Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMeIke View Post
This is a late response so pardon me, but you have got to be kidding me. Posey is a good player yes, and he has the potential to be great. But as a huge Buckeye fan myself if you are watching as many Buckeye games as you claim you know this to be false.

Posey does make big plays but he also drops so many balls that could be great plays. A couple in the Penn State game alone last year. I do think he is capable of breaking through but he has a long way to go. He has made some great plays and been a big part of our offense this past year but he has to make the spectacular catches to become a Terry Glenn, David Boston, Joey Galloway, Santonio, Teddy type of player for us.
It's called player development. The guys you just listed above didn't have those types of catches as true sophomores either. Well, Boston maybe did, but he fizzled out obviously.

I'm not talking about what Posey has done already, I'm talking about his talent and potential. He does need to work on his hands, but aside from that, the measurables are out of this world, and he's a great route runner as well.

And by the way Sniper, I wasn't trying to imply Clarett WAS a saint in highschool. I'm just trying to say that from what any person who didn't know him personally could tell, he wasn't a problem child. He had no red flags coming out of harding.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 PM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's jam-packed full of mafia and aspiring head coaches :)
ToldLikeItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
And by the way Sniper, I wasn't trying to imply Clarett WAS a saint in highschool. I'm just trying to say that from what any person who didn't know him personally could tell, he wasn't a problem child. He had no red flags coming out of harding.
It wasn't a jab at MoC. Just a little reminiscing at Mr. Burgess' expense.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm probably going to regret saying this....

Told, are you going to become a Colts fan now?

Bob Sanders
Dallas Clark
Mitch King
Pat Angerer

Last edited by MaxV : 04-24-2010 at 10:33 AM.
MaxV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 PM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoa Max, Whoa!

First of all being a Colts fan would break my rules.
ToldLikeItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
Whoa Max, Whoa!

First of all being a Colts fan would break my rules.
Thoughts on Amari Spievey?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nc...ory?id=5134493

Quote:
Illinois safety Walter Aikens has been indefinitely suspended from the team following his arrest Friday on felony possession of stolen property.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Thoughts on Amari Spievey?
He is a good man defender, but probably excels in more zone coverage. He likes to play off his man, but can close quickly and well, where he is as sure of a tackler you'll find. He's also a pretty hard hitter and has great awareness. His biggest weakness is his lack of speed in coverage, which means if he plays up he has the chance of getting beaten by WRs with great straight line speed.

That's why some think he would be great at safety, but he's still an above average CB. I don't know what type of D the Lions run, but at the very least he should be a solid #2 CB right away.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...lineman-brooks

Quote:
Purdue has dismissed sophomore offensive lineman Monroe Brooks for "repeated conduct detrimental to the squad," according to a news release the team sent out Tuesday afternoon.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sooo this thread has been kinda slow lately...

Several rumors that the Big XI has officially offered Missouri, Nebraska, ND, and Rutgers. Mizzou and Nebraska will get in no matter what if they accept. They want ND as the 14th, if not Rutgers is next in. If both ND and Rutgers accept, they will look for a 16th.

Thoughts? It started from Mizzou's rivals site apparently, and a radio station in KC, as well as other regional outlets running with it.

I love the idea of Nebraska coming to the Big XI. I'm not sure how I feel about 14-16 teams though.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post

Several rumors that the Big XI has officially offered Missouri, Nebraska, ND, and Rutgers. Mizzou and Nebraska will get in no matter what if they accept. They want ND as the 14th, if not Rutgers is next in. If both ND and Rutgers accept, they will look for a 16th.

Thoughts? It started from Mizzou's rivals site apparently, and a radio station in KC, as well as other regional outlets running with it.

I love the idea of Nebraska coming to the Big XI. I'm not sure how I feel about 14-16 teams though.
Yeah, I know what you mean about growing to 14/16 teams. It's inevitable, however.

Not a fan of Big Least midget Rutgers coming to the BigTeen. Would prefer a school that's perennially good at at least one major sport.

I mean, I understand that tempting/offering a Big Least team puts the pressure on ND, but pick another school. Pitt or Cuse or hell, even Uconn (assuming they could get an AAU membership).

Also, breaking up the Big12 with NU and/or Mizzou is key in getting UT to at least humor the talks of joining the conference. They can't be seen as the first to jump the Big12 ship. But if the Big12 is inevitably breaking up/shrinking, UT would be very tempted make a move. Either to independence or the BigTeen. The Pac10 is two time zones away and they want no part of the academic taint of the SEC.

