Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Take the guaranteed points. 50 53.76%
Run the clock down and attempt the Field Goal. 43 46.24%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Wally03
Rookie

Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
*shrug*

i maintain that there's a vastly different defensive approach to a mid-game extra point, than to a game winning field goal, no matter where that field goal happens to occur.

i have no interest in discussing intangible crap like psyche, but i'm sure someone who does could add that to the differences pile.
Fair point, hadn't really considered your statement from that point of view.
Wally03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure that game-winning field goals within 25 yards have a similar percentage of success as extra points.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The mindset for an extra point is that it's automatic, the mindset for a field goal is that it's makeable. Two different mindsets, thus two very different situations.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would've scored...I know MJD only did what he was told but I would take any risk out of scoring with a FG by just having the TD

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I'm pretty sure that game-winning field goals within 25 yards have a similar percentage of success as extra points.
Quote:
[ citation needed ]
It's so irrelevant and I'm shocked it's even being defended.

In its simplest form, here's the numerical breakdown:

MJD doesn't take a knee and continues his unabated course into the endzone = 100% chance of taking the lead in the game.

MJD takes a knee = NOT 100% chance of taking the lead in the game.

Score the ******* TD.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
It's so irrelevant and I'm shocked it's even being defended.

In its simplest form, here's the numerical breakdown:

MJD doesn't take a knee and continues his unabated course into the endzone = 100% chance of taking the lead in the game.

MJD takes a knee = NOT 100% chance of taking the lead in the game.

Score the ******* TD.
You are so wrong on this. This situation really is a no brainer. 100% of taking the lead in the game, does not mean winning the game. 98% of winning the game is 98% of winning the game. A FG of that distance is the easiest play in all of sports.

Do you think the Jets had greater than or less than a 2% chance of running a successful 2 minutes drill and scoring a TD?

Last edited by Jughead10 : 11-17-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Yes it is.

There have been over 500 touchdowns this season and 8 missed extra points. That's a pretty solid percentage of success.

You have a lot better chance to make an extra point-like FG than stop a touchdown drive.
I don't know where you got your stats from, so maybe you already took this into account, but if the ball is not actually kicked, then failed PAT are counted as failed 2 point conversions. We had that situation this weekend against Pittsburgh.

Our place holder (Kevin Huber) took the snap, and the ball slipped as he went to place it for Graham. Graham hesitated so Huber picked the ball up. The official call on that is "failed 2 point conversation" not "failed PAT".
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see why its such a big deal, really. He took a knee, so what? Isn't that what the coach told him to do? Sure, I lost my fantasy game because of him, but does that really outweigh why he should have just gone into the endzone? Anything can happen in a 1:30. See: Denver vs. Bengals week 1.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote