Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

must...not...die

Consider the following:

1) Lois thinks that Superman is hot
2) Clark Kent is Superman
3) Therefore, Lois thinks that Clark Kent is hot

Is this a valid inference? Discuss.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
must...not...die

Consider the following:

I don't really feel like dealing with this with respect to philosophy. However, considering women have many factors of attractiveness, including but not limited to confidence, perception of wealth and status, and looks, then Clark Kent and Superman are two different personalities and have different amounts of confidence and wealth and status. The similarity of looks only accounts for one of the three aspects that i listed. The inference would then be wrong.

Off Topic, but Superman is such a stalker. He could have any job in the world but of course he must work with one girl that he has an obsession with and can stalk her every day of his work. It is creepy.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't really feel like dealing with this with respect to philosophy.
This is philosophy up the wazoo. Philosophy of language, metaphysics, ontology, logic...all there.

That being said, your answer basically arrives at mine: No, it is not a valid inference. I say that when it means for someone to think that something is the case, they think certain particulars to be the case about it. If Lois thinks Superman is hot, it is because of various factors you listed. Those factors are not present in Clark Kent. Sure, Clark Kent and Superman share the same real-world body, but in Lois' aesthetic, subjective world, which is what it means to think, they are different. This means that it is possible that Lois does not think Clark Kent is hot, making the inference invalid, a form of equivocation.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
must...not...die

Consider the following:

No it isn't. When you use the words like think then you can't replace words coming after it even if they have the same meaning.

Better example to prove why it's wrong

1. Unseen thinks that Alice Cooper is a woman
2. Alice Cooper is Vincent Furnier
3. therefore, Unseen think Vincent Furnier is a woman.

Clearly you wouldnt think Vincent Furnier was a woman
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This sentence is false.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
better syllogism:
a) Lois is attracted to Superman
b) Clark Kent is Superman
c) Lois is attracted to Clark

or as an enthymeme:
b) Lois is attracted to Clark Kent

this is what I get for choosing the Rhetoric track English degree...

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

+

=me finding the Philosophy thread day after Philosophy exam.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

I don't think anything in here was entirely helpful, but yeah, I or others could've answered some of your questions.

how was the exam, what did it cover, etc.

Oh, the syllogism I posted is relevant because I was at a talk about the nature of propositions and apparently some philosophers of language would claim that 1) is the same proposition as 3). I guess that means they think propositions are about extensions (the things the words pick out, in this case Superman and Clark Kent pick out the same thing) rather than intensions (the meaning on the whole, which is clearly different). It was a side point and I don't recall the argument. Anyways.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:

Last edited by The Unseen : 03-04-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bumpededed
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

why couldn't i find this

thanks

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-22-2010, 12:11 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 View Post
Philosophy huh? I major in philosophy.

I want everyone's personal definition of what it means to be human.
this is somewhat interesting, so let's go. mainly because the words in the question can be made to mean different things. I'll hold off on my own analysis.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-22-2010, 12:15 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you know who created a thread, just go to their profile and click "find all threads created by ___ ", it'll come up if it hasn't been deleted.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm gonna sleep on that question, think a lot and probably end up not posting anything here because I'll be all confused.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the question is really all that interesting. We made our first species classification the moment we recognized that there was us and other animals. We came to classify "us" as "human".

Recognizing that, I imagine that there is an astounding number of things you could list that make us human, from the innocuous to the important. Then again, if you phrase the question with emphasis on the "meaning" part then let's just cut out the human part. To ask the question in the first place is human. What does it mean to exist?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
To ask the question in the first place is human. What does it mean to exist?
Yeah, I think that's what I meant by different meaning of words. I was thinking about a different meaning of "be," a meaning which is hit upon by Heidegger and existentialists, and you seem to have the general gist of that meaning. They weren't concerned that we are, but were concerned with what does is mean that we are.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
better syllogism:
b) Clark Kent is Superman
c) Lois is attracted to Clark

or as an enthymeme:
b) Lois is attracted to Clark Kent

this is what I get for choosing the Rhetoric track English degree...
But the opposite can also stand to reason

1) Louis isn't attracted to Clark Kent
3) Louis isn't attracted to Superman.

So which one is the false statement?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
But the opposite can also stand to reason

1) Louis isn't attracted to Clark Kent
3) Louis isn't attracted to Superman.

So which one is the false statement?
1 is false, because she was attracted to Clark Kent.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't ask what makes us human. I just want to know what you guys think it means to be human. It doesn't have to be interesting to everyone, I'm just one curious cat.

But to know what it means to exist? I would say recognition of the external and any type of consciousness is existence. Must give this more thought.
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

What does it mean to exist?

That could mean
1) is there meaning to my existence
or
2) What does "I/he/she/you exist" mean, or better: What are the conditions that match the meaning of the phrase "I/he/she/you exist" so I know that I/he/she/you do?

The first is an age old problem, the second is I think what you're after. Are you trying to think of how to delineate cases of people who are mentally ill/vegetables and wondering if they could be said to be alive? Because that's just a question of being alive. And that's also debatable, maybe you have to be fully cognizant to be considered alive. To know that you exist is a given, see Descartes, Rene.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread doesnt actually exist

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My bitterness would probably push me to say that being human is having the ability to destroy every inch of nature's beauty for our own worthless comfort, because we're the only living creatures who are assholes enough to do that.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
My bitterness would probably push me to say that being human is having the ability to destroy every inch of nature's beauty for our own worthless comfort, because we're the only living creatures who are assholes enough to do that.
Beavers build dams from trees. Dams that stop up rivers and streams that affect river life.

Not trying to say you're wrong. Just saying them beavers are huge dicks as well.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

A species of anything is on average a speciesist. That, however, has no bearing on whether we as humans should be speciesists.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Beavers build dams from trees. Dams that stop up rivers and streams that affect river life.

Not trying to say you're wrong. Just saying them beavers are huge dicks as well.
Well their influence stops somewhere and is part of the ecosystem balance as they're benefical to whatever lives in marshes and swamps.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

that presupposes the current ecosystem with beavers. If there were no beavers perhaps the ecosystem would have been different.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote: