Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Mozgov makes you wonder, do we need that backup center or do we just gamble on Moz developing more in the offseason?

That's why I hope we really increase his minutes this year. So we get a better idea of what to expect next year from him. He needs reps.

I really like the matchup vs the Bulls. I think we should beat them if we play them in the playoffs.

To me, this year will be a success if we win the 1st round. Everything after that is gravy. But I do want to win a playoff series.
if we're just talking about a back up center I would take a risk on him for sure. Considering there are almost zero good back up centers in the NBA (much less any good starting centers) I think he's worth the risk. He's got the skill set. He just needs time to adjust to the NBA and to develop.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ris&id=6115065

I agree with this article. As much as I rather have Chris Paul/Derron Williams, 2 years from now is a long time to wait and there's no guarantee it happens even then.

And a player like Melo doesn't come up on the trade market every year. If the Knicks miss out on Melo bc they thought giving up Fields and/or Gallo in a package wasn't worth it, then that's just further proof that this organization is poorly run.

You can always replace role players with other role players. But you can't replace stars with a bunch of good role players and think it's equal. Look at the Celtics. When they got Garnett and Allen, they basically gave away their whole team to get em.

And what happened? They just replaced those role players with other role players. It's not the end of the world if you lose a Landry Fields in a package for a superstar player. Role players are a dime a dozen.

All I'm saying is, if we miss out on Melo to a different team, I'm going to be pissed.

Isn't it obvious we need another star? Every time we play a good team they mop the floor with us. We need another star player to be legit.

Add Melo, bring in a Center in FA and a backup PG, and we'll be contenders.

Until then, we'll still be pretenders. This team is the 6th seed. While I love the progress we made, being the 6th seed isn't THAT great. It's the friggin 6th seed.

Stat needs help. I hope the Knicks stop dicking around and get Melo already. Enough is enough.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In a positive note, I LOVE the Knicks throwback jerseys. They should wear those all the time.

Keep the new white jerseys, and bring back the old blue throwbacks.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look it'd suck to miss out on Melo, but Melo, Amar'e, Felton and one of Mozgov/Gallo/Fields/Chandler isn't going to win us any rings if we get rid of all of our draft picks since there's more "super-teams" via-ing for those ring chasing role players than there used to be when the Celtics won their ring. I want Melo badly, but we're in a really strong position here which is why I'd hate to see Donnie isiah away our chance at a title just to get too watch Amar'e/Melo/Felton lose int he second round of the playoffs year after year until Amar'e knee finally explodes.

If we can get Melo at just the cost of Chandler, AR and our first rounder in the summer that leaves us with enough young talent to actually pull off a trade/S&T for Paul or Deron to actually become contenders. That's why it's important that we don't crack and give up our future to Denver unless we absolutely have to, which would mean another team with a viable offer that could get Melo to sign with them getting in our way, which I just still don't buy the Lakers or Nets being, Lakers because Bynum's too iffy and expensive without getting them under the LuxTax and the Nets because he won't sign there. It's greedy on my part but we're in a position to be greedy and demand an unfair price, that's the nature of the beast, it's our job to make good on that leverage which I think Donnie's doing which is why I'm one of the knicks fans who's not really all that concerned with all of this Melo talk. I just want the deadline to come and pass so this can all be over and our team can focus again on getting their heads out of their collective asses, I'm look at you AmaRay and Wilson.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ris&id=6115065

I agree with this article. As much as I rather have Chris Paul/Derron Williams, 2 years from now is a long time to wait and there's no guarantee it happens even then.

And a player like Melo doesn't come up on the trade market every year. If the Knicks miss out on Melo bc they thought giving up Fields and/or Gallo in a package wasn't worth it, then that's just further proof that this organization is poorly run.

You can always replace role players with other role players. But you can't replace stars with a bunch of good role players and think it's equal. Look at the Celtics. When they got Garnett and Allen, they basically gave away their whole team to get em.

And what happened? They just replaced those role players with other role players. It's not the end of the world if you lose a Landry Fields in a package for a superstar player. Role players are a dime a dozen.

All I'm saying is, if we miss out on Melo to a different team, I'm going to be pissed.

Isn't it obvious we need another star? Every time we play a good team they mop the floor with us. We need another star player to be legit.

Add Melo, bring in a Center in FA and a backup PG, and we'll be contenders.

Until then, we'll still be pretenders. This team is the 6th seed. While I love the progress we made, being the 6th seed isn't THAT great. It's the friggin 6th seed.

Stat needs help. I hope the Knicks stop dicking around and get Melo already. Enough is enough.
I disagree. I'd rather have Williams or Paul times infinity over Melo. They are so much better as players and not only can they score at a high level, but they make their entire team superior. I mean look what they've done with a real lack of talent for several years now. Imagine if you stick them on a team with some really talented players like Amar'e, Chandler, Gallo, Fields, etc. I can only imagine the numbers they'd put up in D'Antoni's system, too.

If we're going to trade Wilson, Gallo, or Fields (or in some combination) I'd much rather it be for one of those two PGs. I think we all jumped on the Felton bandwagon too early. He's not a great player. Personally, I like him more as a back up, but with his contract it doesn't make sense to keep him as one.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love CP or Deron but I agree that if we can get Melo on the cheap now we need to pull the trigger. Worst comes to worst we then use Melo in a trade for Deron or Paul, although my dream scenario would be gettin Ricky Rubio to backup Felts for a little while before ultimately letting felton fall in the Barbosa role as a scoring point off of the bench. But that's just a pipedream...

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What makes you think we are title contenders with the current nucleus? We're not even close.

Like I said, losing role players isn't the end of the world, you can always find new role players.

I'm all for getting him for cheap. My main point is if the current deal is not good enough and all that's missing is giving up a Landry Fields in the package to make it happen, then ****, you make it happen.

Landry Fields should in no way be a deal breaker for a Melo trade. Nor should Gallo quite honestly. His contract is up in 2 years I believe, and if we get Melo + a credible center, we probably won't be able to afford Gallo long term anyway.

I like our complimentary players, but none of them are that good to me that they can't be included in any trade talk. If they were that good, we'd have a better record. We're falling for the trap of overrated our own players. No one is head over heels in love with anyone from our roster. League GMs have made that pretty clear.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I disagree. I'd rather have Williams or Paul times infinity over Melo. They are so much better as players and not only can they score at a high level, but they make their entire team superior. I mean look what they've done with a real lack of talent for several years now. Imagine if you stick them on a team with some really talented players like Amar'e, Chandler, Gallo, Fields, etc. I can only imagine the numbers they'd put up in D'Antoni's system, too.

If we're going to trade Wilson, Gallo, or Fields (or in some combination) I'd much rather it be for one of those two PGs. I think we all jumped on the Felton bandwagon too early. He's not a great player. Personally, I like him more as a back up, but with his contract it doesn't make sense to keep him as one.
I absolutely agree with you. I rather have CP3 or Derron over Melo.

Here's the thing though, we have NO idea if they will even want to come here. Whereas Melo, we know we can get him.

I don't want us to wait 2 years, only to get the same song and dance that Lebron gave us. And Amare is already rocking the knee pads, do we really want to waste 2 more years of his prime waiting for CP3 and Derron?

That's why I want Melo now. 2 years is a long long time.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
What makes you think we are title contenders with the current nucleus? We're not even close.

Like I said, losing role players isn't the end of the world, you can always find new role players.

I'm all for getting him for cheap. My main point is if the current deal is not good enough and all that's missing is giving up a Landry Fields in the package to make it happen, then ****, you make it happen.

Landry Fields should in no way be a deal breaker for a Melo trade. Nor should Gallo quite honestly. His contract is up in 2 years I believe, and if we get Melo + a credible center, we probably won't be able to afford Gallo long term anyway.

I like our complimentary players, but none of them are that good to me that they can't be included in any trade talk. If they were that good, we'd have a better record. We're falling for the trap of overrated our own players. No one is head over heels in love with anyone from our roster. League GMs have made that pretty clear.
Based on what exactly? That sounds like total speculation. Every move Donnie Walsh has made so far has pretty much been gold. I trust him to make the right moves. He's said all along his plan is to bring in a couple stars. I highly doubt he'd let anyone like Chandler, Gallo or Fields come between getting Melo.

Even as much as some of us may dislike D'Antoni, Walsh bringing him in as the coach was brilliant. His system allowed us to ship off guys that may not have had value otherwise. Also likely had a huge hand in getting Amar'e here, even with their speculated disagreement between each other. Even if we fire him at some point it was the correct move.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I just want Melo :(
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Here's the thing though, why should we give up one of those two unless we have to? Sure if it was Melo and no Fields or no-Melo and Fields I'm going with the former, but if we can wait til the summer and get Melo while only losing Chandler and AR, then why would we give up CHandler, AR, Fields and Gallo? It's not I think Gallo >>>>> Melo, or that Fields >>>> Melo, it's simple that Gallo, Fields and Melo >>>>>>>>>> Melo.

Plus our record's pretty good for a team that started the year with 10 new faces, the 4th youngest roster in the league, a first team franchise player and a first time co-captain. Mix in some injuries and our record is pretty damn awesome since we're the only other team other than OKC that has an average age under 26 but is still on pace for the playoffs. Sure our guys aren't super stars yet, but they're still super ******* young so streaky play is to be expected, especially given how much we really on some of those super young players. Sure a lot of guys in the NBA never get better, but those guys are usually busts, the guys we have have shown they'll put in work to get better, even AR was able to not be completely useless in that Detroit game a week or two ago.

If we can get Melo now we should do it, but my dream scenario is letting this young team make a playoff run together this year and over the summer bringing in Melo to a more experienced team so that next year we can make a deep playoff run.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Rosebud : 02-13-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

trade for CP3, then sign Melo <3 my dream

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

That would be my dream too.

I'm really hoping Mozgov develops more. He has a lot of work to do, but he's improving and the guy seems to be a high effort guy. You would like to think he's going to improve with time.

Gallo is in a slump. His shot is just off lately. He'll get it back, it happens. Douglass had no assists yesterday. We need a backup PG so bad.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I think it would be wise for the Knicks to just rest Amare for a couple of games. He needs some rest, that body can't take that much punishment.

We're locked into the 6th seed anyway. I can't imagine us moving up or down by the end of the season. We just have to maintain, and focus on getting guys fresh for the playoffs.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think it would be wise for the Knicks to just rest Amare for a couple of games. He needs some rest, that body can't take that much punishment.

We're locked into the 6th seed anyway. I can't imagine us moving up or down by the end of the season. We just have to maintain, and focus on getting guys fresh for the playoffs.
I dunno, I think we just need to get to the trade deadline so that we can either start adapting to Melo or all of our youngsters can stop worrying about getting traded for Melo. Once we're passed the deadline I expect us to go on a bit of a roll once everyone's realized their still here. I kinda think we should try and keep Amar'e involved until we start that run and then give him some games off. Although I also think what you're saying makes sense, just use the all star break as an extended recovery period for stat in preparation of making that run.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

A few days old BBD but I just wanted to comment, as seen by Boston and the Heat (this year) those veteran role players will flock to these star studded teams as well.

And they will play for the minimum for one last chance.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
A few days old BBD but I just wanted to comment, as seen by Boston and the Heat (this year) those veteran role players will flock to these star studded teams as well.

And they will play for the minimum for one last chance.
That's why I'm not going to lose any sleep if we give up more role players than we'd like for Melo.

Seriously. Who cares. We're gonna miss out on Melo bc we like Gallo and Fields? Come on.

Of course, it's been stated plenty of times that we just need to stay firm and play cool and we'll probably get him for cheap, but if we lose out on him completely bc we were firm about keeping Gallo and Fields I will be very disappointed.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Eh, the only real valuable piece that got traded in that Boston deal was Al Jefferson, and even he has some major flaws as a player.

The rest were all pretty much all scrubs/cap relief and not really comparable to the Knicks trading away Fields/Gallo/Chandler.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Eh, the only real valuable piece that got traded in that Boston deal was Al Jefferson, and even he has some major flaws as a player.

The rest were all pretty much all scrubs/cap relief and not really comparable to the Knicks trading away Fields/Gallo/Chandler.
Yeah, the next best player they traded where the pick that netted Jeff Green and Gerald Green, that's like us giving up AR and Bill Walker on top of Wilson Chandler (AlJeff) for both Allen and Garnett.

Plus on the ring chasers point there's more superteams now than when Boston came together. We'll be competing with Boston, Miami, Orlando, Dallas, LAL and OKC for those ring chasers.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I think we're overrating our own players. I love Landry Fields, every team needs a Landry Fields, but he's in all likelihood going to be nothing more than a very good role player.

Gallo is a solid #3 option. Good player, never will be a great one. Again, it's not the end of the world if you lose a guy like that in a package for a great player.

Role players are role players. They're easy to replace.

Having that said, I'm feeling confident we get a trade done after the all star break, and I think Donnie is going to get a good deal done. I don't think we lose all our pieces for Melo.

We may give up 1 extra piece just to get it done, but let's say that piece is Fields for example, do any of us really care if we lose him along with Chandler plus the cap relief and Randolph to get Melo?

Bc I sure as hell don't. And I love Fields too. He's probably my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Stat.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
I think we're overrating our own players. I love Landry Fields, every team needs a Landry Fields, but he's in all likelihood going to be nothing more than a very good role player.

Gallo is a solid #3 option. Good player, never will be a great one. Again, it's not the end of the world if you lose a guy like that in a package for a great player.

Role players are role players. They're easy to replace.

Having that said, I'm feeling confident we get a trade done after the all star break, and I think Donnie is going to get a good deal done. I don't think we lose all our pieces for Melo.

We may give up 1 extra piece just to get it done, but let's say that piece is Fields for example, do any of us really care if we lose him along with Chandler plus the cap relief and Randolph to get Melo?

Bc I sure as hell don't. And I love Fields too. He's probably my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Stat.
I think Gallo can be a great #3 option. The way he shoots at the FT line, his ability to pass off the dribble, and his outside shooting ability is the perfect compliment to two really good players.

Supposedly the Nuggets want a TON for Melo. Gallo, Felton, Fields, and possibly Chandler too for Melo and Billups. I don't care what Melo brings to the table. He's not worth giving up all our young pieces. If the Nuggets are going to be pricks and demand the house I say we take our chances in the off-season. If it doesn't work out lets go hard after CP3 or Deron Williams instead.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

There's no way they get all of that. This is a classic case of posturing on both sides. We're lowballing the hell out of them, they're demanding a king's ransom, and realistically, something in the middle gets agreed upon.

Probably skewed more towards our offer than their demands.

I'm intrigued by the thought of getting Billups and Melo if we put Felton in part of the package.

What's your thoughts on that? I don't know how I feel about it. Billups is pretty good, but he's getting old.

He's Mr. Big Shot though, which will be huge in the playoffs when teams crash Stat and Melo in crunch time.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Here's a thought. What if we throw in Felton and Gallo in the trade, to get back Melo, Billups, and Nene?

Then our lineup would be:

C: Nene
PF: Stat
SF: Melo
SG: Fields
PG: Billups

Thoughts? Our 3 scoring threats would revolve around Melo, Stat and Billups. Nene and Fields would be the role players who do the dirty work.

They get Chandler, Gallo, cap relief, we'll throw in Mozgov for shits and giggles.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Here's a thought. What if we throw in Felton and Gallo in the trade, to get back Melo, Billups, and Nene?

Then our lineup would be:

C: Nene
PF: Stat
SF: Melo
SG: Fields
PG: Billups

Thoughts? Our 3 scoring threats would revolve around Melo, Stat and Billups. Nene and Fields would be the role players who do the dirty work.

They get Chandler, Gallo, cap relief, we'll throw in Mozgov for shits and giggles.
I doubt they are going to trade Melo and Nene let alone trade them both in the same deal.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah, wishful thinking on my part.