Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze66 View Post
The reason he is doing this is simple, the possibility of injury. If he gets injured and misses a good amount of time this year, then no way will he get as much $$$ as he would have this year. Its basically as simple as that. HE wants to force a trade get a long term deal done this year after being a Pro-Bowler and appearing in the Super Bowl.
nicely said, he should have 14-20 million guaranteed. the bears are yanking this guy around just like lovie and rivera.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
and he can't receive this PLUS that money next year? again, your math is terrible. and, as was brought up earlier in this thread, do you think suddenly everyone will sign players for LESS next year? i guess you're right. next year, teams will only hand out reasonable contracts with small signing bonuses, and the 7 million guaranteed he would have gotten this year won't come close to making up the difference.

they should've traded him to the giants for next to nothing already.
seriously shutup, i could care less if they trade briggs to the giants. im fine with drafting a linebacker. my math is fine, its not my fault you no nothing about contracts. what if he has a serious injury this is football not golf, what then smart guy? hes not getting any contract buddy is he. no team is going to touch the guy. so take your smart attitude somewhere else im talking nice and your being a smart ass because im bringing facts and your pulling bs out of your ass. he wants SECURITY. not INSECURITY. why take 7 mill when you can get more then double that.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
Pretty much just Title Town, however, he's so damn ignorant I counted him 5 times.
Exactly what did i say that was sooo ignorant MJ?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
seriously shutup, i could care less if they trade briggs to the giants. im fine with drafting a linebacker. my math is fine, its not my fault you no nothing about contracts. what if he has a serious injury this is football not golf, what then smart guy? hes not getting any contract buddy is he. no team is going to touch the guy. so take your smart attitude somewhere else im talking nice and your being a smart ass because im bringing facts and your pulling bs out of your ass. he wants SECURITY. not INSECURITY. why take 7 mill when you can get more then double that.
I agree with this as well. Well not the shut up part and all that but the contract stuff..Sure 7 mill aint nothing to gawk over but when you see Adalius Thomas not get franchised and get 20 mill guaranteed that is almost triple what Briggs is seeing this year and thats gotta piss him off. I'm not saying he should be complaining about 7 million but I tell you if I had the choice between 7 and 20 million and got forced to take the 7 million I wouldn't be too happy about that either. Plus he's at least good for another 4 years minimum and probably a lot more so the money would be rolling in for this guy in his prime...yet hes stuck with 7 million and one serious injury means no more jack for him
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

plain and simple, we will see what happens. Tho id like to spite Briggs and screw him over for whining to the press about his own problems (especially since individuals such as TJ, and Lovie didnt cry NEARLY as much as this pansy), i hope we trade him for a pick.

ps- A good reason ppl should just genuinely dislike this guy is that he goes to reporters and pretty much says "I dont like my salary help me force my boss to get me transferred" when hes making top 5 money. Keep that in mind when we argue about him.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well the other day i heard a good point on NFL live,seeing how the avg window for a players career is somewhere from 10-14 years(less for RB's) and a lot of rookie contracts can be 4-7 years most nfl players get only one true oppurtunity to go out there and get that huge contract they feel they are worth so when it comes time and they are able to feel out the market they want that oppurtunity to see what they can get. I dont know just how long Briggs has been in the league, but hypothetically if he has been in the league for lets say 5 years now, he he has one long term contract to get his money while he is in his prime. And he wants to go out there and Get the most out of that contract because he would be a man among boys in this free agent market as it stands now he would probably get the most insane contract of everyone this offseason.

Now that doesnt mean i agree with the methods hes expolring to get that contract but i respect his reasoning if that is it. I just think he could of got at it in a more professional way.

Oh ya and every consecutive year a team franchises a player doesnt it make it much more expensive?? could of swore i read that somewhere...
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't understand how there is such an outcry for Briggs, but not for Samuel and Dwight Freeney, both of whom arguably would have made much more on the open market.

THE NFL LABOR UNION NEGOTIATED THE FRANCHISE TAG IN THEIR LABOR AGREEMENT.

It's their fault that the owners are now using it. I suggest that many of you understand exactly what all this means before you continue spewing from the mouth.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Football Fan smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
He could also do what Branch threatened to do, play just enough games to be eligible for FA again, making them pay for him and not total production
I believe you are correct.
Football Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
nicely said, he should have 14-20 million guaranteed. the bears are yanking this guy around just like lovie and rivera.
Lovie got almost 5 million per year and is now one of the highest paid coaches in the league. The Bears never even offered Rivera a contract because they didn't want him back. It had absolutely nothing to do with money.

Please stop talking about **** you don't understand.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres an outcry for briggs here because this thread is about him lol... but i dont like what hes doing he should man up and finish it out and he should be inspired that the team would be so willing to spend that insane amount of money to keep him for only 1 year that is my opinion...but i would understand Freeney/Samuels aswell if they had the same Reasoning, I just think players like briggs should pull a Clements and put a clause in the contract so the team cant franchise them thus avoiding all the BS
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
blkwdw13
Rookie

blkwdw13 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
According to Jerry (and take it for what it is worth) he said they would consider no trade offers.

I haven't heard this can you get a link to this for me.
blkwdw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:59 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
How is 7 million not good enough security? Yes it is not 14-20 mil other guys are getting, but it is enough to live on without worring about money for a long time if at all.
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBear View Post
How is 7 million not good enough security? Yes it is not 14-20 mil other guys are getting, but it is enough to live on without worring about money for a long time if at all.
Ugh...you don't get it.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:08 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwdw13 View Post
I haven't heard this can you get a link to this for me.
The only thing I read him saying is that Angelo will do what is in the Bears best interests, and it was their intent that Briggs would be a Chicago Bear next year.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:22 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Ugh...you don't get it.
I dont get him risking an extra 7-10 mil by signing the one year tender that says he gets 7.2 mil this year and playing a whole year without getting hurt? I do understand that every player has a short window on getting that big pay day. You do know that the Bears did offer him a long term contract last spring, and when he turned it down they told him that they were probably going to tag him.

You do know if he plays this year, he will still get his 14-20 mil guaranteed money contract next year. That is unless the Bears tag him again, in which case he will get a guaranteed 8+mil. That would be 15+mil in guaranteed money in two years, which is better then any contract he could have signed this offseason.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:58 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
and tomorrow, on the way to the beach or whatever, he could trip, fall and tear every tendon in his knee, thus keeping him from even receiving the money from the deal the bears just offered him. then he could just like, live on his friend's sofa as you (i believe) suggested he do earlier. strangely, regular life also includes the possibility of injury.

further, you're still ignoring the point that, as kbear just suggested for the SECOND time in this thread, briggs had a contract offer earlier that he turned down. it's not like the bears are secretly laughing because they're only going to give this guy 7 million (guaranteed) for a single season.

speaking of talking out of one's rear end.
From what he said (on ESPN), he loves Chicago and the fans but cannot stand the organization.

No amount of money will fix that for a player.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
From what he said (on ESPN), he loves Chicago and the fans but cannot stand the organization.

Just yesterday he said that the best case scenario is that the Bears offer him a longterm deal at market value. This is what I've been trying to say. It's all just rhetoric. He would play on the moon if they offered him a large enough signing bonus.

Quote:
''That's not to say I'm going to sit out a year, but I'm prepared to do that if it comes to that,'' Briggs said. ''There are a lot of different scenarios that could happen. The best-case scenario is that the Bears offer me a long-term contract at market value.''
Yeah that really sounds like a player that can't stand to be here.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*shrug* if they don't feel that whatever is offered in trade seriously helps the team, they might be willing to sit on briggs. moreso because it's unlikely he'd spend the next seven years sitting at home. eventually he'd report to get paid. i don't think it's necessarily logical, but were i an owner, and i didn't think that i was getting anything of proper value in trade offers, i would have no problem sitting on a holdout player until he was no longer able to play.
Sorry for not responding yesterday, I forgot about this thread. But I agree 100% if the Bears try and trade him. The Bears fans have made it out to be that Jerry Angelo isn't going to listen to offers for Briggs. If that is the case, then I think it is a very bad move. But, if they listen to offers and can't find anything that they like, then I'm all for them sitting on him. My point was that it makes no sense to to just sit there and do nothing. If they are firm on their stance about not meeting Briggs' contract demands, then I think they should at least look and see what is out there.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
and tomorrow, on the way to the beach or whatever, he could trip, fall and tear every tendon in his knee, thus keeping him from even receiving the money from the deal the bears just offered him. then he could just like, live on his friend's sofa as you (i believe) suggested he do earlier. strangely, regular life also includes the possibility of injury.

further, you're still ignoring the point that, as kbear just suggested for the SECOND time in this thread, briggs had a contract offer earlier that he turned down. it's not like the bears are secretly laughing because they're only going to give this guy 7 million (guaranteed) for a single season.

speaking of talking out of one's rear end.
hey buddy, i tihnk you just proved my point for me you ignoramus. if a player that has a tag on him gets his knee blown out he still collects on his years salary. that money is guaranteed. where as adalius thomas gets his knees blown out he already has his $12 million signing bonus he got up front plus the 8 million he was due to receive in increments over 4 years. adalius thomas has 20 million to live on the rest of his life, lance briggs only 7 b4 taxes. if he signed with the 49ers who knows how much guaranteed money he could have gotten. yea he turned down the bears contract offer earlier in the year. obviously he didnt like the deal. MAYBE he doesnt WANT to play for the bears...this is why the franchise tag is so bush league. it needs to be abolished. so tell me smart guy what would you rather have 20 million b4 taxes or 7 million bfor taxes, right now adalius thomas has 12 million dollars from the patriots in his bank account. to do with what he wishes, lance briggs 0.. hmmm g wiLLikers i wonder why hes mad.

Quote:
had that been the argument initially, this would've been a very different argument. you're absolutely right that, in that case, the money is irrelevant.

(but i believe in the glazer article he was quoted as saying something along the lines of being angry the bears wouldn't pay him? i'll have to go re-read when i have a spare minute)
Quote:
you'd give up 7 million for one year to live on a buddy's couch? you think anyone, realistically, would? if the bears do nothing, he'll come back, if for no other reason than that it would be financially stupid not to.
Quote:
your asking the wrong person because i value being happy over anything else. like i said i doubt he has the balls to sit out a season.
maybe you should go back and actually read.

Last edited by hugepunch : 03-13-2007 at 10:30 AM.
hugepunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBear View Post
I dont get him risking an extra 7-10 mil by signing the one year tender that says he gets 7.2 mil this year and playing a whole year without getting hurt? I do understand that every player has a short window on getting that big pay day. You do know that the Bears did offer him a long term contract last spring, and when he turned it down they told him that they were probably going to tag him.

You do know if he plays this year, he will still get his 14-20 mil guaranteed money contract next year. That is unless the Bears tag him again, in which case he will get a guaranteed 8+mil. That would be 15+mil in guaranteed money in two years, which is better then any contract he could have signed this offseason.
do you understand anything that i was saying lance briggs wants security. this is football there is no guarantee hes going to walk away without an injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Lovie got almost 5 million per year and is now one of the highest paid coaches in the league. The Bears never even offered Rivera a contract because they didn't want him back. It had absolutely nothing to do with money.

Please stop talking about **** you don't understand.
what are you kidding me? they didnt want him back after he produced one of the top defenses in the league? are you serious. wow. in case you werent paying attention to lovies contract situation they were trying to nickel and dime him b4 they signed him to that deal buddy. i tihnk your the one that needs to stop talking.

Last edited by hugepunch : 03-13-2007 at 10:37 AM.
hugepunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
my future me
Veteran

my future me hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I understand the need for an NFL player to feel secure in terms of money and location, but don't be naive in thinking that if accepts this tender he won't take out an insurance policy based on a deal such as Thomas or Clements.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:

this is common knowledge i assumed you knew this already this came out the first day when he said he wanted to be traded.

Quote:
had that been the argument initially, this would've been a very different argument. you're absolutely right that, in that case, the money is irrelevant.

(but i believe in the glazer article he was quoted as saying something along the lines of being angry the bears wouldn't pay him? i'll have to go re-read when i have a spare minute)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by my future me View Post
I understand the need for an NFL player to feel secure in terms of money and location, but don't be naive in thinking that if accepts this tender he won't take out an insurance policy based on a deal such as Thomas or Clements.
im sure he would, but a 20 million dollar insurance policy would be alot of money why pay that. im not sure of the costs of policys like that but some of my family members have 10 million dollar life insurance policys and it costs 4300 a month. idk the cost of a policys like the one briggs would have to take out but why should he have too.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spikes for Briggs?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
do you understand anything that i was saying lance briggs wants security. this is football there is no guarantee hes going to walk away without an injury.
I understood you. I dont think you understand how much money 7.2 million is though. Thats plenty of security. And all he has to risk is going one year with out suffering a career ending injury. Its actually kind of rare for a player to have a career ending injury. So odds are in his favor. And if gets tagged again next year he is looking at over 15 million in gauranteed money in two years. Which is better then he could have gotten in the free agent market. In two more years Tommy Harris will become a free agent, and yep he has the same agent, which means he will probably get tagged, and Briggs is then free to go collect another $20 million in gauranteed money somewhere else.

And dont forget, he can probably make more on endorsement deals in Chicago then he could almost anywhere besides New York.