Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotts1 View Post
We have 50 million in cap space, we have money to offer, which is what most FA's are interested in......good to see your such an optimist.....
As of right now, the cap space argument is redundant as there won't be a cap next year.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

spending on free agents is the best way to limit our rebuilding. unfortunately we are not yet done rebuilding. for every $10 we spend on free agents, they'll probably end up only earning $6 of it. it's better to slowly build through the draft. we'll coach and be around a lot of the best prospects at the senior bowl and will be able to grab the players whom we know for certain can do the jobs we ask them to in our system. i remember having kalimba's contract and all the other stuff that we just got out from under. i kind of like where our team is situated right now.

plus imagine next offseason when we improve more, have less holes, and will be able to spend it alot better. plus if there isn't a new CBA then i'm sure the teams with money will drive up the price for the FA that are available. this is the temptation offseason.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
spending on free agents is the best way to limit our rebuilding. unfortunately we are not yet done rebuilding. for every $10 we spend on free agents, they'll probably end up only earning $6 of it. it's better to slowly build through the draft. we'll coach and be around a lot of the best prospects at the senior bowl and will be able to grab the players whom we know for certain can do the jobs we ask them to in our system. i remember having kalimba's contract and all the other stuff that we just got out from under. i kind of like where our team is situated right now.

plus imagine next offseason when we improve more, have less holes, and will be able to spend it alot better. plus if there isn't a new CBA then i'm sure the teams with money will drive up the price for the FA that are available. this is the temptation offseason.
I agree, but Ray Edwards is only 25, and a beast. He plays a position of great need for us. He is a guy I would throw some money at. Yes, odds are we won't get him.....I hope we try though.
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree, but Ray Edwards is only 25, and a beast. He plays a position of great need for us. He is a guy I would throw some money at. Yes, odds are we won't get him.....I hope we try though.
His age and potential are the main reasons I would pursue him. Maybe Avril could help recruit him here. It's a long shot, but he is one of the few free agents that I would actually pay, given our current condition.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm assuming that you're saying this under the assumption that a new CBA will be reached? Would you want to sign him as an RFA and give up picks?

Keep in mind that Edwards has also had the luxury of playing with the Williams wall his whole career, not to mention that other dude named Allen for the last two as well. How would he perform with us?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
I'm assuming that you're saying this under the assumption that a new CBA will be reached? Would you want to sign him as an RFA and give up picks?

Keep in mind that Edwards has also had the luxury of playing with the Williams wall his whole career, not to mention that other dude named Allen for the last two as well. How would he perform with us?
I'm assuming a new CBA is reached. At some point you have to sign a guy with potential who could be around for a while. Edwards seems like he may fit that bill better than most.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couple things about Ray Edwards...wasn't he already suspended for some sort of drug use? Watch how hard Minnesota tries to keep him because remember that he is playing on a line with Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, and Jared Allen.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Couple things about Ray Edwards...wasn't he already suspended for some sort of drug use? Watch how hard Minnesota tries to keep him because remember that he is playing on a line with Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, and Jared Allen.
exactly. not hard to shine bright with guys like that next to you

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I am under the assumption a new CBA will be reached. I would not go after any RFA's. Of course having those guys helps Edwards but it's clear the guy has the talent to be a premiere DE.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
I am under the assumption a new CBA will be reached. I would not go after any RFA's. Of course having those guys helps Edwards but it's clear the guy has the talent to be a premiere DE.
He clearly has the talent to be an above-average DE...I'll hold off on the annointing as a premiere DE until I see him play on a D-line that isn't all-world.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

Quote:
He clearly has the talent to be an above-average DE...I'll hold off on the annointing as a premiere DE until I see him play on a D-line that isn't all-world.
I said he has the talent to be a premiere DE. I would agree as of right now he is above-average.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We have 50 million in cap space, we have money to offer, which is what most FA's are interested in......good to see your such an optimist.....
Cap Space does not equal our owner enforced budget. Also keep in mind we have to sign a #2 pick.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see some of you are starting to see what I was talking about with Mr. Ray Edwards ... unfortunately it took the big stage of last weekends Cowboy romping to see it! I like his skill set, unfortunately so will every GM with cap room in the league who needs a DE now! He stays put in Minnesota though I bet, although he played himself into a huge raise with 1 great game.
The Jets are a great blue print. Drafting stars at C,T,DT ... ILB,CB, TE ... RB,QB ... and plucking FA's in needed spots like Lito Sheppard & Bart Scott in the off season & Braylon Edwards to make the run for the playoffs. FA is not intended to bring in 5-8 guys in the off season to make your team better. No way that plan works. Build slow through the draft (only 1 solid year of that in Detroit so far, combined with CJ & a few olineman?) and only bring in a solid player or 2 each year until they are respectable. RB & DE might be our focus points in FA, not EVERY position though ... DT, CB, S, LG that's what the draft allows Detroit to do. Chester Taylor & Aaron Kampman I would target if at all possible. That's it.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
Chester Taylor & Aaron Kampman I would target if at all possible. That's it.
I would add Dunta Robinson to that list if he's let go by the Texans. I think he's a player we could get to come to Detroit and would immediately upgrade our secondary. He's also young enough to grow with the core of the team.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I would add Dunta Robinson to that list if he's let go by the Texans. I think he's a player we could get to come to Detroit and would immediately upgrade our secondary. He's also young enough to grow with the core of the team.
That is exactly what we are looking for. Free agents who are young enough to grow with the team. With that said it is going to be so hard to convince them to come play in Detroit.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

way to hit 2,000 posts

and dunta wouldn't be able to ask for more money because PAY ME MARTIN probably wouldn't fit on the back of his shoes. with how horrible our secondary has been i can live with spending money on dunta.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
way to hit 2,000 posts

and dunta wouldn't be able to ask for more money because PAY ME MARTIN probably wouldn't fit on the back of his shoes. with how horrible our secondary has been i can live with spending money on dunta.
Thanks Man.

I agree, I don't mind spending money on anyone young enough with potential that could fit into the core of what we are trying to build. If we only get one or two guys that truly fit that mold this free agency I would consider it to be successful.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
I see some of you are starting to see what I was talking about with Mr. Ray Edwards ... unfortunately it took the big stage of last weekends Cowboy romping to see it! I like his skill set, unfortunately so will every GM with cap room in the league who needs a DE now! He stays put in Minnesota though I bet, although he played himself into a huge raise with 1 great game.
The Jets are a great blue print. Drafting stars at C,T,DT ... ILB,CB, TE ... RB,QB ... and plucking FA's in needed spots like Lito Sheppard & Bart Scott in the off season & Braylon Edwards to make the run for the playoffs. FA is not intended to bring in 5-8 guys in the off season to make your team better. No way that plan works. Build slow through the draft (only 1 solid year of that in Detroit so far, combined with CJ & a few olineman?) and only bring in a solid player or 2 each year until they are respectable. RB & DE might be our focus points in FA, not EVERY position though ... DT, CB, S, LG that's what the draft allows Detroit to do. Chester Taylor & Aaron Kampman I would target if at all possible. That's it.
Here is my thing about Edwards.... yeah he looks great. He almost devoured Stafford in our first game against Minny. Very active in the pass rush. But the question on everyone's mind needs to be, "How does he play when he no longer has Williams, Williams, and Allen to his left?" Is he still going to be as productive? Is he more a product this year of being the 4th guy on an awesome line? I could easily see another team (if he is UFA) going after him whole hog and seeing about half the production from him next year.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Here is my thing about Edwards.... yeah he looks great. He almost devoured Stafford in our first game against Minny. Very active in the pass rush. But the question on everyone's mind needs to be, "How does he play when he no longer has Williams, Williams, and Allen to his left?" Is he still going to be as productive? Is he more a product this year of being the 4th guy on an awesome line? I could easily see another team (if he is UFA) going after him whole hog and seeing about half the production from him next year.
You could also argue that there just arn't enough sacks to go around on that front 4. You can watch Edwards and see he has the very real potential of being an all-pro DE with or without Allen and Williamsx2. If he becomes unrestricted I don't see him going back to Minny.

I think we all agree you must build the majority of a team through the draft, but some of your team needs to be built via FA. You cannot wait to solve an entire teams woe's via the draft. It takes too long and doesn't even guarantee you will end up being good anyway. If we are lucky enough to be able to upgrade a position in FA with a young guy who has shown promise, we should do it.....Is everyone off the Kyle Vanden Bosch bandwagon now? I wouldn't mind him if he's all we can end up getting....contract within reason of course.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think we all agree you must build the majority of a team through the draft, but some of your team needs to be built via FA. You cannot wait to solve an entire teams woe's via the draft. It takes too long and doesn't even guarantee you will end up being good anyway. If we are lucky enough to be able to upgrade a position in FA with a young guy who has shown promise, we should do it.....Is everyone off the Kyle Vanden Bosch bandwagon now? I wouldn't mind him if he's all we can end up getting....contract within reason of course.
I think free agency is a big part of building a team. I think a good team makes one big free agent signing every year usually. I'm on the KVB bandwagon but I'm not sure if I would want him over Kampman. I think we need to come away with one of them.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think free agency is a big part of building a team. I think a good team makes one big free agent signing every year usually. I'm on the KVB bandwagon but I'm not sure if I would want him over Kampman. I think we need to come away with one of them.
Would be nice to have one of the two. Kampman would be very interested in returning to a 4-3 team I imagine.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Would be nice to have one of the two. Kampman would be very interested in returning to a 4-3 team I imagine.
Very interested in returning to a 4-3 and I think he'd like to play Green Bay two times a year. I think he felt disrespected with the move to a 3-4 and is not leaving there on good terms. I think Chicago will go after him hard as well.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Very interested in returning to a 4-3 and I think he'd like to play Green Bay two times a year. I think he felt disrespected with the move to a 3-4 and is not leaving there on good terms. I think Chicago will go after him hard as well.
I really think the Panthers will try hard to get him. For some reason that makes so much sense to me. They have no first round pick so they need to add players through FA

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I really think the Panthers will try hard to get him. For some reason that makes so much sense to me. They have no first round pick so they need to add players through FA
Well when you bring up the Panthers you're opening the Julius Pepper's pandora box. They have a difficult decision to make with him. They could franchise him for $20 mil next year, work out a long term deal, or let him hit the open market. What would you guys think about Peppers?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
What would you guys think about Peppers?
No way he would ever consider Detroit imo, but the Lions should avoid him like the plague anyways. Too old and will want too much $$.