Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-23-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
wow, i don't even know what to say.
You really want to debate on how good either Young or the Longhorns were in 2005? Don't just dismiss me because I'm praising a team that is never mentioned among the elite even though they should. Do you remember the month before they even played how ESPN was praising the Trojans as the greatest football team ever and that Texas had no shot of beating them? What about how they kept comparing the Trojans to great football teams in the past and saying the Trojans would win if they played? Even how they called it the greatest offense of all-time and nobody could stop it? Guess what? The Texans stopped it and Vince Young put the single greatest prefromance by a college football player ever. The Trojans and Hurricanes may have more prospects but I'd take the Longhorns in a football game over both.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:22 AM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
I'll take the 2005 Texas Longhorns over both of them. The 05 Trojans were basically the same team as the 04 Trojans and they couldn't beat Texas. Nobody could stop Vince Young that year. Nobody.

No. Dead wrong right there. Our 05 Trojans loss about 90-95% of our Defense due to injury and the Draft. The Offense was pretty much the same but our Defense was WAY different. Our 04 team had a much better Defense that would have held Young in check with Cody and Patterson putting pressure and Tatupu and MG stopping him. Give me the 2004 USC Trojans against anybody.
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22,895 View Post
No. Dead wrong right there. Our 05 Trojans loss about 90-95% of our Defense due to injury and the Draft. The Offense was pretty much the same but our Defense was WAY different. Our 04 team had a much better Defense that would have held Young in check with Cody and Patterson putting pressure and Tatupu and MG stopping him. Give me the 2004 USC Trojans against anybody.
I'm sure that if the 04 Trojans were to lose Leinart would still claim them as the better team.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Quote:
I'm sure that if the 04 Trojans were to lose Leinart would still claim them as the better team.
The 2004 Trojans were definitely a better team than the 05 Longhorns. Vince Young's team beat a USC team that lost 4 All Americans on defense by 3 points in a nailbiter.

You can't tell me that Lofa Tatupu, Mike Patterson, Shaun Cody, and Eric Wright (A first round pick,2 2nd rounders and a potential 1st round pick) would not be the difference. That's not even counting All American Matt Grootegoed.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho@SC View Post
The 2004 Trojans were definitely a better team than the 05 Longhorns. Vince Young's team beat a USC team that lost 4 All Americans on defense by 3 points in a nailbiter.

You can't tell me that Lofa Tatupu, Mike Patterson, Shaun Cody, and Eric Wright (A first round pick,2 2nd rounders and a potential 1st round pick) would not be the difference. That's not even counting All American Matt Grootegoed.
Yeah it would have made a difference but Young would have still killed them when it really matter. No college quarterback has ever been that good in the clutch.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Um, no.

04 LSU was Russell's first year as QB. They went 9-3 and lost to Iowa in the Capitol One Bowl.

04 USC went 13-0 and killed Oklahoma 55-19. Thanks for playing.
Pretty sure when LSU beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl it was January 2004.

Just like I'm pretty sure when USC beat Oklahoma it was the January 2005.

The answer is still Miami by the way.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Well no then it would basically balance out to be worse then the 05 Trojans. That's like me saying If you guys loss 90% of your Defense you would still claim that the 05 Texas Longhorns team would still be better.
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah it would have made a difference but Young would have still killed them when it really matter. No college quarterback has ever been that good in the clutch.
no one is doubting young, he might be one of the most athletic players to ever play ncaaf but i don't agree that they're an elite team. Sure they made the necessary plays but as far as elite players goes only vince young and michael huff stand out to me. Besides vince would have got no where against miami.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant cough View Post
Pretty sure when LSU beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl it was January 2004.

Just like I'm pretty sure when USC beat Oklahoma it was the January 2005.

The answer is still Miami by the way.
I'm pretty sure you know what I meant, so no need to get cute. When people refer to 04 USC it's pretty obvious they are talking about the team that had Matt Leinart as the Heisman Trophy winner and won the BCS National Championship against Oklahoma.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Big Mike
Veteran

Big Mike hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I pick Miami Hurricanes

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Actually I did misunderstand at first then you got cute so I got cute back. But now that I do know what was meant the answer is still Miami. Cheers!
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant cough View Post
Actually I did misunderstand at first then you got cute so I got cute back. But now that I do know what was meant the answer is still Miami. Cheers!
Cool. But what I was originally taking issue with you in saying that LSU was better than USC during the bulk of 04 August-December.

And no, I don't think '03 LSU (regular season games played in Aug-Dec) was better than '04 USC. They weren't even better than 03 USC.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

'01 Miami was probably better, but I think they were both two of the 5 best teams I've ever seen. That Miami team had a ridiculous defense, while USC could throw 50 on just about anyone (they had a really good defense, too.)

The '05 team got talked up a lot, but it was the '04 team that was really worth the hype.

Haha, now I get to defend my Tigers. When we split the title, (fairly, I might add. USC was just as deserving) that LSU defense was intense, and played with a chip on its shoulder. If they had played the game, I don't know who would've won, but I know it would've been really competitive.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:31 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember Maurice Sikes, safety #36, where is he? And I definitely think Miami wins.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You really want to debate on how good either Young or the Longhorns were in 2005? Don't just dismiss me because I'm praising a team that is never mentioned among the elite even though they should. Do you remember the month before they even played how ESPN was praising the Trojans as the greatest football team ever and that Texas had no shot of beating them? What about how they kept comparing the Trojans to great football teams in the past and saying the Trojans would win if they played? Even how they called it the greatest offense of all-time and nobody could stop it? Guess what? The Texans stopped it and Vince Young put the single greatest prefromance by a college football player ever. The Trojans and Hurricanes may have more prospects but I'd take the Longhorns in a football game over both.
I did not know that the Texans played college football. Vince Young's performance was probably the best one of the past like 5 to 10 years, but all-time is a stretch.
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

VY's magic would run out against either of those teams, UT just didn't have the talent that these teams had to compensate
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd go with Miami in a regular season game, but if it was a bowl game, I would have to go with USC. You give their coaching staff that year with that much talent on offence, and they would find a way to beat you.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Clayton89
Rookie

Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.

Quote:
USC would beat Miami (FL)
Breakdown:
If Ohio State was able to shut down McGahee. Then that USC Defense with Pete Carroll would be able to shut down McGahee and Portis. Plus, you have the Playmakers at LB with Lofa Tatupu and Matt Grootegoed. The passing attack with Matt Leinart conducting it with Steve Smith,Dwayne Jarrett,and Dominque Byrd. We would keep your DBs in check and also your LBs. Then we pound it with LenDale and Bush. Plus, when Miami would blitz our O-Line would pick it up. Our Defense like I said is was one of the best with our DT of Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson "Little Sapp" Then our DE of Kenechi Udeze. Our DBs of Justin Wyatt who had a very underrated year and the big hitter of Scott Ware. They would shut down Andre Johnson and Shockey to an extent.

SO you have

Matt Leinart vs. Ken Dorsey= Matt Leinart
Reggie Bush/ LenDale White vs Clint Portis/Willis McGahee= push
Dwayne Jarrett/Steve Smith vs. Andre Johnson/Kevin Beard= DJ/SS
Dominque Byrd vs. Jeremy Shockey= Jeremy Shockey
Shaun Cody/Little Sapp vs. Matt Walters/William Joseph= Cody/Patterson
Lofa Tatupu/Matt Grootegoed vs. D.J. Williams/Jonathan Vilma= Push
USC DB's vs. Miam (FL) DB's- Miami (FL)

So I would have to say my boys win Fight On USC!
Lofa Tatupu/Matt Grootegoed vs. D.J. Williams/Jonathan Vilma= Push , No way are Tatupu and Grootegoed as good as Williams and Vilma and Udeze wasnt even on the team and the Ohio State Defense from the Fiesta Bowl was tons better than any defense the Trojans have had in the last 5 years.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:40 AM    (permalink
terman
Rookie

terman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

"You really want to debate on how good either Young or the Longhorns were in 2005? Don't just dismiss me because I'm praising a team that is never mentioned among the elite even though they should. Do you remember the month before they even played how ESPN was praising the Trojans as the greatest football team ever and that Texas had no shot of beating them? What about how they kept comparing the Trojans to great football teams in the past and saying the Trojans would win if they played? Even how they called it the greatest offense of all-time and nobody could stop it? Guess what? The Texans stopped it and Vince Young put the single greatest prefromance by a college football player ever. The Trojans and Hurricanes may have more prospects but I'd take the Longhorns in a football game over both."

I don't think the laugh emoticon gives a fair representation of the hilariousness of this comment. Seriously, that was ****ing amazing.
terman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

miami, easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
USC would beat Miami (FL)
Breakdown:
If Ohio State was able to shut down McGahee. Then that USC Defense with Pete Carroll would be able to shut down McGahee and Portis. Plus, you have the Playmakers at LB with Lofa Tatupu and Matt Grootegoed. The passing attack with Matt Leinart conducting it with Steve Smith,Dwayne Jarrett,and Dominque Byrd. We would keep your DBs in check and also your LBs. Then we pound it with LenDale and Bush. Plus, when Miami would blitz our O-Line would pick it up. Our Defense like I said is was one of the best with our DT of Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson "Little Sapp" Then our DE of Kenechi Udeze. Our DBs of Justin Wyatt who had a very underrated year and the big hitter of Scott Ware. They would shut down Andre Johnson and Shockey to an extent.

SO you have

Matt Leinart vs. Ken Dorsey= Matt Leinart
Reggie Bush/ LenDale White vs Clint Portis/Willis McGahee= push
Dwayne Jarrett/Steve Smith vs. Andre Johnson/Kevin Beard= DJ/SS
Dominque Byrd vs. Jeremy Shockey= Jeremy Shockey
Shaun Cody/Little Sapp vs. Matt Walters/William Joseph= Cody/Patterson
Lofa Tatupu/Matt Grootegoed vs. D.J. Williams/Jonathan Vilma= Push
USC DB's vs. Miam (FL) DB's- Miami (FL)

So I would have to say my boys win Fight On USC!

As much as i liked watching the Thunder and Lightening of Bush and White, i think that Portis and McGahee are better any day of the week.
"it won't change not one way how I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can't stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play." - Ray Lewis after being fined $20,000 for hit on Hines Ward

Let's Go BUFFALO!
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miami's depth kills any chance that USC had in this fantasy match up.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

When it all comes down to it ...it'd either be Leinart versus the Miami D or Ken Dorsey against the SC defense.

....I'd take Leinart and USC and roll the dice. Ken Dorsey was putrid.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:40 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
When it all comes down to it ...it'd either be Leinart versus the Miami D or Ken Dorsey against the SC defense.

You mean the two time heisman finalist? Are you kidding me?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post

You must be to young to remember Dorsey's greatness, truely a game manager at its finest. 86 Tds to 28 ints in 3.5years as a starter.
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote