Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why you'd trade some of the pieces that are really helping the team when you can just get Carmelo for nothing in the offseason. Realistically the Knicks aren't going to win the NBA Championship this year so it would be a waste to get rid of 2 young players that would be very good supporting players next year. If Carmelo is serious and he only wants to play for the Knicks then you're better off just waiting to sign him in the offseason.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I don't know why you'd trade some of the pieces that are really helping the team when you can just get Carmelo for nothing in the offseason. Realistically the Knicks aren't going to win the NBA Championship this year so it would be a waste to get rid of 2 young players that would be very good supporting players next year. If Carmelo is serious and he only wants to play for the Knicks then you're better off just waiting to sign him in the offseason.
Here's my concern: the extension money.

Melo wants to be a Knick, but he also wants that extension money. Who's to say that he doesn't change his mind in the future and chooses the money over the Knicks? It's a valid concern. Especially since if he waits he could potentially lose out on a ton of money signing with the Knicks as a FA vs signing the extension then getting traded.

So if you think about it, it's a big gamble to not trade for him. I think ultimately, money talks, and at the end of the day he'll choose that money over playing for the Knicks.

In his mind, he feels he can have both if he forces his hand, but what if that strategy fails on him? What does he choose, the money or the Knicks? I'm inclined to believe that he chooses the money.

So I rather guarantee him on the Knicks by trading for him. Plus, the guys we'd trade are commodities that are replaceable. Gallo's contract is coming up in a year I believe and we won't resign him if we get Melo anyway.

And guys like Fields, they're great role players, but you can find role players elsewhere. You don't pass on an opportunity to get a stud for the sake of holding onto those 2 guys.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying you pass up on him for those 2 but if you could wait then that would be the better way to do it. If Walsh really think Melo would take the money over signing with the Knicks then by all means you have to make the trade but if not then you wait. It's going to be a gamble either way. It's going to be super exciting to watch Melo/Amare though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, as much as we suffered the past 10 years, hell the past 20 years...even before that...pretty much as long as Ive lived and remembered the Knicks, I say forget the gamble and just get him.

It's not worth waiting and potentially losing out on him for. Just get him. I think we can keep Fields and still get Melo bc the Nuggets are low on options right now.

This essentially would be a Gallo + 1st for Melo trade. Which would be a no brainer. We don't lose much to guarantee the guy in a Knick uniform. I say we make the trade to guarantee that it happens.

Obviously, like you said, if Donny knows for a fact that he'd sign with us anyway, then yeah sure, but if we don't know that, we need to make the trade to ensure that it happens.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

What's the difference in money than Melo can receive from the extension or signing with a new team in FA?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
What's the difference in money than Melo can receive from the extension or signing with a new team in FA?
We don't know bc the CBA situation in the NBA is actually much more messed up than the NFL, but it could potentially be as low as half the money. So from 65 million to perhaps 30 million.

Thats what i heard analysts speculate at least.

That's why I think we should trade for him. It's hard to pass up on 30 million just to play for a team you like. He'll change his mind and choose the money if we can't work out a trade.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Well if that's the case and it really is $30 million then yeah they better make sure they trade for him. Nobody is giving up that much money to play for a certain team.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Well if that's the case and it really is $30 million then yeah they better make sure they trade for him. Nobody is giving up that much money to play for a certain team.
Especially when the Nets already have an offer on the table that is 10X better than any offer the Knicks can put out, that would allow Melo to sign the extension and get traded and wind up playing in NY anyway once they move to Brooklyn.

I don't think the Knicks have as much leverage as people think. They have leverage sure, but it's not like Melo can't change his mind any time in the future.

That's why I say we should just get him now while we can, and worry about overspending later. Overspending on Melo is better than not getting him at all.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well if Melo is that worried about money we can just do a sign and trade with the Nuggets in the off-season and give up a first round pick or two so he can get his max contract,

Also, for as good as Melo is, he isn't on the superstar level of guys like LeBron/Wade/Paul/etc. He's damn close, but ultimately there are a lot of people who feel he isn't quite at their level because he's a very one dimensional superstar. He's a superb scorer, okay rebounder, not a good passer, and his defense isn't that great. Granted he might be the most talented scorer in the league because he can post up, hit 3's, hit mid-range jumpers, and get to the rim and hit FT's, but he does lack in some areas.

I think he fits perfectly for the Knicks because we need that from him, and it would mesh better than Miami's "big 3" because they all have roles and can play off the ball.

BBD, I think you're crazy if the Nuggets will just accept Gallo + a 1st. They would rather let him hit FA (like a lot of teams did this year) before giving up on the season and trading him away for just Gallo.

Right now I would just hold off on doing anything. It's too early in the season. I'd still take Chris Paul over Melo any day of the week. For as good as Felton has been, CP3 is a still a million times better than him.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
BBD, I think you're crazy if the Nuggets will just accept Gallo + a 1st. They would rather let him hit FA (like a lot of teams did this year) before giving up on the season and trading him away for just Gallo.
I'm guessing Curry's expiring contract would be appealing to Denver. I still don't know if that would be enough though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd hope we could talk them into talking AR, Chandler and a 1st. AR is just useless, I didn't like him coming out because he's mentally weak, but I gave him a break. He could still develop into a player, but if Denver's intrigued by his potential I'd much rather get rid of him than Fields, Gallo, Chandler or Mozzie. Hell I even value Dougie more, although there AR's potential starts to balance Dougie's lack of PG instincts. That trade probably isn't enough, although I'd hope with Chandler's increased productivity this year they might figure that securing his services plus AR and a first that that may prove to be enough for Melo around Mid season.

As for the CBA I've been hearing Melo would be looking at something like 15 a year over 3 which is 20 mil, but when you subtract the mil his wife would be bringing in that she isn't right now and the increase he'd get from having his face plastered across NYC.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 12-13-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no way a deal gets done without Gallo. You guys are proposing Pau Gasol like trades.

It probably going to take Gallo, Fields, Curry's expiring and a 1st. Even then the Nuggets get ripped.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
There is no way a deal gets done without Gallo. You guys are proposing Pau Gasol like trades.

It probably going to take Gallo, Fields, Curry's expiring and a 1st. Even then the Nuggets get ripped.
*shrug* They're going to get ripped in any of the proposals I've heard from any other team that would realistically go after him, especially if the CBA moves in a direction that would have a grandfather provision by the deadline, making it much safer for him to wait for a S&T over the summer. Plus Melo's an unstoppable scorer, a modern day Bernard King, for Denver to trade him and not get ripped would mean we'd have to trade Amare for him.

I don't think Gallo, Fields, Curry and a 1st is much less than the Chandler, AR, Curry and 1st that I proposed. Chandler's off contract but he's producing more and is a more athletic while Gallo's only got one more year on his contract. AR and Fields comes down to potential v polish, I think with Denver looking poised for a rebuild it's not that crazy to think they might opt for AR's potential.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

It will take Gallo, Curry's contract, a 1st, and possibly Fields at the very least.

I'm ok with moving Fields bc we'll just move Chandler to SG.

Our bench will go to the shitter this year, but we'll have enough money that we can retool that bench in the offseason. I'm not concerned about that.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It will take Gallo, Curry's contract, a 1st, and possibly Fields at the very least.

I'm ok with moving Fields bc we'll just move Chandler to SG.

Our bench will go to the shitter this year, but we'll have enough money that we can retool that bench in the offseason. I'm not concerned about that.
I'm not so sure about that, with Melo and Amare that's 45 mil, plus Felton's 7.5 takes us to 52.5 mil, add turiaf and we're right around the cap already with just 4 players, that's without re-signing Chandler which would leave us with the MLE if it isn't eliminated from the new CBA.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-13-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am worried about it. Look at the Heat. If they didn't get Mike Miller their bench would be complete trash (it is right now without him). I think if we keep our bench as is, in addition to signing one or two more solid bench players with Melo, we could have one of the deepest benches in the NBA.

The quality of your bench is one of the most important aspects to thriving in both the regular and postseason.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I am worried about it. Look at the Heat. If they didn't get Mike Miller their bench would be complete trash (it is right now without him). I think if we keep our bench as is, in addition to signing one or two more solid bench players with Melo, we could have one of the deepest benches in the NBA.

The quality of your bench is one of the most important aspects to thriving in both the regular and postseason.
Yep, the bench needs to bee deep and versatile, you can't just put together which ever vets are available and hope they can work well together. That's why I'm so loathe to give up Gallo and Fields, the two of them are so good at filling in around other players and stepping up when they have to that they're ideal guys to put around elite scorers like Amare and Melo.

BTW Rumors of Dougie, Walker + 2nd round pick for Mayo. I'd like it although it would really suck to have to give up dougie's ferocious D.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Yep, the bench needs to bee deep and versatile, you can't just put together which ever vets are available and hope they can work well together. That's why I'm so loathe to give up Gallo and Fields, the two of them are so good at filling in around other players and stepping up when they have to that they're ideal guys to put around elite scorers like Amare and Melo.

BTW Rumors of Dougie, Walker + 2nd round pick for Mayo. I'd like it although it would really suck to have to give up dougie's ferocious D.
The Grizzlies would be so dumb to take that but I would love them for eternity. Solves our two guard problem. As much as I love Chandler, I think he's a little big to be a 2.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The Grizzlies would be so dumb to take that but I would love them for eternity. Solves our two guard problem. As much as I love Chandler, I think he's a little big to be a 2.
Yeah, I can't believe they've soured on him enough to consider this, but Dougie can play some insanely good D and shoot...

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Yeah, I can't believe they've soured on him enough to consider this, but Dougie can play some insanely good D and shoot...
I think Mayo could do that too. The difference is I think Mayo is bigger and better in a lot of other areas also.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think Mayo could do that too. The difference is I think Mayo is bigger and better in a lot of other areas also.
I don't think Mayo will ever be as good as Dougie on D, but yeah, the other things he brings to the table make him clearly superior. I'd love him, would give us better shooting in the starting lineup and thus better spacing for AmaRay. Plus I think Mayo would really get the other guys involved when the ball passed through his hands and let Gallo drive more. Still not going to get excited about this because I just don't see this happening.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Im not a fan of Douglas. He chucks it up too much. I do like his D though.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Your bench is important for getting you into the playoffs. But come playoff time, your bench doesn't mean squat. It's all about your starters.

Honestly, I'll sacrifice some bench to improve the quality of my starting 5. So what if you wind up being the 6 seed instead of the 1 seed, once playoff time comes around it won't mean anything.

Basketball isn't like football. Homecourt isn't nearly as important, depth isn't nearly as important, and player development isn't the same. In the NBA, for the most part, you are what you are. 1% of the players in the NBA actually improve their game considerably over the years.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Your bench is important for getting you into the playoffs. But come playoff time, your bench doesn't mean squat. It's all about your starters.

Honestly, I'll sacrifice some bench to improve the quality of my starting 5. So what if you wind up being the 6 seed instead of the 1 seed, once playoff time comes around it won't mean anything.

Basketball isn't like football. Homecourt isn't nearly as important, depth isn't nearly as important, and player development isn't the same. In the NBA, for the most part, you are what you are. 1% of the players in the NBA actually improve their game considerably over the years.
I disagree completely. Homecourt means a TON in recent years. It's not uncommon for a series to basically be decided by homecourt. There will always be some upsets, but for the most part teams at home win. I'd argue homecourt means pretty much nothing in football outside of weather conditions.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I disagree completely. Homecourt means a TON in recent years. It's not uncommon for a series to basically be decided by homecourt. There will always be some upsets, but for the most part teams at home win. I'd argue homecourt means pretty much nothing in football outside of weather conditions.
When youre a big market team in basketball, you get the calls. The Knicks will get calls on the road vs the Hornets for example.

Remember Dick (Knick) Bevetta? The Knicks will get a ton of calls in the playoffs, don't worry about that.

Homefield in football actually effects strategy, whereas it doesn't do anything in basketball. You can't run your entire offense in football on the road bc of crowd noise, you have to use a silent count, it hinders your offense. Plus weather conditions. It's HUGE in football.

In basketball it doesn't mean jack. It doesn't effect your game, it doesn't effect your strategy. The calls tend to go to the homecourt team yes, but when you're the Lakers or Knicks or Bulls, you get the calls anyway. And star players get calls on the road or at home regardless. So its meaningless.

It's much easier stealing a road win in the playoffs and advancing with a higher quality starting unit than going into the playoffs with a good bench but less quality in the starting 5.

Phil Jackson is notorious for just playing his starters literally the entire game throughout the playoffs to combat any depth issues. Playoffs are all about your starters.