Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
For Oakland I really believe we have alot of talent. The defense is as talented as most any other D's, sure we could use a SLB and a DT but they are good enough to win games. The offence is the problem. Russell is not our future QB, if we can get a vet QB, a RG and a RT we should be alright. Bush, Fargas and DMC are good RB's and our WR's are young.

Only way we make big changes to the coaching scheme is when Al is gone. We are finally blitzing more which is showing us that our D is good, but enough of the deep passing game
Oakland isn't among the horrible teams for a change this yr. They can get it done with that defense Ryan built. I've always been a big Kirk Morrison & Ndami Asomugha fan, they were smart to FP Asomugha.

Their offense on the other hand, ohhhh (facepalm) Well, they have to rebuild the o-line, & they have a Pro Bowl quality TE as a cornerstone. They have 3 RBs who, when healthy are as good as any in the AFC West not named Moreno, maybe better, & they need a new QB. Some better receivers (I have zero faith in Heyward-Bey), 2-3 OLs & a QB, they're 3 drafts away.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Firing Fisher isn't the #1 way for the Titans to rebound. He's not the reason for the losses. The losing has been caused by several minor problems, unfortunate circumstances, and outright bad luck, which has all combined into a snowball effect, fittingly culminating to pointbreak in a game played in a blizzard (Well, a blizzard compared to Tennessean standards! ;)).

If I had reign over the Titans, I'd put Fisher in charge of defensive play-calling. Chuck Cecil will remain DC in title, but by not having play-calling responsibilities, he can catch up to the role and also spend extra time on the secondary. Marcus Robertson took over the DB Coach position when Cecil was promoted, and the secondary now looks worse under Robertson. By having Cecil contribute as a position coach again, he'll be able to coach up the rookies who've been thrusted into starting roles and also help bridge the gap between his intentions as a DC and the roles and responsibilities that the Safeties will have.

Early in his career, Jim Schwartz fielded terrible defenses. Titans fans hated Statistical Jim, and didn't like his conservative scheme for a defense that lacked talent. In 2006, the Titans DEF was the worst in the NFL, although it greatly improved toward the end of the season when Haynesworth returned from suspension. Patience paid off with Schwartz, so perhaps the same will hold true for Cecil.

As for the QB situation, Kerry Collins should get the Jacksonville game to prove whether or not it's in the team's best interest to start Vince Young for the rest of the season. It's imperative to make a decision on the QB of the future before the Draft. If VY shows he's ready, then pass on a 1st RD QB and take the pass-rusher. If VY doesn't show enough, then it's time to move on and invest that early 1st RD pick on a franchise QB. BBD was right when he doubted the Titans because the inferior QB play. The Titans will never win the Super Bowl without a franchise QB who can lead the team to victory. VY has said that he'll restructure his deal to stay in Tennessee, but I hope he doesn't have to by returning to the player we all know he can be.

The team is also set to lose several starters/contributing players - LenDale White, Kevin Mawae*, Eugene Amano, Kyle Vanden Bosch*, Tony Brown, Jevon Kearse*, Keith Bulluck*, Stephen Tulloch, and Nick Harper* (*Signifies a player over the age of 30 years old; Players in italics would be RFA's in CBA isn't extended). If it's possible to tender LenWhale or Brown, and trade them for picks, then that may be a wise decision since a big draft class is needed to help fill in the roster after losing so many guys. Moves in FA would also take place, but I expect mostly low-key signings - although, I wouldn't be surprised if the team goes after a single position and pays at or above market value for him, preferrably CB or LB. They'll have an early 1st RD'er, an early 3rd RD'er, and a 3rd RD compensatory pick for losing Haynesworth that they'll be able to use to fill needs through the Draft.

I think things can be turned around fairly quickly, thanks to the OL and young, marquee players like Chris Johnson, Cortland Finnegan, Michael Griffin, Jason Jones, and Kenny Britt if he continues to get better. If Fisher does go, the next HC certainly doesn't have an empty cupboard.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 10-26-2009 at 05:12 PM.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:16 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the Chiefs:

On offense, we need to ditch LJ completely and rebuild that offensive line. Cassel could use another weapon and we need to get a RB here who can carry the workload and isn't an asshat.

On defense, we need a pass rushing OLB opposite Tamba Hali and we are in huge need of a playmaking safety. NT is a trouble spot now that we traded away Tank Tyler, but no one from this draft would make the impact that a safety or OLB would. Eric Berry please.

I'd also like to see us hire an Offensive Coordinator rather than let Haley call his own plays. That was one of the biggest mistakes this year for this team. Not necessarily the firing of Chan Gailey but the decision to call his own plays.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 10-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good WR, good QB, more depth on defense. actually to fix the browns, you probably need a new owner, gm, coach, and city.....worked last time. cleveland is cursed.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Whisenhunt approach:

Bring in hard-nosed, veteran coaches, to help establish a winning atmosphere(Grimm, Haley, Davis, Austin, Aiken, Miller).

Figure out your core and build around it(Wilson, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Warner, Dansby, Dockett).

Don't skip in scouting, late round steals can become cheap starters(Breaston - 5th, Ben Patrick - 7th, Kenny Iwebema - 4th, Tim Hightower - 5th, LaRod Stephens-Howling - 7th).

Rookies must contribute on special teams, I don't know how many times this year & last that a rookie of ours has made a huge tackle or opened up a big hole for a return.

Last edited by fenikz : 10-26-2009 at 07:01 PM.
fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You said "scouting" in relation to the Cardinals. That's funny.

More like, "See which players the internet message boards like the most, and take the most-hyped one at each pick." I really don't think they have anything that would resemble a professional sports franchise scouting department.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was the Dennis Green approach, Rod Graves is a better drafter.

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cleveland Browns.

1.) Fire Mangini, Kolkinis, DABOLL - If I am rebuilding this team as the owner I am going to go out and pay someone who has been successful, won playoff games, and held a franchise up for 5+ years. I wold look in the direction of Cowher first but if he is not up for it there are plenty of other coaches that would have more respect in the locker room and do a better job managing personnel than Mangini does. The Browns could still have Kellen Winslow Braylon Edwards and drafted Michael Crabtree. I don't really care who you have at QB in that case, if they are somewhat decent you are going to have a productive offense.

2.) Build around the QB, not through it. The Browns have tried the approach of getting a young qb and bringing him in and playing him three or four different times now (Couch, Frye, Anderson, Quinn.) The problem is only one of those guys ever had anything around him to be productive (Anderson in 2007). When you look at the successful young QB in the league lately they have had a great supporting cast around them. Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, Ryan, Flacco ETC. The Browns need to get a stud running back and a right side of the line, this will help a young QB and open up the passing game.

3.) Start over on defense - Brandon Mcdonald, David Bowens, Kenyon Coleman, and Eric Barton are examples of situational players. McDonald would be cut today if I were the coach, he has no tackling skills and plays with a permanent 5 yard cushion, one of the worst defensive backs I have ever seen.

4.) Start by stacking one side of the ball - I believe it is beneficial to load up on one side of the ball and try to build the other side up but not have as much attention on it as the other side. This allows you to establish an identity and then focus future draft picks to build up the other side while using free agency to fill voids that are caused by retirements/injuries/free agency.

5.) Get a veteran receiver that is actually good - The Browns are relying on two rookies (one who isn't ready yet and one who drops half the balls thrown to him.) and a couple of lousy veteran receivers. They need to get someone their QB can throw the ball to. No matter who is there at QB right now it does not matter, the receivers don't get open and when they do they don't catch the ball.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While the Raiders and Redskins have equally awful owners as the Bengals do, somehow our owner not trying as hard works better.

Seriously, you have to give Snyder SOME credit... The guy tries as hard as anyone, just a shame he has no idea what he is doing. He's like the guy in your fantasy football league that has twice as many moves made as anyone else yet he's in 2nd to last place... Behind 4 guys who haven't checked their team since the draft.

I have no idea what would fix the Browns.

I actually like where the Lions are going. The Rams are just in a massive transition period.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
I'd welcome Savage to Sanu in 2 years
no! they're staying all 4 years here so maybe 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Browns owner Lerner needs to look at what the Dolphins and Parcells did. Forget the record- the Browns are the least competitive team in the league-it honestly looks as though Gini's already lost the team as they are getting worse week to week. If this years draft is any indication stock piling picks is not going to do it. Cam failed so miserably in his first year with the Dolphins he was out-same needs to go for Mngini-but especially because there are some experienced winning coaches out there who want to coach-1.Shanahan and likely 2.Fisher or even 3.Gruden. Even if Cowher wants to coach I don't think it would be in Cleveland for this owner.

Raiders need to get Russell a good LT and some decent protection to really see what he is. He's not a natural and looks shook but he's not had good players around him to help him out. Striking out on a good vet WR in Walker and not having any pass protectors has set his development back. If 3 pro bowlers or near that are found at LT, WR and DE I think Oak could see 10w and playoffs. Jeff Fisher could make that happen.

Spag just needs pass rushers and a mobile QB.

Bucs need a run game and a good LT for Freeman next year. And start getting a starting caliber front six around Ruud.

Panthers simply need to fire who's ever been sticking with Delhomme. Vick could have made Carolina a threat.

Skins poor Oline is getting Zorn fired. Maby tonight. Eagles dancing on the sideline -jus wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 10-26-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the Chiefs. I should stop being the Chiefs fan so that they can win more than 5 games.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
What's the advice here? lol
To continue starting Delhomme, and then next season, start Matt Moore or someone they take in round 2.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let Mangini do what he wants.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
That was the Dennis Green approach, Rod Graves is a better drafter.
He took over in 2002 and they've been drafting that way (still does) since at least 2003. Can't really tell from the 2002 draft because my memory of it is blurry, and all those picks were busts.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sign Drew Brees in free agency. Don't let the shoulder injury scare you.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sign free agent Chad Pennington draft an OT maybe Trent Williams who could be a great RT, Mario Henderson has really impressed over the past couple weeks at LT, Raiders need to fix the right side of the O-line. We will probably have to keep Cable because know else will coach the team but its no big deal he just needs to hire a real OC.

- Sign free agent Chad Pennington
- Draft O-line, most likely Trent Williams
- Draft Tony Pike in the 2nd if he is still on the board.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
He took over in 2002 and they've been drafting that way (still does) since at least 2003. Can't really tell from the 2002 draft because my memory of it is blurry, and all those picks were busts.
The drafts since then have actually been decent.

The real reason for the Cards turnaround was moving to University of Pheonix Stadium. The added revenue meant the Bidwells were more willing to spend some of their cash.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote