Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-16-2010, 12:35 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It probably depends a lot on the offensive system they put in place.

If it's the spread, he's definitely the quarterback without question.

Otherwise here's the problem you're faced with:

-You know he's a good receiver. You don't know if he's a good quarterback. But quarterback is obviously a much more important position.
-Some of it also depends on Moses Alipate, but Marquis wants to play quarterback.

About time we talk about something other than Michigan and Iowa around here. :)

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can't get any bigger names than the ones you listed? I'd like to think Maturi would get a more established name after he took a relative no name in Brewster during the last hiring.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What big names would you have in mind?

I think they would look at Mark Richt if Georgia fired him, but I don't think they do.

-Troy Calhoun would be a hell of a hire, actually. Tennessee sniffed around in the wake of Kiffen-gate and he turned them down (although I think he turned them down knowing they probably wouldn't offer). He's got Air Force in the top 25 this year. ******* Air Force.

-Al Golden has been mentioned by some as a possible replacement at Penn State. He'll be coaching in the Big Ten or ACC in the next few years. Ask a Temple fan how much they love Al Golden.

-McCarney would be a letdown. He had some nice years at Iowa State, but overall his record sucked and he's a retread.

-Don't know anything about Mike Markuson other than he's from Minnesota and has worked with Houston Nutt forever. I'm guessing they would interview him to interview a local guy but he'd have to bowl them over to be taken seriously.

The one advantage Minnesota will have is that there probably won't be very many big openings next year, especially if Paterno doesn't retire.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
What big names would you have in mind?

I think they would look at Mark Richt if Georgia fired him, but I don't think they do.

-Troy Calhoun would be a hell of a hire, actually. Tennessee sniffed around in the wake of Kiffen-gate and he turned them down (although I think he turned them down knowing they probably wouldn't offer). He's got Air Force in the top 25 this year. ******* Air Force.

-Al Golden has been mentioned by some as a possible replacement at Penn State. He'll be coaching in the Big Ten or ACC in the next few years. Ask a Temple fan how much they love Al Golden.

-McCarney would be a letdown. He had some nice years at Iowa State, but overall his record sucked and he's a retread.

-Don't know anything about Mike Markuson other than he's from Minnesota and has worked with Houston Nutt forever. I'm guessing they would interview him to interview a local guy but he'd have to bowl them over to be taken seriously.

The one advantage Minnesota will have is that there probably won't be very many big openings next year, especially if Paterno doesn't retire.
Iowa State is an absolutely awful program. McCarney made them mediocre and that alone is an impressive accomplishment.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know about any bigger names that are available right now. Just think Maturi would want to make a hire that would get the fan base a little more excited, although Tubby Smith's salary probably hinders that somewhat. What about a guy like Gus Malzahn from Auburn? Lots of Miami fans have been hyping him up in the event that Randy Shannon gets axed.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I think Calhoun and Golden are bigger hires than Malzahn. Malzahn has no head coaching experience.

It's not about exciting the fans. The Gophers need someone who knows how to lead a team.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I think Calhoun and Golden are bigger hires than Malzahn. Malzahn has no head coaching experience.

It's not about exciting the fans. The Gophers need someone who knows how to lead a team.
Yeah, I wasn't calling him a big name, just a thought. Should have started a new paragraph.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:03 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, there's no reason Minnesota should be worrying about exciting the fan base. That should barely, if at all, factor into the decision. They need to focus on hiring someone that will establish a good fundamentals program, and that can, you know, actually coach.

Funny thing about sports, you don't need a personality to create excitement. Winning takes care of that. Look at Iowa.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:07 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

That's not what I think they need, it's what I think Maturi will want.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you think the Gophers would consider someone like Kent Austin, the former OC at Ole Miss? I think he's the head coach at Cornell or something now. He doesn't have much coaching experience, but he did work wonders with Mississippi's offense in '08 and '09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Last edited by ironman4579 : 10-16-2010 at 01:14 PM.
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
That's not what I think they need, it's what I think Maturi will want.
Ah, well there lies the problem. In that regard, I agree with you. I have little faith Maturi, with the choice between flash and substance, would pick substance.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I could care less about this game, but that's a ******* HORRIBLE call.....

Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if Al Golden wants the job, I'd give it to him in a heartbeat.

I have a feeling he will have a stint like Lou Holtz did, but if he get them on the right path, the next guy can continue the work he's started and make them a consistent player in the Big Ten
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:38 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ohio State 31 Wisconsin 17
Old 10-16-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have no chance :(

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you kidding me? We have trouble all the time in your house. It's already been said by 2038358 people but it's true. I'm scurrrred.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember Pryor having to get a last minute touchdown last time we were at Wisconsin. Should be a great game, I'm expecting both teams to really show up and play.

Hopefully Pryor can show something against a quality defense.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Well, this didn't take long. Just for you, ironman...

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/michigan...ating-michigan

Quote:
I don'tmind when we lose to a better team, because the better team usually DOES win. That wasn't the case today though. Mental errors, **** they'll kill you and they sure did today. This team will be hungry when they walk into Pennsylvania in a couple weeks.
I'm just wondering at what point do all these turnovers, penalties, and other mental mistakes, especially against actual defenses, become considered the norm and not the exception. Unfortunately with Mgoblog, the answer is probably never. Michigan can average 5 turnovers a game, and they would still say that's why they lost one specific game.

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 10-16-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
We have no chance :(
I was SO wrong!

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Well, this didn't take long. Just for you, ironman...

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/michigan...ating-michigan

I'm just wondering at what point do all these turnovers, penalties, and other mental mistakes, especially against actual defenses, become considered the norm and not the exception. Unfortunately with Mgoblog, the answer is probably never. Michigan can average 5 turnovers a game, and they would still say that's why they lost one specific game.
Well, after the **** defensive performance against MSU, someone posted a thread about how terrible the defense was and that Rich Rod is a glorified offensive coordinator who doesn't care about the defense and it shows. Someone posted a reply saying

"Calm down, it's only one game."

As if the defense just had one bad game but had been awesome for the last 3 years. But that's Mgo for you. Until Brian says the defense sucks, and until Brian says the mental errors have to start falling on Rod and the coaching staff, and until Brian says it's time for Rod to be fired, the lemmings will keep drinking the kool-aid and negging anyone with even a slightly negative opinion into oblivion.

Quote:

Last edited by ironman4579 : 10-16-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3-9
5-7
5-7

13-23, 2-7 vs. major rivals. Here's your pink slip, Mr. Rodriguez. I'm sorry I ever defended you.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:32 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_16358321?source=rss

Brewster fired, will coach rest of season
Old 10-16-2010, 11:38 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

If I had the ability to time travel, I would go back and punch Rich Rodriguez's mother in the uterus.

Quote:

Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
If I had the ability to time travel, I would go back and punch Rich Rodriguez's mother in the uterus.
I've wanted to rep you so much today. This one of those times. But I must spread around some reputation before doing so.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:56 AM    (permalink
aLARGEtopHat
Rookie

aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aLARGEtopHat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Worth looking at. Correlation causation there would be a lot to regress here. Not sure what you can really draw from this as it can be spun 50 ways.

Margin rank/ Turnovers/ Turnover Rank

Michigan
2010: 53rd | 8 est. 14 atm | 29th
2009: 115th | 28 | 99th
2008: 104th | 30 | 104th

WVU
2007: 9th | 21 | 34th
2006: 25th | 17 | 11th
2005: 7th | 17 | 14th
2004: 46th | 22 | 56th
2003: 4th | 20 | 31st

WVU usually had pretty highly rated defenses by the numbers and 2 or 3 top 15 scoring defenses if I recall correctly.

If anything I think Rodriguez offense puts players in a better position to not turn the ball over in comparison to a normal system, thus helping younger players. And fumbling is just a random thing from player to player. You cant tell me Carr was better coaching ball carrying since he had Mike Hart, when he also had Kevin Grady.

Michigan obviously could of beat Iowa this afternoon if they had limited mistakes, but they couldn't and they played right into Iowa's game plan. Iowa in the first half was playing great bend but dont break defense, while michigan put it self in long conversions from penalties that lead to drives ending and interceptions. I think Kirk knew he could hang and that over the game Michigan would put itself in a position to lose, and they did. Taking advantage of inexperience. I give more credit to Kirk than I put on RRod. Ezeh and Mouton have been through 3 defensive coordinators and still cant figure some simple things out, that cant all be on Rodriguez.

Last edited by aLARGEtopHat : 10-17-2010 at 02:29 AM.
aLARGEtopHat is offline   Reply With Quote