelligence and arm strength.

1. Sam Baker - Has been stellar at LT, very balanced in all facets of the game. It sure doesn't seem like his "short" arms have impacted his performance.

2. Curtis Lofton - Has been phenomenal at MLB and has really come along this year. He hasn't had the best NT in front of him either.

3. Chevis Jackson - He hasn't made an impact like I would have hoped.

3. Harry Douglas - Tore his ACL, but was an exciting weapon as a rookie and should be a great slot receiver once he comes back.

3. Thomas Decoud - Has been a big surprise for us. He has been very good in both coverage and in the run game.

5. Robert James - No impact.

5. Kroy Biermann - He reminds me of a young Patrick Kerney. High motor and has three sacks in five games. Has surplanted Jamaal Anderson at LE.

6. Thomas Brown
7. Wilrey Fontenot
7. Keith Zinger

Thank God for Thomas Dimitroff.
Good drafts usually do the trick, as do good players.
__________________


The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Lynn Swan of SWDC Hall of Fame
Posts: 18,270
Reputation: 210983
Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
i agree. the thing with peterson is that his rookie season was SO good, that we put him on an ungodly pedestal.

Granted, he is still the best rb in the league, but the gap isn't as big as people think.

Deangelo Williams is fast, elusive, can catch out of the backfield. The panthers just have horrible play calling and don't give him the ball enough.

Don't sleep on J-stew though. If he was on a different legitimate team, he'd be a top 10 rb as well.
If the Panthers had a QB how amazing could they be? I like DeAngelo Williams a lot actually. He is very well rounded and can be downright unstoppable as he showed last year.

Tier 1

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Chris Johnson
3. Ray Rice
4. Steven Jackson
5. Maurice Jones-Drew
6. DeAngelo Williams
7. Frank Gore
8. Ronnie Brown
__________________

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,728
Reputation: 56147
BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
i agree. the thing with peterson is that his rookie season was SO good, that we put him on an ungodly pedestal.

Granted, he is still the best rb in the league, but the gap isn't as big as people think.

Deangelo Williams is fast, elusive, can catch out of the backfield. The panthers just have horrible play calling and don't give him the ball enough.

Don't sleep on J-stew though. If he was on a different legitimate team, he'd be a top 10 rb as well.
The scary thing is Williams is actually ahead of his production at this point in the season last year.

As mentioned though Delhomme is a serious handicap.
__________________

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KO-V>O-V
Posts: 14,841
Reputation: 1045649
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
The scary thing is Williams is actually ahead of his production at this point in the season last year.

As mentioned though Delhomme is seriously handicapped.
Fixed it for ya.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,728
Reputation: 56147
BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

It works either way. Part of me wonders, if he continues throwing 1 TD for every 2 INTs, why not just let Matt Moore have a shot? Even if he is as bad, at least he is learning and we can see what we have in him.
__________________

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11,475
Reputation: 1827586
CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
It works either way. Part of me wonders, if he continues throwing 1 TD for every 2 INTs, why not just let Matt Moore have a shot? Even if he is as bad, at least he is learning and we can see what we have in him.
Because Delhomme inexplicably has a brand spankin new contract.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,728
Reputation: 56147
BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Yeah, he's not on huge money though and his hit over the next few years is less than it would've been otherwise.
__________________

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Back to back to back winning seasons ftw
Posts: 6,974
Reputation: 64327
d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Great write up. I have to give major props to Joe Flacco and the Baltimore offense in their game against the Vikings. Its not too often that a team can come into MIN and score 30+ against a Viking defense that has been dominant during the season. If they could have found a way to keep Rex Ryan, Newsome could continue drafting well and the defense would be back at the top within a couple of years, with Flacco & Rice firing on all cylinders on the other side (with Gaither and Oher blocking. thank god the Ravens are in the AFC) - that is a scary thought. As much as I love Ryan, I really can't get enough of Flacco right now.

The Falcons defense isn't eye popping, but like last year, they are doing a great job of bending but not breaking. Against a cup cake schedule, the Falcons D ranked 24th in yards given up but 11th in points given up. So far this year, the D ranks 23rd in yards given up, and a very impressive 4th in points given up per game (15.4). The competition has been decent, as they have gone to NE (struggling Brady) and faced Cutler off of a bye. I don't know how long this defense can keep up, but until it gets more talent (couple more drafts from TD...), Mike Smith and BVG are doing a great job hiding deficiencies while not giving up huge points.
__________________

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,436
Reputation: 203452
Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Speaking of how awesome Ray Rice is... I'm feeling pretty good about me picking Sidney Rice is looking like he's putting things together now. I said he had the potential to be the 2nd best pro out of his draft class behind Megatron. Obviously hes been shown up by Bowe, Smith, Breaston probably, but he was only a RS So when he came out and I think he still can be a great receiver. His length and leaping ability is so good. Hopefully with having a better quarterback now in Favre (and hopefully someone else whose not terrible in the future) he can prove me right. I was all over him that year as a prospect.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,114
Reputation: 486981
Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Great write up. I have to give major props to Joe Flacco and the Baltimore offense in their game against the Vikings. Its not too often that a team can come into MIN and score 30+ against a Viking defense that has been dominant during the season. If they could have found a way to keep Rex Ryan, Newsome could continue drafting well and the defense would be back at the top within a couple of years, with Flacco & Rice firing on all cylinders on the other side (with Gaither and Oher blocking. thank god the Ravens are in the AFC) - that is a scary thought. As much as I love Ryan, I really can't get enough of Flacco right now.
I would give my left nut if Ryan can somehow come back to baltimore this defense is horrible. Ozzie has built the offense very good now he has to go rebuild the deffense. I agree I think Flacco is better(homerism all the way but who cares) but both will be very good for a very long time so ya cant complain.
__________________
Ravens1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Enjoying a succulent peach
Posts: 10,596
Reputation: 2578670
Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I would give my left nut if Ryan can somehow come back to baltimore this defense is horrible. Ozzie has built the offense very good now he has to go rebuild the deffense. I agree I think Flacco is better(homerism all the way but who cares) but both will be very good for a very long time so ya cant complain.
I feel exactly the same way about Spags and Reece as you do about Ozzie and Ryan, with a true NT and LB who can cover as well as blitz Spags would be doing scary thigns with this defense.
__________________

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,830
Reputation: 2545615
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

It's nice to hear thoughts that are well put together even if I don't agree all the time, it's nice to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I'll add something about the MNF game, but I have a lot on my agenda tomorrow so I figure I will post something now:

It Is Early, Yet..

The Saints are the best team in the NFL. The Colts are right up there with them, but I would give the Saints the edge because they have a much better running game and the defense is playing a little better. This team has impressed me much more than the 2006 team that went to the NFCCG.

What I like is they've shown they can win with defense and a running game and they don't rely on Brees slinging it around, although they are fine doing that. Pierre Thomas has been quietly becoming one of the NFL's best backs. They need to keep feeding him the ball and with him, Bell and Bush they should be able to grind out a lot of wins.

With that being said: They still have two games against a 4-1 Atlanta Falcons team that lost its only game to a strong Patriots team in Foxboro. I've said it before, I think the two games could amount to 150 total points. Both defenses are opportunistic and certainly both offenses are legit.

There is still a long way to go, but as of this moment the Saints are the front-runners.
I have to disagree about the running game. This team is still all about the pass. If Brees were to go down, the running game wouldn't be able to carry the load. If you wanna call it improved, I guess since Deuce was such a has been. Bell is nothing special though and Bush is still only effective in space as a check down receiver or running East-West. The Saints are a popular pick right now, but I still think they lack substance. The Cardinals and Patriots have proved that you need more than just a passing game and anabove average D. ...as they have had both and not won. Passing games get you attention in the regular season, but in the playoffs, you need D and a run game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post

Strange That We All Forgot About Them


The Arizona Cardinals made it to their first Super Bowl and nearly won it. They started slow and a lot of us chalked it up to the SB losers curse. Now they are tied for the division lead and I would give them the advantage going forward. Kurt Warner, contrary to what I thought, has maintained an elite level of play and I trust him over Shaun Hill in a tight division race. The run defense has played exceptionally well and if they could get Beanie Wells going (he is stuck in a Mendenhall like purgatory) they could really go off.
Reason why we forgot about them is because they haven't earned real respect yet. 2nd place finishers never do. For all the fans who think playoff wins are nice. They are, but they don't get you real respect until you get a ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
What's Wrong With Tom Brady?

Now we will see a transition from Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about Brady's struggles to Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about his successes. At the end of the day I don't think anything was wrong with him to begin with. He has had some tough match-ups and has had struggles with the line in front of him. The Titans secondary, however, is the cure to all passing game woes.

I would say that New England is a team that is very dangerous. I know people have talked about the Broncos and Colts as being front-runners, if I were them however I would be terrified of facing New England in the playoffs. They are not quite as good as they were in 2007, they are probably better than they were in 2004 and 2005 though.
I agree. Nothing was ever wrong with him. You don't just discredit a guy like Brady. If there were ever any doubters... Shame on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The NFC Least

This division has imploded thus far. What has happened, I think, is all the teams were forced into making high risk maneuvers to stay competitive with one another and it hasn't paid off. Only the Giants stuck with their draft philosophy to fill their needs and it is no coincidence that they are the best team in the division. When will teams learn not to rely on big acquisitions? In a high pressure media environment with high expectations it is hard to resist the temptation to trade for a Roy Williams or sign an Albert Haynesworth.

