Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the Badgers..but I dont think they will hold up to that #7 ranking. 15-20 sounds more realistic
Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
ok, and we lost derrick johnson before that, and michael huff, and cedric griffin and nathan vasher, so whats the point? when your talking about schools like texas, usc, lsu, tosu, michigan etc, i dont calculate too much into losing stars on the team, outside of qb's and special players who come around every 5 years or so(cedric benson, roy williams)

we reload very fine every year on defense, but if anything mccoy will give us the best chance to win the big 12 this year, he has sweed and charles around him, and experience in the offense finally, all returning back, with OU having a new qb and rb....

so if we dont end up winning who will?

either way that wasnt my gripe, i just feel like we should be ranked higher then LSU in pre season polls because of the change at qb, they will replace bowe and landry ok, but starting qb is different
Eh, I can agree, but last year UT's secondary was pretty mediocre down the stretch, and the two best players int he secondary are now gone. I can't see it getting better. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if Nebraska won the Big 12. They have a really good defense, and they've finally built an offense that can run the West Coast like it should be.

I'll also concede your point about breaking in a new QB, but I think the state of LSU's defense makes up for the fact that the offense will struggle initially.

Regardless, preseason rankings don't really matter. It'll come out in the wash.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

No one here has listed Oregon State as even being in the top 25, despite returning Yvenson Bernard, Sammie Stroughter, Alexis Serna, Clinton Polk, most of the offensive and defensive lines, the entire linebacker corps, 3/4s of the secondary. We had a 10 win season last year.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Purple N Proud

Haha o man I love the Buckeyes but it'll be hard to match last years win total. I think it's possible though, and I love the early schedule to give our young offense some time to gel. If we can get through there without any stupid losses, we could definitely be a NC contender.

Realistically with all the losses though I can't say we're in the top 8 to start the season. Too many questions left to be answered. I know we have Beanie, but losing Datish, Schafer, and Downing hurts. But hey the spring games just around the corner.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no Texas A&M? are you serious?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:06 AM    (permalink
504 to ATL
Veteran

504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL

Will any of it even matter, since USC and Michigan have cupcake schedules in comparison to SEC schools?

Normally a tOSU vs. Michigan matchup could be considered a toss up but not so this year. When all is said and done they will both be undefeated, partly their schedules and the fact that they dont play conference championships.

so my PRE-SEASON rankings take into account last year and the schedules of this year, and only account for the teams in the running for the national championship. So that said

1. USC
2. Michigan
3. LSU (home game over UF)
4. UF
5. Texas
504 to ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
weezer1195
Rookie

weezer1195 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hate pre-season rankings but ill add my two cents.

USC is #1 hands down. I could go on and on why but it is pretty obvious.

LSU I think will be nasty. Flynn is a veteran and they are loaded with talent.

Michigan will rule the conference with an explosive offense and a good enough defense.

Florida will be top ten but I cant see them making it through their schedule intact like last year.

Louisville rules the Big East. WVA's defense needs to step it up and pat white needs to develop as a passer. Big East will be tougher because I expect Rutgers to be better and South Florida to make some noise. USF returns alot of players and Grothe is a baller.

Miami and FSU fans need to be quiet. When your teams suck you should acknowledge this and eat your crow. How is Miami "loaded"? On paper maybe but lets see you offense show me something on the field. VT is the clear favorite in my book in the ACC. Lights out defense, workhorse running back, and just enough QB production. As for FSU...all I have to say is 30-0. That was the score against Wake Forest. So unless you are a shameless homer stop putting FSU ahead of WF in your rankings. It isnt because of players returning because Im familiar with Wake football and they return just as much or more.
weezer1195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Virginia Tech and Miami both need to be in the top 15.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
I love the Badgers..but I dont think they will hold up to that #7 ranking. 15-20 sounds more realistic
15-20!? Anything outside of top 10 would be an insult. We ended in the top 5 last year and didn't lose much. 6-12 should be the area that we fall. Mid teens to 20 is rediculous.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
jagsfreak27
Veteran

jagsfreak27 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
Tell Me what you think this is (IMO)

1. USC
2. Michigan
3. West Virgina
4. LSU
5. Florida
6. Ohio St.
7. Wisconsin
8. Texas
9. Auburn
10. Louisville
11. California
12. Bosie St.
13. Arkansas
14. Wake Forest
15. Notre Dame
16. Oklahoma
17. Virgina Tech
18. Tennessee
19. Boston College
20. Rutgers
21. Hawaii
22. Penn St.
23. Florida St.
24. South Carolina
25. UCLA
Thats not a bad list but I dont think FSU should be that high.

Jags:8-8
Duke B-Ball:22-10
Florida Gators: 13-1 BCS Champs
4/16/07 R.I.P VT
sig by jackalope
jagsfreak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfreak27 View Post
Thats not a bad list but I dont think FSU should be that high.
FSU is right where they belong. Low 20s.

Anyone who thinks Miami should be ranked is an idiot. There offense is pathetic. They don't have a quarterback. Recievers are average at best. Running back is decent. Defense is all they have. They will easily be a 4-5 loss team again.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
songofthesword

I dont get how arkansas won the SEC west last year, has everyone on offense returning, 3 or 4 people on the Defense that will be in the NFL in 1 or 2 years and is behind Auburn in every poll I've seen, dispite auburn lost their key running back and wideout, and 2 of their key offensive linemen.. and we WAXED them, AT AUBURN, when they had them last year, and we get them at home this year.

The only key road game arkansas plays all year is LSU. Every other tough team we get is at home (unless you consider alabama really tough). We don't play USC this year. And some people have arkansas ranked outside the top 20?

Arkansas is a top 10 team next year. Arkansas has 3, with the distinct possibility of 4 players that will be first day picks next year (McFadden, Jones, Monk and Hillis, with hillis being the only question because of his position)

And that's on Offense

On Defense, marus Harrison is a first round pick, at the absolute worst a 2nd rounder but I would be shocked if he is not a top 20 pick next year. Fred Bledsoe, if he ever gets his act together, is an NFL Defensive Lineman. Antwain Robinson is a late 2nd day pick.

what I am saying is, that's just plain wrong. Arkansas was a QB last year from being in the NC game.

I would rate LSU ahead of arkansas, because they have more talent, and that's one game I do not look forward to... but I think arkansas can pull it out, depending on the QB and WR development.

Arkansas v. Georgia in the SEC championchip game
Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
snuff

I hope Michigan is as good as you non Michigan fans claim, because I sure don't see it.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
DLS42
Veteran

DLS42 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.DLS42 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

My personal top 10
1- SC. I hate to do this since i am a monster cal fan but they are stacked. I dont think they will finish this way though, They have possible pitfalls at Oregon, Cal, UCLA and maybe even OSU.
2- LSU. Love the D. Glenn Dorsey will have a redicilous year and i think Perilloux will florish as well.
3-Michigan. Almost all of the offense is returning but losing all those defensive studs through the draft really hurts.
4- WVU. Slaton and White. But the defense will be the downfall for this team.
5- Wiscon. I personally love this team and PJ Hill in particular, i think the road to the Big 10 title is only blocked by the michigan game. Plus their punter is a stud.
6- Florida- After killing OSU in the title people tend to overrated them, Tebow will have a lot more trouble than expected.
7- VT. Its a shame that this defense goes largly unnoticed, Adibi and Hall will have another Top 5 Defense finish yet again.
8- Louisville- Another prolific offense that has big defensive questions. Brohm will lead the Heisman charge but can they finally get over the hump to a BCS bowl?
9- Arkansas. The best runningbacks in the country must try to help out a defense that lost a great DE and CB.
10- California. My team. I dont like the picks of putting us in the top 6. The secondary is shot and unless we can generate a pass rush, we going to have trouble with SC and Oregon. Note to hippies: Is losing a bunch of trees worse than losing the brightest young coach in the country. Plus Memorial stadium is a shanty.

Classic NFLDC. Vatech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS42 View Post
Elway we'll settle this once and for all. Cal SC sig bet. Cal wins you wear a cal sig for 3 weeks. Sc wins. ill wear a I heart pete caroll sig.
DLS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
15-20!? Anything outside of top 10 would be an insult. We ended in the top 5 last year and didn't lose much. 6-12 should be the area that we fall. Mid teens to 20 is rediculous.
Besides your starting QB and your absolute animal of a left tackle that went #3 in the draft? Ok then. But you are right, they're better than mid teens to 20, I'd put them at 9-12. P.J Hill is a beast
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Gchu83
Rookie

Gchu83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Gchu83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentN View Post
no Texas A&M? are you serious?
Are you?
Gchu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM    (permalink
Hunter S. Thompson
Rookie

Hunter S. Thompson hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think Michigan is top ten worthy, and Notre Dame is barely top 25 worthy. I would have no problem leaving them out of the poll altogether to start the season.

I also think Tennessee may be a tad bit low. They'd be closer to #10 in my poll.
Hunter S. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
jbooshey
Rookie

jbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read...UW is a top 10 preseason team and nothing less...this could be the best Badger team to ever step on the field...the Defense is going to be ridiculous and we have two capable replacements for QB and 4/5 of the o-line returning to heal the loss of Joe T....15-20????!!! That is a spit in the face!
jbooshey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbooshey View Post
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read...UW is a top 10 preseason team and nothing less...this could be the best Badger team to ever step on the field...the Defense is going to be ridiculous and we have two capable replacements for QB and 4/5 of the o-line returning to heal the loss of Joe T....15-20????!!! That is a spit in the face!
/agree

We very well may have the best D in the nation next year; last year it was certainly the most underrated.

Combine that with P.J. Hill and a nasty receiving tandem and we're going to be lights out.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson View Post
I don't think Michigan is top ten worthy, and Notre Dame is barely top 25 worthy. I would have no problem leaving them out of the poll altogether to start the season.

I also think Tennessee may be a tad bit low. They'd be closer to #10 in my poll.
Oooooooooooooooooooooook buddy...Michigan's offense is dirty and they have some playmakers on defense. I mean, we have Morgan Trent! Best Michigan corner ever! Better than Woodson! No but seriously watch Taylor and Crable be the anchors of a better than expected defense
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
SouthernPride396
Rookie

SouthernPride396 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songofthesword View Post
I dont get how arkansas won the SEC west last year, has everyone on offense returning, 3 or 4 people on the Defense that will be in the NFL in 1 or 2 years and is behind Auburn in every poll I've seen, dispite auburn lost their key running back and wideout, and 2 of their key offensive linemen.. and we WAXED them, AT AUBURN, when they had them last year, and we get them at home this year.

The only key road game arkansas plays all year is LSU. Every other tough team we get is at home (unless you consider alabama really tough). We don't play USC this year. And some people have arkansas ranked outside the top 20?

Arkansas is a top 10 team next year. Arkansas has 3, with the distinct possibility of 4 players that will be first day picks next year (McFadden, Jones, Monk and Hillis, with hillis being the only question because of his position)

And that's on Offense

On Defense, marus Harrison is a first round pick, at the absolute worst a 2nd rounder but I would be shocked if he is not a top 20 pick next year. Fred Bledsoe, if he ever gets his act together, is an NFL Defensive Lineman. Antwain Robinson is a late 2nd day pick.

what I am saying is, that's just plain wrong. Arkansas was a QB last year from being in the NC game.

I would rate LSU ahead of arkansas, because they have more talent, and that's one game I do not look forward to... but I think arkansas can pull it out, depending on the QB and WR development.

Arkansas v. Georgia in the SEC championchip game

Your QB (or lack thereof), your coach (or lack of one worht a ****), and your OC (who is who?). Sure your run game is great, and you have a good-looking wideout, but a non-existent passing game coupled with a partially rebuilt secondary is usually a recipe for struggling.

Sig by DChess
SouthernPride396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Forzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
Tell Me what you think this is (IMO)

1. USC
2. Michigan
3. West Virgina
4. LSU
5. Florida
6. Ohio St.
7. Wisconsin
8. Texas
9. Auburn
10. Louisville
11. California
12. Bosie St.
13. Arkansas
14. Wake Forest
15. Notre Dame
16. Oklahoma
17. Virgina Tech
18. Tennessee
19. Boston College
20. Rutgers
21. Hawaii
22. Penn St.
23. Florida St.
24. South Carolina
25. UCLA
Am a Hawaii fan and despite Colt returning, I see them as on the bubble...for now. They lost quite a bit of experience in Alama-Francis, Purcell, Ilaoa, Peters, Satale etc. But definately will surprise some people and I see them rising. The offence should continue to explode with Colt there and some good receivers returning.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
songofthesword

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride396 View Post
Your QB (or lack thereof), your coach (or lack of one worht a ****), and your OC (who is who?). Sure your run game is great, and you have a good-looking wideout, but a non-existent passing game coupled with a partially rebuilt secondary is usually a recipe for struggling.

uhh.. get your facts straight..

okay.. I'll give you the coach.. no defense there. I hate him.

but Casey Dick is our QB, who was our Starting QB the last 2 years. He isn't the problem.. see above

who said anything about a rebuilt secondary? we lost a 2nd round Corner (who should have been first) buteveryone who wil be playing next year played 40-50 of the snaps this year in the secondary. Michael Grant will be a NFL corner, and is the fastest person on the team (you read that right)... just injury ridden and came on a little slow in his career.

what scares me more than anything was the lack of recruiting this year. This years team is going to be better than last years, I can promise you that. As a matter of fact, no one in arkasnas expected last year to happen, everything has always pointed for this year. it's why we started Casey dick as a true freshmen.

Our OC is David Lee, who was the Qurterbacks coach of the coywboys last year.

I went to the spring game, you will see a different offense than in the past.... rather it will work or not is yet to be seen but it looks more like a real offense than anything I have seen up there yet.

with all that said... we still layed the smack to auburn and have most of our important starters returning, plus an All SEC LB that was out the entire year last year
Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
songofthesword

BTW, do not be suprised to see Casey Dick's little brother take his job from him byt hte middle of the year...LOADS better. will be a true freshmen, and threw all of 1 INT his senior year.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:19 AM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10089235

Kentucky #25... Never thought I'd see the day...
UK will be ranked higher than that once they beat Louisville on September 15.

If they get on a roll I also think they have a big chance of knocking off Arkansas as well.