Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-11-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
They had Griffey in the Seattle booth tonite because they were inducting him into the Mariner HOF tonight before the game, and they showed the all-time hr list:

Bonds
Aaron
Ruth
Mays
Arod
Griffey

And asked his thoughts when he sees his name with those guys - His reponse " I just look at #2, 3, and 4 and say Wow."

Well said.

And without Stanton too, go figure.
Nice response by Griffey. Of all the sluggers that came out of the steroid era I think the only two that I could say with confidence never cheated were Griffey and the completely under appreciated Jim Thome.

It seems alot of people do not realize Thome has 612 career HRs. I hope he is a first ballot hall of famer.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Nice response by Griffey. Of all the sluggers that came out of the steroid era I think the only two that I could say with confidence never cheated were Griffey and the completely under appreciated Jim Thome.

It seems alot of people do not realize Thome has 612 career HRs. I hope he is a first ballot hall of famer.
Thome has always kinda gone under the radar. Such a professional hitter in every sense of the word. By his numbers you would have to think he is 1st ballot, but at the same time we has flown so far under the radar he may not get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd put Griffey up against Bonds in the batter's box and the field every damn time. Jr didn't win 10 gold gloves in f'n CF by accident.

And yeah you better believe when a guy hits 630 HR's clean despite missing 3+ years due to injuries in his prime gives him a leg up compared to Roider over there.

Bond was a HOF no matter what, but he wasn't better than Griffey.
1990s (when Bonds never took PEDs):

Bonds: .302/.434/602, .434 wOBA, 172 wRC+, 81.3 WAR, 361 homers, 343 steals
Griffey Jr: .302/.384/.581, .407 wOBA, 147 wRC+, 66.0 WAR, 382 homers, 151 steals

Griffey actually had more plate appearances in less games, so yeah. As for the gold glove argument, gold gloves are given to superior hitters who occasionally make good plays. Bonds was way better in left than Griffey in center so Griffey has a bit of an advantage, but Bonds wrecks him in hitting and base-running so who cares.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Bonds was way better in left than Griffey in center
No....just no.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
No....just no.
Uhh yes, yes he was. I'm glad you won't argue the hitting case because that is ******* stupid.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1990s (when Bonds never took PEDs):

Bonds: .302/.434/602, .434 wOBA, 172 wRC+, 81.3 WAR, 361 homers, 343 steals
Griffey Jr: .302/.384/.581, .407 wOBA, 147 wRC+, 66.0 WAR, 382 homers, 151 steals

Griffey actually had more plate appearances in less games, so yeah. As for the gold glove argument, gold gloves are given to superior hitters who occasionally make good plays. Bonds was way better in left than Griffey in center so Griffey has a bit of an advantage, but Bonds wrecks him in hitting and base-running so who cares.
We'll take out the roids and all of the discussion because it doesn't pertain to a batter's eye and what he can do as for being able to recognize pitches. With all of the talk of how Bonds had the best eye in baseball for about 4-5 years when he was jacking the ball everywhere, it doesn't seem a little weird that he still finished with only 154 more hits than Griffey in his career even though Griffey couldn't stay on the field for 4 out of 5 years in his prime?

We'll just attack the hits category for the moment.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Uhh yes, yes he was. I'm glad you won't argue the hitting case because that is ******* stupid.
Bonds was a better hitter, Bonds may very well be the best hitter I have seen...but you trying to force this fielding **** is ridiculous.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
We'll take out the roids and all of the discussion because it doesn't pertain to a batter's eye and what he can do as for being able to recognize pitches. With all of the talk of how Bonds had the best eye in baseball for about 4-5 years when he was jacking the ball everywhere, it doesn't seem a little weird that he still finished with only 154 more hits than Griffey in his career even though Griffey couldn't stay on the field for 4 out of 5 years in his prime?

We'll just attack the hits category for the moment.
He finished with 1,688 more walks, so that more than makes up for it.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bonds was way better in left than Griffey in center

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Bonds was a better hitter, Bonds may very well be the best hitter I have seen...but you trying to force this fielding **** is ridiculous.
Bonds was an incredible fielder and I don't think Griffey is that great. People pretend he's Andruw Jones-esque in the field, when he was more along the lines of an Austin Jackson.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bonds was not a better fielder

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Shut up Marcus.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

especially late in his career he was pretty horrific

Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brody... I do value your opinion and thoughts on baseball but at what point in your life did you decide to see how many people you can get to believe some random ********?

Seriously at this point you seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bonds was an incredible fielder and I don't think Griffey is that great. People pretend he's Andruw Jones-esque in the field, when he was more along the lines of an Austin Jackson.
LF is serious ******* business, bro.

To be fair, Bonds was easily better at playing LF than Griffey was at playing CF, especially when longevity is factored in. It's just not that impressive.

Last edited by mqtirishfan : 08-11-2013 at 05:04 PM.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Brody... I do value your opinion and thoughts on baseball but at what point in your life did you decide to see how many people you can get to believe some random ********?

Seriously at this point you seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing.
What random ********, exactly?

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
What random ********, exactly?
Bonds being a better fielder than Junior...it's nonsense.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Bonds being a better fielder than Junior...it's nonsense.
He was a better fielder at his position than Griffey Jr was at his, but Griffey Jr was the more valuable fielder because he played a tougher position.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He was a better fielder at his position than Griffey Jr was at his, but Griffey Jr was the more valuable fielder because he played a tougher position.
I hope the Tigers collapse.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
I hope the Tigers collapse.
Your argument was "BONDS DID ROIDS HE ISNT A BETTER HITTER THAN KEN GRIFFEY." Not my fault it was flawed.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Your argument was "BONDS DID ROIDS HE ISNT A BETTER HITTER THAN KEN GRIFFEY." Not my fault it was flawed.
I'm not conceding - Griffey is the best player of our generation. End of story.

I didn't say it was just because of the roids - the stats Griffey put up with losing the years he did is amazing.

He was the man in CF and Bonds was just horrible in the field towards the end besides playing CF is a ton more important than LF.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:

Last edited by BallerT1215 : 08-11-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

Pedro & RJ >

Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:

I didn't say it was just because of the roids - the stats Griffey put up with losing the years he did is amazing.

He was the man in CF and Bonds was just horrible in the field towards the end besides playing CF is a ton more important than LF.
Yes, Bonds was below average in the field as a 40something year old but he wasn't Dunn bad. You aren't conceding but you have no ground to stand on. I even posted the stats but you won't acknowledge them.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Yes, Bonds was below average in the field as a 40something year old but he wasn't Dunn bad. You aren't conceding but you have no ground to stand on. I even posted the stats but you won't acknowledge them.
The finals #'s are deafening when you look at all the circumstances for both players.

Saying Bonds was outright better than Griffey in the field made me less willing to have a meaningful argument TBH.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 07:29 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Look, bro. Your only argument for Griffey > Bonds is steroids, because Bonds absolutely crushed Griffey over the course of their careers. Bonds was bad in the field toward the end of his career, but so was Griffey. Griffey in the 2000s was a pathetic fielder. Meanwhile, Bonds was waaaaaaaay better than Griffey at hitting, and did it longer. Yes, Griffey was a better fielder than Bonds, which is why he played CF, while Bonds simply played great in LF. However, Bonds was on another level offensively.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote