Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Although I would add that the Great Schism occured at the same time as the Hundred Years War and the Black Death, two events which also greatly undermined the existing political/cosmological/theological order.

It's important tomake the distinction that while these events likely hurt the CHURCH, they did NOT hurt Christianity (so much as something called Christianity could really exist), it mostly led to people looking for spiritual answers outside of the church, not the absence of religion altogether.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Addict's feudalism answer is a good one, although a lot of scholars would argue there never was such a thing as feudalism (I wouldn't go there though, cause you would have to explain why).

Old 03-02-2010, 08:22 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Feudalism was the second era on age of empires 2. Right after dark age and before castle age. That is the A+ answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Feudalism was the second era on age of empires 2. Right after dark age and before castle age. That is the A+ answer.
I loved Age of Empires..i'm about to install taht on my laptop and play for hours on end.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Civilization is and always will be the best.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Civilization is and always will be the best.

best Civ game evar!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the first one I had also. I bought Civ 3 also but haven't played a new one since then.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Civ 4 is the best, hands down. Culture and philosophy ftw.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Do your own work tjunstein, you might learn something. :)
You make me a sad panda. lol.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm so glad to have BF51 on these forums. :)

All of us current history majors must unite!

History really isn't that difficult compared to other social science majors, though it is nice to 'share' each others' gift of knowledge whenever possible.

It'd be nice to keep this thread active for those that enjoy the discipline.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Civ 2 was the bomb. This one time I started on my own huge island. I got so far on that one before my computer crashed. Starting on your own island is the best, there are no competitors and so you can build up a strong area full of roads and trade. From there, I moved to the closest island and wiped out eveyone along the way except for Carthage, my ally, and Persia, who I was at war with. That was a tough war since I had to transport an army across to a new continent and then found a base city there. But I was doing pretty well.

I miss that saved game :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post

History really isn't that difficult compared to other social science majors, though it is nice to 'share' each others' gift of knowledge whenever possible.

It went the way of the dodo pretty quickly when I first started it. Rutgers has a good history department so I'm glad I was able to learn from some of the professors there. I'm also glad it's what I graduated with even though it doesn't help me get a job anywhere considering I don't want to be a teacher.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
It went the way of the dodo pretty quickly when I first started it. Rutgers has a good history department so I'm glad I was able to learn from some of the professors there. I'm also glad it's what I graduated with even though it doesn't help me get a job anywhere considering I don't want to be a teacher.
I am in the exact same place. It rocks.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Civ 2 was the bomb. This one time I started on my own huge island. I got so far on that one before my computer crashed. Starting on your own island is the best, there are no competitors and so you can build up a strong area full of roads and trade. From there, I moved to the closest island and wiped out eveyone along the way except for Carthage, my ally, and Persia, who I was at war with. That was a tough war since I had to transport an army across to a new continent and then found a base city there. But I was doing pretty well.
Civ 1/CivNet will always be my favourite, probably cause it was the first game I ever really played a lot. I still remember my save game that my mum deleted where I was about 10 turns from having a town in every spot possible basically(without overlapping grids) and the entire world irrigated and railroaded and one little Zulu town surrounded by tanks where Perth is in reality(they respawned in Australia). It was an epic adventure I was so pissed when it went bye bye...

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I don't know how much I buy that certain majors are really easier than others, you get out of any major what you put into it. That goes for college in general too. You can get much the same education at a state school for undergrad as you can at an expensive private school if you put the effort into it.

It all comes back to good Will Hunting.

"See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna staht doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certaintees in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a ****** education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library "

On a unrelated note, I'm reading The Prince right now. I nominate Machiavelli 2012.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
On a unrelated note, I'm reading The Prince right now. I nominate Machiavelli 2012.
Excellent book, it was a main source for one my essay's first semester, its a very insightful book for one that was written such a long time ago

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I purchased the book for a European history class I had last semester, for all that I never came around to reading it in its entirety yet. The political/philosophical tone of his writings really isn't my kinda thing, but I realize I could stand to learn much about where current governing principles may have originated from, as his book is still very analogous in some forms to current states of political conflict around the world. Machiavelli was really ahead of his time for a late medieval thinker.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Machiavelli was really ahead of his time for a late medieval thinker.
I don't know if you can really say he was ahead of his time when many of his 'theories' of government came from his observation antiquity, like much Renaissance thinking did. For example, in the Prince he draws heavily on the Greek and Roman methods of governance. Surely much of it came from his observation of contemporaries like the Medici but Renaissance= huge emphasis recovery of the classics. Especially for the humanists, which some argue Machiavelli was.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 03-03-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Machiavelli was really ahead of his time for a late medieval thinker.
I don't know if you can really say he was ahead of his time when many of his 'theories' of government came from his observation antiquity, like much Renaissance thinking did. Surely much of it came from his observation of contemporaries like the Medici but Renaissance= huge emphasis recovery of the classics, especially for the humanists.

I feel like people sometimes mistake the Renaissance for a period of only " new" learning when in fact it was largely based on the recovery of classical knowledge that had been previously lost to much of Europe(not the East they still knew the Greek) in the "dark ages".

they get smoked.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Hence Renaissance meaning Rebirth.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't know if you can really say he was ahead of his time when many of his 'theories' of government came from his observation antiquity, like much Renaissance thinking did. Surely much of it came from his observation of contemporaries like the Medici but Renaissance= huge emphasis recovery of the classics, especially for the humanists.

I feel like people sometimes mistake the Renaissance for a period of only " new" learning when in fact it was largely based on the recovery of classical knowledge that had been previously lost to much of Europe(not the East they still knew the Greek) in the "dark ages".
That was a brain fart on my part, Machiavelli was most definitely a Renaissance man, and not associated with any medieval period lol. You're right, the Renaissance does often suffer from these misconceptions, and I'm just as much at fault for it.

Let's then say he revived much of the previously lost or forgotten political theories. History is weird that way, it goes through its own cyclical revivals of classical knowledge. Even moreso in the postmodern era, and much before that as well, with the rise of archaeology in aiding historical interpretation and study. That's why I love historiography.

Last edited by 619 : 03-03-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Forgive me, I made a common undergraduate error ... :)

You guys can definitely teach me a thing or two.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Forgive me, I made a common undergraduate error ... :)

You guys can definitely teach me a thing or two.
I've had profs who I felt had a bad understanding of what went on during the Renaissance. Listening to my art history proff try to explain the Renaissance was downright painful. I think I have a somewhat solid understanding of the period because I had an excellent history professor on the subject. Not that I'm any type of scholar on the subject though, haha.

It's funny how much history you learned in High school from your basketball coach/history teacher and textbooks was complete BS.

they get smoked.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 03-03-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

The first thing I tell my intro students is to forget everything they "learned" in high school. I think the consensus in academia is that it would be better if there were no history taught before college at all.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
History is weird that way, it goes through its own cyclical revivals of classical knowledge. Even moreso in the postmodern era, and much before that as well, with the rise of archaeology in aiding historical interpretation and study. That's why I love historiography.
I would argue that almost everything is cyclical in terms of conventional thought, historians are just much more aware of it, because that's our job.