These teams just are not consistently good football teams. The Eagles can look great, then they go out and lose to the hapless Raiders. The Cowboys barely beat the Chiefs before the bye week off of the gift of two missed tackles by Mike Brown. The Redskins cannot even eek out a winning record against winless teams. I think it is safe to say that the NFC North and South are superior divisions right now.
Bad week for the NFC East, but "imploded"? Nah, you will still see NY and Philly beat up on other teams pretty badly as the season progresses. Dallas might have a great game here and there. Redskins are done.

The Roy Williams trade gets bashed, but do they really go into 2009 with Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin as thier starters? TO would be gone w/ or w/out the trade, imo. His time was up. The coaching staff could no longer take it. If the Boys relied on the draft to fill WR, that would've been a riskier proposition. Maybe the mistake was trading for the wrong WR. I could see that logic, but I would always prefer established veterans ahead of rookies. Jerry has shown that too... Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, TO... and now Roy. The only other FAs brought in were Sensabaugh, Brooking and Olshansky. Cheap and playing well other than Sensy (hurt). The Boys only 2 loses were a close 33-31 lose to NY and failure to score on the goaline against the Broncos. Don't say the word "imploded" just yet. We're still figuring things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The Best Ravens Player Is Named Ray

Rice, not Lewis. It has been an interesting thing to watch the Ravens become an offensive football team; but when you have Ray Rice and Joe Flacco, why not? I have not seen a RB with that kind of balance in a long time, he just keeps upright and moving forward. Right now he is on pace for a 1,176 yard rushing, 867 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns. Behind that O-Line and with the weather going south soon I see no reason he won't meet those numbers. I know many liked Rice coming out of Rutgets, I know I did, but how many people saw him being this good?
Actually, I'd like to say that I always thought he'd be this good. scottyboy can atest. I loved Ray Ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Missed Opportunities

The Houston Texans were a sexy pick as a playoff team this year. They should be in the hunt, but due to a few mistakes they are still quite a ways behind. Matt Schaub has become a legitimate NFL QB and as long as he stays healthy the Texans can score with the best of them. Unfortunately the run defense took a while to appear, they have been strong in the last two games though. But the biggest problem is their running game; Chris Brown (he's still in the league?) single-handedly lost two games at the goal line, Steve Slaton hasn't been nearly as effective as he was as a rookie and they have shown no signs of life in that facet of the game. They were two plays away from being 5-1, but now they are 3-3 and have an uphill path to the playoffs.
Same 'ole, Same 'ole. The "New" Cardinals? Remember how everyone used to think that about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
How to Build a Top Flight Team

Let us look at the 2008 Atlanta Falcons draft:

1. Matt Ryan -I don't really need to go into too much depth into why this was a great pick. He wildly out-performed my expectations for him, especially when it comes to his intelligence and arm strength.

1. Sam Baker - Has been stellar at LT, very balanced in all facets of the game. It sure doesn't seem like his "short" arms have impacted his performance.

2. Curtis Lofton - Has been phenomenal at MLB and has really come along this year. He hasn't had the best NT in front of him either.

3. Chevis Jackson - He hasn't made an impact like I would have hoped.

3. Harry Douglas - Tore his ACL, but was an exciting weapon as a rookie and should be a great slot receiver once he comes back.

3. Thomas Decoud - Has been a big surprise for us. He has been very good in both coverage and in the run game.

5. Robert James - No impact.

5. Kroy Biermann - He reminds me of a young Patrick Kerney. High motor and has three sacks in five games. Has surplanted Jamaal Anderson at LE.

6. Thomas Brown
7. Wilrey Fontenot
7. Keith Zinger

Thank God for Thomas Dimitroff.
I think you're missing one... Michael Turner.

Lofton almost cost them the game yesterday, but yeah, gotta applaud him stepping up in his role and as a leader.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 23,303
Reputation: 487699
Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I would give my left nut if Ryan can somehow come back to baltimore this defense is horrible. Ozzie has built the offense very good now he has to go rebuild the deffense. I agree I think Flacco is better(homerism all the way but who cares) but both will be very good for a very long time so ya cant complain.
I'm not sure if it's Ryan coming back or not. You lost too much on defense and replaced it with not nearly enough talent. Ryan just lost to one of the worst offenses in the NFL. I'm not sure he's the difference in your defense not being up to snuff.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.