Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Well when you bring up the Panthers you're opening the Julius Pepper's pandora box. They have a difficult decision to make with him. They could franchise him for $20 mil next year, work out a long term deal, or let him hit the open market. What would you guys think about Peppers?
Peppers would be way too expensive. Besides I remember him wanting to play in a 3-4, I can't imagine if he is a free agent him going to another 4-3 team.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peppers will have far better offers from playoff contenders that he would take before listened to the Lions.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind Kampman either.....There was a time when I would have done almost anything to get Peppers on the Lions.....
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotts1 View Post
I wouldn't mind Kampman either.....There was a time when I would have done almost anything to get Peppers on the Lions.....
Maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Kampman is a much better target for a myriad of reasons.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
I would add Dunta Robinson to that list if he's let go by the Texans. I think he's a player we could get to come to Detroit and would immediately upgrade our secondary. He's also young enough to grow with the core of the team.
YEah he could work out but why would Hosuton "let him go"? They are not exactly loaded in hte defensive secondary? Just a thought ... I like your idea of a FA young to grow wit the core. ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Here is my thing about Edwards.... yeah he looks great. He almost devoured Stafford in our first game against Minny. Very active in the pass rush. But the question on everyone's mind needs to be, "How does he play when he no longer has Williams, Williams, and Allen to his left?" Is he still going to be as productive? Is he more a product this year of being the 4th guy on an awesome line? I could easily see another team (if he is UFA) going after him whole hog and seeing about half the production from him next year.
One could wonder ... Although Bart Scott ripped away from Rey Lewis & that Blatimore D is doing just fine with David Harris next to him in NYJ! ;o) If we get an Edwards/Kampman & draft Suh/McCoy with Hill's year #2 maturation it would have the building blocks of a very nice Dline. Not Minnesota's yet but it would be nice.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
YEah he could work out but why would Hosuton "let him go"? They are not exactly loaded in hte defensive secondary? Just a thought ... I like your idea of a FA young to grow wit the core. ;o)
Robinson and the Texans have had disputes over the past couple of years over his contract. Houston ended up franchising him last year which really pissed Robinson off. I found a rea\l quick article from last February which sort of chronicles the rift a little:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6269456.html

So as of right now, Houston hasn't agreed to a long-term contract with Dunta. He even held out of their entire training camp hoping to get it. I doubt that Houston franchises him again, ergo the likelyhood of him walking is very high.

I should add that I believe that he would now be a UFA, meaning no compensation to the Texans.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

do franchise tags still exist with no bargaining agreement?

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Actually I think they let you use 2 franchise tags with no CBA
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Dunta is a UFA sounds okay by me to sign by Detroit. Can he tackle?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I just don't think that the Texans will franchise him again. He would cost $10-$11 mil at least, not to mention the further damage it would cause between Dunta and the organization. He either signs long-term or walks imo. The distraction he would cause by being franchised again would likely be reason enough for the Texans to let him go.

He's an ok tackler, but a great cover man. He still has plenty of Pro Bowl calibre years left in him.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was thinking if one of the first-round CB somehow makes it to round two (not expecting that to happen, but it could be, right?) well do we take one there, or do we pray that we get lucky enough to draft the top guy next year?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I was thinking if one of the first-round CB somehow makes it to round two (not expecting that to happen, but it could be, right?) well do we take one there, or do we pray that we get lucky enough to draft the top guy next year?
I'd like to see Donovan Warren if he falls to round 2. Arenas or Wilson in the third if he's not would also be good.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd like to see Donovan Warren if he falls to round 2. Arenas or Wilson in the third if he's not would also be good.
2nd round - Brandon Graham, DE
3rd round - Donovan Warren, CB

;)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
2nd round - Brandon Graham, DE
3rd round - Donovan Warren, CB

;)
I wish, but we won't get that lucky. Graham and Warren could both easily be taken in the first. Just having one of them fall to us in the second would be great.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

what's the dunlap situation sounding like these days? I know not too long ago there was some talk of him falling out the first...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
what's the dunlap situation sounding like these days? I know not too long ago there was some talk of him falling out the first...
Scott Wright has him at #18 on his overall ranking board..."Freakish physical tools and talent but is still raw and inconsistent".

I see Dunlap as a better version of Michael Johnson in this draft. Measurables are off the charts, but performance doesn't match up as well as it should. It will be interesting to see where he goes, but falling out of the first wouldn't surprise me at all.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Scott Wright has him at #18 on his overall ranking board..."Freakish physical tools and talent but is still raw and inconsistent".

I see Dunlap as a better version of Michael Johnson in this draft. Measurables are off the charts, but performance doesn't match up as well as it should. It will be interesting to see where he goes, but falling out of the first wouldn't surprise me at all.
I wouldn't mind him as our second round pick to be honest. Yeah he's inconsistent, but it's not like we've got any superstars at DE and Dunlap at least has the potential to be a star at the position.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't mind him as our second round pick to be honest. Yeah he's inconsistent, but it's not like we've got any superstars at DE and Dunlap at least has the potential to be a star at the position.
My only "burn me once" sort of reaction to that is I don't want to see Kalimba Edwards V2.0. Similar to how many felt about drafting Stafford after Harrington in a way. Having said that, look at Staff now...

Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
My only "burn me once" sort of reaction to that is I don't want to see Kalimba Edwards V2.0. Similar to how many felt about drafting Stafford after Harrington in a way. Having said that, look at Staff now...
Injured with a QB rating below 70? Because that's not a whole lot unlike Joey.

But seriously, I see your point. Thing is sometimes you need to take a few risks in building a team. You can't have only first rounders.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 01-21-2010, 12:45 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Injured with a QB rating below 70? Because that's not a whole lot unlike Joey.

But seriously, I see your point. Thing is sometimes you need to take a few risks in building a team. You can't have only first rounders.
I know you get my drift...Stafford will be big-time if we can keep him healthy and buy him time.

I know that it's not practical to build with only first round picks. The thing I loved about last year's draft was the quality of players we got in rounds 2 through 7. THAT'S where we need to hit and build off. Thus, a player like Dunlap in round two could easily misfire ala Kalimba, which would make me nervous about drafting him...I'd prefer a more blue chip prospect at this point in rounds 2 and 3.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see Dunlap falling out of the first unless he truly bombs at the combine and pro-day. If he is available at 34 I wouldn't mind taking him if Mayhew and Schwartz feel they can get the best out of him. In reality Kalimba Edwards and Dunlap are nothing alike....I don't see where you are drawing the comparisons between the two other than they both are DE's.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
I know you get my drift...Stafford will be big-time if we can keep him healthy and buy him time.

I know that it's not practical to build with only first round picks. The thing I loved about last year's draft was the quality of players we got in rounds 2 through 7. THAT'S where we need to hit and build off. Thus, a player like Dunlap in round two could easily misfire ala Kalimba, which would make me nervous about drafting him...I'd prefer a more blue chip prospect at this point in rounds 2 and 3.
AND BUY (DRAFT) HIM A DEFENSE!! ;o)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could possibly see Dunlap falling out of the first, but the talk of him slipping to the third that was floating around at one point is just silly.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sort of expect Greg Hardy to fall to the third. I don't think Dunlap will make it past the middle of the 2nd Round though.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

Yea I mean I would be willing to take Hardy at 34, but if he ended up falling to us in the 3rd I would be elated.

Suh/McCoy with Dunlap/Hardy would be a great start.

Last edited by cotts1 : 01-21-2010 at 05:32 PM.