College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs

coe might be a mortal lock for 100 carries next year
PC went about as well as it could have
not a doubt in my mind several players failed drug tests
but..if every school was obligated to suspend all players that fail weed tests 1/2 of the NCAA wouldn't be playing FB
a mass exodus could set precedent in the NCAA
ToldLikeItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't comment on it yesterday, because I didn't want to overreact, but after taking a day to think about I have come the the conclusion that my opinion is not an overreaction.

Could they have thought of worse division names? I honestly would rather them be called the Kitten division and Puppy division. I doesn't quite sound as stupid as Legends and Leaders. I'm actually embarassed that my team plays in a division called "The Legends Division." That's pathetic. And don't even get me started on those trophy names. The Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year!? I can't believe this **** is real.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've sat and thought about it as well, and the more I think about it the more I don't care. I'm fine with the logo.

As for the division names, I really don't think it matters. Regardless of what the names were going to be, they were going to be referred to as the Michigan division and the OSU division.

Further, and this might just be me, but the only conference I can name the divisions and each team in them is the Big 12. I have no idea how the SEC or ACC is split up. I know their division names, but not who goes where. I'm sure most die hards would know, but I would guess the majority of fans outside of each conference have no idea and couldn't care less.

And just a gut feeling, but I'm pretty sure everyone is going to refer to them as the East and West regardless. So really, the names are more of a novelty I'm thinking.

But that doesn't take away from how awfully the Big Ten botched this.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I didn't comment on it yesterday, because I didn't want to overreact, but after taking a day to think about I have come the the conclusion that my opinion is not an overreaction.

Could they have thought of worse division names? I honestly would rather them be called the Kitten division and Puppy division. I doesn't quite sound as stupid as Legends and Leaders. I'm actually embarassed that my team plays in a division called "The Legends Division." That's pathetic. And don't even get me started on those trophy names. The Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year!? I can't believe this **** is real.
I really hope that the capitulate in the face of the PR backlash. I doubt it, as Delaney seems to be an arrogant SOB, but I think everyone would be cool with a mulligan.

Speaking of mulligan, the division names sound like an old man's golf league.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I really hope that the capitulate in the face of the PR backlash. I doubt it, as Delaney seems to be an arrogant SOB, but I think everyone would be cool with a mulligan.

Speaking of mulligan, the division names sound like an old man's golf league.
Haha that's the 2nd time I've read that (the golf league) and I agree. It sounds like the Big Ten is hosting an annual golf outting.

And for as much flack as Delaney is going to take for this in the short term, it's not going to change and people will eventually stop caring. You're correct, Delaney is an arrogant SOB, but it's what makes him so good at his job. Despite how dumb some of the decisions he makes appear, the dude is raking in the cash for the conference. I can't really be all that upset with him.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't even matter, people. You'll get used to the names. Guarantee it.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What the fans think:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOnline
These are all unscientific polls, but consider the (dis)approval ratings for Leaders and Legends some newspaper Web sites ran about the Big Ten naming choices.

The links to the newspapers' online poll results are included below:

Chicago Tribune: I like them 4%; Leaders and Legends? Are you kidding me? 96%.

Chicago Sun-Times: Yes 2.6%; No 87.6%; Who cares 9.6%.

The Columbus Dispatch: I like them 4%; I don't like them 83%; I don't care 13%.

Minneapolis Star Tribune: I like how they evoke Big Ten's history and tradition 8.6%; Meh. Who cares? 16.2% ; Just turrible. To generic 75.1%.

Cleveland Plain Dealer: Don't like 87%; 3% Like; 10% Don't care.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Grading system for the names: A 2%; B 3%; C 10%; D 22%; F 63%.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...sp?CID=1164970

Rivals.com's Freshman All-American squad.

Wisconsin RB James White, Indiana TE Ted Bolser and Illinois DT Akeem Spence are your first-teamers. Northwestern PR Venric Mark, Purdue CB Ricardo Allen and Penn State P Anthony Fera are your second-teamers.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They're terrible. I'd love to see them changed as soon as possible.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know this woulda been too easy and woulda made way too much sense, but.....

East
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio State
Penn State

West
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern

Still could had ur rivalires and they could all be in the same division and all. And competiveness in football? U have Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska in one. And then Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn/Michigan State in the other.

And then for ur whole cross division rival thing that is about the only thing I like from this thing under mine....
Michigan-Minnesota
Michigan St.-Wisconsin
Penn St.-Nebraska
Ohio St.-Iowa
Illinois-Indiana
Northwestern-Purdue

BAM! Those could be ur whole cross division thing like they have now. I don't get why they couldn't do that.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way they placed the teams is perfect. A division with OSU, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State is simply too unbalanced.

They were totally correct that the idea of geographical balance is worthless. Competitive balance makes a lot more sense.

They just didn't need to give them awful ******* names.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Legends and Leaders....

Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 AM    (permalink
lowlife
Veteran

lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Doesn't even matter, people. You'll get used to the names. Guarantee it.
Yeah, but for now we're going to ***** about it on message boards.

I remember when I heard Nintendo was going to call their next console the Wii. lolwut. Same with the horribly generic XBOX 360.
lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The way they placed the teams is perfect. A division with OSU, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State is simply too unbalanced.

They were totally correct that the idea of geographical balance is worthless. Competitive balance makes a lot more sense.

They just didn't need to give them awful ******* names.
they split up ******* Ohio State and Michigan! After that it doesn't matter, because once you split those two up then you ****** up big time in picking the divisions.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 AM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
they split up ******* Ohio State and Michigan! After that it doesn't matter, because once you split those two up then you ****** up big time in picking the divisions.
I tried to tell you they were not going to take away the possibility of their most marquis matchup in the Big Ten Title game. It just was never going to work out that way
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eddie George for the OPOY award? Are you ******* ******** me?
i know you don't really have a problem with this.

Last edited by HindSight : 12-15-2010 at 02:58 PM.
HindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindSight View Post
i know you don't really have a problem with this.
Eddie George was really the best offensive player that they could come up with for it?

If that guy gets one, they should have a trophy for Most Outstanding Individual Performance and name it the Tim Biakabutuka-Tom Harmon Trophy. **** Eddie George, overrated ************* douchebag.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:21 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Eddie George was really the best offensive player that they could come up with for it?

If that guy gets one, they should have a trophy for Most Outstanding Individual Performance and name it the Tim Biakabutuka-Tom Harmon Trophy. **** Eddie George, overrated ************* douchebag.
It's college. George was a beast in college and I'm sure whoever named these awards is happy with the person he is off the field, and the fact he did have some success in the NFL, and the '95 Heisman.

Dayne's lack of NFL success might have been what kept his name off the award.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:27 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The crystal of hate is growing. Excellent.

Almost all of those names on the awards are a joke.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/c...ml#post1834579

Quote:
Overall record: 15-21 (.417)
Big Ten record: 6-18 (.250)
Overall points scored: 1,009 (28.0 ppg)
Overall points allowed: 1,083 (30.1 ppg)
Big Ten points scored: 601 (25.0 ppg)
Big Ten points allowed: 848 (35.3 ppg)
Record in The Game: 0-3
Points scored in The Game: 24 (8.0 ppg)
Points allowed in The Game: 100 (33.3 ppg)

Just to put some of the numbers in context....

Jim Tressel has more Big Ten wins this season (seven) than Rich Rod has in three seasons combined (six).

The same is true for each and every season between 2005 and 2009, inclusive.

Michigan has given up more points in the past three seasons combined (1,083) than Ohio State has given up in the past six seasons combined (1,019).

Michigan has given up more points in the past three Big Ten seasons combined (848) than Ohio State has given up in the past seven Big Ten seasons combined (785).

Jim Tressel currently has 105 wins at Ohio State. At his current pace (.41666), Rich Rod will need another 216 games in order to reach the 105 win mark. That's another eighteen years at twelve games per season.

Jim Tressel currently has 66 wins in the Big Ten. At his current pace (.250), Rich Rod will need another 240 Big Ten games in order to reach the 66 win mark. That's another thirty years at eight Big Ten games per season.

Jim Tressel currently has 9 wins in The Game. At his current pace (.000), Rich Rod will need infinity years to reach the 9 win mark.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
The crystal of hate is growing. Excellent.
The REAL 1995 Heisman Trophy Winner:

:D

I just think they could have done better.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had that one game where he ran for like 300 yards against us which was the single reason why he got drafted over George imo. How did that work out for Carolina btw?

When naming these trophies they obviously tried to put an old-school player with a more modern player from the 90s or 2000s. Biakabatuka and Dayne never had a season as good as George's either. They were both amazing professional players too, really dwarfed Eddie's career.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
He had that one game where he ran for like 300 yards against us which was the single reason why he got drafted over George imo. How did that work out for Carolina btw?
Yeah, I can't imagine why people got excited over 313 yards against a top-3 team.

Quote:
How did that work out for Carolina btw?
Not nearly as well as Vernon Gholston worked out for the Jets.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

A lot of people saw the Gholston bust coming. I don't see his name on a trophy either.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The REAL 1995 Heisman Trophy Winner:

:D

I just think they could have done better.
I don't know who that is. I will never acknowledge knowing who that is.

Also, I agree. EG is an ok name, but there are a lot better. Almost all of those names could have been better. The worst was having Joe Pa be on an award, not to mention anybody with Nebraska. It's a PC circle jerk.