Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still say you can change the Armando call. Yes, it would be contrary to past controversies that were not called, but again, this call is independent of wins and losses. It is a play that is not comparable to anything else we've seen in history.

Please don't let this ignite another lengthy debate over this. I never for a moment thought that Selig would actually overturn the ruling today, but it is within his power to do so. It's a ******* perfect game wiped away. It's an isolated moment in history that was negated. It's just a black eye on a sport that's been dragged through the mud too many times in recent years.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Someone on ESPN was making the point that Jim Joyce will be more affected by than Armando in the long run. If Selig changed the call it would save Joyce from all the things he's going to get everyday in other parks and not to mention his whole life. Selig should change it for Joyce and not GaGa.
Apparently he's already gotten death threats called in at his house. Obviously that's just nut job fans, but it only takes 1.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:11 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Havent read this drawn out conversation...but traditions aside, a lot of people are just worried that this will greatly extend the games, and it just wont. We're talking a matter of single digit minutes, if anything. It's not like we're going to need 5 reviews per game...the vast majority of games, still wouldnt even see any reviewed calls. A few extra minutes, a small price to pay for getting things correct.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Sounds good to me. It's worked for 100 years. And baseball is doing as well as ever.
You're just saying that because the Yankees get more calls than any team in baseball (see: Mauer "foul ball" and Jeffrey Maier).

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about the around the bag plays at 2nd that everyone makes? Would you guys think those all of a sudden those become reviewed? Stolen base attempts? I could go on and on. Adding replay would certainly add more time to the game. As I said that would be fine but you need to get rid of things also then. The 5th umpire thing makes the most sense to me but it would add some time.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
What about the around the bag plays at 2nd that everyone makes? Would you guys think those all of a sudden those become reviewed? Stolen base attempts? I could go on and on. Adding replay would certainly add more time to the game. As I said that would be fine but you need to get rid of things also then.
NO IT WOULDNT WITH A FIFTH UMPIRE WATCHING SEVERAL TV'S AND COMMUNICATING THROUGH A HEADSET. WOULD YOU LISTEN GF, IT'S LIKE IM SPEAKING ON DEAF EARS HERE.

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would have been truly unbearable to have slowed that 1 hour and 44 minute game to a complete halt for 3 minutes last night.

God, I bet everyone would have just shut off their televisions and radios and went to do something productive with their lives. Gotta balance that check book and mow the lawn sometime, am I right?!

Would have been a damn shame for all of those paying customers to have had to wait 30 ******* seconds to have the satisfaction of a correctly called play.

[/sarcastic rant]

In all seriousness, replay wouldn't slow down the games at any significant rate. I have never once complained about the length of a baseball game and I doubt I ever will.

You could easily balance any potential delays by simply limiting the number of (unnecessary) mound visits.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I still say you can change the Armando call. Yes, it would be contrary to past controversies that were not called, but again, this call is independent of wins and losses. It is a play that is not comparable to anything else we've seen in history.

Please don't let this ignite another lengthy debate over this. I never for a moment thought that Selig would actually overturn the ruling today, but it is within his power to do so. It's a ******* perfect game wiped away. It's an isolated moment in history that was negated. It's just a black eye on a sport that's been dragged through the mud too many times in recent years.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 AM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sounds good to me. It's worked for 100 years. And baseball is doing as well as ever.
Not allowing blacks to play worked for 50 years too. Just because something is tradition shouldnt mean its acceptable.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the way college football does it where every play is immediately reviewed and Brodeur's 5th ump can call down when he sees something that needs to be overturned it wouldn't take that much extra time, probably less time than it would take for the manager and player to whine for no reason.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
You're just saying that because the Yankees get more calls than any team in baseball (see: Mauer "foul ball" and Jeffrey Maier).
Not every call. We protested a game the other week against the Red Sox we were right about and had it shot down by the commish.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It would have been truly unbearable to have slowed that 1 hour and 44 minute game to a complete halt for 3 minutes last night.

God, I bet everyone would have just shut off their televisions and radios and went to do something productive with their lives. Gotta balance that check book and mow the lawn sometime, am I right?!

Would have been a damn shame for all of those paying customers to have had to wait 30 ******* seconds to have the satisfaction of a correctly called play.

[/sarcastic rant]

In all seriousness, replay wouldn't slow down the games at any significant rate. I have never once complained about the length of a baseball game and I doubt I ever will.

You could easily balance any potential delays by simply limiting the number of (unnecessary) mound visits.
If managers had the right to review every close call they would absolutely use that right whenever they had the opportunity which would indeed slow down the game dramatically. And while the length of the game may never matter to you specifically it is one of MLB's biggest problems right now
Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
NO IT WOULDNT WITH A FIFTH UMPIRE WATCHING SEVERAL TV'S AND COMMUNICATING THROUGH A HEADSET. WOULD YOU LISTEN GF, IT'S LIKE IM SPEAKING ON DEAF EARS HERE.

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
I added the 5th umpire thing before you posted. It's by far the best idea I've heard. Without adding time but what would we do about phantom plays at 2nd that every middle IF does. Do we get rid of stuff like that if we add replay?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Peefs????? View Post
Not allowing blacks to play worked for 50 years too. Just because something is tradition shouldnt mean its acceptable.
Way to use a fair comparison.
Chucky
All-NFLDC

I believe Felix Hernandez just had 4 Ks in an inning if that makes every sense.

- D. Span struck out looking
- M. Tolbert struck out swinging
- J. Mauer struck out, reached on wild pitch
- J. Morneau struck out looking
- End of Inning (0 Runs, 0 Hits, 0 Errors)

WTF?
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
If managers had the right to review every close call they would absolutely use that right whenever they had the opportunity which would indeed slow down the game dramatically. And while the length of the game may never matter to you specifically it is one of MLB's biggest problems right now
Good god man, what led you to believe that would be the system to be implemented?

No chance in hell would there be unlimited review at the behest of the managers.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yup that's the only way to get 4 K's in an inning. It's happened before.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Good god man, what led you to believe that would be the system to be implemented?

No chance in hell would there be unlimited review at the behest of the managers.
no unlimited review? But then what if Leyland had already used up all his reviews before the final out? Would you still want MLB to overturn it?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 AM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Way to use a fair comparison.
Ya it was pretty good, thanks for noticing.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I added the 5th umpire thing before you posted. It's by far the best idea I've heard. Without adding time but what would we do about phantom plays at 2nd that every middle IF does. Do we get rid of stuff like that if we add replay?
I think the phantom plays at 2B is a generally accepted rule that equally effects all teams. Unless you notice certain players who get away with it more as part of some secret gameplan ...

And again, you'd have a SET LIST of things that could be overturned. Same as in the NFL. Home runs, fair or foul balls perhaps, and plays at home plate, etc.

Not everything needs to be subject to replay. ANY additions to the replay rules would be beneficial to getting a higher percentage of the calls correct. Just make it damn clear what is reviewable and what isn't. At least them everyone is playing under the same understanding.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Who are the 10 best pitchers in baseball that you would take for the next 3 years? Mine in no particular order are Halladay, Lincecum, Greinke, Jiminez, Hernandez, Verlander, Santana, Haren, Lee, and Sabathia. Let more arguing ensue.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only a matter of time before Medlen replaces Kawakami in the rotation. Kris is pitching a gem tonight.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Who are the 10 best pitchers in baseball that you would take for the next 3 years? Mine in no particular order are Halladay, Lincecum, Greinke, Jiminez, Hernandez, Verlander, Santana, Haren, Lee, and Sabathia. Let more arguing ensue.
Johan Santana?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
no unlimited review? But then what if Leyland had already used up all his reviews before the final out? Would you still want MLB to overturn it?
I don't want ANY review that's triggered by the managers. Have a 5th official. Have an officials office somewhere that is watching all of the games (like they do in the NHL) and can independently rule on cases of tremendous significance.

You don't need a lot of replay, you just need enough so that the blatantly obvious, indisputably significant calls can be gotten correct.

When a call is made, and every god damn person in the ******* country can immediately see the error of it, and you don't fix it out of shear idiocy and commitment to some fictitious doctrine of "rules," then there is a problem.

Last edited by Xiomera : 06-04-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Johan Santana?
Yeah besides the one start against Philly he's been great all year.

sig by BoneKrusher