Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bonds should be in the HOF not only for being great at baseball(pre steroid use), but he should get in because that dude MASTERED the use of steroids as well

nobody maximized their real talent + steroid use like Bonds did.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
I have nothing against Rose. He should be in the HOF. He's just not better than Bonds was, even pre-roid use. Bonds brought more to the table than Rose ever did.

They do, doesn't necessarily mean it will make them better.
so if a player possesses the intangibles like Bonds and Clements already do, they would do nothing if it makes them stronger?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate Barry Bonds as much as the next guy, but it's a shame that he used steroids. The guy might have been a top-10 player all time even without steroid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
so if a player possesses the intangibles like Bonds and Clements already do, they would do nothing if it makes them stronger?
What intangibles are you speaking of here?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, at least Bengals isn't making an argument for Joe Morgan. Now there's probably the biggest a-hole in baseball.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What intangibles are you speaking of here?
Patience, discipline, eye at the plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Hey, at least Bengals isn't making an argument for Joe Morgan. Now there's probably the biggest a-hole in baseball.
I hate Joe. Ive met him. Not a nice man.
Same with Johnny Bench.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I hate Barry Bonds as much as the next guy, but it's a shame that he used steroids. The guy might have been a top-10 player all time even without steroid.
I dislike him probably more than the next guy, but there's no doubt in my mind Bonds would have been top 10 without steroids. He was basically had the Willie Mays all around skill set, except better in most areas.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
I love Mac, but comparing him to Barry ******* Bonds is idiotic at best.
Is that why Barry Bonds got so butthurt by how well McGwire was hitting that he decided to take HGH and steroids? That Napoleon complex only works if you see yourself less than someone else--and clearly Bonds thought of himself as less than McGwire.

Yes, Barry Bonds ended up with better numbers. Yes, Barry Bonds was a better player than Mark McGwire, but if we are talking about players who should NEVER EVER be overlooked to get into the Hall of Fame, Mark McGwire is right up there with any of them.

Mark McGwire is right there with Jimmie Foxx in career wRC+. There are exactly 12 players with a career wRC+ that is higher than McGwire's. Mark McGwire with 7660 PAs is the only player in the 500 HR club with less than 9660 PAs to his name.

In the history of MLB, no player has a better HR/PA ratio than McGwire.

Again, you are right. McGwire isn't Barry Bonds. Bonds could run. Bonds could field. Bonds hit for a better average.

But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an uproar that McGwire isn't in the HOF.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:

I hate Joe. Ive met him. Not a nice man.
Same with Johnny Bench.
It's bad when I almost would rather listen to Hawk Harrelson than Joe Morgan. Hawk may be annoying and a borderline ruhtard with most of his comments, but at least he doesn't find away in every conversation to criticize another player and bring up how much better he was.

Also, I really hope those rumors are true for Dempster and Delgado. All day Theo circle jerk at my place if they come true!

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bonds should be in the HOF not only for being great at baseball(pre steroid use), but he should get in because that dude MASTERED the use of steroids as well

nobody maximized their real talent + steroid use like Bonds did.
I absolutely agree that Bonds mastered the art of maximizing his talent with steroid use. At the same time, it's kind of difficult to enshrine someone for their ability to cheat the best--considering it's against the rules and the law.

But on the other hand, how many legends are there of HOF pitchers who were masters at doctoring the ball...

Eh... sports are all about gamesmanship I guess. Not that I agree with it, but the precedent has been set.

What the heck, go for it. Enshrine Bonds as a player and contributor to the game for his mastery of PEDs.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think people are just taking it the wrong way when Brodeur and I say that people arent nearly as good as Bonds. We're not saying the other guys are bad or anything like that, just that Bonds was insanely amazing.

Pete Rose and Mark McGwire were awesome. I just dont consider them to be top 5 all time as I do with Bonds.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
It's bad when I almost would rather listen to Hawk Harrelson than Joe Morgan. Hawk may be annoying and a borderline ruhtard with most of his comments, but at least he doesn't find away in every conversation to criticize another player and bring up how much better he was.

Also, I really hope those rumors are true for Dempster and Delgado. All day Theo circle jerk at my place if they come true!
He wasn't pleasant to be around. Dismissed everyone as unworthy at times.
It must kill him to see a talented 2B like Brandon Phillips besting him

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
If they already have all of that, they likely would become great players, or at least they should with that skillset. The roid use would just help them sustain their elite level of play for a longer period of time + not have the aches and pains that most players go through during a long season year after year.

More often than not though, we see guys who are marginal talents who are pressured into taking it in hopes of improving their play....in hopes of them being able to make good money/get that long term contract
Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I absolutely agree that Bonds mastered the art of maximizing his talent with steroid use. At the same time, it's kind of difficult to enshrine someone for their ability to cheat the best--considering it's against the rules and the law.

But on the other hand, how many legends are there of HOF pitchers who were masters at doctoring the ball...

Eh... sports are all about gamesmanship I guess. Not that I agree with it, but the precedent has been set.

What the heck, go for it. Enshrine Bonds as a player and contributor to the game for his mastery of PEDs.
This is the thing. Each era had guys doing things to gain an advantage. When Bonds was taking roids, it was during what is now dubbed as the "steroid era"

we'll never know how many opposing pitchers he faced who were juicing as well. In the end, I think most if not all of these guys will get into the HOF...but it will be quite awhile. Hell, some of them might already be dead by the time they are enshrined
Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dislike him probably more than the next guy, but there's no doubt in my mind Bonds would have been top 10 without steroids. He was basically had the Willie Mays all around skill set, except better in most areas.
Top 10 yes but not in Mays class as a player. Probably a good comparison for Bonds without steroids would be Ken Griffey. Similar players to me.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Top 10 yes but not in Mays class as a player. Probably a good comparison for Bonds without steroids would be Ken Griffey. Similar players to me.
Bonds got on base way more than Junior

Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McGwire was a 1 trick pony and that 1 trick was greatly enhanced by the steroids he took. Bonds was a great all around player in every facet of the game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

What's funny was MLB was just waiting for A-rod to break all of those records to wipe their hands clean of this steroid mess, only for him to get busted

I think it's also naive to think that Pujols has been clean his whole career as well
Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
Junior had a better smile, though
Old 07-23-2012, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love Griffey but Bonds OBP even before steroids were insane. Always had that great eye at the plate.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Junior had a better smile, though
And could wear a hat backwards like nobody else could.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Junior was 100x cooler than anyone else in MLB.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I love Griffey but Bonds OBP even before steroids were insane. Always had that great eye at the plate.
Yea, i mean, his AVERAGE line from 1990-96 was

.308/.436/.601, 36 HR, 110 RBI, 30 2B, 4 3B, 72 K, 114 BB, 38 SB

Thats absolutely absurd. Flirting with 40/40 every season while getting on base at a 436 clip and playing elite defense. So good.

Also, thats including the 94 season where he had 37 HR and 29 SB in 112 games.

Last edited by comahan : 07-23-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The one player I would be devastated by if it was ever found out he took roids is Griff. Bonds is a douche bag and can suck it. I don't care about him.

Griff is such a baller though.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
McGwire was a 1 trick pony and that 1 trick was greatly enhanced by the steroids he took. Bonds was a great all around player in every facet of the game.
He had natural power, regardless of the roids. You should know better than to use roids as an argument, I expect more.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote