Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-05-2010, 05:21 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey I know it's months away but is there a fantasy baseball league you guys do? I want to get in on a league this year but I only know people interested in fantasy football.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I would love to bring him back. ...and Texas loves Vlad too.

Who were the teams other than Texas going for him last year? I want to know who the competition might be.
I'd be surprised if Vlad didn't get a pretty good contract offer. I mean despite being older and pretty much limited to DH, he was hitting 4th in a world series lineup. He is a very desirable tool for a manager as well since he can hit anything. You can call hit and runs with extreme confidence and when the rest of your team can't get to a pitcher that keeps throwing breaking balls in the dirt, Vlad is the guy to break a slump and throw off the tempo of a pitcher throwing great.

The Brewers new manager, in case you missed it:
Ron Roenicke, former LAA bench coach

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who are some guys you want to sign in the offseason? For the Pirates:

1 or 2 of:

Rich Harden, Jeremy Bonderman, Kevin Correia, Jeff Francis, Kevin Millwood, Jon Garland, and Erik Bedard

A 1B or OF like:

Andy Marte, Russell Branyan, Austin Kearns, Bill Hall, Jorge Cantu, Jeremy Hermida, and Lyle Overbay

Possibly a short stop like Orlando Cabrera or Nick Punto.

Some more relievers.

I know a lot of these guys are wishful thinking, but I believe they could land one or two of the FA starters up there that I listed.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of course days after I say Montero will never play for the Yankees, they claim they want him to hopefully grab the catcher job out of spring training. We'll see if it's true or just talking up his ability behind the plate for a trade.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Who are some guys you want to sign in the offseason?
The Brewers need starting pitching like crazy. I think they trade Prince Fielder for pitching and sign a 1st baseman.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His bat can already play in the majors that's for sure. It would be a mistake to get rid of him when Jorge's career is winding down though. I'm not convinced Romine can hit yet even with all the glowing scouting reports on him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
His bat can already play in the majors that's for sure. It would be a mistake to get rid of him when Jorge's career is winding down though. I'm not convinced Romine can hit yet even with all the glowing scouting reports on him.
Well BA has soured on him too. He fell to 6th on the Yankees list. I'm not sure he'll ever hit for decent power, but I expect to hit for better average than he did this year. Here's their list

1. Jesus Montero
2. Gary Sanchez
3. Dellin Betances
4. Manny Banuelos
5. Andrew Brackman
6. Austin Romine
7. Hector Noesi
8. Eduardo Nunez
9. Slade Heathcott
10. Brandon Laird
Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought that was coming out on the 10th.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
I thought that was coming out on the 10th.
Apparently it was supposed to be today and then pushed back to the 10th. But it somehow got out in print editions? I'm not sure.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Do you like that list? I'm sitting on the fence about your top 10.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

The Mets and Hisanoria Takahashi split ways. He was looking for 3 years $15 million for some reason. He's actually a pretty good 4th or 5th starter or a nice bullpen piece on a winning team. I could see the Yankees making a run for him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
The Brewers need starting pitching like crazy. I think they trade Prince Fielder for pitching and sign a 1st baseman.
I would love for the Jays to make a run at Prince. They definately have the young pitching to make a legit offer.

IN other news, BA came out with the Jays updated top ten prospects:

1. Kyle Drabek, rhp
2. Deck McGuire, rhp
3. Anthony Gose, of
4. Travis D'Arnaud, c
5. Zach Stewart, rhp
6. Asher Wojciechowski, rhp
7. J.P. Arencibia, c
8. Carlos Perez, c
9. Aaron Sanchez, rhp
10. Jake Marisnick, of

Complete overhaul from when AA first got here. Can anyone give me some info on how the list looks, I don't know much about Minor League Baseball.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It looks average to me. I don't like Drabek all that much but Deck and Gose are intriguing as we said in IRC. I'm suprised Arencibia isn't higher.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see why Travis d'Arnaud is so goddamn high.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I don't see why Travis d'Arnaud is so goddamn high.
Hype from the Halladay trade?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hype from the Halladay trade?
It's this "offensive tools" **** when he hasn't done anything since a short stint in low A in 2008 and an even shorter stint in A in the same year. He's a good defensive catcher, but I don't see why he's rated higher than JP, other than age.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
It's this "offensive tools" **** when he hasn't done anything since a short stint in low A in 2008 and an even shorter stint in A in the same year. He's a good defensive catcher, but I don't see why he's rated higher than JP, other than age.
I'm with you on that. I still enjoy BA but they have really slipped the last 3 years in my mind. Their rankings get weirder every year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

If they rank Ynoa this year, then I'll believe they are completely lost. They always have a tendency to over rank Engel Beltre for the Rangers though, so I'll keep my eye on that as well.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'd be suprised if Ynoa was still ranked considering his past at this point. They go tools and draft position/international signing bonus way too much over actual production these days.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

I do read BA for prospect reports, but I'd put BP, Keith Law, Sickels and some others above them in terms of actually prospect rating at this point.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

BP and Keith Law absolutely. Sickels is too wishy/washy for me but he's still good. I still love the BA handbook though for my go to information, I just don't look at the actual rankings as much as I used to.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What do you think of the Jays farm system overall? Also, why isnt the Cuban SS that the Jays signed on that list?
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
What do you think of the Jays farm system overall? Also, why isnt the Cuban SS that the Jays signed on that list?
Eh, it's all right I guess but I don't like it all that much. I'm not a fan of Gose or d'Arnaud at all (what the **** is with the Gose fetish at BA?), but I like the young pitching in the system.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 11-05-2010, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Eh, it's all right I guess but I don't like it all that much. I'm not a fan of Gose or d'Arnaud at all (what the **** is with the Gose fetish at BA?), but I like the young pitching in the system.
It's the tools, which is why I'm intrigued. I don't get D'Arnaud as we discussed.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

I don't see Gose as anything better than a poor mans Bossman Junior (the current crappy one, not the one that was awesome).

RIP TheManInBlack