Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Yep. It's been awhile since I've looked forward to the trade deadline as potential sellers. This team just doesn't have it this year. First the offense was terrible, the pitching was average, and the defense was very good. Now the offense has been very good, the defense has been average, and the pitching has been terrible. Go figure.
yep, usually i'm looking forward to all the rumors swirling about how we might go for this guy or that one, now i'm looking forward to seeing who we can get for who.

i've said this before, but i'll say it again - the majority of this team needs to go. keep martinez (dh), youkilis (1b/3b), pedroia, and ellsbury on offense. for the pitching staff, keep lester, beckett if he gets his act together (i might move him while i still can), lackey, bard, maybe papelbon, but i think the worth of the closer position is severely overrated unless your closer's name is mariano rivera.

i certainly left a few out, but for the most part those are the only guys that i think are worth having. try to pile up prospects who will be ready next year or the year after, and go from there. i'm also worried that our farm isn't nearly as good as past years.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just watched FSN Wisconsin's live replay of Trevor Hoffman's 3 run, no out, walk-off blown save today for the 2nd time. For some reason I could not peel my eyes from the horror.

I just finished Hoffman's eulogy and, am now scripting Prince Fielder's farewell letter...

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The age of the ***** athlete has been in full swing for a while, and Hanley Ramirez is keeping it going. Lost a lot of respect for him, shut up and admit you haven't been playing well even if you don't think you should be benched.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank you Papelbon

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One night Thames' is the man, tonight he botched the catch and cost us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Thank you Papelbon
I can't believe they left Winn in to hit. I don't care how hurt Posada or Swisher are, they're still better than Winn.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sweet! Pirates AAA game is being broadcasted on MLBN tomorrow morning. I'm going to have to wake up to see it. I finally get to see Tabata and Pedro play!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Sweet! Pirates AAA game is being broadcasted on MLBN tomorrow morning. I'm going to have to wake up to see it. I finally get to see Tabata and Pedro play!
Don't you usually watch an AAA team?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Don't you usually watch an AAA team?
No because I don't get the games.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No because I don't get the games.
I think he was talking about the Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think again Hines.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I know he was talking about the Pirates.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Thank you Papelbon
Most overrated closer in the game of baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Most overrated closer in the game of baseball
It depends on how you view the closer position. In my opinion he's overrated as a reliever. He's not one of the top five relief pitchers in baseball like he is sometimes billed as. However, a closer's job is to get saves and Papelbon is one of the best at converting save opportunities. That's not really debatable.

Here are the 14 closers who have converted at least 40 saves since the start of the 2009 season and their save percentage:

Bell - 53 (86.9%)
Cordero - 52 (89.7%)
Rivera - 51 (94.4%)
Fuentes - 48 (87.3%)
Papelbon - 48 (92.3%)
Wilson - 48 (85.7%)
Aardsma - 47 (92.1%)
Franklin - 47 (88.7%)
Nathan - 47 (90.4%)
Broxton - 43 (84.3%)
Hoffman - 42 (82.4%)
Rodney - 42 (97.7%)
Rodriguez - 41 (82.0%)
Soria - 40 (88.9%)

In terms of coming into a save situation and converting, only Rivera and Rodney have been better. Sure, it's not always pretty when Papelbon is on the mound, but he gets the job done better than almost anyone. Now, the above study is certainly fuel to the notion that the closer position itself is overrated.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One really good point that was made during the Sunday Night Baseball game between the Phils and Brewers was that sometimes the crucial outs come in the 7th or 8th inning, not the 9th. So, all bullpen positions can be crucial to the success of the team. The closer might get the glory, but the bridge/setup players are equally important. A great closer can be very helpful, but if you can't get to him, what's the point? Case and point: The 2009 Mets pitching staff was collectively weak in the 5th-8th innings. That was a significant reason why they had such a down year.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
One really good point that was made during the Sunday Night Baseball game between the Phils and Brewers was that sometimes the crucial outs come in the 7th or 8th inning, not the 9th. So, all bullpen positions can be crucial to the success of the team. The closer might get the glory, but the bridge/setup players are equally important. A great closer can be very helpful, but if you can't get to him, what's the point? Case and point: The 2009 Mets pitching staff was collectively weak in the 5th-8th innings. That was a significant reason why they had such a down year.
this is what I've thought for some time now. i'd much rather have 3 rock solid relievers that i can use in innings 7, 8, and 9 where necessary than a fantastic reliever that i can use for one inning, maybe two (but then he's unavailable the next night). this is why i kind of hope boston trades papelbon, especially with his contract running out soon.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I like the Pirates' backend of their bullpen. Meek, Hanrahan, and Dotel is pretty solid IMO.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So i just caught Mike Golic ripping on Hanley Ramirez and I must say, good job Mike.
Freddy has brass balls calling out someone like Hanley and was right to do so and Hanley was a spoiled baby brat afterward.
Diva's like Hanley and the pre-conceived notion that they are bigger than the team are ********. People like that piss me off so much.
It is why I hate Brandon Phillips so much and why I think Dusty Baker is only the third or fourth worst manager in baseball now.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
So i just caught Mike Golic ripping on Hanley Ramirez and I must say, good job Mike.
Freddy has brass balls calling out someone like Hanley and was right to do so and Hanley was a spoiled baby brat afterward.
Diva's like Hanley and the pre-conceived notion that they are bigger than the team are ********. People like that piss me off so much.
It is why I hate Brandon Phillips so much and why I think Dusty Baker is only the third or fourth worst manager in baseball now.
I just heard it, and wow. He hit the nail on the head throughout the whole thing. I applaud Golic.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:50 PM    (permalink
fast_10
Rookie

fast_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.fast_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

ugh

Flyers shutout the Canadians
Sixers get the #2 pick

and Roy Halladay loses to the Pirates

i be dammed......
fast_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just heard it, and wow. He hit the nail on the head throughout the whole thing. I applaud Golic.
Hanley is a spoiled brat and I hate him now.
This is what a true Me First player looks like and it seems like the players are backing Freddy and they seemed to do just fine without him the other day.

And this is why team chemistry matters. If Hanley goes south, I dont know if anyone is gonna try to pick him up because after all, no one else is as important to the team as him

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM    (permalink
fast_10
Rookie

fast_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.fast_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hanley is an a hole but I wouldnt mind him on the phillies LoL!!!
fast_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_10 View Post
Hanley is an a hole but I wouldnt mind him on the phillies LoL!!!
He isn't a top tier pitcher so the phillies wont be trading for him.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care how big Hanley's ego is, he's welcome in Detroit.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I don't care how big Hanley's ego is, he's welcome in Detroit.
One of the major reasons they traded Cabrera was so he didn't badly influence Hanley. Imagine them together still.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote