Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Please don't come into our thread and insult us like that. Let's look at common opponents.

Rutgers vs. Cincinnati (15-47)
Illinois vs. Cincinnati (36-49)

Rutgers vs. Syracuse (13-31)
Minnesota vs. Syracuse (23-20)
Northwestern vs. Syracuse (34-37)

Not much to go off of mind you, but I'm not sure where you get off saying you would easily go into any place and beat a Big Ten team. Last season you beat absolutely nobody worth a crap.
Well considering we've gone into Illinois and won that was an example. We had a true freshmen QB last year so of course there was an up and down season. The schedule we played was sh*t because Navy left us at the altar at the last minute. Syracuse was terrible last year and it was a disgrace we lost to them but I'm not taking much out of that considering our QB situation.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Using last year as a barometer Rutgers could have finished ahead of Indiana, Michigan, Minny, Illinois, Purdue, and Michigan State. Like I said middle of the road. Ohio State, Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin would have killed us.
What are you using as a barometer? Record? Because that wouldn't make any sense. Stat rankings? A little better, but still you need to factor in competition.

There's really no way to say Rutger (or any other team) would be better or worse had they played a full Big XI schedule last season.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
What are you using as a barometer? Record? Because that wouldn't make any sense. Stat rankings? A little better, but still you need to factor in competition.

There's really no way to say Rutger (or any other team) would be better or worse had they played a full Big XI schedule last season.
I'd say they'd be middle of the road which is average. A .500 record like most of the Big Ten schools had. The Big Ten teams play pretty bad OOC schedules like Rutgers did. The upcoming schedules they play this year is pretty bad also.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd say they'd be middle of the road which is average. A .500 record like most of the Big Ten schools had. The Big Ten teams play pretty bad OOC schedules like Rutgers did. The upcoming schedules they play this year is pretty bad also.
Yeah but they play a Big 10 schedule instead of a Big East schedule. Which of course makes a difference. And I wouldn't even compare their OOC scheules anyway. Purdue for instance played Oregon and ND. Instantly more credible than 1-AA schools.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 05-11-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Yeah but they play a Big 10 schedule instead of a Big East schedule. Which of course makes a difference.
Absolutely it does, better than the Big East but still behind some other conferences.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh, I just meant what are you using as a barometer for your guess. Are you saying just based on having watched Rutgers and other teams, or are you using record, common opponents, statistical rankings, etc.

But I disagree with your belief that Rutgers could probably walk into some Big XI stadiums and expect to win. The only places I'd say would apply to would be Indiana, Northwestern, and Illinois, and Northwestern probably would have beat Rutgers last year. All the middle of the pack Big XI teams plus Michigan have pretty tough environments for visitors, and teams shouldn't walk in expecting to win or be challenged.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Oh, I just meant what are you using as a barometer for your guess. Are you saying just based on having watched Rutgers and other teams, or are you using record, common opponents, statistical rankings, etc.

But I disagree with your belief that Rutgers could probably walk into some Big XI stadiums and expect to win. The only places I'd say would apply to would be Indiana, Northwestern, and Illinois, and Northwestern probably would have beat Rutgers last year. All the middle of the pack Big XI teams plus Michigan have pretty tough environments for visitors, and teams shouldn't walk in expecting to win or be challenged.
Well I don't think they would go in and just blow these teams out of the water, it would be close. I just think they could do it. As for what I was using just a little bit of everything. I'll have to follow the Big Ten even more closely this upcoming season considering I think this definitely happens.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well I don't think they would go in and just blow these teams out of the water, it would be close. I just think they could do it. As for what I was using just a little bit of everything. I'll have to follow the Big Ten even more closely this upcoming season considering I think this definitely happens.
Yea, I definitely think it would be competitive. I know that's what you meant. That's how it is for pretty much every Big XI team outside of like Indiana and Illinois. Even Michigan, they weren't good and going into the Big House is still something to be seen as an uphill battle.

And don't get me wrong, I've liked Rutgers unofficially and not to attached since the mid 90s when I'd play with them in football games. So, I definitely enjoyed seeing them start to succeed and build the program, and Schiano is a great coach and doing a great job.

Personally, I'd say Rutgers would have been 7-5 or 6-6 depending on how their schedule played out last year in a hypothetical 14 team expanded conference schedule. I don't really see them getting more wins that that, and like you said, they'd probably have finished at like 7-10 in the conference.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah that's how I would have seen it last year. We had young players all over the place at important spots and played a crappy schedule. I think Rutgers fits the Big Ten persona well though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yeah that's how I would have seen it last year. We had young players all over the place at important spots and played a crappy schedule. I think Rutgers fits the Big Ten persona well though.
Agreed.

I just think geography is the biggest concern. Like BF said, there were people even pissed when we added PSU because they thought it was too far East.

Another thing, which I have absolutely no knowledge of outside of basketball, is how the rest of Rutgers athletics is? I mean, I wouldn't put it past the Big XI, but it would be an awfully huge leap if all they were adding Rutgers was for football and their academics. I mean, we already have Northwestern. Besides women's bball, how is Rutgers in other sports?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rutgers is decent in men's wrestling. They suck at almost everything else. They would be the worst program in the Big Ten in terms of the champions cup, which is probably the biggest concern.

That said, with B10 money, they could improve their athletics the same way Missouri could improve its academics.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Agreed.

I just think geography is the biggest concern. Like BF said, there were people even pissed when we added PSU because they thought it was too far East.

Another thing, which I have absolutely no knowledge of outside of basketball, is how the rest of Rutgers athletics is? I mean, I wouldn't put it past the Big XI, but it would be an awfully huge leap if all they were adding Rutgers was for football and their academics. I mean, we already have Northwestern. Besides women's bball, how is Rutgers in other sports?
Soccer they are usually pretty good in both mens and womens. Basketball is a mess but the move to Big Ten might help us there since it's an easier basketball conference. Baseball usually makes it to the tourney but at worst is usually a .500 team. Wrestling is really coming into its own and will become a major program. They finished Top 25 this year and have really established themselves as an up and coming program. Lacrosse sucks. That's what I know off the top of my head.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-11-2010, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Rutgers is decent in men's wrestling. They suck at almost everything else. They would be the worst program in the Big Ten in terms of the champions cup, which is probably the biggest concern.

That said, with B10 money, they could improve their athletics the same way Missouri could improve its academics.
It is definitely the biggest concern. The extra money should help though like you said. I'm not sure how other Big Ten teams are in the other sports so I can't really compare.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Yea, I really think that this is what the conference is going for. Picking schools based on potential to improve/grow if given enough support and funding.

I definitely could see Rutgers building a very solid athletic program. But it definitely will take some time, and the immediate return might be pretty ugly in the big picture.

Also, I've vaguely read some rumors, but there's also a lot being talked about with Big 12 teams having to buy out from the conference, and that also new members won't immediately have the same financial returns as existing schools. Kind of like a probation period or something. I don't know if the 2nd part is true or would effect said financial support, but does anyone know if the Big East has a similar clause/buyout?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah Rutgers would have to pay a hefty sum to get out of the Big East. I thought Missouri and Nebraska would have the same status as the other Big Ten members but Rutgers would have the probationary period.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Soccer they are usually pretty good in both mens and womens. Basketball is a mess but the move to Big Ten might help us there since it's an easier basketball conference. Baseball usually makes it to the tourney but at worst is usually a .500 team. Wrestling is really coming into its own and will become a major program. They finished Top 25 this year and have really established themselves as an up and coming program. Lacrosse sucks. That's what I know off the top of my head.
Ah yes, I forgot about wrestling. Well, the Big XI is the elite wrestling conference, so that would be a good fit for Rutgers if they keep growing.

As for Lacrosse, I'm not sure how that would work. I don't think many, if any, Big XI schools field teams.

But I definitely think the Big XI name and financial support could really improve most programs.

Quote:
Yeah Rutgers would have to pay a hefty sum to get out of the Big East. I thought Missouri and Nebraska would have the same status as the other Big Ten members but Rutgers would have the probationary period.
Yea, I don't know what the rules or conditions will be. It was just rumors, so was wondering if anyone here has heard anything similar/different.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This topic deserved its own thread.....

If no one has mentioned this before, it seems like the Big 10 is poaching schools from the Big 12, Rutgers & ND. They are obviously jealous of the revenue generated by other conferences' exclusively TV contracts, like the SEC contract with CBS. It seems very one sided, big win for the Big 10 or 11 or whatever th they are, & a big lose for the Big 12. And the NCAA allows this to happen? They're treating conferences like private clubs where members can come & go as they pls.

They're going after the best fits academically with Rutgers & ND the obvious clue there. Mizzou would make more $ on the split, while ND would lose $, makes me wonder if Penn St. would join if offered this wk. instead when they made it the Big 11.

Last edited by LizardState : 05-11-2010 at 02:46 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ummm......what?

The Big Ten makes more money than the SEC, and more than Notre Dame as well.

We're jealous of the talent in the SEC, but nobody can match us $ wise.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
If no one has mentioned this before, it seems like the Big 10 is poaching schools from the Big 12 & ND. They are obviously jealous of the revenue generated by other conferences' exclusively TV contracts, like the SEC contract with CBS.

They're going after the best fits academically with Rutgers & ND the obvious clue there. Mizzou would make more $ on the split, while ND would lose $, makes me wonder if Penn St. would join if offered this wk. instead when they made it the Big 11.
Yea, the Big XI already makes a ton more money overall than any other conference. And by a ton, I mean it isn't even remotely close.

I highly doubt they are jealous of other conference's TV contracts, especially when they have their own network that pretty much everyone gets and carries all their sports, not just football (idk if SEC-CBS is for basketball as well, but the point remains).

And idk what you're thinking, but ND would gain money, and PSU has absolutely gained revenue since joining. I have no idea what the rationale to this post was...

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
I have no idea what the rationale to this post was...
There is none, there never is. Lizardstate is insane.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
There is none, there never is. Lizardstate is insane.
I mean, I figured it was to bring up somehow that the SEC was better and that the Big XI is jealous. But in actuallity, other than football, there's really nothing even close to be jealous of. The Big XI trumps the SEC in most every conceivable way, outside of a handful of sports.

At least come in with a legit or well prepared argument. Don't just talk out your ass about how ND would lose money, when it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about since ND would gain money.

Or the fact that a conference with it's own national TV network is jealous of a one sport TV deal.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Not to mention that Big Ten universities actually do worthwhile research.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Or the fact that a conference with it's own national TV network is jealous of a one sport TV deal.
Is the national TV network a big deal though? Most places don't get the network on basic cable. You would have to purchase what some would think is an uneccasary sports package to get it. I have a friend who buys the package on a per day basis for when Penn State football is on the network and not ABC, ESPN, etc. The next day he cancels it.

Enough of the games are on the ABC family of networks anyway.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Is the national TV network a big deal though?
Yes. The Big Ten Network is carried on every basic cable package in the Midwest. They get $1 per month from every cable subscriber on those packages. Add up every person in the Midwest that has a cable subscription, times that by 12, and that's how much money the network is worth to the Big Ten every year.

Being a Yankee fan, you should know how this works.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Then throw in NJ and some of NYC if this happens and you see why the Big Ten wants Rutgers.

sig by BoneKrusher