Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.
Question Next Head Coach?

I like Shannahan.....What does everyone else think? Garrett is out of the question in my mind. He has underacheived since Sparano left.
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Shanahan.

I read a couple of interesting suggestions elsewhere yesterday.

What's everyone's thought on these two?

Ron Rivera

Russ Grimm

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be upset with Jerry going with Garrett. Bloggingtheboys has a pretty good article on this very subject, talking about Sparano, Haley, & Payton. While a lot of the articles over there are fluff and completely homer'ish. I think Garrett is a smart man, and coaching takes experience and time to be successful. I also don't see him in the same light that a few of you do as a OC, could he use a "mentor", or a veteran OC, sure...but otherwise I think he can be a pretty good HC. I'm not sold on Shanahan or Gruden, and like someone else said, I don't want to see another young coach use the talent as guinea pigs while he learns at his first stop. We missed on Singletary, I don't see anyone else who could come in here and make a big change.

What are people's thoughts on Jeff Fisher?
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to have Fisher. However, I think they've been playing really well so it's not looking like Adams will get rid of him. But, I don't think Bud Adams is very bright so he might just haul off and can him.

I think JJ would be all over Fisher if he were available. They worked together on the competition committee years ago and I think they both have a lot of respect for each other.

I understand your comment about a young coordinator, but I don't think guys like Rivera or Russ Grimm would be a huge risk because, with their playing experience, they've been in the league for many many years.

I just think, whoever it is, needs to be someone that holds them accountable and really makes them focus on the details. It doesn't necessarily need to be an ahole like Parcells, but he needs to be a guy that keeps a bug up everyone's butt all the time. I've actually read that discription of Shanny. Probably why it was time for him to go after 14 years in Denver.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Supporting Caste
Rookie

Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe DeCamillis.
Supporting Caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would love to have Fisher. However, I think they've been playing really well so it's not looking like Adams will get rid of him. But, I don't think Bud Adams is very bright so he might just haul off and can him.
Got to agree with mac, Fisher or nobody else. That's probably Jerry Jones' thinking too.

And I rather have an in-house HC like Garrett with all his faults over Shanahan too, b/c I think Shanahan is overrated. He rode that famous Al Davis firing after only 3-4 games for all it was worth in Denver (a town & an NFL owner that hates all things Davis), his signature schemes in Denver like zone blocking, RB by committee etc. just wore out & he didnt innovate when the rest of league had figured out how to beat them, & Denver went from annual playoff contender to mediocre at best. That & the fact that I ******* hate Denver orange & don't want to get any of it on my team.

Shanahan's over & done with, a has-been, Dallas could do a lot better for another HC.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Got to agree with mac, Fisher or nobody else. That's probably Jerry Jones' thinking too.

And I rather have an in-house HC like Garrett with all his faults over Shanahan too, b/c I think Shanahan is overrated. He rode that famous Al Davis firing after only 3-4 games for all it was worth in Denver (a town & an NFL owner that hates all things Davis), his signature schemes in Denver like zone blocking, RB by committee etc. just wore out & he didnt innovate when the rest of league had figured out how to beat them, & Denver went from annual playoff contender to mediocre at best. That & the fact that I ******* hate Denver orange & don't want to get any of it on my team.

Shanahan's over & done with, a has-been, Dallas could do a lot better for another HC.
I don't know. I think you're being a bit harsh on Shanny. I don't think his downfall was coaching; it was personnel, which he will not have full control over here.

He was a top 10 offense every single year up until Cutler got there, and that's with Brian Griese and Jake Plummer. And he sent both of those guys to the Pro Bowl.

Shanny probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I think you're being a bit too hard on him.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bill Cowher or Dom Capers.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

YOu know, D. I think Cowher is a bit overrated, but I would take him for sure.

We've been hearing for some time now the talking heads saying that a guy like Cowher would never work for a JJ. I'm not so sure about that. I think JJ is willing to allow the right coach liberties. And more importantly, is Cowher going to want to go to Carolina where he has to wait until they find a good QB? The thing that makes the Dallas job so attractive is Romo. I would think that all of these guys would see that Dallas is not that far off in talent and they have a top 10 QB. I know Carolina is close to his home, but man that could be a real mess there in Carolina in a year or two.

Same thing with Shanny to Wash. Who's he got there to QB? You think Shanny is pumped to work with Campbell?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-16-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

I mentioned Shannahan as a candididate. I do like like him.....other coaches I like our:

Capers HC and Martz OC: Solves the DC and OC.

Gruden HC: He does have a track record of taking over a talent roster and getting something out of it. DC is a question?

Garrett is out of the question......too many poor game time decisions as a OC. Do you really think he can improve his decision making process during the game as a HC? The answer is NO!

Cowher will cost us alot!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just vote for a change #1, it's obvious we need that.

#2 no Jerry puppets, most people should know by know that having a 'yes man' that basically lets Jerry run the team is not the answer and doesn't work.

If we can get outside the box for those 2 I'm all for it. I like Shanny primarily because of what I think he'd do for Romo, Cowher ehh, maybe. I don't think he's all he's cracked up to be, he retired while he was sought after, and for a long time supposedly couldn't win the big game. I wonder how people would view him had he retired before the super bowl run.

If we change things up I really don't care, just not Wade or Garrett and I'd be happy honestly.

And as far as Jeff Fisher, I did want him the most, but VY saved his job so he won't be available. I would of loved to have him prior though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone please explain the Garrett hate. Despite hi overthinking himself time and time again, I think he's had the offense at what? top 5, top 3, despite a aging line and a erratic(in the past) Romo...Experience is one of the greatest teachers and he's going to take time to become a "great".

I don't trust Shanny drafting...I think Cowher's over the hill.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Someone please explain the Garrett hate. Despite hi overthinking himself time and time again, I think he's had the offense at what? top 5, top 3, despite a aging line and a erratic(in the past) Romo...Experience is one of the greatest teachers and he's going to take time to become a "great".

How hard is it to rack up yardage with the players we have, especially considering he passes as much as he does? Racking up yardage does not make you qualified to be a Head Coach.

There are numerous reasons Garrett should not be a HC, I don't even feel like going into it, but we would be a mess for another 3-4 years. Rest assured we'll rack up lots of yards and throw the ball plenty but hey, if those are all the requirements then Mike Martz would still be a HC somewhere.

Quote:
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

I take it you're forgetting the '07 season.

Alas, don't mistake me as a Garrett homer, I'm not. I just see a lot of hyperbole when it comes to him. He has his warts, and tendancies, but so does every other coach in the league. Ask Philly fans how Reid is doing when they're losing, or a steeler fan how Tomlin has been this year. I think it's easier to win with Garrett(which is ultimately the goal right?) then it would be to bring in some overpaid HOF coach right now. Payton got trashed quite a bit in Dallas if i can recall, how's NO doing? Besides Fisher I don't see a established HC that can get Dallas over that hump without wasting away the talent already on the roster. Unless I'm missing someone, Shanny, Gruden, Cowher? No, no, and not possible. Holmgren maybe, but he's looking at Cleveland, and a entirely new offense.

Garrett w/ veteran OC/DC is win/win, IMO.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:11 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As scary as it sounds I think Garrett would be a good coach for dallas. However we would need strong experienced coordinators. Dan Reeves as OC? What ties do we have for DC...Campo seems like a likely choice but I don't like the fit. I wish we would figured out a way to get Capers here but no stewart had to mess that up.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:15 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Bill Cowher or Dom Capers.
I don't think you'd get Capers to come out of Green Bay just yet.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
I don't think you'd get Capers to come out of Green Bay just yet.
Technically he should of been here, it was all but decided then there were some formalities with our DC at the time and not wanting to ruffle any feathers. I don't know why Capers would pass up a HC job anywhere to stay a DC though, that's pretty much anywhere.

Bringing in Capers with Wade would of been the best thing for us, I can only imagine what him and Wade could scheme up for our D. As a HC I'm not sure what to expect with him, but I'd be all for giving him a chance though. He kinda got a raw deal in Houston, he didn't turn an expansion team around fast enough but some key players got hurt and honestly the Texans haven't been much better since he left.

He's due for another shot pretty soon.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I take it you're forgetting the '07 season.

Alas, don't mistake me as a Garrett homer, I'm not. I just see a lot of hyperbole when it comes to him. He has his warts, and tendancies, but so does every other coach in the league. Ask Philly fans how Reid is doing when they're losing, or a steeler fan how Tomlin has been this year. I think it's easier to win with Garrett(which is ultimately the goal right?) then it would be to bring in some overpaid HOF coach right now. Payton got trashed quite a bit in Dallas if i can recall, how's NO doing? Besides Fisher I don't see a established HC that can get Dallas over that hump without wasting away the talent already on the roster. Unless I'm missing someone, Shanny, Gruden, Cowher? No, no, and not possible. Holmgren maybe, but he's looking at Cleveland, and a entirely new offense.

Garrett w/ veteran OC/DC is win/win, IMO.

If Garrett is so qualified why isn't that nobody has came in to scoop him up yet? Why is it that secretly we were hoping someone took him off our hands to make the decision easier? Does that sound that like HC in waiting?

I'm almost certain Jerry wanted STL to sign Garrett, and the line wasn't that long anyway to bring him in. You'll probably get your wish though, but don't complain when we have the same issues on this team rolling right over to Garrett.

Veteran OC or not, you really think Garrett is just going to give up play-calling duties out right? Doubt it. That's his forte, he's going to be calling the shots on offense as long as he is around period.

Oh and as far as Payton goes, the credit in NO goes to Gregg Williams. What has Payton done before this season? Nothing. Drafted all offense and ran gimmicky plays when they weren't necessary. Finally Gregg Williams came in and they got the ship righted on that side of the ball, but let's hold off on the Payton praise because he's done about as much as Wade has here and were talking about replacing him.

He hasn't even made the playoffs yet, let alone win a game. That's like annointing Wade in early December back in 07 for how good we started. Payton is a looong way from showing that he's a genius. If they fall apart in the playoffs then what? He's no better then what Wade has done here.

Quote:

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 12-17-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want strong character in the next HC. A guy that demands respect, but is also a player's coach. A guy who will get Jerry to be on his side rather than the other way around. Only a guy with major respect and credentials can do that. Parcells did that. Cowher could answer all those things the best, imo.

Unfortunately, that is a wing and prayer.

I really admire what Capers has done this year. I think he's back on his horse and has his mojo back. He kinda lost it in Houston. I didn't want to be apart of his growing pains to recovery, so I'm not all that upset that he's not here today. I just want him here tomorrow.

If Jack Del Rio gets fired, I do like him. We'll have to evaluate the landscape when the season ends.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:25 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Technically he should of been here, it was all but decided then there were some formalities with our DC at the time and not wanting to ruffle any feathers. I don't know why Capers would pass up a HC job anywhere to stay a DC though, that's pretty much anywhere.

Bringing in Capers with Wade would of been the best thing for us, I can only imagine what him and Wade could scheme up for our D. As a HC I'm not sure what to expect with him, but I'd be all for giving him a chance though. He kinda got a raw deal in Houston, he didn't turn an expansion team around fast enough but some key players got hurt and honestly the Texans haven't been much better since he left.

He's due for another shot pretty soon.
Right, but what I'm saying is that Green Bay JUST switched to a 3-4 scheme. And I just don't see the Packers letting him go. I would imagine that they would make the higher bid.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
Right, but what I'm saying is that Green Bay JUST switched to a 3-4 scheme. And I just don't see the Packers letting him go. I would imagine that they would make the higher bid.
Your talking about the Dallas cowboys....who currently have the highest paid assistant head coach in the league. Price isn't going to be the issue.

It's going to be do you wanna be a HC OR A DC?

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:42 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Your talking about the Dallas cowboys....who currently have the highest paid assistant head coach in the league. Price isn't going to be the issue.

It's going to be do you wanna be a HC OR A DC?
I forget that the Dallas Cowboys snapped the economy crisis.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I hadn't thought of Del Rio, but that's a very interesting name.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

Alot can happen in a few weeks......I think that the Cowboys will not make the playoffs......Too much bad coaching. With that said.....Is Black Monday a realistic fire date? I think the Cowboys will have one of the best shots at getting a high profile coach. Alot of the pieces are in place for a run at the Superbowl.

Everyone knows I like Shannahan. I think Shannahan has the inside shot.....Profootballtalk reported that sources close to Shannahan said he would take the Cowboys job in a minute.....That was reported back in October.

Many others have mentioned very qualified candidates. I think we will hear more candidates surface if the Boys lose to the Saints.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

It's being said that Snyder is making a hard play for Shanny. I've alse read/heard that Shanny is leaning to Wash.

My question is, why does Shanny seem to 'reportedly' be in such a hurry to get to Wash? Shouldn't he just hang on and let the season play out and see what happens?

-Douglas MacArthur