Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Official Wk. 17 Hotseat Coaches thread

Fewer of them this yr than in previous yrs, lots of teams are thinking to stick with the status quo b/c of a down economy & NFL going into an uncapped yr & the all the considerations swirling around the new CBA & forthcoming Rookie Cap.

Here we go:

Eric Mangini -- Adam Schaecter reports that his fate is unknown at this time, rests 100% in the hands of new Browns President Mike Holmgren. 1st half of the season you couldn't find an orgn. in more disarray per the SI article in October or a coach with less job security than Mangini, especially after he traded his best & most disgruntled WR to the Jets. After upsetting the Steelers & others, will it be enough to retain the 1st yr. HC? Time's a'wastin,' in Cleveland.

Jack Del Rio -- Consensus is that he's gone. They finish seasons badly & weak, lost their last 3 games. Team is obviously demoralized & Del Rio seems incapable of rallying them. > 50% chance he's fired before the weekend is over.

Jim Zorn -- Also adios, Shanahan is reported to "very interested" in the job & Snyder's hefty salary that goes with it. When all your assts. have been canned that's handwriting on the wall in big letters IMO, but the same has happened in Cleveland with Mangini. Could be 1st firing & new hire announced, Shanahan is obviously in a position to take his pick of jobs. And any way you slice it this team is a mess, trying gadget & outrageous plays for the hell of it, & their fans are howling for somebody's head on a pole.

Tom Cable -- You never know with the carnival sideshow of the NFL that the Oakland Raiders have become, but IMO benching Jamarcus Russell for Gradkowski & substantial defensive improvements saved his job. When you start the season by sucker-punching an asst. & fracturing his jaw then put an offense on the field that sets new lows for suckage nobody would give a plugged nickel for survival has HC< but Cable seems to have actual fans in the fanbase & locker room that he didnt have before. I say he stays..... like candidates for the next HC of the Raiders are lining up on the right.

Jon Fox -- Word is that Carolina will keep him another yr. at least, & that's a good thing, I've met Fox & he's one of the truly nice guys in a league populated at his position with ruthless sharks. And that's good for the Panthers b/c he & his staff have scouted & drafted well in the past, & if there's a team that going hunting for a new QB, it's them. Sam Bradford? Colt McCoy? Tony Pike? Clausen or Tebow, well, let's not get too silly here, that's another thread....

The 2 HCs in Texas, Kubiak & Wade Phillips, seem to have salvaged their jobs & quieted their critics by putting their teams into the playoffs or contention for same. Phillips is going into a contract renewal yr. too.

And who s/b fired but won't be ? Lovie Smith (16-16 after the Bears SB loss, major setbacks this yr with Cutler throwing a lot more INTs than TDs, but he will remain & get his big raise), maybe Jim Mora & Steve Spagnuolo too....

What do you think?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres no way my boy Spags gets fired after only 1 year.

But good God, i hope he does. We'd scoop him up so fast, it wouldn't even be funny.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wish Fox would get fired so the Giants scoop him as DC, but I wouldn't mind Del Rio as the Giants DC.

Sheridan's gotta be gone for the Giants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i wish Fox would get fired so the Giants scoop him as DC, but I wouldn't mind Del Rio as the Giants DC.

Sheridan's gotta be gone for the Giants.
Del Rio runs Cover 2.

Cover 2 is poo! Remember!?

I wouldn't mind Rob Ryan.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Del Rio runs Cover 2.

Cover 2 is poo! Remember!?

I wouldn't mind Rob Ryan.
oh ****, I forgot that he ran Cover 2
BUT HE WEARS COOL SUITS!
I hope Zorn lands on his feet. He just got stuck with a terrible team
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
oh ****, I forgot that he ran Cover 2
BUT HE WEARS COOL SUITS!
I hope Zorn lands on his feet. He just got stuck with a terrible team
I think if Cleveland fires Mangini, Rob Ryan should be given consideration.

Coached under Bellichick, runs a zone blitz scheme, experience with a 4-3 front, experience as a coordinator, he's the only popular name guy that I can think of that fits.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would not mind Wade Phillips being the next Chiefs DC.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
him too.

he'd do wonders with the Giants defense.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

god damnit, zygi, why did you have to resign brad childress? he is by far the worst play caller in the league. if the vikes lose in week 17 and in the first round of the playoffs, i wouldnt be suprised for him to be gone, i hope so at least.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
him too.

he'd do wonders with the Giants defense.
Back off I said it first...
Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bruce Arians is on the hotseat.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tom Cable should not be in the hot seat. He's done pretty well this season, or at least good enough to buy him another season.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
Tom Cable should not be in the hot seat. He's done pretty well this season, or at least good enough to buy him another season.
there's no hot seat in Oakland, Jamarcus ate it.
Quote:
Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Del Rio isn't going to get fired. He just signed a fat extension two years ago and the team is too cash strapped to pay both Del Rio and a new coach. Not only that, but consensus was that the team was headed towards another top 10 draft pick. They've started more rookies than anybody in the NFL this year and exceeded expectations. He stays for one more year.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wade Phillips or Romeo Crennel in KC for Defensive Coordinator please!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can Add Marvin Lewis to that list i think if the Bengals are 1 in done in the playoffs he should be on the Hotseat. Plus his contract is up at the end of the year. Zimmer contract is up too and i think so one will give him a chance as a HC. I would like to dump Lewis for Zimmer if we are 1 and done in the playoffs

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
You can Add Marvin Lewis to that list i think if the Bengals are 1 in done in the playoffs he should be on the Hotseat. Plus his contract is up at the end of the year. Zimmer contract is up too and i think so one will give him a chance as a HC. I would like to dump Lewis for Zimmer if we are 1 and done in the playoffs
sigh... I really don't want to get into this every time a hot seat thread pops up. Mike Brown really likes Marvin Lewis, it doesn't matter if you as a fan want him gone because the guy in charge makes all the decision.

I just don't see how Marvin has any pressure on him. He's far exceeded expectations and basically is playing for a cherry on his cake at this point. I suppose it's very possible that Mike Brown wants to retain Zimmer and making him the HC might be the only way to do so (though you don't know, some guys just like being coordinators - ask Dick Lebeau if he wants to be a head coach again). But even so, it will be a very tough decision for this organization to let go of the guy who brought us two division championships this decade.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to have the whole coaching staff intact for next season. But with our luck, we're promised at least subtractions lol

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we keep Mangini and Ryan for next year. Seemed to have built a foundation and keep getting better and better.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cable is kind of on the hot seat, but I think he stays for 1 more year

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raheem Morris could also be fired. Although winning these past two weeks coupled with Freeman's improvement could buy him another year. Although it seems like the Glazers might want to make a splash and a big name coach like Cowher could be hired.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Raheem Morris could also be fired. Although winning these past two weeks coupled with Freeman's improvement could buy him another year. Although it seems like the Glazers might want to make a splash and a big name coach like Cowher could be hired.
The whole "Glazers contacted Cowher!" deal turned out to be completely false according to the Tampa Tribune.

Hiring Cowher would be a flaming disaster for the Bucs if they let him have free reign over the systems the team runs, anyway. We all saw how pitiful Bates' attempt at switching up our defensive scheme was; imagine how bad it'd be if Cowher tries to implement the 3-4 here. We'd have to dump most of the defensive roster and build from scratch. No thank you.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
crites09
Veteran

crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.crites09 is so money.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I suppose it's very possible that Mike Brown wants to retain Zimmer and making him the HC might be the only way to do so (though you don't know, some guys just like being coordinators - ask Dick Lebeau if he wants to be a head coach again). But even so, it will be a very tough decision for this organization to let go of the guy who brought us two division championships this decade.
I personally don't think Zimmer would be a good head coach. I have no reasoning behind it, just a weird feeling I have about. He is by far one of the best coordinators in the NFL and has been for many years. If he wanted to be a Head Coach I think he would have already taken that step in his life.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
YES YES YES A MILLION, JILLION, ZILLION TMES YES!!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Marvin Lewis has rightened ship and should stay. He's kept everyone out of trouble after it seemed like the Bengals were the thugs of the league. Now he is reaching everyone's potential on that team. He deserves to stay a few more seasons unless they collapse next season.