Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-02-2010, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
It really compromises everything. There needs to be consistency and for that to happen MLB would have to overrule every bad call made at 1B from here on out which would be impossible.
No it doesn't. Because no one disputes or even cares about a safe or out call the next day if it doesn't change the outcome of a game or negate something historic like this.

There's only a handful of instances when a single call like this was SOLELY responsible for the outcome of the game OR the prevention of a historic achievement.

The Matt Holliday safe at home call in Game 163 vs. SD is one example, but there aren't many more.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All calls play a part in determining the outcome a game...you need to be consistent. Can't just pick and choose
No they don't. Just as we argued in the hockey thread, calls tend to even out over the course of a game, but if there is no opportunity for the calls to even out (because the game is determined then and there by a missed call), then by all means, find a way to prevent such calls. It's all about verification.

If instant replay is put in place, there will obviously be a strict list of circumstances that can be reviewed. Anyone who argues that instant replay will compromise baseball is clearly just a fan who hasn't been on the wrong end of an important call. They have it in every other sport.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
No it doesn't. Because no one disputes or even cares about a safe or out call the next day if it doesn't change the outcome of a game or negate something historic like this.

There's only a handful of instances when a single call like this was SOLELY responsible for the outcome of the game OR the prevention of a historic achievement.

The Matt Holliday safe at home call in Game 163 vs. SD is one example, but there aren't many more.
Again...every single call(right or wrong) effects the game. For example today Sean Rodriguez rounded third and scored but the ump said he didn't touch third base and was called out, even though he did touch the bag. Instead of the score being 2-2 it was then 2-1. This clearly effected the outcome of the game(even if it did end in a blowout). You think MLB should retroactively switch this call?
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Managers would have the option to pick and choose if you went with an NFL type system

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No they don't. Just as we argued in the hockey thread, calls tend to even out over the course of a game, but if there is no opportunity for the calls to even out (because the game is determined then and there by a missed call), then by all means, find a way to prevent such calls. It's all about verification.

If instant replay is put in place, there will obviously be a strict list of circumstances that can be reviewed. Anyone who argues that instant replay will compromise baseball is clearly just a fan who hasn't been on the wrong end of an important call. They have it in every other sport.
You can't just use that reasoning to justify that every call doesn't affect the game. As the person who bitches the most about reffing in the NHL thread...I expect you to understand this

I am not against instant replay. I am against retroactively changing calls under any circumstance.
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. 2nd base ump blows a call every bit as bad as the Detroit call to give the Mariners the win over the Twins. What a joke.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Again...every single call(right or wrong) effects the game. For example today Sean Rodriguez rounded third and scored but the ump said he didn't touch third base and was called out, even though he did touch the bag. Instead of the score being 2-2 it was then 2-1. This clearly effected the outcome of the game(even if it did end in a blowout). You think MLB should retroactively switch this call?
No, I don't think they should fix that call. I think they should have had replay in place to fix that mistake in roughly 30 seconds time.

MLB can fix this because it DID NOT effect the outcome of the game AND represents a significant blemish on the history books. For a sport with such a rich history, they sure as hell don't try very hard to ensure that it remains untarnished.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Wow. 2nd base ump blows a call every bit as bad as the Detroit call to give the Mariners the win over the Twins. What a joke.
I mean obviously it should be switched tomorrow. I wouldn't worry and if MLB doesn't, well, they are acting like dinosaurs then.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
That was goddamn pathetic. How do you miss that?

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
No, I don't think they should fix that call. I think they should have had replay in place to fix that mistake in roughly 30 seconds time.

MLB can fix this because it DID NOT effect the outcome of the game AND represents a significant blemish on the history books. For a sport with such a rich history, they sure as hell don't try very hard to ensure that it remains untarnished.
Once you start fixing any calls...you have to start fixing all calls. MLB can't just go around picking and choosing. That would be total ********.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Once you start fixing any calls...you have to start fixing all calls. MLB can't just go around picking and choosing. That would be total ********.
They wouldn't be. You institute instant replay and be done with it. Everything fixes itself.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
They wouldn't be. You institute instant replay and be done with it. Everything fixes itself.
I am all for instant replay. But what you are saying is a different issue. You want them to retroactively switch a call the day after. That is what my post was referring to
Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I am all for instant replay. But what you are saying is a different issue. You want them to retroactively switch a call the day after. That is what my post was referring to
Yes, a play that has no effect on the outcome of the game, that was immediately regrettable by every single person involved in the sport. A play that will drive fans away from the sport. A play that will be a black eye on the sport for a very long time.

You would not hear a peep out of me (or anyone else) if the play had happened in the in the 8th inning, or the 5th inning, or the 1st inning.

The scoring of plays are changed ALL THE TIME in baseball AFTER the game. Hits become errors. Errors become hits. The only thing preventing such a change is stubbornness on the part of the league. There is no debate. The call was blown, and you have the means to amend it.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yes, a play that has no effect on the outcome of the game, that was immediately regrettable by every single person involved in the sport. A play that will drive fans away from the sport. A play that will be a black eye on the sport for a very long time.

You would not hear a peep out of me (or anyone else) if the play had happened in the in the 8th inning, or the 5th inning, or the 1st inning.

The scoring of plays are changed ALL THE TIME in baseball AFTER the game. Hits become errors. Errors become hits. The only thing preventing such a change is stubbornness on the part of the league. There is no debate. The call was blown, and you have the means to amend it.
Changing this wouldn't be a changing in scoring. So the fact that that is changed after the game is completely irrelevant.

The only thing preventing is not wanting to set a new standard in MLB. Bad calls(however annoying and preventable they are) have been and still are a part of the game, and that is something every baseball player or fan has to currently live with. Once you start changing calls the day after it would only be fair to change all calls the day after.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

How difficult would it be to implement a review procedure for any controversial calls in a no-hit or perfect game bid, after, say, the 6th inning?

This is what every fan dreams of when they attend a game: To witness history, something they will never see again in a lifetime.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How difficult would it be to implement a review procedure for any controversial calls in a no-hit or perfect game bid, after, say, the 6th inning?

This is what every fan dreams of when they attend a game: To witness history, something they will never see again in a lifetime.
That massive crowd of 17k plus!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Changing this wouldn't be a changing in scoring. So the fact that that is changed after the game is completely irrelevant.

The only thing preventing is not wanting to set a new standard in MLB. Bad calls(however annoying and preventable they are) have been and still are a part of the game, and that is something every baseball player or fan has to currently live with. Once you start changing calls the day after it would only be fair to change all calls the day after.
We will never see eye to eye on this. If it doesn't effect the outcome of a game, and directly prevents history from being made at the most crucial juncture of the game, then step in and change it.

I am so tired of hearing that this stuff is "part of the game." **** that! It does not have to be part of the game. MLB CHOOSES to have it as a part of the game. The sport would be better off for it. Who would contest such a change if it ultimately gets it RIGHT!?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:

There are so many ******* flaws in that review procedure. What happens if the play happens in the 7th inning. And the baserunner ends up scoring a run(through stolent bases...lets say), you give the guy a perfect game? I mean that would be the stupidest ******* thing ever.

To that second part....cool beans. Why not just not allow batter to swing the ******* bat. Then you will get to see tons of perfect games and lots of history.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they're going to have to institute some kind of extended replay after this. A 5th umpire in the clubhouse watching every single replay of an out, safe, foul, fair, fan interference should be fine. If they see a problem, buzz in and take 30-60 extra seconds to get a clear look.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
We will never see eye to eye on this. If it doesn't effect the outcome of a game, and directly prevents history from being made at the most crucial juncture of the game, then step in and change it.

I am so tired of hearing that this stuff is "part of the game." **** that! It does not have to be part of the game. MLB CHOOSES to have it as a part of the game. The sport would be better off for it. Who would contest such a change if it ultimately gets it RIGHT!?

You being a Tigers fan....it is correct we will never see eye to eye. you can't just let MLB pick and choose when it is legit and when it isn't. I mean I am surprised you want to put so much power into the men who you constantly bash as being stupid.

You continue to go back to instant replay and how it would be great. I ******* AGREE. I am just saying that there is none now and because of that you can't retroactively change ****.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
I think they're going to have to institute some kind of extended replay after this. A 5th umpire in the clubhouse watching every single replay of an out, safe, foul, fair, fan interference should be fine. If they see a problem, buzz in and take 30-60 extra seconds to get a clear look.
I would be fine with this even though it would slow down the game so ******* much. Every single remotely close call the managers would be bitching to get a replay.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Chucky, I know damn well that, in theory, you can't change it. I am merely arguing the principle of it all. I know damn well they would never overturn the call tonight. But if something doesn't come of this situation (a change to future procedure) then we have every reason to bash MLB.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I would be fine with this even though it would slow down the game so ******* much. Every single remotely close call the managers would be bitching to get a replay.
I don't think they would. I think they would accept ANY improvement over the current system. It doesn't make the playing field uneven to have more replay.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Chucky, I know damn well that, in theory, you can't change it. I am merely arguing the principle of it all. I know damn well they would never overturn the call tonight. But if something doesn't come of this situation (a change to future procedure) then we have every reason to bash MLB.
Jeez...why didn't you just say so instead of me arguing with you.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

chucky is being illogical just to argue

very jewy of him

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote