Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bottom line is we need to make a few more moves to be contenders, Mayo and Melo are perfect fits. If the Lakers weren't championship contenders until they got Pau and Ariza, and Boston until they got KG, Ray, PJ Brown, and Posey, then the same goes for us. We need to add to Felton, Amar'e and Chandler...Mayo and Melo are two perfect fits. Then we get a solid big and a backup PG and we can see what we have and what tweaks need to be made to take several runs at those 50+ win seasons and hopefully some championships.

What we have now is good enough for a 5th, MAYBE 4th seed in the East. Nice considering our recent past, but not nice enough going forward.

Get Melo and Amar'e on the same team (two dudes that legitimately command a double team) and throw Mayo out on the wing to shoot and play some D on the other end and we're beginning to say something.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 12-17-2010 at 02:59 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:10 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going tonight against Miami, so pumped!
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMeTiMe View Post
Going tonight against Miami, so pumped!
That atmosphere is going to be awesome tonight, no place like the Garden.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was at the game last night. The atmosphere was AMAZING. The first half was SO much fun, but once the game got out of hand the crowd didn't have the same energy.

But I had so much fun. Nothing like the Garden. Everytime Bosh went to the line we all chanted "overrated!" and every time Lebron got the ball we booed him, the energy was just fantastic.

I'm definitely going to be going back to the Garden again.

Disappointed that we lost of course, but at least the Garden is back.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I was at the game last night. The atmosphere was AMAZING. The first half was SO much fun, but once the game got out of hand the crowd didn't have the same energy.

But I had so much fun. Nothing like the Garden. Everytime Bosh went to the line we all chanted "overrated!" and every time Lebron got the ball we booed him, the energy was just fantastic.

I'm definitely going to be going back to the Garden again.

Disappointed that we lost of course, but at least the Garden is back.
Haha. Sad thing is Bosh outplayed Amar'e. I don't think Bosh is that overrated, really, he's just the third wheel on a team with two future Hall of Famers. He's not going to put up Amar'e numbers when he's got two other prolific scorers on his team.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:10 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Haha. Sad thing is Bosh outplayed Amar'e. I don't think Bosh is that overrated, really, he's just the third wheel on a team with two future Hall of Famers. He's not going to put up Amar'e numbers when he's got two other prolific scorers on his team.
Not really. If Amare hits his free throws he scores 30 last night. Plus they did a great job of taking Amare out of the game, they crashed on him every time and forced it out of his hands.

They're 1 of the few teams that has the length and athleticism to defend Stoudemire. Put Bosh in the interior, and crash up at the top of the key with Lebron. Other guys had to step up.

The Heat have the blueprint on beating the Knicks. Zone defense to take away Amare's ability to drive, force everyone to take jumpshots all game, and run the floor on em bc you get long rebounds.

For a team lacking consistent shooting ability, we take way too many jumpers and way too many 3s.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not really. If Amare hits his free throws he scores 30 last night. Plus they did a great job of taking Amare out of the game, they crashed on him every time and forced it out of his hands.

They're 1 of the few teams that has the length and athleticism to defend Stoudemire. Put Bosh in the interior, and crash up at the top of the key with Lebron. Other guys had to step up.

The Heat have the blueprint on beating the Knicks. Zone defense to take away Amare's ability to drive, force everyone to take jumpshots all game, and run the floor on em bc you get long rebounds.

For a team lacking consistent shooting ability, we take way too many jumpers and way too many 3s.
11-19 is much better than 11-28. Amar'e got outplayed by Bosh. Not that Bosh was defending him much, as it was Joel Anthony, but there's no way to argue who was better this game between the two.

Don't get me wrong though, I sure as hell wouldn't trade Amar'e for Bosh, but he did have a better game.

Also, BBD, you forgot to mention the player who has shown up the most in these two tough games (not named Amar'e) in Danilo Gallinari! He's been awesome. Whenever he drives to the hoop he's always making things happen for himself or teammates.

That baseline dunk he had against Boston was amazing, haha. He's kind of sneaky athletic in that way for a guy his size.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Build up that trade value Gallo!

Now if Gallo had the balls to drive to the hoop like that all game, every game, my opinion on him would be very different. But he doesn't, which is disappointing.

In a perfect world, he learns to drive to the hoop all the time, and we get Melo in the offseason, and we play

C Amare
PF Gallo
SF Anthony
SG Chandler
PG Felton

but realistically, that's not happening. Plus we'd probably have issues on defense in the front court.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forenci I'm glad you n brodeur have been talking up Gallo these past two games. Keeps me from having to homer it up, but I just can't not love the kid. Dude steps up when we do call upon him and is a super smart player who's great at helping out the team in other ways when we don't give him the ball with a chance to create, aka most of the time when AmaRay are clicking.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Build up that trade value Gallo!

Now if Gallo had the balls to drive to the hoop like that all game, every game, my opinion on him would be very different. But he doesn't, which is disappointing.

In a perfect world, he learns to drive to the hoop all the time, and we get Melo in the offseason, and we play

C Amare
PF Gallo
SF Anthony
SG Chandler
PG Felton

but realistically, that's not happening. Plus we'd probably have issues on defense in the front court.
Considering how Rosebud has mentioned on numerous occasions we pretty much tell Gallo to sit at the three point line in order to space the floor, I don't see why you can blame Gallo for it all the time. Every team needs spacing, and we lack a guy who can give it outside of Gallo.

Gallinari in Italy really wasn't a spot up shooter like we ask him to be. He posted quite a bit (as Rose has mentioned) as well as took it to the rim a ton.

I think if we just let him play his style of game he'll continue to get to the rim more. We also need to stop ignoring him. Sometimes Felton and Amar'e get too focused on the pick and roll and forget they've got players around them.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we trade Gallo in a Melo deal I'd watch more Nuggets games than I do now...when homerism goes to far?

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure if I like Amare playing C most of the time.

If I'm building a team, I want 2 stars that play SF and PF, a thug at C. A sharp shooter at SG and a pass first PG that can knock down a 3.

If we can get Melo, hopefully we can play Felton, Fields, Melo, Amare, Turiaf to start, sometimes subbing in Chandler at SF (if he doesn't go) for Turiaf and bumping everyone else up, against smaller lineups.

I think Fields would be better on the bench, but we really don't have a better option for SG right now and I do like his unselfish game.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The offense looks better than ever without Gallo....

We desperately need a backup PG. Amare and Felton are playing way too many minutes, if we don't give these guys some rest they're going to break down.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
The offense looks better than ever without Gallo....

We desperately need a backup PG. Amare and Felton are playing way too many minutes, if we don't give these guys some rest they're going to break down.
Haha, it's more about the Suns being crap than the offense being better without Gallo.

Felton could certainly use some rest, but he also needs to stop with the turnovers. It's going to become an issue if he doesn't ease up soon. Amar'e got a nice rest yesterday but Felton still played too many minutes considering it was a blow out.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Felton always plays too many minutes, bc we have no backup PG at all. Douglas isn't a PG. We desperately need another body back there.

We have 2 expiring contracts coming up don't we? We need to trade 1 for a backup PG.

If we have no chance of trading for Melo, then we need to trade our other expiring contract for a backup Center. Maybe package Gallo + expiring contract for a quality Center.

I know you guys love Gallo, but if we have to lose either Gallo or Chandler in some moves to improve the overall team, I choose moving Gallo. Chandler is just better than him, I rather keep Chandler.

Plus my thinking is Gallo would have higher trade value bc of his youth.

Mozgov is so horrible. He should never see the court.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I know in a perfect world we want to keep both, but realistically we can't. And I'm choosing Chandler over Gallo, it's that simple to me.

I know Chandler's contract is coming up sooner, but that won't change the fact that we probably won't be able to resign both of these guys to long term contracts moving forward.

So let's assume there's 2 scenarios:

1. We get Melo
2. We don't get Melo.

In scenario 2, you basically have to keep the better of the 2 guys, which is Chandler, and move your expiring contracts plus Gallo to fill out the rest of the team.

To do that, we'll need a backup PG and a quality defensive Center. That gives Felton his rest, plus now we can use Turiaf as a bench guy who can come in and play hard defense for 20 minutes a game and give us 6 fouls, which is probably his best role. The starting Center can play harder too bc we can always rotate him with Turiaf, and we'll always have a defensive presence in the middle that will allow Amare to do what he does, which is roam and block shots.

It greatly improves the overall unit. Sure, we lose a scorer on the court when we lose Gallo, but we gain so much more defensively. Plus, I think when we come out with Gallo, Felton, Amare, and Chandler, that's too many bodies who demand the ball at once. Once Gallo got hurt Chandler and Felton commanded more on offense and our offense actually looks better for it. I also think moving forward Fields will work on his game (primarily his jumpshot) and we won't miss a beat.

Now in the first scenario, where we get Melo, the whole scenario changes a little. We can give both Felton and Amare more rest by default bc we'll have a capable scorer who can take over games by himself so we won't need Amare and Felton on the floor all the time. And contrarily, Melo can get his rest bc we won't need him all the time with Felton and Amare on the court.

But our bench probably suffers in the process. But I don't mind that. Your bench is just important to get you into the playoffs. They get quality minutes in the regular season and keep your guys fresh. But come postseason, it's all about your starters.

I rather have a better starting 5 than have a better bench, so I'll take that trade off.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

It's really speculative at this point. I'd like to see how they keep playing from here on out with no Gallo. It's basically been two games.

Overall, I want to see how things go once we get deep into the season. If Felton continues to turn the ball over too much we may have to look at other options like Chris Paul. Not sure if we could get him, but it would certainly be worth looking into.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
It's really speculative at this point. I'd like to see how they keep playing from here on out with no Gallo. It's basically been two games.

Overall, I want to see how things go once we get deep into the season. If Felton continues to turn the ball over too much we may have to look at other options like Chris Paul. Not sure if we could get him, but it would certainly be worth looking into.
Paul scares me with that knee. I like Felton, I think he's good enough at PG, if we're going to go after another star, it's Melo or bust to me. I'm a HUGE Paul fan, but I'm just scared of that knee right now. And does he really improve our team THAT much? I'm not so sure anymore, Felton is playing like a top tier PG.

I honestly think we need Melo if we want to be considered legitimate Championship contenders. Without him, we'll always be pretenders until we draft a star to pair with Amare.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Paul scares me with that knee. I like Felton, I think he's good enough at PG, if we're going to go after another star, it's Melo or bust to me. I'm a HUGE Paul fan, but I'm just scared of that knee right now. And does he really improve our team THAT much? I'm not so sure anymore, Felton is playing like a top tier PG.

I honestly think we need Melo if we want to be considered legitimate Championship contenders. Without him, we'll always be pretenders until we draft a star to pair with Amare.
Paul is a million times better than Felton. It's really not even close. I agree about his health though. He may just need some more time to recover from it. Even without healthy knees he's still having an MVP type season. Or was for a good portion of the season.

As much as I like Melo, he does have some deficiencies as a player. He's very one dimensional, unlike a lot of the other superstars in the NBA. Granted, he does that one thing extremely well, but he scares me a little.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Paul is a million times better than Felton. It's really not even close. I agree about his health though. He may just need some more time to recover from it. Even without healthy knees he's still having an MVP type season. Or was for a good portion of the season.

As much as I like Melo, he does have some deficiencies as a player. He's very one dimensional, unlike a lot of the other superstars in the NBA. Granted, he does that one thing extremely well, but he scares me a little.
Oh, trust me, I know Paul is a million times better. But is a Paul/Amare duo enough to win a championship? I don't think so.

Now if we have Amare/Melo with Felton as the PG, I think that has a better chance.

Melo sucks on defense, but hell, let's be honest, we don't play defense anyway right now. And who knows, maybe playing in NY inspires him to get tougher. Amare looks much tougher now than he ever did in Phoenix. So maybe he gets a similar jump start.

I think he'll learn how to pass better in NY too. He has to, if he learns how to pass out of that post up, he'll be so deadly. It's not hard Melo, find open guy, throw to open guy. It's not a difficult concept.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh, trust me, I know Paul is a million times better. But is a Paul/Amare duo enough to win a championship? I don't think so.

Now if we have Amare/Melo with Felton as the PG, I think that has a better chance.

Melo sucks on defense, but hell, let's be honest, we don't play defense anyway right now. And who knows, maybe playing in NY inspires him to get tougher. Amare looks much tougher now than he ever did in Phoenix. So maybe he gets a similar jump start.

I think he'll learn how to pass better in NY too. He has to, if he learns how to pass out of that post up, he'll be so deadly. It's not hard Melo, find open guy, throw to open guy. It's not a difficult concept.
I don't see it. Melo has never been a good passer. He just doesn't have the court vision, ability or willingness to pass like other superstars like LeBron, Wade and others.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I don't see it. Melo has never been a good passer. He just doesn't have the court vision, ability or willingness to pass like other superstars like LeBron, Wade and others.
To be fair, he's never played with a Stoudemire or Felton. Maybe he'll be more inclined to pass with them on the roster.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

This west coast road trip has been brutal. I haven't seen any of the games bc they're all so late.

Can't wait until they come back east. I might try to get some cheap tickets and go to another game. I love the Garden, it's the best stadium I've ever been to. There's just nothing like the Garden.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was the Turiaf steal (travel), outlet to Felton, pass to fields, oop to Wil for the one-handed throwdown, Amare trailing screaming the play of the year?

I think so.

Four players touched the ball and the one who didn't was the ******* league MVP - and he was screaming because he was so pumped up.

******* awesome.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Sick play. I know there are other players out there with better stats than Amare, but he is clearly the MVP in my eyes. No player has even come close to his impact for the Knicks this year. That's what MVP is all about.

To me it's Amare by a fairly significant margin.