Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's true, and ugly to watch.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
what if they go 4-3?

I think the Jets blitzes are starting to get picked up bc theres only so much you can do blitzing all the time. If you don't have a quality pass rusher that can help 4 man rushes, youll get exposed sooner or later, and thats happening to the Jets right now.

Time for Gholston to wake up.

It is never going to happen. I cannot believe so many people fell for Gholston when he came out. I'm not sure what you thought of him, I know I hated him and thought he was a Mike Mamula.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tatupu's season may not be done yet
Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
Going to a 4-3 may help, but as you have indicated, the Jets don't really have the pass rushers to get pressure with a four man rush. Harris and Pace would also be terrible in coverage as 4-3 OLBers. I think they're in trouble either way.
Wouldn't Harris play MIKE and Scott play WILL?

Harris would be fine as a 4-3 MIKE. He'd be a run thumper. Your pass rush would be awful, but NE makes it work, so I don't see why the Jets can't do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
It is never going to happen. I cannot believe so many people fell for Gholston when he came out. I'm not sure what you thought of him, I know I hated him and thought he was a Mike Mamula.
I was actually high on him. Granted, I didn't watch much tape on him, but I had no idea he'd be this lethargic on the field. The second I saw him on the field in the NFL, i was like uh oh...this guy is bad news.

But I liked him coming out, and I thought his motor issues were overblown from what i heard/read.

He seems to be dumb as an ox. The only hope the Jets can have is that he slowly gets it together. He has shown drastic improvement from last year, but thats not saying much. I think we need another offseason from him to really stamp him officially as a bust, bc the guy is improving after all. He's just not a 3-4 guy at all.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Jenkins is one of the few elite NTs in the league, there is just no way you can completely replace him.
Trade for Shaun Rogers... it's not like the Browns/Jets don't have a history of trading.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ooof, all this is some big injuries to these contenders. That Jets injury is huge, the Seahawks lost their defensive captain and the Bengals lost one player behind their defensive resurgence. It really sucks all around, that Odom injury is just tough to hear but it was always a large possibility with him. And Jenkins might be done done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
what if they go 4-3?

I think the Jets blitzes are starting to get picked up bc theres only so much you can do blitzing all the time. If you don't have a quality pass rusher that can help 4 man rushes, youll get exposed sooner or later, and thats happening to the Jets right now.

Time for Gholston to wake up.
If we go to a 4-3, I think it would look something like this.

DE- Gholston and Pace
DT- Ellis and Pouha or Douglas
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Bryan Thomas

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post

DE- Gholston and Pace
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Bryan Thomas
Do you think that Gholston can produce as a down lineman? Given the amount of trading, do you go after a replacement DT via trade or FA. Much better option then shifting your whole defensive scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYtitan View Post
Do you think that Gholston can produce as a down lineman? Given the amount of trading, do you go after a replacement DT via trade or FA. Much better option then shifting your whole defensive scheme
Imo, the only way Gholston is going to produce is as a down lineman. He just can't play LB in the 34. I think he can become a very good player playing DE in a 43.

I was taking a look at some possible Free Agent NT's and lets just say that I came away very unimpressed. I don't see anybody better than we already have in Pouha.

If we do switch to the 43 for the year we can definately upgrade Sione Pouha with guys like Dewayne Robertson, Marcus Tubbs and William Joseph just to name a few.

I doubt we do switch but it would be very interesting if we did.

Edit: The Jets just resigned NT Howard Green to take over for Jenkins. It looks like we are sticking with the 34.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 10-19-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

DE- Gholston and Pace
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Bryan Thomas
See I don't think so, since Ellis has struggled inside quite a bit. I'd say:

DE- Ellis and Thomas (Gholston as 3rd end, Pace with his hand down on passing downs)
DT- Pouha and Douglas (DeVito and Green rotating in, maybe move Ellis or Gholston inside on passing downs)
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Calvin Pace

Pace always struck me as more natural playing in space and covering guys than Thomas.

Kind of moot though as I'm sure we'll stick with the 3-4. Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up to help make up for losing Jenks, though I doubt it. I like Gholston with his hand down in the 3-4 more than standing up since he does a decent job taking up blockers, but he would be interesting in the 4-3. Still don't think he'd be that good and he'll never reach his potential, but at least he's borderline functional.

Last edited by derza222 : 10-19-2009 at 09:58 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 PM    (permalink
wordofi
Veteran

wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
meant to put "Seahawks LB Lofa..."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/19/jets...h-knee-injury/

Kris Jenkins out with a knee injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Lofa Tatupu out with a torn left pectoral muscle.
Time for Aaron Curry to step up and dominate.
wordofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jets now have ZERO starting caliber defensive linemen.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
See I don't think so, since Ellis has struggled inside quite a bit. I'd say:

DE- Ellis and Thomas (Gholston as 3rd end, Pace with his hand down on passing downs)
DT- Pouha and Douglas (DeVito and Green rotating in, maybe move Ellis or Gholston inside on passing downs)
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Calvin Pace

Pace always struck me as more natural playing in space and covering guys than Thomas.

Kind of moot though as I'm sure we'll stick with the 3-4. Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up to help make up for losing Jenks, though I doubt it. I like Gholston with his hand down in the 3-4 more than standing up since he does a decent job taking up blockers, but he would be interesting in the 4-3. Still don't think he'd be that good and he'll never reach his potential, but at least he's borderline functional.
The only reason why I would put Pace at DE is because the Bryan Thomas at DE experiment failed years ago. I do see your point about Ellis though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The only reason why I would put Pace at DE is because the Bryan Thomas at DE experiment failed years ago. I do see your point about Ellis though.
Again moot, but Pace failed at DE too, just in Arizona. Neither one of them was great with their hand down, but I think Pace is better at linebacker which is why I'd put him there. Either way though there's going to be trouble since neither had success in the 4-3, which is probably part of the reason Ryan wants to stick to the 3-4 even without a true nose.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote