Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
On a unrelated note, I'm reading The Prince right now. I nominate Machiavelli 2012.
You would.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
You would.
What's your beef w Niccolo?

BTW, you know of any online databases for early Medieval maps,or slightly earlier? I'm doing a research project on early medieval England and the only ones I can find are from the university of Texas website.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 03-03-2010 at 12:59 PM.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here you go:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbookmap.html

Site that I used at Rutgers a lot.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Here you go:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbookmap.html

Site that I used at Rutgers a lot.
Ya I found that one already too, Didn't find quiet what I needed. Thanks though.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Ya I found that one already too, Didn't find quiet what I needed. Thanks though.
Quite? ;)

Finally getting out of the renaissance in World Civ. 2. Time to move to Asia to get caught up with the time period. Should be interesting.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Quite? ;)

Ha. I try to help you out and you return the favor by publicly humiliating me? SOB.

they get smoked.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The first thing I tell my intro students is to forget everything they "learned" in high school. I think the consensus in academia is that it would be better if there were no history taught before college at all.
just start your first day by beating a student upside his head with A People's History of The United States ;)

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather give hand jobs on the street than teach U.S history.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like U.S. History a lot. I found Latin American history to be the most boring out of all of the history classes I took. It might have had to do with the teacher.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
why do you say that? Not that I would want to teach it, but I'm curious why you wouldn't.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Too recent, too unsophisticated, too lacking in culture/philosophy/originality, too warlike, too isolated, too conservative, and more than anything else simply overdone.

I also don't think I could stand teaching a subject where everyone thinks they already know something. Most Americans are too invested in what they believe to be their history to ever really learn anything.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Well said, I've always had an interest in South America's history. I feel as if it's the one I learned the least about in school.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

If I had more free time I would learn Russian and learn their earlier history, but as is I'm limited to the Romance languages.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
If I had more free time I would learn Russian and learn their earlier history, but as is I'm limited to the Romance languages.
I took a low-level Russian history in college. It was fascinating. That country has had some crazy **** happen.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Too recent, too unsophisticated, too lacking in culture/philosophy/originality, too warlike, too isolated, too conservative, and more than anything else simply overdone.

I also don't think I could stand teaching a subject where everyone thinks they already know something. Most Americans are too invested in what they believe to be their history to ever really learn anything.
What do you think is the biggest misconception in Pre 20th century American history?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The first thing I tell my intro students is to forget everything they "learned" in high school. I think the consensus in academia is that it would be better if there were no history taught before college at all.
Well this makes a lot of sense to me. The first couple weeks of my first college history class was basically my professor telling us how everything we have ever learned is a misconception.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
What do you think is the biggest misconception in Pre 20th century American history?
Hmmm....

1) This country was founded as a Christian country (really anything to do with the constitution or the founding fathers. People love to attribute things to them they neither did nor said.)

2) Native Americans lived in harmony with nature.

3) Women never had legal rights.

4) The 13 colonies were important to the British.

5) Workhouses and public charity were sufficient means of alleviating urban poverty/abandonment/homelessness, etc.

6) Abraham Lincoln 'freed the slaves.'

7) Our heritage stems from the Pilgrims/Purtians

8) The Civil War wasn't, in the end, about slavery and almost nothing else.

9) That the concept of 'naturalization' stems from anything other than class and race.

10) Native Americans basically ceased to exist in the Eastern United States by the middle of the 19th century.

These are random musings off the top of my head, and I don't study or teach U.S. history, so take it for what it's worth.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Just looking over it quickly I diasagree with #4. I don't know your exact definition of importance but we did bring in a lot of money for the British.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just looking over it quickly I diasagree with #4. I don't know your exact definition of importance but we did bring in a lot of money for the British.
There are multiple perspectives you could approach that statement. If we're approaching it from a purely economic perspective then, yeah, I'd have to disagree as well.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
There are multiple perspectives you could approach that statement. If we're approaching it from a purely economic perspective then, yeah, I'd have to disagree as well.
Disagree with me or BF?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-04-2010, 12:18 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Disagree with me or BF?
Disagree with the prof. History is entirely based on one's interpretation, that's what I'm continuing to learn everyday.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
Disagree with the prof. History is entirely based on one's interpretation, that's what I'm continuing to learn everyday.
You're right but facts still can help. It depends what you're arguing.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You're right but facts still can help. It depends what you're arguing.
Yep. No better example than feudalism. As BF mentioned on the last page, there are scholars that don't believe it existed in the first place, while the rest argue over what is considered to be a feudal 'relationship' and what place and significance it held in society, as well as the feudal link of the king to a vassal, if it was even present at all.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Another major argument that I went through at Rutgers was whether or not the American Revolution was actually a revolution. I had many professors argue that it wasn't.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Another major argument that I went through at Rutgers was whether or not the American Revolution was actually a revolution. I had many professors argue that it wasn't.
What do you remember as shaping their stances on that argument? Sorry, I have very limited knowledge of American history. I thought about taking it in HS here in Canada, but never came across to it. Now in university I've actually attempted to and the course ends up being filled when history courses typically don't fill up so quickly.