Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe I am alone.
Therefore you all are parts of a subconsciousness dream I do not believe is real.
I am not actually real so you are all part of my dream

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Digging up this old thread in hopes that someone can explain or guide me to an explanation regarding the problem of a reverse or backward causal relationship between freely made choices and God's foreknowledge. I understand the traps of foreknowledge fairly well, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where the problem comes in if you make the claim that because I Freely make a decision, God knows it, due to his foreknowledge. I feel that my actions are still free, and those actions caused God's knowledge that I would do so.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think what it comes down to is if God knows the outcome why give us the choice to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I think what it comes down to is if God knows the outcome why give us the choice to begin with.
I understand this position, but if reverse causality were possible in this one case, wouldn't that render the problem kind of pointless and make such a judgment fair?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is this thread not filled with Philosoraptor?
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You watch supernatural? Cas posed a great question to dean. "what would you rather peace or freedom?"
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh I would need to brush up on my medieval philosophy to really get into this. I think I wrote a paper on this once but most of this area of philosophy I sort of pushed to the back of my head when I got through with the class. I also may not be understanding the question right but what youre saying is that because I have free will this causes God's forknowledge of my actions? I guess the problem is if God is testing us whether we make the right decisions or not and we are free to do so but he knows what the outcome will be anyway why create us in the first place? I mean sure you could say you have free will which isn't effected by God, but if youre path is already known it seems to weaken the basis of free will ( the whole idea is your path isn't chosen but here it would be). Idk does that make sense I'm giving you what I recall the conversation going like in my medieval class so idk if I'm helping.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
You watch supernatural? Cas posed a great question to dean. "what would you rather peace or freedom?"
Are those mutually exclusive? I often associate peace with the idea of being free. Those are both very liberal terms that can mean a plurality of different things, but most oftentimes when people fight or seek "freedom", what they're truly looking for is peace or serenity in their own lives, free from the oppression of others that inhibit that peace.

God I hate philosophy. I spent all year learning about all your fun, wicked theories in regards to literary theory, and my god it made my head explode. Anything outside absurdism, existentialism, and nihilism has no place in my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I'm excited to attend school for another seven years on this stuff so back off APS.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm excited to attend school for another seven years on this stuff so back off APS.
Do you guys study all the super fun people like Lacan, Lyotard, Derrida, Baudrillard and Kristeva and such? Or do you guys tend to focus on more philosophically based stuff?

I'm curious, I've never taken a Philosophy class. I took Political Science, and that had alot of philosophy in it, but never anything really heavy.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

We read lyotard earlier this semester in postmodernism, he was one of the better philosophers to read but other than that no one else on your list. It's crazy how much he called about what was going to happen in terms of the universities and education in his post modern condition. My main focus since last semester has been pretty much all on existentialism tho. I'm in a heideggar course right now and it is ******* awesome.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
We read lyotard earlier this semester in postmodernism, he was one of the better philosophers to read but other than that no one else on your list. It's crazy how much he called about what was going to happen in terms of the universities and education in his post modern condition. My main focus since last semester has been pretty much all on existentialism tho. I'm in a heideggar course right now and it is ******* awesome.
Most of my interest in stuff like that stems from existentialism. Do you guys get to read fiction too, as examples? Waiting for Godot radically changed the way I view the world, it's about as much existentialism as one text could ever handle. I do love me some postmodernism though...We learn alot about Gramsci and Raymond Williams as well, constructing on meaning and so on and so forth
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

for novels/plays we read the plague by Camus, thus spoke zarathustra by Nietzsche, and No exit/the flies by Sartre who is my boy so I went out and bought Nausea as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
for novels/plays we read the plague by Camus, thus spoke zarathustra by Nietzsche, and No exit/the flies by Sartre who is my boy so I went out and bought Nausea as well.
You should check out some of Kierkegaard's early stuff on absurdism, feeds directly into existentialist thought. Really interesting stuff. Sartre has his moments, but Nietzsche and Machiavelli are obviously my favorite philosophers to read. There's something to be said for a man who believes old people should be ground up and used to fuel our machines because they don't contribute to the socio-political-economic sphere anymore.

Also, Nietzche's writings on "the Superman" are some of the most interesting musings I've ever read in any format.

But yeah, if you want to experience the literary sensibilities of philosophical movements, check out Waiting for Godot. You can read it in an hour, but my God does it ask some pressing questions. I love it.
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Eh I would need to brush up on my medieval philosophy to really get into this. I think I wrote a paper on this once but most of this area of philosophy I sort of pushed to the back of my head when I got through with the class. I also may not be understanding the question right but what youre saying is that because I have free will this causes God's forknowledge of my actions? I guess the problem is if God is testing us whether we make the right decisions or not and we are free to do so but he knows what the outcome will be anyway why create us in the first place? I mean sure you could say you have free will which isn't effected by God, but if youre path is already known it seems to weaken the basis of free will ( the whole idea is your path isn't chosen but here it would be). Idk does that make sense I'm giving you what I recall the conversation going like in my medieval class so idk if I'm helping.
I feel like I've squared away my concern with the implications of God knowing our actions in regard to salvation. My concern is primarily on the feasibility of reverse causation in determining God's knowledge in the first place. I've run into the problem that nobody seems to discuss the concept in this field.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I've read alot of Kierkegaard's stuff, it was interesting but he was my least favortie philosopher in my existential class. One of my first paper's I ever wrote for philosophy was on Machiavelli, I had a blast doing it. Nietzsche's superman or overman gets a bad rep for his sister associating that work with the Nazis party.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Nietzsche's superman or overman gets a bad rep for his sister associating that work with the Nazis party.
Unlike Heidegger who ****** up his own legacy with those wonderful people. I think it's absurd for people to associate Nietzsche with the Nazis, much like the swastika being stolen by them.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Yeah I also think it's absurd to excuse heidegger, a ******* brilliant man, for his allegiance to the Nazis party because he was politically naive. I've read two biographies on him and both authors tried pulling that card and my professor teaching the class went with it. Heidegger seriously has some awesome philosophies but I will not excuse him for being such a huge advocate of the Nazis party. I don't care what his intentions were.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Digging up this old thread in hopes that someone can explain or guide me to an explanation regarding the problem of a reverse or backward causal relationship between freely made choices and God's foreknowledge. I understand the traps of foreknowledge fairly well, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where the problem comes in if you make the claim that because I Freely make a decision, God knows it, due to his foreknowledge. I feel that my actions are still free, and those actions caused God's knowledge that I would do so.
This is just my guess but the idea of foreknowledge implies a preordained destiny. Free will, on the other hand, implies a possibility of two outcomes. So if the future is predetermined then free will can't exist.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
This is just my guess but the idea of foreknowledge implies a preordained destiny. Free will, on the other hand, implies a possibility of two outcomes. So if the future is predetermined then free will can't exist.
This is what I was trying to say as well
Quote:
I guess the problem is if God is testing us whether we make the right decisions or not and we are free to do so but he knows what the outcome will be anyway why create us in the first place? I mean sure you could say you have free will which isn't effected by God, but if youre path is already known it seems to weaken the basis of free will ( the whole idea is your path isn't chosen but here it would be).

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah I also think it's absurd to excuse heidegger, a ******* brilliant man, for his allegiance to the Nazis party because he was politically naive. I've read two biographies on him and both authors tried pulling that card and my professor teaching the class went with it. Heidegger seriously has some awesome philosophies but I will not excuse him for being such a huge advocate of the Nazis party. I don't care what his intentions were.
I think that Sartre's thoughts on freedom and responsibility of actions applies well to Heidegger's political leanings. No matter what the consequences of rejecting the Nazis was, he is as responsible for his actions as someone who set out to eradicate the non-Aryans on a whim.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
I think that Sartre's thoughts on freedom and responsibility of actions applies well to Heidegger's political leanings. No matter what the consequences of rejecting the Nazis was, he is as responsible for his actions as someone who set out to eradicate the non-Aryans on a whim.
Sartre's ideas on free will is actually what got me into his writings. His no nonsense stance on action is pretty radical but something I think we should try to live by.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Sartre's ideas on free will is actually what got me into his writings. His no nonsense stance on action is pretty radical but something I think we should try to live by.
It's really rather interesting, particularly when determining one's moral or ethical philosophy. I'm intrigued by the application of his ideas in regard to such issues as the banality of evil and moral luck. I feel that to some degree, particularly in the case of moral luck, this stance becomes problematic in application. While it's theoretically ideal to live one's life this way and thus appropriate when discussing existentialism, I'm not sure it can be seen through in practice.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Isiah 55:9
The human mind can not grasp the complete concept of eternity as well as pre-knowledge not meaning predetermination.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote