Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well just the Lee money alone was a large "saving." You couldn't take it to the fanbase saying you signed zero players so you had to make at least one move. It's going to look bad if Soriano opts out of the contract after one year though.
I like the opt outs. I think it's ridiculous money anyways for Soriano but we have plenty of it. If he can help us this year and then let us get back all the money in year 2 and 3, I'm all for it. I don't think he opts out after year 1 anyway. After year 2 maybe, if Rivera is still dominating and pitching and comes back yet again.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be a little worried about his FB rate in your park. Also, to lose your first round pick for a one year player is just a bad way to run the team.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tampa Bay isn't exactly a pitchers park is it?

31st pick means nothing, we have a sup 1st and we'll get talent by going over slot in the later rounds.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Tampa Bay isn't exactly a pitchers park is it?

31st pick means nothing, we have a sup 1st and we'll get talent by going over slot in the later rounds.
It's more of a pitchers park compared to Yankee Stadium. So the 31st pick means nothing but the 49 pick does?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Jeff Francis to the Royals. Damn.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like losing the first pick but that late in the first round it's a crap shoot anyway. We can get just as good of a player 20-50 picks later. Looking at our top 10 prospects, I believe only 2 were first rounders anyway.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's more of a pitchers park compared to Yankee Stadium. So the 31st pick means nothing but the 49 pick does?
No, the fact that we have the 49th, makes the 31st pick expendable.

Of course I don't want to be giving up my pick year in and year out for relievers. But on occasion, I see no issue.
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jeff Francis to the Royals. Damn.
I wanted the Pirates to sign him. I hope the Pirates sign one of Bonderman, Millwood, Young, or Duchscherer before ST.
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I don't like losing the first pick but that late in the first round it's a crap shoot anyway. We can get just as good of a player 20-50 picks later. Looking at our top 10 prospects, I believe only 2 were first rounders anyway.
Well that's probably because you hardly ever have 1st round picks.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I think we're a lock to sign Young now that Francis signed.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Quote:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/draft/20.shtml

How often do we not have a 1st?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
We have recently. The recent ones still in the minors. Hughes and Kennedy pitching in the majors. But with our ability to pay overslot in the mid rounds (Austin Jackson amongst others) and to splurge in the carribean and south america, the 31st pick isn't nearly as important for us as it is for the Tampa Bay Rays. I'm more mad about giving it to Tampa Bay rather than a out of division team.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Bad job out of me. That's what happens when you assume. I forgot you got a 1st round pick for not signing Cole as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

If you had Soriano locked up guaranteed for more than one year I wouldn't even think it's that big a deal. To sign a setup man for one year though regardless of your budget throughout the rest of the draft is a bad idea IMO.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Quote:
Bad job out of me. That's what happens when you assume. I forgot you got a 1st round pick for not signing Cole as well.
It was a fair assumption, we have just let plenty of talent leave as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Quote:
If you had Soriano locked up guaranteed for more than one year I wouldn't even think it's that big a deal. To sign a setup man for one year though regardless of your budget throughout the rest of the draft is a bad idea IMO.

Think about it, Soriano only opts out if he believes he can get more, i.e. he continues dominance. We can agree on that?

We offer him arbitration if he opts out after year 1. Pick back + another.

I don't believe there is any agreement to not offer arb.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Think about it, Soriano only opts out if he believes he can get more, i.e. he continues dominance. We can agree on that?

We offer him arbitration if he opts out after year 1. Pick back + another.

I don't believe there is any agreement to not offer arb.
He could opt out if he gets similar money and the chance to close. We overpaid anyway, not that it matters. If he wants to leave after one year, I don't really care. The money could be better spent in other offeseasons anyway. It makes our team better this year when we could be in a transition period with our starters until we might get one midseason.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I wanted the Pirates to sign him. I hope the Pirates sign one of Bonderman, Millwood, Young, or Duchscherer before ST.
I think the Pirates would do well for themselves to sign the trifecta of Bonderman, Duchscherer and Young. Those guys are all wild cards who will come cheap and if just one of the three pans out you're in a good spot.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I think the Pirates would do well for themselves to sign the trifecta of Bonderman, Duchscherer and Young. Those guys are all wild cards who will come cheap and if just one of the three pans out you're in a good spot.
I'd rather sign just one. Correia, McDonald, Maholm, and Dorf are a not bad foursome. I do not have confidence in Scott Olsen, Brad Lincoln, or Charlie Morton. That's why I wouldn't mind bringing in Bonderman/Duke/Young to compete with them. Olsen could be a solid LOGGY IMO.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Francis' deal with KC is for $2 million base with $2 million ins bonuses based on starts and innings pitched...WOW surprised it was that cheap to get him
Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Mets to sign Willie Harris.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Mets to sign Willie Harris.
It's only a minor league deal but he'll have a shot to be our 4th or 5th OF. Good defense hopefully even though metrics are pretty average on him. No bat but we'll see if he even makes the team.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
It's only a minor league deal but he'll have a shot to be our 4th or 5th OF. Good defense hopefully even though metrics are pretty average on him. No bat but we'll see if he even makes the team.
I'm a Willie Harris fan.

Cards sign Miguel Bautista and Ian Snell to minor league deals.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Twins re-sign Thome for a year.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Twins re-sign Thome for a year.
Don't really know what to think of last year, but I can't complain for $3M.