Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Franchise tag thread

Discuss...

Patriots: NT Vince Wilfork (franchise).

Steelers: NT Casey Hampton (franchise), K Jeff Reed (transition).

Raiders: DE Richard Seymour (francise).

Packers: NT Ryan Pickett (franchise).

Seahawks: K Olindo Mare (franchise).

49ers: NT Aubrayo Franklin (franchise).

Last edited by Splat : 02-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good decision. Guy was one of the best 3-4 NTs in the league last year and is a big reason for the 49ers success on defense. His long term deal will probably set the market for Wilfork and the Pats.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, I wish the Pats would just give him an extention already.
This CBA is really ******* **** up for us

Nalej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Report: Saints will franchise Sharper
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
At this point in his career, he's gotta be happy with that. It's guaranteed money, and, at his age, way more than he'd average over the life of a long-term contract.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 PM    (permalink
frubulubu
Veteran

frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I dislike the tag. I would wish the NFL, would get rid of it. Player is forced to play so many years before he can become a FA, then when he is elgible, he gets tagged.
frubulubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If we do, then I expect this to be his last year in a Saints uniform unless we sign him for very cheap the following year.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubulubu View Post
Personally, I dislike the tag. I would wish the NFL, would get rid of it. Player is forced to play so many years before he can become a FA, then when he is elgible, he gets tagged.
I've never liked it either, but it is something the players collectively bargained for. I never understood why they didn't make it a one-year thing.

Negotiations for an extension usually start when a player is heading into the last year of his contract. So if you haven't come to an agreement after that last year PLUS the franchise tag year, then it's probably not gonna happen.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I've never liked it either, but it is something the players collectively bargained for. I never understood why they didn't make it a one-year thing.

Negotiations for an extension usually start when a player is heading into the last year of his contract. So if you haven't come to an agreement after that last year PLUS the franchise tag year, then it's probably not gonna happen.
wait the players actually were pro-tag, or did they agree to it as part of the owners' demands?

If it's the first I don't get it. If the second, I can see how they kinda traded off the tag against something they wanted. THat's negotiations I guess.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubulubu View Post
Why? As a fan, I want to see the big name guys play for their home team as long as possible. I like seeing Green Bay or Arizona or [insert small market team] have something that lets them hold onto talent before they go get paid by Dan Snyder or Al Davis. The salary cap is a lie anyway (this year, literally).

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
wait the players actually were pro-tag, or did they agree to it as part of the owners' demands?

If it's the first I don't get it. If the second, I can see how they kinda traded off the tag against something they wanted. THat's negotiations I guess.
I'm not sure which way it went, but I think the tag was a much more attractive option when the CBA was signed. Then player saw skyrocketing signing bonuses that made it an anitquated system and prevented them from getting the big, long-term payday.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it true a team can franchise 2 players this year if they so choose?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Yes, back in the 1990s when they were setting up the CBA for the new salary cap era, the franchise tag was seen as win-win for both player and team.

The problem with the tag is that it was never really applied in the way that it was intended. Almost immediately, owners began using it as leverage AGAINST the players they tagged. The big problem with the franchise tag is the compensation it requires, and I think the players union made a big mistake in thinking that teams would readily trade two firsts or a first and a third for a "franchise" player. This thing was originally intended to be used when a player and team were close to an extension before the free agency period and only needed to buy a little time. It wasn't meant to be used on a player multiple years in a row, which is why the players demanded that a franchise player be paid the average of the top 5 salaries in the NFL (not just at their position) if they get tagged a third year.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Is it true a team can franchise 2 players this year if they so choose?
Yes, this is true.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, this is true.
Damn. Uncapped and two tags... NFLPA's getting screwed this year.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Damn. Uncapped and two tags... NFLPA's getting screwed this year.
The worst part about it is that you need to accrue six seasons instead of four to become an UFA instead of an RFA. Guys like Elvis Dumerville and Brandon Marshall are going to be playing on $1.7 million RFA tenders this year. True, they're still free to negotiate with any team, but that team would have to fork over a first and third round pick to sign them.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The worst part about it is that you need to accrue six seasons instead of four to become an UFA instead of an RFA. Guys like Elvis Dumerville and Brandon Marshall are going to be playing on $1.7 million RFA tenders this year. True, they're still free to negotiate with any team, but that team would have to fork over a first and third round pick to sign them.
Damn. Broncos are lucking out then. So this capless season is great for owners.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Damn. Broncos are lucking out then. So this capless season is great for owners.
That's why the owners really don't give a ****. This is going to cut down player IMMENSELY. The owners are pretty much gambling that America loves the NFL so much that they'll come back with open arms after the lockout happens. They're not going to have to pay their players, yet will still get their money from their TV deals (I believe).
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
That's why the owners really don't give a ****. This is going to cut down player IMMENSELY. The owners are pretty much gambling that America loves the NFL so much that they'll come back with open arms after the lockout happens. They're not going to have to pay their players, yet will still get their money from their TV deals (I believe).
this isn't news. The NFLPA could and should have foreseen this and acted accordingly. Now they've got nothing and can be pressured into anything.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Long-term deal or franchise tag coming for Seymour

This was pretty much a givin.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're talking about a season without football, correct? I really don't think that will happen. Way too many people make way too much money off the sport. Even if the players get screwed, they still have to choose between making millions or unemployment. Not to mention all the pressure from local economic entities that profit from football games (bars, restaurants, newspapers, the media...the list goes on and on). There was even that senator that got involved when the Patriots got caught cheating. If that is enough to rile up Congress, I would think a complete work stoppage would be a major issue in the white house, especially considering the attention the state of the economy is getting by Obama and co. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL got a (totally unnecessary) bailout if that's what it took to keep them in business. America won't let America's game die, even for 1 year.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
PFT is so cheap sometimes. They really couldn't afford a picture of him in the silver and black? He's not new to oakland, he's played games in the uniform.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Casey Hampton is probably going to get the tag.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#1700!!

question: Who sets the price for an FP tagged player? The team or the league, I had thought it was 2 1sts automatically. When did 1st & a 3rd enter into it?

Did Minnesota FP Edwards or anybody yet, or just RFA status for him? He's looking to cash in on his stellar playoff performance & bitching to ESPN today about how unhappy he was being restricted.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team sets the tender which decides how much money they get and what it costs to get them.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote