Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CONGRATULATIONS TO JBOND AND TEAM 3!

Hip hip hooray! ....whatevers... haha. just kiddin'.

His team was voted on by fellow board members as the most desirable team to start an NFL franchise with out of a competitive group of 9 teams.

The Team
QB Donovan McNabb
RB Rudi Johnson/Lamont Jordan
WR Torry Holt/Marvin Harrison
TE Alge Crumpler

DE Dwight Freeney/Patrick Kerney
DT Marcus Stroud/Kris Jenkins
OLB Lavar Arrington/D.J. Williams
ILB Al Wilson
CB Champ Bailey/Dunta Robinson
S Sean Taylor/Bob Sanders

2nd Place: Steelers4Life
3rd Place: LTGiants
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:12 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i shouldve won
Old 06-05-2006, 04:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I should've won.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:23 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After careful examination, I didn't hesitate to vote team 3.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 PM    (permalink
S4L
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked my team, and I think in 5 years it will be better, but JBond had an incredible team. I'm cool with 2nd.

Congrats JBond, Steelers fans go 1-2.

Xbox Live Gamertag: DocSteel92
Rest in peace, Randy Pausch.
S4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers4Life
I liked my team, and I think in 5 years it will be better, but JBond had an incredible team. I'm cool with 2nd.

Congrats JBond, Steelers fans go 1-2.
You got snubbed. :?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank You! Thank You!

I actually picked 9th out of 9 teams.

Here's my thing about some of these teams, you guys just went for youth over guys who are still "younger" but not proven yet.

D-Unit, Antonio Cromartie is a raw player and may never amount to anything. We aren't picking based on potential, we are picking based on who will have the best team.

My goal was to get guys who:

First and foremost were proven, and no one could discredit them contributing to a game and flat out performing

Second, have the ability to get better and thus improve my team in the future

Third, have youth.

I tried to keep most of my guys below 30, or right at 30, unless I got them as a steal (Marvin Harrison).

Looking at guys like Sean Taylor, Dunta, Williams, Lavar, etc, I got youth, and combined it with solid experience (Holt, Champ, Kerney, etc).

I think you need a balance, instead of just going for a rookie who may actually bust out and we don't know.

Here was my initial explanations for my team, before the vote:

QB: I got McNabb in the later rounds, and I think it is a steal. He plays hard, and with actual talent around him (and there is a lot on my offense,) he would be an instant star. This way, he doesn’t have to overexert, and he still has the youth at 29 to continue Qbing for years.

RB: I got two younger guys whoa re a good tandem. Rudi is not spectacular, but he is a solid back who will consistently pick up yardage. Lamont can catch out of the backfield and be an excellent change of pace back. This will take pressure off of McNabb and show an efficient running game

WR: I picked Holt early, at 30 he has 3-4 good years left, and would work with a QB like McNabb. Harrison was got late, and with his contract, he still has some years left. These give me two veterans, and a position that could add youth later.

TE: I was the last to pick a TE, and Alge still being there was nice. He can block efficiently and has been a safety valve for Vick. Being a safety valve for McNabb should work too.

DE: Freeney as my first pick gives an instant pass rush threat on the edge. I paired Kerney with him later to give me a run stopping DE who can dominate Ots. This gives me the pass rushing threat to stop young opposing teams.

DT: Took some risks here, but these guys will stop the run. Stroud was an early pick to plug holes, and while Jenkins is an injury threat, he was too good to pass up as my 2nd to last defender picked. The D-line as a whole gives me enough of a balance to be successful.

LB: Lavar Arrington is a beast in his own right. Letting him roam around and do his thing will crush teams. D.J. was a guy I picked later to be that solid player who can make surefire tackles. Though he had a down year this past year, I think he was a steal. Al Wilson was a good value pick for me, and one of my first defenders taken. He has the skills and ability. This should be a solid corp who can do many different things.

CB: Champ Bailey is as close to a shutdown corner as you can get. With him, I held off and grabbed a steal in Dunta. He has the youth to be as good as the 29 year old Bailey down the line. Excellent tandem who I paired specifically with my pass rush to provide a base that can’t be passed on.

S: Sean Taylor was an early pick for his youth along with the path he has taken to soon be the best S in the league. I figured he can come up and help the run as well as get some key picks. At SS, Bob Sanders stuck out to me. With my efficient pass rush, I wanted a hard hitter who could come up and stop the run as well as lay the lumber on receivers. I got it in Sanders.

I think a lot of teams went for youth over proven quality. I tried to get guy in their mid-late 20s who have proven that they will compete at the highest level. This is a team that would dominate for 3-4 years, and that is what you want out of these types of drafts.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93
I think a lot of teams went for youth over proven quality. I tried to get guy in their mid-late 20s who have proven that they will compete at the highest level. This is a team that would dominate for 3-4 years, and that is what you want out of these types of drafts.
YOU TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT! I should revoke this.

I knew it would turn out this way and that's why I tried to overemphasize the whole idea of this draft was to begin a franchise that would last forever.

Your team is great for the short term... lasting for 3-4 years, but there's a HUGE difference between drafting a team that is built to win in the short term versus the long term. McNabb, Harrison, Holt are way too old to be taking in this type of draft. ...your RB situation is sad... you said it yourself, Rudi is unspectacular... Alge is ok...

But no way does that beat Tom Brady, Willis McGahee, Reggie Bush, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams and Todd Heap...keeping your eye on the future.

Your DL is halfway good. Stroud and Freeney is nice... but Jenkins? How can you build a franchise off a guy who hasn't played due to injury the last 2 years? ...and Kerney is not elite.

Arrington is another player who never seems to stick on the field. DJ is nice and Wilson is ok.

Champ is no longer a shutdown corner and he's old. Daunta was a great pick for this type of draft...as was the rest of your secondary.

But there are just way too many old guys (past their prime) on this team for me to truly say this team is best built to win in the long term future.

I had a bad feeling this would happen and I was right. Most posters would see the line up and say, wow, based off how your team would win this upcoming season. Too bad. You misunderstood the point just as bad as the voters. LOL.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think so, you say forever, but that is unrealistic. Are we not getting players when ours get too old? I imagine so.

Rudi may be unspectacular, but like I said, he gets the tough yardage, you need a back like that.

McNabb is in his late 20s, Holt is 29-30. You're telling me these guys don't have some years left? They do.

You seem to forget what Kerney did two years ago, definitely dominating the league. And Jenkins was a late round risk. Without us having depth at positions, it doesn't help. When healthy, he is dominant, so I took a chance.

Champ is 29! We've seen corners go late into their 30s and still produce well.

I think the goal is unclear. Is our goal to pick the youngest guys possible and therefore they will automatically become stars? Bush hasn't played a game yet, Willis had a major down year and may not recover, obviously Brady and Fitz are awesome, but Roy Williams and Todd Heap have never reached their potential, will they ever?

Why should I take a shot to draft guys who haven't proven they are great yet when I can get great guys who will make my team strong for half a decade. I mean, in 7-8 years ALL of our teams will be what has been called "old," so when does forever stop? 8 years? 10 years?

There's no way to grade how your guys will be down the line. Like, STeelers4Life team. What if Ngata or Mario busts out of the league? It could happen, and wouldn't that cripple a team?

If we got 9 real NFL managers together and did this, do you think the teams would look for like mine with some younger depth, or more like your team? I'd venture to say mine. They'd get guys they know can play and then later, get the younger guys to fill out their roster. Exactly what I would have done had we expanded to a whole team.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I don't think so, you say forever, but that is unrealistic. Are we not getting players when ours get too old? I imagine so.

Rudi may be unspectacular, but like I said, he gets the tough yardage, you need a back like that.

McNabb is in his late 20s, Holt is 29-30. You're telling me these guys don't have some years left? They do.

You seem to forget what Kerney did two years ago, definitely dominating the league. And Jenkins was a late round risk. Without us having depth at positions, it doesn't help. When healthy, he is dominant, so I took a chance.

I think the goal is unclear. Is our goal to pick the youngest guys possible and therefore they will automatically become stars? Bush hasn't played a game yet, Willis had a major down year and may not recover, obviously Brady and Fitz are awesome, but Roy Williams and Todd Heap have never reached their potential, will they ever?

Why should I take a shot to draft guys who haven't proven they are great yet when I can get great guys who will make my team strong for half a decade. I mean, in 7-8 years ALL of our teams will be what has been called "old," so when does forever stop? 8 years? 10 years?

There's no way to grade how your guys will be down the line. Like, STeelers4Life team. What if Ngata or Mario busts out of the league? It could happen, and wouldn't that cripple a team?

If we got 9 real NFL managers together and did this, do you think the teams would look for like mine with some younger depth, or more like your team? I'd venture to say mine. They'd get guys they know can play and then later, get the younger guys to fill out their roster. Exactly what I would have done had we expanded to a whole team.
You missed the entire point of this draft. I don't know where to begin and I doubt I would ever end.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:40 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
I should've won.
Yes you should have. You had the best team by far. The second best team won. I loved your team D Unit. I actually created it on madden and added my OL. Brady the ultimate winner at QB, Willis and Reggie two young great backs, Fitz and Roy, two great young WRs, Heap a top tier TE, the 3-4 you made was great, Williams and Warren at DE, both young and Williams is dominant, Fat Albert in the middle, Wimbley and Abraham at outside is amazing, Hawk and Bullucks in the inside is dominant, Rolle is going to be a star, Whitner too, Adrian Wilson is a beast, the only question is Cromartie, who has the potential to be a lock down CB, but is unproven.

Congrats JBond, your team is amazing as well.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
I should've won.
Yes you should have. You had the best team by far. The second best team won. I loved your team D Unit. I actually created it on madden and added my OL. Brady the ultimate winner at QB, Willis and Reggie two young great backs, Fitz and Roy, two great young WRs, Heap a top tier TE, the 3-4 you made was great, Williams and Warren at DE, both young and Williams is dominant, Fat Albert in the middle, Wimbley and Abraham at outside is amazing, Hawk and Bullucks in the inside is dominant, Rolle is going to be a star, Whitner too, Adrian Wilson is a beast, the only question is Cromartie, who has the potential to be a lock down CB, but is unproven.

Thanks! I'm impressed that you made a Madden team from it! lol.

I admit Cromartie was a risk/reward pick, but I did draft him towards the end. haha. I think I just took one too many youngin's to sway the voters, but I loved my team at the same time. I totally forgot about Daunta Robinson... That was my downfall. He was actually a very late pick. I think a lot of us forgot about him cause last year was a so so year.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:18 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What was D-Unit's team?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Quote:

If we got 9 real NFL managers together and did this, do you think the teams would look for like mine with some younger depth, or more like your team? I'd venture to say mine. They'd get guys
they know can play and then later, get the younger guys to fill out their roster. Exactly what I would have done had we expanded to a whole team.
You missed the entire point of this draft. I don't know where to begin and I doubt I would ever end.
I'm not putting your team down, it was solid, just TOO young for my tastes, too unproven. I don't think I should get bashed just because I won. I don't think you should hate me because I "missed the point." I tried hard, felt like I built a solid team whether it wasn't the exact science or what.

I just think, next time, there should be a limit on how long you are building for, a certain number of years, whether it be 10, 15, 20, whatever. I think a whole team should be drafted, and voting be based on would win the most Super Bowls over the given years.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:40 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
YOU TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT! I should revoke this.

I knew it would turn out this way and that's why I tried to overemphasize the whole idea of this draft was to begin a franchise that would last forever.

Your team is great for the short term... lasting for 3-4 years, but there's a HUGE difference between drafting a team that is built to win in the short term versus the long term. McNabb, Harrison, Holt are way too old to be taking in this type of draft. ...your RB situation is sad... you said it yourself, Rudi is unspectacular... Alge is ok...

But no way does that beat Tom Brady, Willis McGahee, Reggie Bush, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams and Todd Heap...keeping your eye on the future.

Your DL is halfway good. Stroud and Freeney is nice... but Jenkins? How can you build a franchise off a guy who hasn't played due to injury the last 2 years? ...and Kerney is not elite.

Arrington is another player who never seems to stick on the field. DJ is nice and Wilson is ok.

Champ is no longer a shutdown corner and he's old. Daunta was a great pick for this type of draft...as was the rest of your secondary.

But there are just way too many old guys (past their prime) on this team for me to truly say this team is best built to win in the long term future.

I had a bad feeling this would happen and I was right. Most posters would see the line up and say, wow, based off how your team would win this upcoming season. Too bad. You misunderstood the point just as bad as the voters. LOL.
Rudi is a top ten RB and still very young, Alge, You have to have Vetran Leaders on the Football field to win football games. Harrison still has three or four years left in him, Holt has five or six, and McNabb isn't even 30 yet he is close to the same age as brady :roll: .
While your team was a close second or third IMO, Bush haven't proved anything yet, Roy Williams is just above average, Fitz was your best Offensive player. but Rudi>McGahee, crumpler>Heap and come on you Champ still one of the top CB out there and he is only 28 years. Hell this team could be superbowl tender for six or sevens years.......

You took this to seriously :roll:

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
I should've won.

Thanks! I'm impressed that you made a Madden team from it! lol.

I admit Cromartie was a risk/reward pick, but I did draft him towards the end. haha. I think I just took one too many youngin's to sway the voters, but I loved my team at the same time. I totally forgot about Daunta Robinson... That was my downfall. He was actually a very late pick. I think a lot of us forgot about him cause last year was a so so year.
There's not much to do around here on a Sunday night.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote