Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mike Holmgren

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...age-to-lerner/

Amid multiple reports that former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren is meeting with the Browns, Chris Mortensen of ESPN offers up a nugget that could, as a practical matter, limit Holmgren's options.

Per Mort, Holmgren "hopes to have his future clarified and secured by Christmas."

So with the only current G.M. vacancies in Cleveland and Seattle and the only open coaching job in Buffalo, there aren't many places where the Big Show will raise the curtain.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word is he's gonna settle into the GM position in Cleveland. If he does, it's probably good news for Mangina.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

here comes the copycat of the Dolphins phase II. first it was the wildcat, now it's trying to find the next Bill Parcells to run the front office.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Holmgren as a HC but if I were a Browns fan I would be thinking why the Packers didn't give him the GM/HC title when he was there and why the Seahawks took away the GM title from him a few years ago.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pleeeaase take him so we don't have to talk about him in Seattle anymore Browns pleeeeeaaaase.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Holmgren would do well in Cleveland.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I like Holmgren as a HC but if I were a Browns fan I would be thinking why the Packers didn't give him the GM/HC title when he was there and why the Seahawks took away the GM title from him a few years ago.
that question has come up a lot in browns-dom lately....but I think the issue was being GM and HC at the same time was too much, but being only one or the other won't be as hard. It's more about recognizing how to build a winning team than it will be about recognizing talent in the draft like it was with Phil Savage. I think there's gonna be a guy under Mike with that responsibility.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Mike is there, I think thats trouble for Mangini.

GMs almost always want their own guys running the show. Holmgren has no affiliation with Mangini, never worked with him or anything.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mangini era is cut short if Holmgren takes this job.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder what Holmgren would do at QB in Cleveland.

Remember, he didn't draft any good QBs in Seattle- he acquired Hasselbeck in a trade for a sixth round pick because he was familiar with him.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
If Mike is there, I think thats trouble for Mangini.

GMs almost always want their own guys running the show. Holmgren has no affiliation with Mangini, never worked with him or anything.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mangini era is cut short if Holmgren takes this job.
I agree. There would definetly be a personality conflict there and in all honestly I was shocked when the Browns hired Mangini considering he did jack in NY and the players hated him.

I wish the Browns good luck though. They have a long ways to go and the constant turnover in staff isn't helping. I think they should switch back to the 4-3, dump Anderson, and focus on getting some weapons around Quinn.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

Remember, he didn't draft any good QBs in Seattle- he acquired Hasselbeck in a trade for a sixth round pick because he was familiar with him.
But wasn't he familiar with him because he coached him up from a 6th round rookie in Green Bay? He's still their QB, he didn't exactly need to draft another one in Seattle.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

I think he'd go with Quinn. He's on record as saying he doesnt agree with drafting underclass QBs so i think they'd go with Brady.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holmgren would be good for Quinn. His track record with qbs speaks for itself.

If Mangini is let go, his coaching career may be over. And even finding a coordinator job would be tough for him, he's burned most of his bridges with Bellichick's coaching tree, and many coaches would be careful to hire him bc he's supposedly a "snitch"
Old 12-15-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I think I heard somewhere that Holmgren was in the camp that thinks Quinn is gonna be a good QB and is a great fit in the WCO. Then against new regimes usually mean new QBs when there isn't a good QB already in place, so who knows. I think it spells the end for Mangini eventually, though I don't think necessarily that they would fire him before the 2010 season.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think more importantly Mike would be able to draft AROUND the QB position instead of trying to go through it. This is the biggest problem with the Browns, our talent outside the QB position.

I am comfortable with about half of our players on offense, them being.

TE - Evan Moore (Came out of no where, has glue for hands and great intensity.)

WR - Massaquoi (I would like him to be more of a #2 though)

FB - Vickers

LT - Joe Thomas

LG - Steinbach

C - Mack

So 6 of the 11 are okay, but we have an abysmal right side of the line, no true #1 receiver, a ? at running back and uncertainty at the biggest position in the game (qb).

Defense obviously needs some work as well considering were dead last.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
I think more importantly Mike would be able to draft AROUND the QB position instead of trying to go through it. This is the biggest problem with the Browns, our talent outside the QB position.

FB - Vickers

LT - Joe Thomas

LG - Steinbach

C - Mack

So 6 of the 11 are okay, but we have an abysmal right side of the line, no true #1 receiver, a ? at running back and uncertainty at the biggest position in the game (qb).

what about Brian Robiskie? I loved him as a prospect, has he shown anything?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
what about Brian Robiskie? I loved him as a prospect, has he shown anything?
Yeah he has, he has shown that when he gets playing time he can make plays, and Mangini has shown that he doesn't like to put Robo in.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Can't show much when they won't let you. It's not like we run routes of more than 10 yards in our offense anyhow : (
Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post

FB - Vickers

LT - Joe Thomas

LG - Steinbach

C - Mack

The Oline is in place but you guys need a running game. I think the offense can get by without an elite WR but no team can win without a running game. Time to simplify which is why I say scrap the 3-4. Run the ball and short, quick passes to more possession guys like Massaquoi and Robiskie which is how Holmgren runs his offense.

Oh and Evan Moore didn't come out of nowhere, he came from the Packers ;) We had no room for room just like we didn't have room for Joey Haynos when the Dolphins took him from us last year.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Browns better pray hard they Holmgren decided to join them. That means dumbass Mangini will get fired and they could bring in a coach who is actually worth somethin. Here's a thought. You think Holmgren would go after Gruden to coach his team if he accepts the job?

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
You think Holmgren would go after Gruden to coach his team if he accepts the job?
I highly doubt it. Gruden and Holmgren's personalties would clash. I think Holmgren would need to find his "Tony Soprano" in that a guy who tends to go unoticed.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I highly doubt it. Gruden and Holmgren's personalties would clash. I think Holmgren would need to find his "Tony Soprano" in that a guy who tends to go unoticed.
Could be but I know that Gruden was on Holmgren's coaching staff while with the Packers so you know Holmgren knows what Gruden is all about. And both share the same similarity in style of offense and working well with QB's.

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
here comes the copycat of the Dolphins phase II. first it was the wildcat, now it's trying to find the next Bill Parcells to run the front office.
That's not all...The Miami Dolphins team plane is currently at Burke Airport. There's 2 rumors circulating that Parcells is interviewing or that Parcells is helping Lerner with the interview (the latter being more likely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
Could be but I know that Gruden was on Holmgren's coaching staff while with the Packers so you know Holmgren knows what Gruden is all about. And both share the same similarity in style of offense and working well with QB's.
Mangini has actually been getting a lot of support from his players lately.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
Mike Holmgren would do well in Cleveland.
As if they could do much worse than what they have now.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I personally loved Mangini's draft. He just needs some more time to work his mojo.