Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
He wanted one last year also, but JA didnt like any of the offers we were getting. So Jones didnt go anywhere and played a pretty good year.
Alrighty. Thanks for the clarification.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:44 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
Who exactly are you calling ignorant?
Everyone obviously..

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
how is going to hurt him not to play? I guarantee even if he sat out an entire year he would still make bank the next off season or if the bears chose to franchise him again its another 7 mill to sit on his can

and at this point any team that offers to trade for him is gonna want to know if he will play so thus giving him the option to choose where he goes
Umm...you realize that you don't get paid if you sit out right? He won't make anything. And the Bears could franchise him for another year and he'd still make nothing.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say somewhere in the 20-30 range straight up is good value for Briggs. John Abraham got a first round pick last year, and he was basically in the same situation.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I say somewhere in the 20-30 range straight up is good value for Briggs. John Abraham got a first round pick last year, and he was basically in the same situation.
Agree, like 22nd :)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
I know it may/will not happen..But Briggs would look damn sexy in a cowboys uniform!!!!!

I would be more then willing to give up a first(22nd) pick!
Would he fit in the Boys' Defense?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Would he fit in the Boys' Defense?
ILB, He's (Briggs) about 10 times better then james
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
Who exactly are you calling ignorant?
Pretty much just Title Town, however, he's so damn ignorant I counted him 5 times.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Apparently Asante Samuel is holding out also.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Microphon200
Rookie

Microphon200 smells like sex panther.

Briggs is an idiot as well as greedy. He needs to get his butt on the field and play. He acts like $7+million is chump change. I hope the Bears franchise him again and again so that he can never play another down in the NFL again. I know it would never happen, but theoretically it can and it would be very funny.
Microphon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JA will not trade him unless someone is coughing up a 1st rounder. PEROID.

JA wasn't born yesterday.. A lot of people around the league thought Briggs should have gotten some DPOY consideration. This is an elite player, not just a good player.

37 + Briggs for #12 is fair on both ends IMO.

Briggs or Willis? Assuming Buffalo wants a LB in the first.. This is a pretty weak LB class IMO.. It's a no brainer to me.

Briggs is proven and still very young. The Buffalo connection is there. Last year on draft day the two teams made a trade together.

In the end I don't think Briggs is moved, and there's absolutely no way he walks away from $7.2M.

John Abraham who had serious durability concerns picked up a 1st rounder last year. You guys who are offering Mid/Late 2nd round picks are absolutely out of your mind.

When did that John Abraham trade go down last year? Was it around this time of last year?
BUSTKUNTLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hjit fit great in the giant scheme, him and antonio pierce are great friends.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't say that the Bears hold all of the leverage in this. You have to look at it from both sides. The Bears see it as Briggs can play and get his money or he can sit and not collect a dime. Briggs sees it as the Bears can trade him and receive compensation for him or they can let him sit at home and get nothing for him. I don't see how letting Briggs sit at home and not play for the Bears helps the organization. It's not like the Bears are in a win-win situation like a lot of you are suggesting. Guess what, if Briggs doesn't play than neither side wins.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm Marv Levy(i'm a Bills fan), I dont care what is on the board at 12. I would make that deal in a heartbeat trading # 12 for 31 and Lance Briggs. Briggs is the best player you can get in the draft. Maybe eventually someone down the road would be a better player for Briggs but the Bills desperately need an attacking LBer that can make plays in the opponents backfield.

I dont care if Calvin Johnson is sitting on the board at 12 i'm more then willing to STAY in the 1st round and pick up and all pro LBer in the process. Bring on pick 31 if Briggs is coming Buffalo's way.

Then the Bills could take a CB in the first round such as Revis, Houston or others and work from there. I would be a happy Bills fan if that happened.
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
but the bears can still franchise briggs next year and the year after (if i understand right). they could, essentially, tag him until he's no longer able to play football, meaning that if they don't need the tag and don't feel like whatever compensation they can get will help, they can let briggs rot on his couch.
briggs can retire this year and come back next year cant he..? if they did that they would be the most classless pieces of garbage on the planet .

Last edited by hugepunch : 03-12-2007 at 10:44 PM.
hugepunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
but the bears can still franchise briggs next year and the year after (if i understand right). they could, essentially, tag him until he's no longer able to play football, meaning that if they don't need the tag and don't feel like whatever compensation they can get will help, they can let briggs rot on his couch.
Yes, they can in fact do that. I still don't understand how that helps the team though.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He could also do what Branch threatened to do, play just enough games to be eligible for FA again, making them pay for him and not total production
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about the number 31 and briggs for the no.14?

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
no more and no less than briggs himself would be.
yea how is that? because chicago is nickel and diming briggs?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*shrug* if they don't feel that whatever is offered in trade seriously helps the team, they might be willing to sit on briggs. moreso because it's unlikely he'd spend the next seven years sitting at home. eventually he'd report to get paid. i don't think it's necessarily logical, but were i an owner, and i didn't think that i was getting anything of proper value in trade offers, i would have no problem sitting on a holdout player until he was no longer able to play.
The Bears would be fairly stupid to do that, he could wait a year, then sign the franchise deal. Then they are paying a ridiculous ammount for a LB whos been out for a year.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And continue to waste significant portions of their salary cap (which would increase each year) for spite?
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
how in the HELL are you going to call 7 million for one year "nickel and diming"? do you have any vague concept of what that places him at in terms of LB salaries around the league?
did he get a huge signing bonus?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
he's getting 7 million guaranteed for a single year of play. if he forces them to continue franchising him, he'll get MORE than he would with some backloaded contract. again, how is this difficult to understand? are you just being obnoxious because you want him on the giants and he just has to be traded because he said so and no other alternative is acceptable? or are you at least trying to think about this logically?
THATS HALF what he would receive in guaranteed money in a long term deal what dont you understand?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Quote:
they could also trade him at that point. if the value sucks, the value sucks. i don't see any reason why they have to trade him rightthisinstant just because they can get a 7th round pick and a roll of quarters for him (metaphorically speaking, of course).
Once he signs, can't he not be traded, I kind of remember someone saying that when Abraham was tagged last year? The salary cap ramifications would probably be big aswell.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
jblaze66
Rookie

jblaze66 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The reason he is doing this is simple, the possibility of injury. If he gets injured and misses a good amount of time this year, then no way will he get as much $$$ as he would have this year. Its basically as simple as that. HE wants to force a trade get a long term deal done this year after being a Pro-Bowler and appearing in the Super Bowl.

Sig by Kramer
jblaze66 is offline   Reply With Quote