Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lineup

1. Jason Bartlett SS
2. Carl Crawford LF
3. Evan Longoria 3B
4. Carlos Pena 1B
5. Ben Zobrist 2B
6. Matt Joyce/Gabe Kapler RF
7. Pat Burrell DH
8. B.J. Upton CF
9. Kelly Shoppach/Fat Navarro C

Starters

1. James Shields
2. Matt Garza
3. Jeff Niemmann
4. David Price
5. Wade Davis

Pen:
CL Rafael Soriano
SU Grant Balfour
MR Dan Wheeler
MR Lance Cormier
MR Randy Choate
MR Joaquin Benoit
LR Andy Sonnanstine

J.P. Howell will start on DL, be back in May.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I think Pagan will win the CF spot while Beltran is gone.

Disagree. He's clearly better, but let's not forget, this is Jerry Manuel and Omar Minaya. We had absolutely no reason to trade for Matthews and yet we still did, so I'm going to assume we have it in mind for him to be the starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I agree, but ATL is a pessimist and putting GMJ in at CF fits his mold of thinking.
It fits my mold of thinking because the Mets are a terrible organization. We tried to get GMJ all winter for a reason. This most sickening quote came just 2 days ago:

"The center field part is very important to us right now. We came in here with the mantra that we’re going to catch the baseball, play good defense, that type of thing, so we’ll see how that turns out. But right now, we have Gary and Angel slated for that spot."

So, I think it's more than fair to assume GMJ is in an open competition, and he's got better spring numbers, which is probably the most important thing in the world to Jerry. You might be able to convince me that we are trying to showcase him, but no one wanted him from the Angles for free (except for us), so why would anyone possibly want him now?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Disagree. He's clearly better, but let's not forget, this is Jerry Manuel and Omar Minaya. We had absolutely no reason to trade for Matthews and yet we still did, so I'm going to assume we have it in mind for him to be the starter.

It fits my mold of thinking because the Mets are a terrible organization. We tried to get GMJ all winter for a reason. This most sickening quote came just 2 days ago:

"The center field part is very important to us right now. We came in here with the mantra that we’re going to catch the baseball, play good defense, that type of thing, so we’ll see how that turns out. But right now, we have Gary and Angel slated for that spot."

So, I think it's more than fair to assume GMJ is in an open competition, and he's got better spring numbers, which is probably the most important thing in the world to Jerry. You might be able to convince me that we are trying to showcase him, but no one wanted him from the Angles for free (except for us), so why would anyone possibly want him now?
Well there have been reports that the Reds are interested in GMJ, and you know how Dusty Baker loves him some gritty players!

And we're not a terribly run organization. We are certainly stupid though if GMJ is our everyday center fielder until Carlos returns, and we stunt Mejia's growth by putting him in the pen.

Say what you will about the Mets, but we're not terrible. Are we below average considering the payroll we put out? Yes, I'd say so.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:21 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
whoa my friend....whoa!

One of best friends from our college team last year is in the Orioles organization, and is said to be their number 1 catching prospect. He actually got called up to Big league spring training last week.

Im sorry if this offends any O's fans but i think he may be your guys' future behind the dish, because i believe Wieters is bound for first base....

....just my opinion though. Im sorry if i made you guys mad lol

Caleb Joseph?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
Caleb Joseph?
No its not Joseph...his name is Brian Ward...if you get a chance to see him play defense behind the dish, you will be very happy with what you see.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Off the top of my head...

Baltimore Orioles

2B Brian Roberts
CF Adam Jones
RF Nick Markakis
LF Nolan Reimold
3B Miggy Tejada
DH Luke Scott
C Matt Wieters
1B Garret Atkins
SS Cesar Izturis

BENCH

INF Robert Andino
UTI Ty Wigginton
OF Felix Pie
C Chad Moeller

SP1- Kevin Millwood
SP2- Jeremy Guthrie
SP3- Brad Bergesen
SP4- Brian Matusz
SP5- Chris Tillman

CL- Mike Gonzalez
SU- Jim Johnson
RP- Kam Mickolio
RP- Koji Uehara
RP- Mark Hendrickson
RP- Cla Meredith/David Hernandez?
RP- Will Ohlman
Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can definitely see Cla in the bullpen, but I love the guy. Hendrickson/Uehara is interchangeable

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
No its not Joseph...his name is Brian Ward...if you get a chance to see him play defense behind the dish, you will be very happy with what you see.
Ward isn't really a top prospect by any means, cool story though

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Well there have been reports that the Reds are interested in GMJ, and you know how Dusty Baker loves him some gritty players!

And we're not a terribly run organization. We are certainly stupid though if GMJ is our everyday center fielder until Carlos returns, and we stunt Mejia's growth by putting him in the pen.

Say what you will about the Mets, but we're not terrible. Are we below average considering the payroll we put out? Yes, I'd say so.

The Reds stuff turned out to be false. And we certainly are terribly run. With the amount of money we spend, we should be in the playoffs rather easily every year. We make far too many poor baseball decisions and haven't been able to accomplish anything. I'd say that constitutes being terribly run.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
Ward isn't really a top prospect by any means, cool story though
Fisch ol buddy, whats your take on the "Manbeast" Jake Arrieta? I know he cooled last season once hitting AAA, but any thoughts on what this year might entail for him and the big club?

And as much as Matt is godly, Brian Matusz is that and more on the pitching side.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So with Nathan going down my RP are hurting already.

The best option I can find right now is Franklin Morales. Ugh. Got any recommendations that can be picked off the FA trash heap?

Rauch and Perez are gone.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Fisch ol buddy, whats your take on the "Manbeast" Jake Arrieta? I know he cooled last season once hitting AAA, but any thoughts on what this year might entail for him and the big club?

And as much as Matt is godly, Brian Matusz is that and more on the pitching side.
Barring injury, there is nothing that's going to hold Jake back from reaching Baltimore this year. Now whether that's as a SP or RP is a different story. I can't imagine they wouldn't give him a chance at starting first, but a lot of people think he's going to end up as a reliever.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:20 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shaun Marcum named opening day starter. I knew he was a lock for a rotation spot, however, I had no idea he was thought of this highly by the coaching staff. He only made his spring debut last week after missing all of last season to Tommy John surgery. This was Ricky Romero's competition to lose, and through a quick glance at his spring stats, that doesn't appear to be the case here.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:23 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Attention:

Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Attention:

Yawn. Let me know when the kid learns how to hit. Defensively, no question, the kid is a stud.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
Yawn. Let me know when the kid learns how to hit. Defensively, no question, the kid is a stud.
He beat up rookie ball and was passable in Single A at 19. He's not incapable of hitting.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
He beat up rookie ball and was passable in Single A at 19. He's not incapable of hitting.
What you're trying to say is he's the black Matt Wieters.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ahem...

Old 03-22-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
Barring injury, there is nothing that's going to hold Jake back from reaching Baltimore this year. Now whether that's as a SP or RP is a different story. I can't imagine they wouldn't give him a chance at starting first, but a lot of people think he's going to end up as a reliever.
Appreciate the insight, as much as I'm excited for this team this year I still can't make the full switch to baseball just yet.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any cause for concern after the Pujols MRI?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Matt Wieters is black, white, Asian, and every other ethnicity. There is no other Matt Wieters in existence.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Brian Matusz will be Jesus to Matt Wieters God.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Brian Matusz will be Jesus to Matt Wieters God.
Jesus already exists and he will play for the Yankees. Perhaps he gives Wieters a run for his money.

That look just impregnated half the women in the greater NY area.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Most DH's don't give Wieters too much trouble.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Most DH's don't give Wieters too much trouble.
Haha. When they're both DHs he will. And I think he catches for a few years. He's convinced me enough in spring training that he can catch good enough to stay there for now.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote