Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.
Default Alex Smith named 49ers starting QB

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/26/sing...l-as-49ers-qb/

He was impressive when he came in this week. He will have his first start in about a year and it will be against Peyton Manning and the Colts. I actually think this is good timing because everyone expects him to lose this game, but as long as he doesn't stink it up he'll get a mulligan.

Interestingly enough, the first start of Smith's career was against Peyton and the colts. Alex threw 5-6 picks that day....Is he a new man? Stay tuned to find out...
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For his sake i hope it works out. He's always been a hard worker and a class act.

Let's see if he can salvage his career under Samarai Mike.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Auditioning for another team at this point, but still good to see. With a host of quarterbacks coming out in 2010 I would hope the 9ers sake that he doesn't do TOO well.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have the utmost respect for Alex Smith. He was thrust into a really ****** situation down in San Fran and the kid has not said one word about being benched. And throughout all the talk of bust, the critiques, he has never said a word, he just shows up and does his best. Some players could stand to learn alot from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a cerebral QB and this type when combined with a boatload of talent usually does work out even if it does take a few years to adjust to the pro game, which is understandable for him. His work ethic and character is top notch as mentioned and he has the weapons to be successful now that Crabtree is there, while both Davis and Morgan have progressed substantially from last season. It's just a matter of time before he settles down as a very good QB in this league. My only concern would be the play of his OL, although I'm guessing they can't be nearly as bad as they were earlier in the year.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I have the utmost respect for Alex Smith. He was thrust into a really ****** situation down in San Fran and the kid has not said one word about being benched. And throughout all the talk of bust, the critiques, he has never said a word, he just shows up and does his best. Some players could stand to learn alot from him.
Yeah like blocking skills.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im glad he is getting another shot. I thought he was getting shafted by Nolan and it really blew his entire season. I still remember him leading great great games against the Seahawks and the Broncos in his second year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys shoud have heard all the 9er fans at my school. "Alex Smith is hella good, with Crabtree we will be playoff bound". Then I saw ya your defense isnt so good though

My Raiders Mock

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Yeah, I like Smith's whole attitude during his time spent in SF. I'd like to think his personal ordeal has made him a mentally tougher QB. He still has the tools to play at a pro bowl level, it's all about whether or not he's figured out the pro game from an analytical standpoint. If he ever learns to apply his intellect to the way the game is played on the field, look out!!!

I hope Smith plays well enough that SF feels comfortable going with him for the next several years. Hard not to root for the guy, even though I'm a big Terp fan and would like to see Shaun Hill keep the gig.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
You guys shoud have heard all the 9er fans at my school. "Alex Smith is hella good, with Crabtree we will be playoff bound". Then I saw ya your defense isnt so good though
do they then bring up the raiders?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he can be successful. He's shown a lot to me last week coming out and almost leading a comeback. Vernon Davis is the real beneficiary here.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm feeling it this time around...I still do think he'll be successful.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Auditioning for another team at this point, but still good to see. With a host of quarterbacks coming out in 2010 I would hope the 9ers sake that he doesn't do TOO well.
Not really. He's got over half the seaon + playoffs to show what he can do. This isn't like San Diego where they had Drew Brees playing great, but had already drafted Rivers... This is as if San Diego put off drafting a QB for one more year... Brees could have been throwing to Larry Fitzgerald (Crabtree). Think about that **** for a second...
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with the consensus. Wish nothing the best for Alex. I want to see what he can do with Singeltary behind him.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While Smith's career was sketchy due to a lot of injuries and bad coaching, I still want to see a lot more before I jump back on his bandwagon. The potential was always there now let's see if he can put it together for a long stretch.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I LOVED him coming out. He just seemed to have "it" in college, combined with the physical tools and intelligence I thought he would be absolutely money. There were signs of life when Norv Turner was there in 2006. Even interception to touchdown ratio, decent completion percentage, problem was the ****** team. Looked really good at spots though. I don't think his career is dead and this could be his time. I certainly hope it is. The entire sentiment about him being a class act is right. Never complained throughout the entire thing, never asked for more than he's earned. He deserves to have it work out for him this time around.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never was a fan, and thought it was a bad pick, but I hope it works out for San Fran, because I really like the organization, one of my favorite teams growing up, and I really like a lot of the players on the team now.

If they can have their QB in Smith, and still have that high draft pick from Carolina, they can load up really quickly.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are far more optimistic than we Niner fans.

He went up against a defense that has a weak secondary, a 21-point spot, and gameplanned against a totally different QB.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can't be worse than Shaun Hill. He had a decent year with Antonio Bryant, then he and Nolan butted heads, now he has a lot of weapons. I don't expect great, but I think he can play.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish Tavaris Jackson could be as awesome as Alex Smith.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You guys are far more optimistic than we Niner fans.

He went up against a defense that has a weak secondary, a 21-point spot, and gameplanned against a totally different QB.
Playing devil's advocate, you could also say he didn't practice with the ones since August, hadn't played meaningful football in almost 2 years, and put life into a team that was bottom 5 in almost all major passing categories. Also, in the past it didn't really matter if Smith faced a good or bad defense, he always struggled save for a select few games.

I'm leaning towards the game against Houston probably being a fluke, but i just want Smith to become the QB we drafted him to be. It would be nice to have the position solidified.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 10-26-2009 at 11:19 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he does well, leaves SF and comes to Carolina, I've always had a man boner for Smith and I hope he does well.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It all depends on if he's improved his footwork. That was the biggest flaw in his game. It made him very inaccurate. If he's got his footwork up to an NFL level, then I think he can be successful. If not, then he'll be the old Alex.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I hope he does well, leaves SF and comes to Carolina, I've always had a man boner for Smith and I hope he does well.
he's signed through 2010-2011, so I dont see that happening.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

In the old days it would take 4-5 years to develop a QB. But with economics now and fans impatience people want results now. Hopefully for Smith he finally comes around and becomes a player, and maybe by default takes Vernon Davis along with him.