This stuff is fun :)
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post

Nebraska's already denied that they've received any such offer (though I doubt they'd say anything if they did). Probably more speculation getting reported as fact.

Or just wishful thinking on my part because I hate the thought of expanding beyond 12 teams at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Pitt in the Big11.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want expansion, and a championship game. I'd love to see 16 teams, these four and either Texas or Pitt added as the 16th.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

16 would be terrible. With seven teams/games to play in your own division every year, you'd play a team from the other division like once every decade outside of the conference championship game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Last edited by ironman4579 : 05-10-2010 at 07:36 PM.
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think 16 teams is too many to expand to. You would have 7 in your division and would get to play one, possibly two, schools from the other division. I hate the thought of anything more than a 12 team conference. It just seems ridiculous.

But, I like the addition of Missouri but don't Nebraska as much of a geographic fit, plus they value their history with the Big 8 a little more than Missouri does. I also think ND will turn down the offer as they usually do.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Big XII TV contract is unique and it does not work like any other conference. Half of the money are divied up between everyone in the conference while the other half are divided up between just Oklahoma and Texas.

Meanwhile, The Big Ten has the most valuable TV contract is the country by far, so Nebraska and Missouri would benefit immensely by adding those teams and the Big Ten would ideally get the St. Louis and Kansas City TV markets while adding another historically great program in Nebraska and bring 2 Ohio born coaches to the Big Ten in Bo Pelini and Gary Pinkle.

Rutgers has everything to do with Manhattan and trying to get that TV market for the Big Ten, which would be an enormous coup. I'm not sure that would happen, but that is definitely the goal. Meanwhile, there are 2 very divded camps ar Rutgers. One is pissed that Rutgers put so much money into the football program while the other is obviously happy they did and gaining admittance into the Big Ten would be enormous for both sides because of the huge amount of money that would bring in making both sides happy, so they would jump at the offer in my opinion.

Lastly, there is Notre Dame. Most people would say that Notre Dame will reject the offer and stay independent. I think Notre Dame will accept the invitation and here are the reasons why.

1. Money - Notre Dame has its own network in a sense with its contract with NBC, but their contract is actually worth less than Purdue, so the only way Notre Dame's football program is more profitable independent is if they make BCS bowls because they do not have to split the money with any other schools. If you believe that Notre Dame is going to be a yearly contender for BCS Bowls, staying independent might make sense. If you don't, then the Big Ten would be a financial boon for Notre Dame. That's the decision Jack Swarbrick has to make in this... and it's quite possible that even if he thinks Notre Dame can be a continuous contender, they might just like the consistency the TV contract would bring.

2. The Big East - At some point, the Big East is going to come to Notre Dame and tell them to either join the Big East in football or get your other sports out. Notre Dame's other sports are not all that great or marquee in terms of competition, so the Big East does not lose much if Notre Dame's not in it, but they desperately want Notre Dame football. If this happens, Notre Dame is going to pull their other sports out of the Big East and in that situation, I think they will join the Big Ten with all of their sports, because their other sports are not going to be independent and for the other reasons I mentioned, Notre Dame will like the money they'd get from joining.

3. Being Independent is incredibly overrated anymore - Notre Dame's luster, if it's not gone, has been damaged in recent years. Charlie Weis did the school absolutely no favors by marketing Notre Dame as a pathway to the NFL and his recruits treated it that way. Recently, Brian Kelly came out and was pissed off because the players thought of it that way and is trying to institute the idea that Notre Dame is the goal and players need to feel honored to be there. At the end of the day, the thing besides money that's going to talk is recruiting and personally, I don't think recruits care that Notre Dame is independent and they can schedule whomever they want, which is a giant load of crap anyway, because they have standing relationships with the military academies, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and USC which for the most part would not need changed if they joined the Big Ten. A conference title is a recruiting tool. Yes, the SEC Championship was a financial boost to the SEC, but it also helps recruiting. Kids like playing for championships and the Big Ten having a championship game would help Notre Dame's recruiting as well as the rest of the conference and continuing their relationship with USC (who manages to play Notre Dame every year and stay in the PAC 10), so that Notre Dame can still recruit nationally, but with a school like Rutgers, they'd also have a nice foothold into New Jersey.

If the Big Ten decides to opt for a 16th team, assuming these 4 would bring it to 15, do not be surprised if the Big Ten goes for Maryland. Rutgers is purely a play for the New York TV market and if they feel they can capture that, Maryland could bring the Baltimore and D.C. TV markets which would be absolutely enormous for the Big Ten. Between Rutgers and Maryland, that could mean another several million Big Ten Network subscribers that would mean big money for the conference.

And last but not least, the other reason the Big Ten is expanding this much is the Big Ten Network needs/wants more programming and 15-16 teams would give them a substantial amount of it.

Personally, I would prefer the Big Ten to just add Notre Dame, stop at 12, and be happy, but it's so hard not to love the idea of adding Nebraska to the conference.

If I'm the SEC, I'd try to get Florida State and Miami to round your conference to 14 and continue having the most dominant football conference by far. Miami has no loyalty to the ACC having barely moved there and if Miami left, why the hell would Florida State want to stay in the ACC?
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
Nebraska's already denied that they've received any such offer (though I doubt they'd say anything if they did). Probably more speculation getting reported as fact.

Or just wishful thinking on my part because I hate the thought of expanding beyond 12 teams at most.
Yea, I read this too. But I've also read that it's could be because the Big XI wants to make an announcement all at once with who would join. I think if Nebraska, who is probably the 2nd biggest name besides ND at this point, came out right away and said no, it would probably hurt the conference in terms of getting another top team to join.

I also think 16 is too many. I'd love to add Pitt as a 12th team (if not ND) and that's it. I think 12 would be perfect because it let's us have a championship game but doesn't make it too ridiculous. I mean think about 16 teams. 8 in each division...so you get 7 games within your division, plus say 2 from the other. That means you don't play 2 teams for 6 years (assuming you do 2 year rotations with home and homes). That's just too ridiculous, imo.

Also, I would like ND, but I kinda really don't wanna put up with their ********. I mean, no offense to the PSU fans here because they are great, but we still have PSU's older fans bitching about having to join the conference and how much it sucks. Imagine ND's fan base when they don't get the littlest thing they want...

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Notre Dame turns down the Big Ten it's only because its unpopular with the fans and the alumni. There's absolutely no money reason why they would want to stay independent anymore, those days are over.

Nebraska turning the B10 down? Psssh....

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Miami and Florida State to the SEC isn't going to happen. It doesn't expand their media footprint that much, they would be much more inclined to head to Texas and pick up the big targets from the depleted Big12.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Also, Miami and Florida State to the SEC isn't going to happen. It doesn't expand their media footprint that much, they would be much more inclined to head to Texas and pick up the big targets from the depleted Big12.
If the SEC can pry Texas and Oklahoma away from the Big XII, that's obviously the way to go, but like I said before, the TV contract is so ridiculously slanted in their favor, I'd be shocked if they left and if you take those schools out of it, what's really left in the Big XII that the SEC would want?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
If the SEC can pry Texas and Oklahoma away from the Big XII, that's obviously the way to go, but like I said before, the TV contract is so ridiculously slanted in their favor, I'd be shocked if they left and if you take those schools out of it, what's really left in the Big XII that the SEC would want?
I think the biggest factor is that many people fear that if the Big XI steals 2, or even 3 teams (unlikely), plus the Pac 10 supposedly looking to add a team or two from the Big 12, that the Big 12 might not be able to last.

So if Nebraska and Mizzou leave, plus maybe say Kansas, to the Big XI. Plus the Pac 10 steals someone like Colorado plus 1 (or all 3?) of Boise St./Utah/BYU. That leaves the Big 12 with potentially only 8 or 9 teams, while the Big XI has 14, Pac 10 has 12 or 14 teams, and the SEC with 12. The Big 12 could add TCU, but who else that would make geographic and financial sense? Maybe if the PAC 10 adds only Colorado and Boise, the Big 12 would have 9 teams left and could add TCU, BYU, and Utah to get back to 12. But the Big XI and Pac 10 are really leading the exploration in expansion, so if the Big 12 has to wait and see there might be no one good left.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Boise State is a joke. Seriously, it's barely even a college. I'd be shocked if any major conference picked them up.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Boise State is a joke. Seriously, it's barely even a college. I'd be shocked if any major conference picked them up.
It's a nice football program, but the population of Idaho as a whole is about 1.5 million.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I would agree. But I think if all of a sudden the Big XI goes to 14 or 16 teams, that someone like the Pac 10 will get desperate.

Also, in addition to the quality of the school, Boise St. really brings nothing in terms of a market or financial benefits. I don't really understand why anyone would want to take them. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone did. And it would be hilarious.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver