Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else think a top notch returner would do wonders for this team? Crayton is decent, but he makes some punt returns a bit more adventurous then I would like.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So we're playoff bound. What a relief. Probably playing the Eagles in back to back games so this is going to get interesting. Of course a number of things could happen but, as of right now it's the Eagles.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:00 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Man...our offensive line gets NO PUSH!

We're better in 3rd and long, then we are 3rd and an inch...horrible.
Leonard Davis.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Leonard Davis.
So the onus isn't on JG this time? Frustrating...who's to blame?
Barber? JG? The O-Line(Davis specifically?)
Boys should've been up 21+ going into the 4th. You let a playoff team hang around like that and you're asking for trouble. I mean really...short of throwing a quick slant on 3rd and 1, I don't disagree with JG's calls too much, maybe he should know better, but you have to expect to be able to pick up a yard consistently.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Anyone else think a top notch returner would do wonders for this team? Crayton is decent, but he makes some punt returns a bit more adventurous then I would like.
YES!

I think this really needs to be addressed in the draft.

I think I remember Cribbs being free at the end of the season. Anyone else remember that?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
So the onus isn't on JG this time? Frustrating...who's to blame?
Barber? JG? The O-Line(Davis specifically?)
Boys should've been up 21+ going into the 4th. You let a playoff team hang around like that and you're asking for trouble. I mean really...short of throwing a quick slant on 3rd and 1, I don't disagree with JG's calls too much, maybe he should know better, but you have to expect to be able to pick up a yard consistently.
My full explanation is more complicated but it starts with Davis's inability to get a push or move his feet and pull. Take a look at these short yardage stuff's -- Davis is invlolved.

In fact we run much better left than right. Kosier can move his feet and get DL out of position. Davis can not not. Just look at the play with Barber when the LB shot the gap Davis pulled left and simply wiffed on the block. Barber got hit. Everyone did their job except Davis. On the other plays when they ran behind him -- those are his for not getting push IMHO.

Now with that said, Choice is a better short yardage guy than either Barber or Felix. Choice is a one cut guy. MB and Felix shuffle their feet way too much. Reminds me a bit of the Barry Sanders v Emmitt discussion ...... give me Emmitt when you need yards in tough situations b/c without penetration he always finds a crack of seem, hits it hard and gets the inches you need. Felix and MBIII just don't do that.

Lastly, JG is an idiot for running the same plays over and over and over that don't work. I mean a play action or role out is an option you know. QB sneak. So many options but none are explored.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my take.

I think most of last night's short yardage failure is on Barber. Barber is not seeing things well so he is hesitating. I agree that Choice would be a better short yardage option because of his vision and he's slippery.

I think the OL bears some responsiblity too. They had one or two of those blocked well enough to get it, but they could have done better. I think everyone needs to give some credit to Haynesworth, too. That guy is an absolute beast. He singlehandedly blew up two of those plays.

As for Garrett, I would like to see a PA pass mixed in there, but I think you guys are being too hard on him in this situation. Look, EVERYONE in the league runs the same short yardage plays. Garrett showed confidence in his big guys and they didn't execute for him. I would have liked for him to use one or two of those plays and use play action pass and the same could be said for the SD game. But I think it's cheap to question him trusting his guys; they just didn't come through for him.

I think they need to mix in a rollout or something like that in short yardage. Romo's good at putting pressure on the defense in those situations and frankly, he's our best offensive player so I want the ball in his hands, period.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Here's my take.

As for Garrett, I would like to see a PA pass mixed in there, but I think you guys are being too hard on him in this situation. Look, EVERYONE in the league runs the same short yardage plays. Garrett showed confidence in his big guys and they didn't execute for him. I would have liked for him to use one or two of those plays and use play action pass and the same could be said for the SD game. But I think it's cheap to question him trusting his guys; they just didn't come through for him.
I think the only thing to fault JG for is his failure to mix it up previously in the season. On every 3rd/4th and short I knew exactly what they were doing...and I don't have any coach's tape. LOL, so I know the DC's studying game film have enough knowledge to know what's coming. If he would've mixed in a PA, sweep, quick slant previously in the season the defense wouldn't be so quick to play the run in that situation. Otherwise...I think JG has been on point as of late, and I've been his biggest defender recently.

With that being said...Felix/Choice need more carries. Especially Choice out of a traditional set...The razorback doesn't take advantage of his running style, and it looks like our best back isn't being utilized in those situations.

We need the old Barber back!
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Yep, more Choice!

And I agree; questioning play calling is cheap second guessing. Football is really a pretty simple game. I think the 'predicability' thing is overblown, too. It's really not that hard with the amount of film study these teams do for teams to know what offenses are going to run much of the time. It comes down to execution.

Having said that, I do think this offense could use more PA pass and a few more rollouts. And I would like to see us spread things out a bit in short yardage. We could still use our 2 TE set and still spread the defense out a bit.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone gone beyond criticizing just the call of a run? Sure, the choice to run the ball on short yardage situations is a good one. But does that take Garrett off the hook? What about the type of run play called? What about the designed play of the run? Is it really the best run play to hand the ball off to Barber 7 yards behind the LOS when all you need is 1?

How do you blame a RB when he goes where the play is designed to go, but there is no where for him to run?

Barber is so good on cut backs and making gains outside of the designed call, but no one recognizes or appreciates that anymore. You just see what's in front of your eyes, and don't bother to break it down further. The grass isn't always greener on the other side folks. Sometimes, you miss what you had right in front of you. Let's not be quick to bash a guy like Barber who exemplifies the heart and warrior-like identity that I wish all our players to have.

Share the ball more? Sure. Trade Barber? GTFO.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This offense needs a deep threat at WR. I'm still disappointed that we still don't take more shots downfield. A part of me wonders if it's just inability with our current personnel but is it purely play calling? Is it the 2 TE set formation? Are they afraid of Romo throwing picks on deep balls? They wanna keep him more under control? I dunno. Fact is... we don't take downfield shots.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
This offense needs a deep threat at WR.
What do you consider Austin? 16.6 ypc, 20 20+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL), 7 40+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL). Or do you mean more of a DeSean Jackson-type "Run a fly and we'll bomb it to you" player?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
What do you consider Austin? 16.6 ypc, 20 20+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL), 7 40+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL). Or do you mean more of a DeSean Jackson-type "Run a fly and we'll bomb it to you" player?
Break it down further and you'll see a lot of YAC found in Austin's stats.

I'm worried about the lack of the play call and the reasoning. I think Roy Williams can be the deep threat. Heck, he only gets 3-4 looks a game anyways. Might as well be bombs. If he can't catch them, then maybe we need a different player. But we don't even know because it's not in the playbook. Maybe the staff already knows that answer and maybe it is personnel. I just know that our offense could use more explosiveness.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This offense needs a deep threat at WR. I'm still disappointed that we still don't take more shots downfield. A part of me wonders if it's just inability with our current personnel but is it purely play calling? Is it the 2 TE set formation? Are they afraid of Romo throwing picks on deep balls? They wanna keep him more under control? I dunno. Fact is... we don't take downfield shots.
It seemed like last year all we ever did was send 3 receivers on a fly and have a check down, this year its all crossing routes and no deep posts or anything. I would love to see a mixture of it.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Washington was playing their safeties DEEEEEEEP. We took what they gave us. Last week Austin caught a 50+ bomb against N.O. As far as our short yardage failures, why do we pull so much? Seems like we should man up and push them a yard. Kosier was getting abused by Hanesworth and I noticed our FB whiff a couple of times as well. I agree we need to mix in some PA passes too.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Pocket is right. Some of the clips they showed of how deep the safties were playing was unreal.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Washington was playing their safeties DEEEEEEEP. We took what they gave us. Last week Austin caught a 50+ bomb against N.O. As far as our short yardage failures, why do we pull so much? Seems like we should man up and push them a yard. Kosier was getting abused by Hanesworth and I noticed our FB whiff a couple of times as well. I agree we need to mix in some PA passes too.
It was more like a 30-35 yard bomb and a 15-20 yard scamper. But that's exactly what I think we need more of. Not saying we have never done it. Saying we don't do it enough.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Pocket is right. Some of the clips they showed of how deep the safties were playing was unreal.
True, but they didn't do it on every single defensive play in the entire game.

We need to cut loose at least 2-3 times a game as opposed to none. Sometimes you even get PI calls.

Not trying to make this a bigger deal than it is, because I think the offense has been effective with Romo keeping the turnovers in check.

But is that it? Keeping Romo in check and avoiding deep pass play calls?

Or is it personnel? Crisco is right.. With TO we did it all the time... this year? ...
Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I think you're looking at 'keeping Romo in check' the wrong way.

D, he's on pace for almost 4500 yards almost 30 TDs and less than 10 INTs. That is a monster year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think you're looking at 'keeping Romo in check' the wrong way.

D, he's on pace for almost 4500 yards almost 30 TDs and less than 10 INTs. That is a monster year.
No, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I could care less about player's having monster statistical years. I care much MUCH more about what's going on on the field and how we're attacking defenses.

If I looked at stats, the announcers yesterday said Jason Campbell was in the middle of the pack statistically. Do I think he's better than half the QBs in the league? Hell no.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I could care less about player's having monster statistical years. I care much MUCH more about what's going on on the field and how we're attacking defenses.

If I looked at stats, the announcers yesterday said Jason Campbell was in the middle of the pack statistically. Do I think he's better than half the QBs in the league? Hell no.
Campbell can't really be judged fairly in comparison to the rest of the league's QBs.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob I noticed you coming down on LD again. However you praised Koiser in those situations. Did you see the short yardage plays...one of them Koiser was pushed back 4 yards before Barber had the ball. Koiser is also trash in short yardage.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was more like a 30-35 yard bomb and a 15-20 yard scamper. But that's exactly what I think we need more of. Not saying we have never done it. Saying we don't do it enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtEuaMU_ppA

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Since Youtube is blocked here at work, what does it show?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

shows miles catching a 47 yard pass against the saints with like 3 yards of YAC for td, basically just video evidence of what he said.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote